Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Role reversal on the tflops this time around, but a much smaller gap

Xbox One was 1.31 tflop vs 1.84 tflop for PS4 = 40% more

PS5 is 10.24 tflop vs 12.16 for Series X = 18% more
  • davidfowles 19 Mar 2020 01:21:10 211 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Depending on the exclusives or advantages Microsoft reveal, it may be the first generation where I get both consoles. Iíve had a one-at-a-time policy for... well, always, though I have switched sides occasionally mid stream (eg when Wii didnít have the flow of content to keep me interested I went to Xbox 360)

Microsoft appeared to learn their lessons from the Xbone launch hubris and are at least talking talk thatís of interest, but unless I cave and get another PS4 before PS5 launches, I think itís pretty unlikely Iíd be skipping PS5 to play Last Of Us 2 (and the unfinished stuff from my digital library).

Currently tempted to get a Switch, but their prices arenít tempting at all...
  • up_the_ante 19 Mar 2020 01:48:17 1,400 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I could go either way at the start. I think price and launch exclusives will be key. By mid generation I'll probably have both.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Mar 2020 15:14:41 29,021 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After playing the likes of Resident Evil 2 and 3 (demo), God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn I'm so impressed with the current HDR visuals that I'm going to be fucking delighted with whatever the quintuple throws at me.
  • 2dividedby0 26 Mar 2020 17:10:13 201 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How long before Sony drop some official images showing the console?
    Has there been any mention of launch titles?
    Gran Turismo is a given, but that could show up 5 years after launch!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Mar 2020 17:14:03 9,593 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    After playing the likes of Resident Evil 2 and 3 (demo), God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn I'm so impressed with the current HDR visuals that I'm going to be fucking delighted with whatever the quintuple throws at me.
    Are we calling it the quintuple?
  • Cobalt_Jackal 26 Mar 2020 17:23:52 233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My opinion on the PS5 are thus: I think if we're being honest(i feel like Mark Cerny defo was not being honest or realistic during the recent reveal), in real world reality the PS5 will be struggling to match the Microsoft Series X on multi-plats, and that GPU will be throttled to shit when it tries to get there. That notional 10.2 TF will be actually be at 9.2 most of the time, maybe even less to save costs/$$$ on the cooling needed. Meanwhile you have Series X... full power, all the time, no messing about with frequencies. And the slower CPU in PS5 won't help either. Especially if that 3.5GHZ is with SMT.

Infact it appears Sony are playing with the numbers to make the PS5 look more powerful than it actually is.

As the PS5 clearly isnít capable of running the gpu at 2.2ghz with the cpu at 3.5ghz, so itís a drop in gpu or cpu required. Drop the gpu and the tflop output is reduced, drop the cpu and itís an impact to potentially framerates and anything else thatís cpu dependant (number of A.I., multiplayer count etc).

I think it will be interesting to see what the true performance it has as this boost balancing thing is a foil for sure. Based on these numbers it appears 4K/60 could be a struggle. Which is hugely dissappointing and simply not good enough. Its awful tbh. PS5 does not come across as next-gen to me, its very poorly equipped and underpowered. Leaves alot to be desired quite frankly. Idk what Mark Cerny is thinking with this design tbh, seems extremely unbalanced af and underpowered.

Edited by Cobalt_Jackal at 17:25:14 26-03-2020

Edited by Cobalt_Jackal at 17:28:05 26-03-2020
  • Rhaegyr 26 Mar 2020 17:47:23 5,198 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does performance/visual quality really matter when the gaps are so close nowadays? It's not like comparing PS1/N64/Dreamcast versions of the same game, I can't even tell the difference between XB1 and PS4 games.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2020 18:12:25
    I said it in the other thread but for me the most exciting thing is the audio experience Sony are trying to create. Sony are the only ones trying to push something other than the standard speed/graphics bump. Next gen shouldn't just mean visuals.
  • Phattso 26 Mar 2020 18:20:43 25,744 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm not sure why "better sound" is somehow more worthy than "better visuals" in a generational leap?

