PlayStation 5 Page 552

  • JamboWayOh 10 Jun 2021 14:30:27 24,972 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So what video game is a pint of Carling then?
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 14:31:05 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was thinking about it like this yesterday. A game like Returnal probably has an absolute maximum sales potential of 3 million units. (Probably far lower really).

    If those 3mil are split between 1m ok with £70, 1m ok with £50 and 1m ok with £30. The maximum revenue potential is £150m. Assuming prices are dropped year on year it will take 3 years to pull in the cash with a maximum of £70m at the end of year 1.

    If instead it launched at £50 the maximum revenue would only be £130m from the same buyers. The publisher could however make as much as £100m in the first year instead of only £70 in the first example. (And all £130m will be made in 2 years instead of £150m in 3).

    Both options have benefits. (And yes I have hugely oversimplified it).
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 14:34:24 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dougs weissbeer normally.

    The £8 would be a standard beer like Doombar or Pride from the shitty pub next door to my office in Paddington.

    Most pints tend to be over £10 near the office.
  • monkman76 10 Jun 2021 14:34:36 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    So what video game is a pint of Carling then?
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • imamazed 10 Jun 2021 14:35:23 6,697 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    So what video game is a pint of Carling then?
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    But for the analogy to work, it has to be bafflingly popular and shit.
  • monkman76 10 Jun 2021 14:36:12 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah yes. Diablo 3 then.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 14:39:12 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Diablo 3 is a yard of Fosters.

    Starts out initially ok but you are going to wish it was finished shortly afterwards. Then you find it is going to last forever and you are probably going to fall asleep before the end.
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 14:42:49 17,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    richyroo wrote:
    Thus games like TLOU2 are very much deserving of a higher price tag, even if you get less play time out of it.
    This is just not how things work in the real world, no matter what industry. A slow-cooked brisket does not cost more than a flash-fried fillet.
    Poor analogy though. Your raw materials (assets) are not that much different. You are missing my point entirely.
    So if I go to the cinema to see a low budget indie film set in one room in Manchester then it should cost me a hell of a lot less than Lord of the Matrix 5 - The Titanicking?
  • Decks 10 Jun 2021 14:43:34 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wonder if game prices went up in increments like everything else does it would be easier for people to deal with rather than having a price increase every gen. The price increase is pretty much exactly in line with inflation but as it happens all in one go people seem to struggle to deal with it.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Jun 2021 14:50:36 5,494 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The boring answer is the value of an item is relative to the person buying/considering buying.
  • Nazo 10 Jun 2021 14:51:32 1,903 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    I don't like the "things are worth whatever people are willing to pay" argument. Worth should be relative to the production cost and predicted sales, and even then that risk should be on a publisher not a consumer. So much of this discussion seems anti-consumer "hey charge whatever you like for your product, if people are willing to pay it happy days, it's their fault for being mugs"
    What risk? Video games are pretty much the definition of a non-essential luxury item. The idea that prices should be determined by some "fair" means of calculation seems absurd. Companies will charge as much as they think they can get away with, that's capitalism for you.
  • richardiox 10 Jun 2021 14:52:59 10,062 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate

    In that example your paying for the cinema. Does the cinema have to pay the same fees to show a low budget indie flick as it does to show Titanicular?
  • nickthegun 10 Jun 2021 14:53:26 87,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I wonder if game prices went up in increments like everything else does it would be easier for people to deal with rather than having a price increase every gen. The price increase is pretty much exactly in line with inflation but as it happens all in one go people seem to struggle to deal with it.
    The difference this time is that the value of media has been completely eroded over the last decade.

    We now have all you can eat music and TV services and constant digital sales of things that arent included in those subscriptions. For games we have gamepass, constant steam, PSN and XBL sales and Epic literally giving good, recent games away. In real terms media has never been cheaper bordering on having no actual value at all.

    And now, in this landscape, games get jacked up to seventy quid? Fuck that. I havent spent that on owning other media combined in the last year.

