• nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 17:15:29 86,445 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not really
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Apr 2021 19:32:21 10,962 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Then you must also compare PS+ to Gold, and it all kind of balances out.
    Thatís an interesting take for sure
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Apr 2021 19:32:22 10,962 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
  • BigOrkWaaagh 16 Apr 2021 20:08:26 10,448 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Why? I've said this before but one 'Netflix for games' service is great and one, shall we say, could stand to improve. One online paywall gives out 'free' games that are great (at the moment) and one gives out shit. Compare the whole shebang and it paints a different picture to PS Now is crap and Game Pass is awesome.
  • Timmywimmywoo 16 Apr 2021 20:24:46 95 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím playing Spider-Man Remastered and the HDR seems a bit muted - what are obviously meant to be lurid and pretty skies are a bit dim. It just feels like itís not giving me all my nits. Iíve fiddled with the HDR calibration in game and at the system level, and turned HDR off and back on. Perhaps itís just meant to look like this? Iím in performance RT mode.
  • SnackPlissken 16 Apr 2021 20:34:52 3,215 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Iíve found adjusting the HDR frustrating as well, which is weird because itís a Sony TV. Series X on the other hand ainít fiddled with it once.
  • Hicksy 16 Apr 2021 21:31:50 2,677 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GOTY for sure. I would say place a pre-order but you might now want to cum too early.

120/ray tracing... nailed it.

Click me gently
  • Jubilee64 16 Apr 2021 22:58:40 62 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Timmywimmywoo wrote:
    Iím playing Spider-Man Remastered and the HDR seems a bit muted - what are obviously meant to be lurid and pretty skies are a bit dim. It just feels like itís not giving me all my nits. Iíve fiddled with the HDR calibration in game and at the system level, and turned HDR off and back on. Perhaps itís just meant to look like this? Iím in performance RT mode.
    There was a YouTube video, think it was HDTV-test or similar, that showed how broke the system HDR adjustment is on some TVs.

Where it asks you to make the bright thing barely visible, it's actually better on mine if I go a notch or two past where I can't make it out - otherwise, like you, it isn't bright enough.

I also had to turn my colour up a bit. Once I got it set right I haven't had to adjust it much though.
  • SolidSCB 16 Apr 2021 23:26:59 15,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing a bit of WRC today for the first time in a few months. You forget just how good the pad is with how underutilized it has been up to now. Really hope some of the upcoming games tap into it a bit more.
  • Rogueywon 16 Apr 2021 23:30:23 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Been playing a bit of WRC today for the first time in a few months. You forget just how good the pad is with how underutilized it has been up to now. Really hope some of the upcoming games tap into it a bit more.
    True the pad is good in WRC9, but I've a nasty feeling that game was responsible for knackering R2 on two pads for me. I do wonder if other games since then have gone less heavy on the haptics on the grounds that the controller is a bit fragile.
  • MrZappa 17 Apr 2021 07:16:05 51 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jubilee64 wrote:
    Timmywimmywoo wrote:
    There was a YouTube video, think it was HDTV-test or similar, that showed how broke the system HDR adjustment is on some TVs.

Where it asks you to make the bright thing barely visible, it's actually better on mine if I go a notch or two past where I can't make it out - otherwise, like you, it isn't bright enough.

I also had to turn my colour up a bit. Once I got it set right I haven't had to adjust it much though.

https://youtu.be/FwcSCgW47rY

This is the video I believe. I have an LG OLED GX so also followed the HDTVTest set up video for that as well as this for PS5 and everything looks good. Havenít had to adjust since. YMMV of course.
  • SnackPlissken 17 Apr 2021 14:03:25 3,215 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    True the pad is good in WRC9, but I've a nasty feeling that game was responsible for knackering R2 on two pads for me. I do wonder if other games since then have gone less heavy on the haptics on the grounds that the controller is a bit fragile.
    Stop crashing and locking up the R2 button ;)
  • SolidSCB 17 Apr 2021 15:06:25 15,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh. I do worry the flimsiness will hold it back but I remember the OG PS4 pads similarly being made out of Weetabix before being sorted with second gen ones.
  • mothercruncher 17 Apr 2021 15:07:57 19,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I kind of want mine to break actually, before a year's up.
  • Abarth_71 17 Apr 2021 15:18:53 62 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My bundled DS went back for a new R2 spring. Looks like an easy job to replace it so I've bought some springs to do it myself should it happen again.
  • mothercruncher 17 Apr 2021 17:44:18 19,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What actually goes on them then? New spring, how can a spring break?
  • Abarth_71 17 Apr 2021 17:56:55 62 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mothercruncher I assumed a manufacturing issue with the springs.
    Mine broke after playing lots of Destiny 2 and I could hear a bit of it rattling around inside.
  • StaffyDog 17 Apr 2021 21:29:08 1,760 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had to replace the RT spring twice and now my ps5 is on its way back for repair with a non turn on issue. So obviously a few things Sony needs to sort. I've just ordered a Xbox series s to keep me occupied wile waiting for ps5 return among other reasons.
  • dfunked09 17 Apr 2021 21:34:09 2,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    As soon as I played Astrobot I knew that those triggers weren't going to last very long... Kind of scary that they're fucking up so quickly though.
  • Abarth_71 17 Apr 2021 22:27:28 62 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dfunked09 To be fair I don't think it's related to the adaptive triggers as mine broke after hours of Destiny 2 play.

