PlayStation 5 Page 509

• Ultrasoundwave 14 Apr 2021 22:38:01 6,364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I almost donít want to say this in fear of jinxing it, but the issues I was having with Rest Mode appear to be gone too - Iíve spent most of the afternoon installing games onto my external HDD (whilst in Rest Mode) and there havenít been any ĎDNS Disconnectsí AS OF YET.....

I didnít see anything in the patch notes about them fixing the issues with Rest Mode that I, and many others, have been having.....which tells me that either a) Itís a fluke or b) they knew about the rest mode issues and didnít want to admit it, so they sneaked in a fix without mentioning it in the notes

Based on their recent behaviour, itís absolutely option b.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 22:38:42 14-04-2021
  • dfunked09 14 Apr 2021 22:42:34 1,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Given how much didn't seem to make it into the "storage situation is better and we did something with the game stream shit that nobody uses" patch notes, I wouldn't be surprised.

Rest mode has been fine for me for ages though (with an external plugged into the rear USB port too!)
  • StaffyDog 15 Apr 2021 09:54:59 1,740 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently playstation support isn't open till 2pm as it must be USA. I thought there would be a UK or at least Europe contact centre. My ps5 has definitely broken after the update as it won't even turn off from the blue lights unless switch off the mains. Won't go into safe mode so I'm fooked.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Apr 2021 09:57:35 30,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StaffyDog wrote:
    Apparently playstation support isn't open till 2pm as it must be USA. I thought there would be a UK or at least Europe contact centre. My ps5 has definitely broken after the update as it won't even turn off from the blue lights unless switch off the mains. Won't go into safe mode so I'm fooked.
    There is a UK centre, you getting the number from the UK website?
  • Psiloc 15 Apr 2021 09:58:41 6,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been using rest mode extensively since day one and it's been rock solid for me. Works exactly like the PS4 did. I was completely unaware there was an issue apart from that rumoured bricking with Spiderman
  • Reacher 15 Apr 2021 10:08:06 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone had any issues with reduced picture quality in Ps5 to Ps5 shareplay. My friend amd I were doing a co-op carrer on Fifa. Everything ran well up until two days ago when the quality of the mone hosting party reduced dramatically (I host and my sl speed is 368.4mbs).

My mates screen was fine but it has just gone downhill in the past two days ro where it's unplayable.

Any (serious) ideas?
  • StaffyDog 15 Apr 2021 10:09:30 1,740 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear the number I was given says closed and to check online for opening hours which then gave me 9am ET but after more searches eventually found the first number was for the UK support but not open until 10.30 am 🙄
  • StaffyDog 15 Apr 2021 10:14:31 1,740 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm standing posed ready to ring hopefully get first in que. Got a feeling this is going to be a long day.
  • StaffyDog 15 Apr 2021 10:55:06 1,740 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That wasn't bad at all, nice chap already sent me returns label via email. Could take up to 21 days though ☹️
  • Psiloc 15 Apr 2021 11:20:08 6,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So depending on who you talk to Sony will either leave you on hold for a solid week just to ask you to try turning it off and on again, or a nice bloke will sort you a returns label within 15 minutes
  • Abarth_71 15 Apr 2021 13:03:40 61 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Darren 15 Apr 2021 13:20:06 9,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Now that the PS5 finally supports moving PS5 games over to external storage (so I no longer have to keep deleting PS5 games just to make space for PS4 games on my external hard drive!!!), I have ordered a 4 TB Crucial X6 SSD for installing my PS4 library on, which will arrive next week. I plan to use the existing 4 TB hard drive to temporarily store PS5 games on until Sony unlock the internal SSD expansion slot (so I can fit a 2 TB drive).

Does any one know if two USB drives can be connected to the PS5 at the same time? I know the PS5 can only access one External Storage device at a time but I was planning to leave my hard drive connected to the rear USB port and use the front USB-C port for the new SSD. This way I was hoping I could disconnect and reconnect to either drive as needed.

Is that possible?

Also, is there any way to move over the contents of my 4 TB hard drive onto the 4 TB SSD or is the only way by copying it from the hard drive to the internal storage and then to the SSD?
  • dfunked09 15 Apr 2021 13:24:50 1,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thinks it's just one external drive at a time. So you'd need to move as much to internal storage as you can, then switch to the new drive and move everything to that and keep repeating until the old drive is empty.
  • Darren 15 Apr 2021 13:26:50 9,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    I don't think it's NVME shortages but more with how they can cool the drives.
    Yeah, I agree. There has been talk of fan speed increases, which I suspect are related to the internal expansion SSD (maybe once you fit one then your PS5 will no longer be quiet...?) but I think Sony are waiting for some kind of third-party heat sink as well before they unlock this feature. Most existing heat sinks will not fit in the PS5. I suspect they are collabrating with SSD manufacturers and this is timing time.

