PS5 Page 3

• barchetta 27 Mar 2020 10:41:24 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    We are a 'green' household with 1 x 'X' and 3 x 'ones' (christ, that took some thinking about for clarity!). Also an 'ageing' PC w/1070 gfx.

I know the kids would like to try VR so PS5 with VR may be their way in.

I did go PS4 around Destiny1 launch but gravitated back to One a few years ago and went with X at RDR2 launch.

No real pull one way or the other though likely to go MS first. Love me some Halo, got 2 more yrs of GP lined up and since split screen is no longer really a thing, much cheaper to be able to keep playing with the kids too.
  • Malek86 27 Mar 2020 10:44:06 10,162 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not sure myself yet. This will be the first time in a long while that consoles exceed PC specs. Even if the XSX were around 600 euro or so, building a comparable PC should be much more expensive - and storage and GPU would probably be slower still.

I don't think that devs will take advantage of the faster storage, not when most multiplatform games have to run on PC where the vast majority of players still only have a SATA SSD, if not a mechanical drive even. I also find PC gaming more convenient for me overall, so I might do that anyway. But the value for the first couple years is probably going to be better on console. That's why I was waiting for Lockhart - it would tide me over until PC upgrades become better and cheaper in comparison.

Funny that, for once, the PC might end up being the lowest common denominator that holds consoles back.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:46:59 27-03-2020
  • IronGiant 27 Mar 2020 11:04:15 6,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I'm not sure myself yet. This will be the first time in a long while that consoles exceed PC specs. Even if the XSX were around 600 euro or so, building a comparable PC should be much more expensive - and storage and GPU would probably be slower still.

I don't think that devs will take advantage of the faster storage, not when most multiplatform games have to run on PC where the vast majority of players still only have a SATA SSD, if not a mechanical drive even. I also find PC gaming more convenient for me overall, so I might do that anyway. But the value for the first couple years is probably going to be better on console. That's why I was waiting for Lockhart - it would tide me over until PC upgrades become better and cheaper in comparison.

Funny that, for once, the PC might end up being the lowest common denominator that holds consoles back.
    It'll be the first party devs that really take advantage of the new hardware, as is usually the case to be fair. I expect my eyes to bleed with the next God of War game! ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2020 11:12:26 28,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After having a gaming PC for years, I'm definitely sticking with consoles for the foreseeable future. My 3570k/GTX970 system would cost a fortune to bring up to current master race standards for little/no personal gain over PS5/XBox plus the additional hassle.
  • Steve-Perry 27 Mar 2020 12:29:13 1,491 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Malek86 wrote:

That would be determined by value. Have they said how much these things are going to cost? They could be a grand. Brand loyalists are stupid enough to pay it, just look at phones. I have no idea if they have given prices or an indication.
  • JamboWayOh 27 Mar 2020 12:34:46 20,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    Malek86 wrote:

That would be determined by value. Have they said how much these things are going to cost? They could be a grand. Brand loyalists are stupid enough to pay it, just look at phones. I have no idea if they have given prices or an indication.
    There's no way they would be they expensive. I think we're looking at 600 quid for the Series X.
  • Steve-Perry 27 Mar 2020 12:36:49 1,491 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    That's pretty decent. I'd wait to see if they perform as well as advertised. They always say new consoles can do this and that, then you end up playing games at 30fps slideshow levels. A lot of it is marketing.
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 13:20:58 33,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíd probably pay up to £1k for a decent specced console. Itís nothing to do with brand loyalty or being stupid enough to pay it - if that was the cost, thatís the cost. For my primary entertainment platform, for the hundreds of hours I use it per year, itís not really that expensive.

I have a TV that cost £2k (and Iím about to buy a new one) and all that does is display the images from my entertainment boxes. My iPad cost £1k, and it does a few different things. Itís weird that those prices are accepted but a high specced console should be much cheaper.
  • Ron_Justice 27 Mar 2020 13:32:20 3,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a toy innit!?
  • Steve-Perry 27 Mar 2020 14:29:04 1,491 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Iíd probably pay up to £1k for a decent specced console. Itís nothing to do with brand loyalty or being stupid enough to pay it - if that was the cost, thatís the cost. For my primary entertainment platform, for the hundreds of hours I use it per year, itís not really that expensive.

I have a TV that cost £2k (and Iím about to buy a new one) and all that does is display the images from my entertainment boxes. My iPad cost £1k, and it does a few different things. Itís weird that those prices are accepted but a high specced console should be much cheaper.
    Well most people don't have 10k to throw around like you, Johnny Big Bollocks.

If you're going to pay a grand, you might as well spend a bit more and get a 2080 spec PC as it has more TERRAFLOPS than these consoles and wins.

Otherwise yeah, you're just an XBOXENIST or GREYSTATIONER.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 14:42:51 27-03-2020
  • Rhaegyr 27 Mar 2020 14:35:05 5,176 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you'll find not everyone sees a £1K tablet or £2K TV as acceptable - those markets have a huge variety of models along with a huge range of prices too.

Consoles come round once every four or five years and you usually have a choice between two or three of them.

Apples and oranges.
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Mar 2020 15:09:12 15,989 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pricing wise if Microsoft have an all singing Series X and a far cheaper model with less floppyTs they could really easily out position Sony by taking both the graphicís whores and the mass market. Leaving Sony in a midway limbo only appealing to people with their exclusives. (Something that has not always worked for Nintendo).

