PlayStation 5 Page 460

  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2021 12:35:11 40,346 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    GoT was great, yeah. And in their first attempt, they managed to make a combat system that is so far beyond anything Ubisoft managed in 20 AC games, itís astonishing. Valhalla felt like going a generation or two back in comparison.
  • wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 12:37:21 16,533 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely. I'm playing Odyssey right now and, although I love it, the combat is utterly pitiful next to GoT.
  • Daeltaja 23 Feb 2021 12:41:00 1,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AC@ Valhalla combat feels a bit better than Odyssey, but it's still woeful for the caliber of game that it is. They need to gut it and write it from the ground up again.
  • JamboWayOh 23 Feb 2021 12:58:41 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    GoT was great, yeah. And in their first attempt, they managed to make a combat system that is so far beyond anything Ubisoft managed in 20 AC games, itís astonishing. Valhalla felt like going a generation or two back in comparison.
    It is baffling that a game about combat and assassination isn't able to get those things right. Especially assassination which has seemed to get worse and worse over time to the point of them removing the tool that definded the series but then bringing it back but in an extremely video gamey way.
  • Decks 23 Feb 2021 13:10:20 28,847 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The general gameplay and animation ruin the games for me. Ridiculous that they haven't improved on it yet. I'm amazed just how well Immortals plays. Easily their best game for years.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2021 13:13:35 26,728 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't disagree with the basic points, but it's worth remembering that AssCreed's combat has to work in a lot more scenarios than Tsushima's did. The GoT world isn't as vast, isn't as dense, and as a rule isn't as complicated. No busy cities, not everything is climbable, etc. etc.

    I don't disagree that the combat shits all over AssCreed - just to point out that they didn't have any baggage to bring with them. :)

    If the next Ass Creed doesn't massively retool... well, everything, then I hope they just ditch it and move on. The combat in Fenyx at least suggests they haven't forgotten how to make something halfway enjoyable.
  • GumboVariations 23 Feb 2021 13:22:28 187 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Timmywimmywoo wrote:
    I just happened to be having my morning poo at 9:46 and checked the website. Managed to grab a disc edition with Spiderman and an extra controller. I've not had a Playstation since my parents bought me and my brother one back in 1995, so I'm quite excited!

    ETA: It looks like it comes with a week of paternity leave left too. Can I play Vigilante 8 on this thing?
    I hope you washed your hands before you grabbed it.
  • Derblington 23 Feb 2021 13:26:37 34,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I don't disagree with the basic points, but it's worth remembering that AssCreed's combat has to work in a lot more scenarios than Tsushima's did. The GoT world isn't as vast, isn't as dense, and as a rule isn't as complicated. No busy cities, not everything is climbable, etc. etc.

    I don't disagree that the combat shits all over AssCreed - just to point out that they didn't have any baggage to bring with them. :)

    If the next Ass Creed doesn't massively retool... well, everything, then I hope they just ditch it and move on. The combat in Fenyx at least suggests they haven't forgotten how to make something halfway enjoyable.
    They did a retool with Origins though.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2021 13:29:27 26,728 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye, and I thought it got better in that than previous entries that were more like rhythm action games, so parry-dependent were they.

    The devs were still on the two year overlapping schedules then, so I imagine most of the work went into the world and tooling and all that rather than be combat focussed.

    I'd love it if the next one just went all-in on best in class combat, even if everything else stayed the same. That and the sometimes janky animations are all that's stopping it from being the top dog really.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 23 Feb 2021 13:33:08 10,233 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    I don't disagree with the basic points, but it's worth remembering that AssCreed's combat has to work in a lot more scenarios than Tsushima's did. The GoT world isn't as vast, isn't as dense, and as a rule isn't as complicated. No busy cities, not everything is climbable, etc. etc.

    I don't disagree that the combat shits all over AssCreed - just to point out that they didn't have any baggage to bring with them. :)

    If the next Ass Creed doesn't massively retool... well, everything, then I hope they just ditch it and move on. The combat in Fenyx at least suggests they haven't forgotten how to make something halfway enjoyable.
    They did a retool with Origins though.
    Yeah they did, and it wasn't that long ago either really. The problem is they took the opportunity to go from 20-hour overly familiar romps to 50-80 hour Ubisoft iconfest RPG-lites with better combat than they had before. There needs to be some kind of middle ground. Sadly with Valhalla selling gangbusters - and I am absolutely part of the problem here - there's no reason for them to change.