It's going to be a damp squib for most users anyway, even by Sony's own admission. Great that they're doing it, and I hope they can land the feature, but not something I'm going to be able to make use of since my days of videogames blaring out of the TV at max volume are long behind me.

Subtitles, low volume, pipe and slippers for me nowadays. :D
  • Malek86 26 Mar 2020 18:31:46 10,511 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't care much about power. But there are so many things that bother me about the current consoles, and we have no idea whether they will be fixed in the next gen.

A few examples: horrible interface of the Xbox One (and PS4 isn't that much better, I might add). Horrible download speed on PS4. Lack of automatic standby options on either console. Turning on the Xbox One takes forever. Storage management on the PS4 is a goddamn mess. Etc etc.
  • Phattso 26 Mar 2020 18:35:30 25,744 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Quite apart from the leaf blower sounds. Notable that neither firm has said explicitly that they'll be quiet.
  • Bichii 26 Mar 2020 18:42:37 3,451 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I don't care much about power. But there are so many things that bother me about the current consoles, and we have no idea whether they will be fixed in the next gen.

A few examples: horrible interface of the Xbox One (and PS4 isn't that much better, I might add). Horrible download speed on PS4. Lack of automatic standby options on either console. Turning on the Xbox One takes forever. Storage management on the PS4 is a goddamn mess. Etc etc.
    PS4 auto goes into standby, in settings. I don't see what's a mess about sorting your PS4 storage.
  • Derblington 26 Mar 2020 18:59:15 33,884 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím excited by the audio stuff, mostly for VR but in general itíll be a nice addition. Is it more important than visuals? No, but we get that every time anyway, so having a push to improve another aspect of the audio/visual medium is great.
    And itíll work with headphones, so itís all good.
  • Phattso 26 Mar 2020 19:03:31 25,744 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Iím excited by the audio stuff, mostly for VR but in general itíll be a nice addition. Is it more important than visuals? No, but we get that every time anyway, so having a push to improve another aspect of the audio/visual medium is great.
    And itíll work with headphones, so itís all good.
    Aye, I'm not anti the sound stuff. I just don't see it really changing much for most people. Now... PSVR2? That's a different matter. If they can streamline VR the same way they did this gen, and nail the ergonomics again, but without the AWFUL tracking and audio solutions then I might as well just give 'em my PIN number.
  • Derblington 26 Mar 2020 19:19:30 33,884 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the majority of people will notice a difference, they just may not care about it.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2020 19:21:44
    Phattso wrote:
    I'm not sure why "better sound" is somehow more worthy than "better visuals" in a generational leap?

It's going to be a damp squib for most users anyway, even by Sony's own admission. Great that they're doing it, and I hope they can land the feature, but not something I'm going to be able to make use of since my days of videogames blaring out of the TV at max volume are long behind me.

Subtitles, low volume, pipe and slippers for me nowadays. :D
    It's not that it's 'better' than graphics, it's that it's a new approach that is genuinely different. We've watched graphics improve with diminishing returns each gen, where as audio has really stood still. I'm excited to see what they can do to push it forward, that is next gen for me.

Also, not sure they have said it'll be a damp squib.

Edited by AaronTurner at 19:22:15 26-03-2020
  • IronGiant 26 Mar 2020 19:44:36 6,130 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cobalt_Jackal wrote:
    My opinion on the PS5 are thus: I think if we're being honest(i feel like Mark Cerny defo was not being honest or realistic during the recent reveal), in real world reality the PS5 will be struggling to match the Microsoft Series X on multi-plats, and that GPU will be throttled to shit when it tries to get there. That notional 10.2 TF will be actually be at 9.2 most of the time, maybe even less to save costs/$$$ on the cooling needed. Meanwhile you have Series X... full power, all the time, no messing about with frequencies. And the slower CPU in PS5 won't help either. Especially if that 3.5GHZ is with SMT.

Infact it appears Sony are playing with the numbers to make the PS5 look more powerful than it actually is.