Currently I am leaning PS5 based on the 1st party developers but if the Series X blows the PS5 out the water on multi-plats I could be swayed. And I would not be completely put off by a bigger than normal price tag. (If I get a new Xbox it will be whatever is the premium model in their range).

I am expecting my path through next gen to be: PS5, then a new TV, then a Series X.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 15:11:15 27-03-2020
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 15:14:46 33,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't have the money to throw around, per se, I save and buy things that I enjoy - last year was the iPad, 3 years ago was the TV. This year is going to be a couple of things.
    I enjoy console gaming and the PS first party, buying a PC won't help me there.

And yes, ranges of price points are good, but that's where I specified decent spec. Tech costs. I value the hobby enough to spec higher and pay more.
    If you want a 65" OLED you're paying 65" OLED prices. If you're happy with a 42" off-brand LCD, that's all good too.
    If new consoles increase in price due to better tech, that's the cost.
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 15:17:18 33,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I reckon we'll see the same general position next gen as this one. Sony will still be on top.
    It could all change but I think people are generally more settled this gen than ever before, the increase in digital libraries and back compat. will see people largely stay put.
  • JamboWayOh 27 Mar 2020 16:17:19 20,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Consoles kind of have to be at a competitive price if their business model is based on you the consumer buying peripherals and a constant supply of games. I don't think it would be as attractive if they started asking for a grand. Before anyone mentions about the cost of iPhones, I imagine most people trade in older models or get a contract and they're not shelling a 60 quid a go for games.
  • IronGiant 27 Mar 2020 16:58:33 6,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I reckon we'll see the same general position next gen as this one. Sony will still be on top.
    It could all change but I think people are generally more settled this gen than ever before, the increase in digital libraries and back compat. will see people largely stay put.
    Yeah I'm sure that will be how it plays out, for the first couple of years anyway. I know so many people now on PS4 and they're not bothered by the techie side of consoles they just all play online Fifa, CoD etc. The XBX is already significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro and that's not closed the sales gap at all.

I'll start with PS5 and get the X at a later date, as long as I still have a job by Christmas!
  • Malek86 27 Mar 2020 17:44:24 10,162 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Barring some strange things (what if Lockhart really comes out and is half the price of a PS5?), the situation should probably stay the same as now.

But the Switch is a major player and will continue to grow, whereas the Wii U was a massive disappointment, which probably helped the PS4 and X1. Steam has also found a big audience even among console players in the last few years.

Overall, I'm not sure that the PS5 and Xbox Series will sell as much as the PS4 and X1.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:44:54 27-03-2020
  • richarddavies 27 Mar 2020 17:47:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm more interested in whether either of the new consoles will be delayed at this point with everything going on. I'd be extraordinarily surprised if it hasn't messed up production.
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 18:06:41 33,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sony added it estimated there would be "no material impact" on its business for the current financial year - which it would be unlikely to suggest if the launch of the PlayStation 5 itself were to be delayed.
  • Malek86 27 Mar 2020 18:10:33 10,162 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sony and MS seem very sure of themselves. I don't know what makes them so. We already know that Switch production was impacted.
  • Fake_Blood 27 Mar 2020 18:15:38 10,446 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Because production only starts about 2 months before launch, so they figure things will be okay by then.
  • JoelStinty 27 Mar 2020 18:24:25 8,927 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Sony learnt a lot after the PS3 launch. I really canít see them going above £399. Iím kind of surprised to see Microsoft to go all out on spec and I think we just see a continuation of what we have had this generation simply because of price.

Sony have always had strong libraries but it felt like they firmly established themselves this gen and like Nintendo you know you are going to get quality games coming through the pipeline. If they do hit 350-400 and with their catalogue I canít really see Microsoft making much of an impact.

I do think they might have a better chance continuing with their games everywhere approach. They do seem better positioned than Sony with that option and if the new Xbox doesnít do well I think we see them double down there instead.
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 19:56:38 33,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thatís their goal anyway.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2020 21:48:19 28,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Looks very pretty IMO although I do like coloured buttons.
  • Carlo 7 Apr 2020 21:52:26 21,323 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can a mod please merge my 'leaked design' ps5 thread into this one?
  • neilka 7 Apr 2020 22:03:46 23,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Then people won't be able to see it once they've ignored ecosse.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2020 09:03:35 28,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Can a mod please merge my 'leaked design' ps5 thread into this one?
    Sadly not sure if we have any active mods anymore.

/tumbleweeds....
  • Tricky 8 Apr 2020 10:57:28 4,992 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Because production only starts about 2 months before launch, so they figure things will be okay by then.
    Not likely. Shipping time by sea from China to Europe is usually 4-5 weeks, then you have to add a couple of weeks on to that to cover shipping to retailers from your import point. Then you have to factor in producing enough consoles to actually hit your load-in quantities to even try and satisfy demand - and factories don't just hit their maximum production throughput from day one; there's ramp up involved. Based on my experience with manufacturing I'd say MS and Sony will be starting maspro on the consoles in June.

But factories are nearly getting back to full capacity now so assuming we don't get further resurgence in COVID they should be fine.

The bigger issue is software/firmware development for the consoles as most teams that work on that are currently still working from home, which makes engineering much slower and more difficult.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.