Following PlayStation 5 Page 404

• DakeyrasUK 13 Jan 2021 13:22:34 4,815 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon fair point, I have a few games to still be playing through from ps4 and the ps plus games adds another 2 or 3.

But I think I might go back to my switch soon enough, with mario galaxy to finish, calamity ganon waiting,
    then next month both bravely default 2 and super mario 3d world release...
  • SolidSCB 13 Jan 2021 13:57:24 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, back compat is going to get me through the shortage of new games. I've still got GoT, Days Gone and Fallen Order to play through. Then I bought Horizon complete edition in the sale for £7, never played that either. Plus a few others on the PS+ collection.

I was concerned a few of those were gonna fall through the cracks with the PS5, so it's weirdly reassuring I'll be able to get through all of those with all the bells and whistles attached.
  • AceGrace 13 Jan 2021 14:19:17 3,373 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was only when I though about the improvements such as loading speed and raytracing that I noticed them.

Which sounds odd because when I set it up and played games I didn't consciously go Wow!

Edited by AceGrace at 14:19:46 13-01-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Jan 2021 14:22:46 16,554 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I saw a few people say that PS4 to PS5 and X1 to XSX are not that impressive when playing PS5 & XSX. However if you try and go back to PS4 and X1, then you notice the difference.
  • uiruki 13 Jan 2021 14:24:04 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PS4 on PS5, at least, is a much better experience in general even if the game itself isn't modified.
  • mrpon 13 Jan 2021 14:27:48 36,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm looking up Last Guardian physical prices now, £12 used on eBay. No doubt sods law will mean the digital will get the patch as soon as the disc arrives!
  • SolidSCB 13 Jan 2021 14:29:25 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've played a few PS4 games that don't have a 60fps boost over the last few weeks and it's pretty jarring.

Then I went really old school and plugged the PS3 in so I could play through MGS4 for the first time in a few years and it feels almost unplayable now. Which is a bit of a kick in the teeth as it's one of my favourite games ever and still somehow looks half decent when you aren't having any input and bringing the FPS into the 20's (so 97% of the game? lol)

Edited by SolidSCB at 14:29:59 13-01-2021
  • uiruki 13 Jan 2021 14:32:41 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The XMB was a real pain to deal with last time I booted up my PS3, though I do have a lot of games installed on mine.

And yeah, there's a lot going on under the hood with MGS4, I really like the simulation aspect that they have going on.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Jan 2021 14:36:23 10,092 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    60/30fps doesn't bother me at all really. Sure 60 is nice but I have absolutely no issues with playing at 30. In fact I would go so far as to say I would rather most games shove as much pretty nonsense in as possible even if it means a drop from 60 to 30. I guess I'm the type of scumbag that's the reason most games are 30, sorry guys.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 14:39:17 13-01-2021
  • SolidSCB 13 Jan 2021 14:41:11 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I always thought I'd never be that snob that looked down my nose at 30. I can play it in the same way I can wipe my arse with own brand toilet roll; it doesn't mean I'm not going to be thinking about double quilted the entire time I'm sanding away my balloon knot.
  • PierrePressure 13 Jan 2021 17:14:19 1,260 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've had the PS5 lock up 3 times but all with Miles Morales so I assume something wrong there, been playing Demon's Souls and Days Gone and no problems. You can chalk me up as another 60fps, it's such a massive improvement and the games still look slick.
  • GumboVariations 13 Jan 2021 17:19:26 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I'm actually enjoying Shadow of the Tomb Raider this time around precisely because it's not a juddery mess.
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jan 2021 17:32:36 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TFM_Excalibur wrote:
    Anyone else with one not massively impressed with it?
    The controller is nice but the System OS still feels like itís in beta, Iíve only switched it on 4/5 times since launch

Well, I've used mine nearly every day since getting mine at launch, but I'm not a fan of the OS. It's much faster than the PS4's UI, but I still preferred the look and feel of that one to this new one. Not just the store. The whole design language. The larger squares per icon, the persistent top menu, the way the Library folder laid everything out in alphabetical order.

