PlayStation 5 Page 504

• Trowel 7 Apr 2021 09:37:19 24,286 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'll see your poorly implemented stealth sections and raise you stealth sections.
  • mikew1985 7 Apr 2021 10:55:49 15,446 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I quite like stealth in general so maybe that's another part of it.

Perhaps I've just not come across the section or section(s) Solid is referring to but I really don't see that there is an issue with the platforming or movement in my experience so far.
  • SolidSCB 7 Apr 2021 11:02:53 15,307 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The stuff where you need to time stuff to avoid being caught/blown up is especially bad. Moving from floor to floor in particular is really archaic.

I wouldn't claim to be the world's greatest gamer but I'm also not doing a FuzzyDuck Streets of Rage 4 tribute act when I say well over 50% of my deaths so far haven't actually been my own fault and rather I've been let down by the game's shoddy systems.
  • muddyyfunster 7 Apr 2021 11:07:38 1,058 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I played, the first Oddworld on PS1 at the time and have no idea why there's nostalgia for it. Essentially the experience went:
    Ooh FMV!
    Heh, voice acting!
    Ha, fart gags!
    Hmm, awkward controls
    Dead
    Were do I go?
    Dead/Stuck/Dead
    Bored.
  • Psiloc 7 Apr 2021 11:29:14 6,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I'm a big fan of the first game and sadly have to agree, it's janky as hell. I have no idea how the animation can be so good during cut scenes and so amateurish during gameplay. And why the fuck am I forced to play a 'precision' 2.5D platformer with the analog sticks?

I've got to say though I knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as the gameplay trailers dropped. New and Tasty was a shell of the original and this was clearly going to be a step further in that direction.

Reminds me of Sonic 4 actually. The team behind it clearly have no idea what people liked about the first games. "It's Abe, he's back and he can do more stuff, like crafting! What more do you want?"

Incidentally I'm sure I remember New and Tasty being well received at the time but I thought it was a bag of shit. I swear some people just think 3D = better and the original must be unplayable by today's standards because it's *spit* 2D. This would be an infinitely better game if they had just copied the original gameplay.
  • mikew1985 7 Apr 2021 11:54:18 15,446 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    The stuff where you need to time stuff to avoid being caught/blown up is especially bad. Moving from floor to floor in particular is really archaic.

I wouldn't claim to be the world's greatest gamer but I'm also not doing a FuzzyDuck Streets of Rage 4 tribute act when I say well over 50% of my deaths so far haven't actually been my own fault and rather I've been let down by the game's shoddy systems.
    Ah to be fair the timing window on the mine disarm is ridiculously narrow. The pattern is easy to spot and follow but yes, I think I was blown up 10+ times on the first set I came across. The rest that I have encountered so far bar one set have been avoidable but I'm sure there will be more that I absolutely will have to disarm to progress.

I thought I was being a bit cack handed there but the second time only took me 2 or 3 tries to disarm both.
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Apr 2021 12:15:54 2,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Does the game at least have some good shinies?
  • mothercruncher 7 Apr 2021 12:16:46 19,126 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They’ve got fart gags IM IN
  • SolidSCB 7 Apr 2021 12:43:09 15,307 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The cutscenes are really, really good looking but the game itself has some baffling framerate drops during explosions/environmental damage that I just don't see the reason for considering the graphical fidelity. It isn't terrible looking but it's one of those that's clearly a PS4 game that's been dragged to the PS5 party.
  • Decks 7 Apr 2021 12:44:00 29,411 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've never actually played an Oddworld game. Mainly because they look like absolute bollocks.
  • Decks 7 Apr 2021 12:44:49 29,411 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually Stranger's Wrath was great if that counts.
  • SolidSCB 7 Apr 2021 12:51:36 15,307 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stranger's Wrath was definitely the best one. I've never fully got the big deal myself. The character design and world are quite interesting but I'd be lying if I said any of the actual games they've built around them have lit up my world.
  • Psiloc 7 Apr 2021 12:52:06 6,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Does the game at least have some good shinies?
    The cutscenes look fantastic. Gameplay would look good in screenshots (not that that's remotely relevant these days) but in motion it's really bad
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Apr 2021 12:56:18 10,393 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really liked Oddyssee and Exoddus at the time. I've not played them since so maybe they have aged badly. I've also never played Munch or Stranger's Wrath, but they've always kind of been on the radar, I had Munch on the OG Xbox (still do I think) but then it broke and I just never got round to it. Maybe I'll pick up that new switch collection.
  • Psiloc 7 Apr 2021 13:03:30 6,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Stranger's Wrath was definitely the best one. I've never fully got the big deal myself. The character design and world are quite interesting but I'd be lying if I said any of the actual games they've built around them have lit up my world.
    At the time, the first game was a proper complete package and everything about the presentation, top-to-bottom, said "AAA". Plus the world and story were still fascinating as nothing had been over done yet. It's also aged really well if you ask me, much better than Stranger's Wrath. Not for everybody though I'm sure
  • SolidSCB 7 Apr 2021 13:03:40 15,307 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll always have a soft spot for Oddysee as do a few people I know simply because it's one of the early highlights of the PS1. The interactivity was a pretty huge step up at the time. I distinctly remember most time with the game figuring out unique ways to lead Mudokans to their death. I don't think I actually even finished it.

