PlayStation 5 Page 456

• dominalien 22 Feb 2021 10:38:44 10,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had to put volume way way up to hear anything.
  • MasterOfSpin 22 Feb 2021 10:40:04 41 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    What is this new trend of people putting their ears up against the PS5, listening really hard and getting upset when they hear electronic equipment making electronic noises? I mean, if you have to literally put your phone up against the vents and turn off all other sound sources to hear a slight noise, what's the problem? Do you do the same for other devices> Do you listen to your microwave? Fan oven?
  • Decks 22 Feb 2021 10:40:42 29,411 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I showed it to my wife and she said it definitely wouldn't bother her. She doesn't hate me though.
  • DakeyrasUK 22 Feb 2021 10:52:43 5,045 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got 50 quid psn credit for 40.70 from this deal:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playstation-network-card-50-gbp-uk-ps4070-using-code-at-eneba-obsidian-codes-3673631?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_content=3673631&utm_campaign=keyword_alert&utm_term=playstation&itm_content=3673631

With the 20 for 15 from currys a few weeks ago I now have 70 saved up for 55.

Makes buying a brand new ps5 game more palatable. Better to save it and use in double discount sales though!
  • Psiloc 22 Feb 2021 11:04:15 6,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just hear the faint sound of a fan tbh
  • Rogueywon 22 Feb 2021 11:07:30 11,357 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maybe my expectations are just skewed by PC gaming, but I hear nothing there that's unacceptable in terms of noise.

Mind you, I did play 70+ hours of Cyberpunk with a jet engine blasting away next to me.
  • cymro 22 Feb 2021 11:16:36 121 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @MasterOfSpin Its a related condition to "OMFG it dropped a frame the game's ruined" syndrome.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Feb 2021 11:17:21 40,448 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    MasterOfSpin wrote:
    What is this new trend of people putting their ears up against the PS5, listening really hard and getting upset when they hear electronic equipment making electronic noises? I mean, if you have to literally put your phone up against the vents and turn off all other sound sources to hear a slight noise, what's the problem? Do you do the same for other devices> Do you listen to your microwave? Fan oven?
    Bit of a strawman. I can clearly hear my PS5 from the couch. It doesn't bother me, but it certainly isn't "silent".

You know what's "silent"? My Tv. My Soundbar (well, unless it's supposed to make sounds). At a stretch, the Switch. What is this new trend of people calling electronic equipment that hums, whirrs and makes fan noises "silent"? A silent PC has water-cooling and noise dampening materials inside. The PS5 has neither.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:17:57 22-02-2021
  • uiruki 22 Feb 2021 11:19:05 5,767 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My first model Switch definitely isn't silent, that little fan spins at quite a speed when it's docked. The Lite is functionally inaudible though.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Feb 2021 11:23:49 16,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mine does not make a sound loud enough for me to hear. (I am a bit deaf though and I could rarely hear my PS4 either).

My mates PS4 Pro however was ludicrously loud. And I can hear my Switch quite regularly on a few games but rarely on others.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 11:24:34 22-02-2021
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Feb 2021 11:29:04 2,512 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    We can add fan noise to the tedious discussions list with alien 3.
  • MasterOfSpin 22 Feb 2021 11:30:47 41 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    MasterOfSpin wrote:
    Bit of a strawman. I can clearly hear my PS5 from the couch. It doesn't bother me, but it certainly isn't "silent".