I understand that NVMe drives run very hot and the temperature affects performance so the hotter they get then the slower they run, which isn't ideal for the PS5 which relies on a set transfer speed. Higher fan speeds plus a heat sink will likely be what is required to keep the additional SSD cool and running optimally.
  • harriselhoff 15 Apr 2021 13:27:55 389 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I was trying to copy my stuff over to a larger hard drive and thought it would be easy, but it only supports one usb drive at a time.
  • Psiloc 15 Apr 2021 14:30:00 6,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh hai Russian bot
  • JoelStinty 15 Apr 2021 14:47:14 9,415 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    I almost donít want to say this in fear of jinxing it, but the issues I was having with Rest Mode appear to be gone too - Iíve spent most of the afternoon installing games onto my external HDD (whilst in Rest Mode) and there havenít been any ĎDNS Disconnectsí AS OF YET.....

I didnít see anything in the patch notes about them fixing the issues with Rest Mode that I, and many others, have been having.....which tells me that either a) Itís a fluke or b) they knew about the rest mode issues and didnít want to admit it, so they sneaked in a fix without mentioning it in the notes

Based on their recent behaviour, itís absolutely option b.
    Yeah i tested this last night too, left dirt 5 downloading over night and it was still downloading this morning when I woke up. No dns errors - though I know Sony seem to prompt downloads at 5am/6am ish so it Might have restarted. Fingers crossed it now works.
  • mrpon 15 Apr 2021 23:55:37 37,164 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wishlist support on the app now, woop!
  • Rogueywon 16 Apr 2021 09:12:37 11,543 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Darren wrote:

I understand that NVMe drives run very hot and the temperature affects performance so the hotter they get then the slower they run, which isn't ideal for the PS5 which relies on a set transfer speed. Higher fan speeds plus a heat sink will likely be what is required to keep the additional SSD cool and running optimally.
    During non-gaming use, the NVMe drive is the hottest component in my PC by a significant margin, despite a decent cooling setup. I can well believe that putting two of them in a PS5 case is going to screw up the thermals.
  • [maven] 16 Apr 2021 10:17:10 5,770 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    But it's not as if they didn't know that when designing the enclosure / airflow. Seems a bit strange to me.
  • MacReadysChessWizard 16 Apr 2021 14:20:55 105 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Roger Sony's cuntish decision to block otherwise FREE upgrades to PS5 versions of games on PSNow sucks a fat one.

I'd been looking at PSNow for a while (Game Pass is amazing, obvs), and got it for cheap on CDKeys, but then downloaded Avengers (the only way I was ever gonna get this game was via GP/PSN), only to find that it (along with Borderlands 3) is actively blocked from its free upgrade.

Sony got a brownie point for including Control Ultimate Edition for "free" (vs my XSX vanilla version for "free") and then immediately shat the point up a wall with this happy horseshit.
  • dfunked09 16 Apr 2021 14:23:45 1,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You're not missing much in fairness...
  • MacReadysChessWizard 16 Apr 2021 14:26:23 105 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    You're not missing much in fairness...
    No, I know it's not exactly a corker, but it's the principal of just being tight for fuck all reason.
  • Ultrasoundwave 16 Apr 2021 14:26:51 6,364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iím not sure why some people are determined to pit Playstation Now against Game Pass.....itís not even remotely a contest.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 14:32:26 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What?
  • dfunked09 16 Apr 2021 14:33:52 1,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @MacReadysChessWizard

Yeah, it does seem a bit bizarre... Possibly just a technical thing as I can't really see a reason for them to restrict this. I think it just highlights what a clusterfuck Sony's take on smart delivery has been.
  • MacReadysChessWizard 16 Apr 2021 14:47:50 105 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Iím not sure why some people are determined to pit Playstation Now against Game Pass.....itís not even remotely a contest.
    Huh?
  • Rogueywon 16 Apr 2021 16:35:02 11,543 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    They do kinda cost about the same, so not entirely unfair to compare them...
  • BigOrkWaaagh 16 Apr 2021 17:14:42 10,434 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Then you must also compare PS+ to Gold, and it all kind of balances out.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.