Also, as much as I've been playing it, there's only about 5 games for it, so for the moment it's essentially a PS4 Pro PRO. Good thing PSN has had a consistent holiday sale since launch, as it's kept me spending on new old games, when it might have been collecting dust otherwise.
  • TFM_Excalibur 13 Jan 2021 18:23:22 1,710 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @spookyxelectric

My XSX I donít think has been switched off, I had a one x, and it genuinely feels like software QOL has been a big focus, (quick resume is fantastic)but the only games Iím really looking forward to are GOW2, Horizon though Iíve yet to play the first, potentially GT7 and maybe death loop at an absolute push.

Itís a paperweight at the moment but hopefully when the release calendar starts to properly land Iíll get more excited with it
  • Decks 13 Jan 2021 18:40:09 28,417 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I've been looking at an XSX. What games you been playing/looking forward to?
  • Derblington 13 Jan 2021 18:53:55 34,417 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I prefer the OS on the 5 to the 4 generally, but there are a few features that Iíd like to be introduced, like persistent options. You can set your library to be alphabetical but it doesnít remember it. Stuff like that.
    And Iíd like the game tile bar to show me everything I have installed and allow me to scroll through, rather than just the most recently used 8 tiles (or however many there are).

Otherwise though Iím used to the new layouts and functions and itís really quick.
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jan 2021 19:00:06 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Another thing that annoys me is that sometimes if you delete a game off your console, a sort of ghost icon remains all the way on the left on the the main menu, past the Store and News icons. Sometimes restoring licenses makes it disappear, sometimes it doesn't. ATM I have two ghost icons from moving and deleting a few games to make room for Hitman 3 and Persona 5 Royal.
  • Psiloc 13 Jan 2021 19:32:48 5,901 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't get used to the default behaviour of the PS button.

I suspect the icons are smaller for the simple reason that it has to handle the old 1080p based icons in 4K
  • Gregolution 13 Jan 2021 19:54:07 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Erm... I can't start demons souls any more. It just sits on the loading screen forever. Great
  • Daeltaja 13 Jan 2021 19:56:45 1,977 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PS5 dash is a million times better than PS4. The speed alone is worth the price of entry, as is the embedded shop. Not sure what people were expecting?
  • neilka 13 Jan 2021 19:57:32 23,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Erm... I can't start demons souls any more. It just sits on the loading screen forever. Great
    I've had that too, turning it fully off and on again should fix it.
  • Gregolution 13 Jan 2021 19:57:37 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Clicking on play instead of the icon seemed to get it loading. Weird
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jan 2021 20:03:30 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    PS5 dash is a million times better than PS4. The speed alone is worth the price of entry, as is the embedded shop. Not sure what people were expecting?
    The thing is, I'm not sure the speed is actually due to some clever programming or if it's just there innately due to the faster hardware. The SSD, Ryzen CPU and extra RAM surely do the heavy lifting for the OS.

it's fast, sure, but it's missing functionality, and the functionality that is there is unintuitive.

At least most of the game crashes have stopped for me. I think Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs Legion were the last two games to give me trouble, and at least in CP's case, I know it was just an incomplete game.
  • Psiloc 13 Jan 2021 20:22:50 5,901 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After two months I think I officially don't like the "cards" that appear with the popup menu. I'm still yet to use them and they just clutter and obscure the screen with unrelated rubbish at the moment.

I think even if they get better with time, I'd still turn them off if I could simply due to how little I'm gonna use them
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jan 2021 20:58:05 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I've not used them once. I haven't even really looked at them, to be honest. I just scroll right past them as I make my way towards the rest mode button.
  • SolidSCB 13 Jan 2021 21:03:50 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use them to get to career mode on FIFA quickly, but other than that I haven't bothered after I had a few crashes from them early on.

Can definitely see them being useful with a little more refinement. Often it's barely any quicker than just loading the game direct on a lot of them at the moment.
  • pacrifice 13 Jan 2021 21:09:58 5,254 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So is there no usb MP3 playback during gaming?
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jan 2021 21:15:51 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had that same question a few days ago.

There is, you just need to soft-press the PS button, go to the music note icon and it should show your USB drive there.

There's no specific app like there was on PS4.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2021 08:34:09 2,607 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Think the UI is fine. Literally use it for two things. Hit start on a game and navigate to the PS Store.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Jan 2021 08:40:31 40,251 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    It seems very similar to by me (which is fine), but with lots of essential functions missing. Folders, hiding entries in the fans database (every bloody demo I downloaded 8 years ago is there), etc.

The shop is much faster, though, Iíll give you that.

Edited by UncleLou at 08:41:16 14-01-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.