    One thing AC and GoT is guilty of that has to change is having attack and assassinate set as the same button, which is infuriating. If you're in a bush sneaking up behind someone and they take a step away from the golden 'can be assassinated' zone and you press Assassinate, you end up doing a regular attack instead and blowing your cover. It used to be different buttons in Creed, I don't know why the fuck they thought it was a good idea to change it.

    Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 13:36:40 23-02-2021
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2021 14:09:28 21,931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Next Gen PSVR just announced.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 23 Feb 2021 14:12:34 10,233 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @beastmaster More info plz
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2021 14:13:49 21,931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh


    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/?fbclid=IwAR3kS3POdt_8SH_muJw6VdGfYoYcavwE4x4Ejju4zy_HS3eaHMjHyjjD9vQ#sf243317607%23sf243317631

    Edit: 2022 launch by the looks of it.

    Edited by beastmaster at 14:14:32 23-02-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2021 14:15:41 40,346 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Wow. Not really expected this at this point.
  • wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 14:21:34 16,533 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    GoT was great, yeah. And in their first attempt, they managed to make a combat system that is so far beyond anything Ubisoft managed in 20 AC games, itís astonishing. Valhalla felt like going a generation or two back in comparison.
    It is baffling that a game about combat and assassination isn't able to get those things right. Especially assassination which has seemed to get worse and worse over time to the point of them removing the tool that definded the series but then bringing it back but in an extremely video gamey way.
    Heh, yeah. As I said, I am loving Odyssey but as an actual AC game, it's got a lot of the fundamentals very very wrong. To the extent that I can't even assassinate people 95% of the time. I just do a little bit of damage, alert every one and then do some incredibly ropey combat.

    I went back to Black Flag recently and it's so much better in terms of the combat and assassination shit you do have to wonder what the fuck Ubi were thinking.
  • minky-kong 23 Feb 2021 14:22:15 14,704 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The multiplayer is well worth a look too if you're enjoying the combat.
    Awesome. Planning on having a go on the multiplayer with a mate once I'm done with the main game.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2021 14:25:59 40,346 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I really loved Odyssey, and in my hazy memory, the combat was better/more polished than in Valhalla, no? Not nearly as much gliding and sliding across the floor towards enemies, less unintentional over the top physics where enemies fly past you like they were hit by Obelix, etc. Might be wrong though, maybe Tsushima has just changed my expectations.

    Oh, and THE KICK. My most used ability in Odyssey.
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2021 14:28:32 21,931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Wow. Not really expected this at this point.
    They may show the design off at whatever form E3 takes this year. Maybe.
  • wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 14:30:01 16,533 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @UncleLou Haven't played Valhalla so can't compare. That's worrying if it's even worse than Odyssey though. It's not bad in an unplayable sense, and I get used to it after playing for a bit, but it just doesn't stack up to it's peers or to earlier games. It's bizarre.

    The kick is immense however. no arguments there. Had a fight atop a quarry the other day and must have kicked about 8-10 twats over the side. It'll never get old.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 14:32:47 14,913 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow, super glad I held off on PSVR now. I'll be all over the new one.
  • ElNuevo9 23 Feb 2021 14:34:31 14,160 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In probably the least surprising news youíll hear this week, Gran Turismo 7 has been delayed until 2022.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 14:37:30 14,913 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    2032 then. Nice, much sooner than expected.
  • TheSaint 23 Feb 2021 14:41:10 20,388 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/23/22296998/sony-ps5-next-gen-vr-headset-virtual-reality-features

    Sounds good. The best feature is VR without the need for a Facebook account.
  • Derblington 23 Feb 2021 14:42:38 34,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Why? There's at least another year of some great content you can't play.

    I bought a new VR set just before Xmas. No regrets with that at all.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 14:43:58 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, I've already had lots of fun with VR. If it does me another 12-18 months, I'll be happy with the investment.
  • Stan546 23 Feb 2021 14:44:09 1,286 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I'm hyped for PSVR2 - I'm hopeful that with the power available we see much better games then the first one, which really suffered on the blurry locations.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 14:47:09 14,913 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd like a bit of future proofing. I'm not sure I'd use one as regularly as I like to think so having one that will stand the test of time a little better will probably provide more value for me in the long run.
  • Wayne 23 Feb 2021 15:12:12 2,526 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PSVR with better resolution, wider field of view, better controller and less cables for setting it up? Count me in! Day 1 purchase.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 15:13:44 22,783 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Slightly disappointing itís not completely wireless, but single cable isnít so bad.
  • Wayne 23 Feb 2021 15:15:03 2,526 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal I think one needs to temper one's expectations. We aren't quite there yet.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.