and yes, being able to fart on command was a huge deal for young me.

Edited by SolidSCB at 13:04:31 07-04-2021

Edited by SolidSCB at 13:04:39 07-04-2021
  • SolidSCB 7 Apr 2021 13:06:37 15,307 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or pretty much what Psiloc said. It was a pretty big step up at the time. But it's been nearly 25 years now, having practically the same gameplay with all its quirks in a modern game is stubborn to a fault.
  • Psiloc 7 Apr 2021 13:10:17 6,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's actually depressing that they've fucked it up so bad. Hearing myself discuss the first one as "AAA" and "aged well" just reminds me that this is a bag of fresh dog shit.
  • spookyxelectric 8 Apr 2021 04:35:30 376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    I played, the first Oddworld on PS1 at the time and have no idea why there's nostalgia for it. Essentially the experience went:
    Ooh FMV!
    Heh, voice acting!
    Ha, fart gags!
    Hmm, awkward controls
    Dead
    Were do I go?
    Dead/Stuck/Dead
    Bored.

It's OG Prince of Persia with alien farts.
  • mikew1985 8 Apr 2021 07:47:36 15,446 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    Ooh FMV!
    Heh, voice acting!
    Ha, fart gags!
    Hmm, awkward controls
    Dead
    Were do I go?
    Dead/Stuck/Dead
    Bored.

It's OG Prince of Persia with alien farts.
    Yea I have limited nostalgia for the first one or the second one. This is certainly not in the territory of ruining the legacy from what I've played though there are some odd bugs. It's largely similar fare so far.
  • Vice.Destroyer 8 Apr 2021 12:42:02 7,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know this question gets asked a lot, but where is the best place to buy a yearly PSN subscription. I assume that nobody here parts the £49.99 from the PS store and there is somewhere a tad cheaper?
  • dominalien 8 Apr 2021 12:45:39 10,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sony itself does sales on that, just recently it was 20% off.

CDKeys sell them as well at a discount, but the last time I checked they were all sold out for my region.
  • mrpon 8 Apr 2021 12:48:41 37,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    £40 on shopto.net VD or someone was pimping a £100 for £75 deal on here somewhere. Get your calculator out.
  • DakeyrasUK 8 Apr 2021 13:28:53 5,045 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah cheapest is to buy psn credit for upwards of 20% off from eneba or other seller, then buy the year of ps+ when Sony have a sale on. They have 25% off (£37.50) usually around e3 and black Friday, so if you have 20% discounted credit you can get a year for about 30 quid.

Other than that you can reasonably regularly get a year for approx 38 via cdkeys etc.

Set up a psn and PlayStation alert from hotukdeals and then be ready to delete a lot of emails...

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 13:31:24 08-04-2021
  • Vice.Destroyer 8 Apr 2021 15:25:26 7,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers, gents.
  • KD 8 Apr 2021 16:01:13 3,325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I started my plus on a US account so had 12 months for £20 not long ago.

Loads will be expired here but I always search here first.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=playstation%2Bnetwork
  • Stan546 8 Apr 2021 16:43:40 1,292 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spring sale is here, anyone spot any good deals?
  • Wayne 8 Apr 2021 17:02:54 3,156 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I recently got a month of PS+ and nabbed the March games, then the April games and then the whole PS+ Collection on PS5 and I honestly feel like I've robbed Sony.
  • Rum_Monkey 8 Apr 2021 17:10:34 2,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Don't you need to be subscribed to actually play the games though?
  • SolidSCB 8 Apr 2021 17:16:02 15,307 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You sure do.

Only 1k+ hours of gaming to get through in a month. Best wishes, Wayne.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.