Edited by Abarth_71 at 22:39:11 17-04-2021
  • Killerbee 17 Apr 2021 22:36:30 5,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    What actually goes on them then? New spring, how can a spring break?
    I think itís not so much that the spring breaks, as it gets bent and/or dislodged from where it should sit within the plastic R2 trigger itself.

When mine broke, the trigger still functioned, it still had extra adaptive resistance in Astroís Playroom and it still returned to its normal rest position.

It was just really loose, so that the slightest touch would activate it - you couldnít rest your finger on the trigger when playing, which basically made it unusable. My man in Demonís Souls would be swinging his sword all over the place when I didnít intend him to.

I suspect itís something Sony will probably fix on the quiet - they may even have already done so.
  • Nanocrystal 18 Apr 2021 11:04:38 2,412 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've noticed the triggers on my controller activate at the slightest touch too, don't think it's broken though.
  • Jubilee64 18 Apr 2021 11:24:50 62 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sony havenít even acknowledged receiving the controller I sent them, which they got on Wednesday (according to Royal Mail). Having now seen the videos, I think Iíd DIY it next time.
  • Trowel 19 Apr 2021 12:47:55 24,370 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PS4 games got a nice little boost with the recent controller firmware update, far more rumbly.
  • Darren 19 Apr 2021 13:02:26 9,626 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I managed to transfer all my PS4 games from the old 4 TB hard drive to the new 4 TB Crucial X6 SSD over the weekend but it took absolutely ages (literally a day in total) and a lot of faffing about transferring the games via the PS5's internal SSD, which required me to first archive all the existing PS5 games to the new SSD to make temporary space for the PS4 games. This gave me around 580 GB of internal SSD space to copy PS4 games to then I had to unmount the old hard drive and plug in the new SSD and copy said games to the new drive. 580 GB of data, copied from the internal SSD to the new SSD, tooks 2-3 hours to complete, which is unbelievably slow but it appears that Sony have capped the transfer speeds for some reason or perhaps it due to the data having to be encrypted? Either way, it took 6 or 7 lots of transfers to finally get everything copied over and this would not have been possible at all without the new firmware (I would have had to have deleted all my PS5 games first to make the space).

Quite why Sony makes what should be a straight forward process so cumbersome is beyond me. On my Xbox One X I would have been able to copy the data direct from one drive to another without all this messing around and that console is FOUR years old! Also, the Xbox One X transfers data in the background allowing you to use the console, something not possible on the PS5. Is it any wonder that I think the PS5 feels so half-baked, not helped by the still-unsupported internal SSD expansion slot and no support for VRR or ALLM.

On the positive side though, all my PS4 games load noticeably quicker and things like texture pop in is far less noticeable so it is a very nice upgrade overall. Unlike previous generations where the visual difference is greater, PS4 still look and feel great play, particularly with the 60 fps updates. In fact, I play more PS4 games on my PS5 games than I do PS5 games!
  • Weebleboy 19 Apr 2021 14:03:44 399 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    I've noticed the triggers on my controller activate at the slightest touch too, don't think it's broken though.
    It is. I had the same thing and got it replaced under warranty by Sony.
  • Wayne 19 Apr 2021 15:22:09 3,370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are there any wireless headphones that can communicate with the PS5 directly without a dongle? If I plug the Pulse dongle in the back of the console, the audio is choppy as hell (I assume there's interference from the console itself). If I plug the dongle in the front, then I've no way of charging my controller when I'm playing. It all feels like a bit of a faff.
  • harriselhoff 19 Apr 2021 15:25:15 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Wayne how about a usb extension lead from the back port?

Edited by harriselhoff at 15:26:20 19-04-2021
  • Wayne 19 Apr 2021 15:27:10 3,370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @harriselhoff It's a solution, it's just a bit... untidy I guess.
  • harriselhoff 19 Apr 2021 15:31:01 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I assumed that the official Sony headphones wouldnít need a dongle. Thatís a bit rubbish.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.