As the PS5 clearly isnít capable of running the gpu at 2.2ghz with the cpu at 3.5ghz, so itís a drop in gpu or cpu required. Drop the gpu and the tflop output is reduced, drop the cpu and itís an impact to potentially framerates and anything else thatís cpu dependant (number of A.I., multiplayer count etc).

I think it will be interesting to see what the true performance it has as this boost balancing thing is a foil for sure. Based on these numbers it appears 4K/60 could be a struggle. Which is hugely dissappointing and simply not good enough. Its awful tbh. PS5 does not come across as next-gen to me, its very poorly equipped and underpowered. Leaves alot to be desired quite frankly. Idk what Mark Cerny is thinking with this design tbh, seems extremely unbalanced af and underpowered.

Edited by Cobalt_Jackal at 17:25:14 26-03-2020
    Developers seem genuinely excited about the PS5, what do they know eh.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Mar 2020 20:02:31 10,569 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bet by holiday 2021 Sony is going to sell a $1000 PS5/PSVR2 bundle that includes a new version of the valve orange box. The audio stuff might be ideal for a new vr headset.
  • Phattso 26 Mar 2020 20:40:53 25,744 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Iím somewhat paraphrasing from the long list of caveats in the GDC presentation. Not optimised per individual, so might leave people with large or small ears behind. Needs to sit in the sweet spot, many homes have a TV in the corner. Depends on the TV set, etc. etc.

Not to be flippant, but this positional audio tech is hardly new. Projection of sound in clever ways to affect true surround sound is relatively commonplace. They even name check Atmos.

So. Itís Atmos, but with SDKs to enable game devs to take advantage of it, and with loads more channels, and potentially not requiring expensive sound bars.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 Mar 2020 20:52:05 16,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The SSD being able to remove restrictions on how a game is designed is the big next gen thing for me.

Allowing developers to build what they imagined and not have to twist it to get the game to work sounds great.

The GPU + CPU combo dynamic cap however sounds like it could create other issues though. (But I am not a game developer).

As someone that doesnít own a 4ktv (yet) the focus not just being on resolution is very welcome.
  • Malek86 26 Mar 2020 21:07:00 10,511 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrAGSystems the organization of the PS4 data is a pain. You have two different menus for whatever reason, savefiles take a ton of space each, and you have a separate folder for screenshots but then it turns out you cannot actually share those screenshots from the storage management menu... I don't even know what they were thinking.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2020 21:15:53
    Phattso wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Iím somewhat paraphrasing from the long list of caveats in the GDC presentation. Not optimised per individual, so might leave people with large or small ears behind. Needs to sit in the sweet spot, many homes have a TV in the corner. Depends on the TV set, etc. etc.

Not to be flippant, but this positional audio tech is hardly new. Projection of sound in clever ways to affect true surround sound is relatively commonplace. They even name check Atmos.

So. Itís Atmos, but with SDKs to enable game devs to take advantage of it, and with loads more channels, and potentially not requiring expensive sound bars.
    It's not really the same, they are trying to imitate binaural recordings. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been done before.
  • Phattso 26 Mar 2020 21:34:39 25,744 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ok. Well. Not long now until we see whatís what.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Mar 2020 21:41:19 29,021 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Are we calling it the quintuple?
    Chad Warner R.I.P
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2020 10:01:30 29,021 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The FF7 demo was the other gorgeous one I was thinking of, consistent HDR plus the extra power should provide some gorgeous games. Horizon:Zero Dawn 2 will no doubt melt my eyeballs.
    It'll be interesting to see how much of a gap there will be between this and the Xbox. As usual, I imagine the Sony exclusives will make it my first choice but the Xbox might end up replacing my PC as a 3rd party box (as well as the more promising Xbox exclusives).
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 10:23:58 33,884 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím looking at going the other way in regards to a second box, grabbing a PC rather than an Xbox. I needs me that VR goodness, and with GamePass delivering all the Xbox anyway itíll cover all the bases.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.