You know what's "silent"? My Tv. My Soundbar (well, unless it's supposed to make sounds). At a stretch, the Switch. What is this new trend of people calling electronic equipment that hums, whirrs and makes fan noises "silent"? A silent PC has water-cooling and noise dampening materials inside. The PS5 has neither.
    Did Sony ever claim it was silent?
  • Rogueywon 22 Feb 2021 11:31:56 11,357 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey Doesn't somebody get squished in a big fan in Alien 3?
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Feb 2021 11:32:36 2,512 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Maybe in the directors cut which people think makes it a good film.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 22 Feb 2021 11:33:55 10,393 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah when things get going on Switch it is surprisingly loud. My PS5 is more or less silent; I can't hear it anyway unless it's spinning a disc, which really is quite loud but that's only ever now and then so who cares. Series X is quietest of all, spinning disc included.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Feb 2021 11:34:57 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MasterOfSpin wrote:
    The noise is audible and annoying everywhere in a 25m2 room, the Xbox one is inaudible from 3-4m away. Measuring from up close is to try and ensure that a shitty phone recording can capture the noise.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Feb 2021 11:37:35 22,915 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If I canít hear it over normal TV volume then as far as Iím concerned itís Ďsilentí.
  • Dougs 22 Feb 2021 11:40:50 98,694 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pierre2k wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'll send this to Sony today, hopefully you can hear clearly the contrast as the fans stop spinning.
    To be fair, mine has definitely never sounded like that. That said, it does sound more like annoying fan noise than coil whine to me. Not quite right either way.
    Yeah, I agree. Mine doesn't sound like that in rest mode, even if I stuck a phone next to it to record it.

I assume that was rest mode anyway

Edited by Dougs at 11:42:29 22-02-2021
  • ElNuevo9 22 Feb 2021 11:52:11 14,164 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    If I canít hear it over normal TV volume then as far as Iím concerned itís Ďsilentí.
    This.
  • Stan546 22 Feb 2021 11:54:55 1,292 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Yup this is also my standard.
  • neilka 22 Feb 2021 11:58:36 23,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If I was trapped in a room with ecosse then I'd be whining too.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Feb 2021 12:05:06 40,448 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    MasterOfSpin wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    MasterOfSpin wrote:

Not that I am aware of. Unless you are Sony, of course.
  • Rodimus-Prime 22 Feb 2021 12:21:06 426 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with Kal and the others... so just out of curiosity booted up Spider-Man Miles Morales and muted my tv, and you can definitely hear it gently whirring.

But i think i've now tuned myself into that frequency, and can now hear it no matter how loud i turn the tv, where i go in my house, or whether the console is switched on or not.

So thanks.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Feb 2021 12:21:13 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Pierre2k wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'll send this to Sony today, hopefully you can hear clearly the contrast as the fans stop spinning.
    To be fair, mine has definitely never sounded like that. That said, it does sound more like annoying fan noise than coil whine to me. Not quite right either way.
    Yeah, I agree. Mine doesn't sound like that in rest mode, even if I stuck a phone next to it to record it.

I assume that was rest mode anyway
    Yep, was rest mode, as I have usb power in rest mode off, you hear the fans stopping some seconds after being in rest mode. With USB power you have that noise the whole time.
  • Deleted user 22 February 2021 12:21:29
    Mine sounds like that, but it's only obvious if I sit in silence.

I get it, the PS4 was obnoxious, but I feel actively cooled electronics are never going to be totally silent. Even my 360 S, which is the quietest actively cooled console I've ever owned wasn't silent. But like the PS5, I had to mute everything and listen for it.

Maybe it's the frequency of the thing that melts your head?
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Feb 2021 12:21:46 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    MasterOfSpin wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    MasterOfSpin wrote:

Not that I am aware of. Unless you are Sony, of course.
    Lots of reviewers did.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Feb 2021 12:22:59 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GumboVariations wrote:

I get it, the PS4 was obnoxious, but I feel actively cooled electronics are never going to be totally silent. Even my 360 S, which is the quietest actively cooled console I've ever owned wasn't silent. But like the PS5, I had to mute everything and listen for it.

Yep, it's not the volume, it's the frequency, a fan with a quiet "whoosh" sound is fine, that's not distracting, this higher pitch is :(
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Feb 2021 12:27:17 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which coward is "Ecosseisa Nonce"?
  • JamboWayOh 22 Feb 2021 12:29:22 23,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eh?
  • Deleted user 22 February 2021 12:29:31
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    GumboVariations wrote:

Yep, it's not the volume, it's the frequency, a fan with a quiet "whoosh" sound is fine, that's not distracting, this higher pitch is :(
    Yeah okay I get that. The PS4 had two fan suppliers, one was loud, the other had a high pitched whistling that just cut through everything else and made me physically uncomfortable.

While the 'good' fan was still loud, it didn't make me want to cut my ears off.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.