    Edited by nickthegun at 14:54:55 10-06-2021
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 14:59:52 17,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @richardiox The cinema was an example. I could have used the purchase of a blu-ray or CD / Vinyl etc. If I buy two music albums (which I am doing these days again, fuck streaming), chances are the production costs are going to be massively different. Should I expect to pay less for one of them then? What if the more costly to produce one is 70mins long and the other is 25mins long? The 70mins one is full of filler and the 25mins long one I never take off my turntable / out my CD player. Which one is better "value" and why have I paid the same for both?

    You could argue "who cares you don't pay £70 for an album", yet a game will give me more than 7 - 10 times the length of entertainment for one run through generally, so where does the pound for pound value change?

    Edited by wuntyate at 15:01:28 10-06-2021
  • richardiox 10 Jun 2021 15:00:55 10,062 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    richardiox wrote:
    I don't like the "things are worth whatever people are willing to pay" argument. Worth should be relative to the production cost and predicted sales, and even then that risk should be on a publisher not a consumer. So much of this discussion seems anti-consumer "hey charge whatever you like for your product, if people are willing to pay it happy days, it's their fault for being mugs"
    What risk? Video games are pretty much the definition of a non-essential luxury item. The idea that prices should be determined by some "fair" means of calculation seems absurd. Companies will charge as much as they think they can get away with, that's capitalism for you.
    Exactly my point "that's capitalism" eg milk as much profit as possible from your customers. It's fair enough and "is what it is" but on this thread people are getting rinsed for complaining that games are costing £70 as standard.

    It says so much about consumer culture when you literally write "the idea that price should be determined by a fair means of calculation seems absurd". Crazy that that's the case really when we're talking about mass produced goods. The price should be fair. Surely nobody likes to feel they're having their pants-pulled-down?

    And the risk I was referring to is games not wasrecouping their development costs.
  • nickthegun 10 Jun 2021 15:01:44 87,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Because similar products have to be reasonably homogenous in price otherwise pricing would be an arbitrary, confusing nightmare.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 15:02:48 8,025 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Capitalism as a whole is rooted on ďcharge whatever people are willing to payĒ. Itís not something you can choose to ignore on personal preference, itís the foundation of the entire financial structure.

    Itís why you can have games for literal pennies on Humble et al, and also a McNugget shaped like an Among Us crewmate that sells for $10,000 on eBay.
  • richyroo 10 Jun 2021 15:03:05 646 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So we all agree Sony are taking the piss right? Excellent!

    Lets move on.
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 15:03:38 17,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, back in the day I thought nothing of spunking £70 on a meal and a few drinks and a taxi home. £70 for a game doesn't seem so bad when I could be shitting out the remains of said £70 night out whilst only going through the prologue of the game.

    Not at the same time. I don't shit on my carpet.
  • richardiox 10 Jun 2021 15:04:18 10,062 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @richardiox The cinema was an example. I could have used the purchase of a blu-ray or CD / Vinyl etc. If I buy two music albums (which I am doing these days again, fuck streaming), chances are the production costs are going to be massively different. Should I expect to pay less for one of them then? What if the more costly to produce one is 70mins long and the other is 25mins long? The 70mins one is full of filler and the 25mins long one I never take off my turntable / out my CD player. Which one is better "value" and why have I paid the same for both?

    You could argue "who cares you don't pay £70 for an album", yet a game will give me more than 7 - 10 times the length of entertainment for one run through generally, so where does the pound for pound value change?

    Edited by wuntyate at 15:01:04 10-06-2021
    What if the albums you were buying for the last 8 years suddenly jumped 20% in price. The ones you listened to once and the ones you listened to 100s of times.

    But yes, that's a good point in that the albums costs the same whether they've had millions spent on the production or just done on the cheap.
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 15:06:54 17,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @richardiox So that goes to Decks' point above then on what exactly the outrage is. Is it the fact they're £70, or the fact they've jumped up to £70 in one go?
  • monkman76 10 Jun 2021 15:07:03 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Itís why you can have games for literal pennies on Humble et al, and also a McNugget shaped like an Among Us crewmate that sells for $10,000 on eBay.
    :D
  • spookyxelectric 10 Jun 2021 15:07:04 595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    albums have more replay value than most games though 👀
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 15:07:53 8,025 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder how much of this is rooted in the traditional 1GBP = 1 USD stuff as well. The differences are more pronounced as it goes up. R&C is also $70 here which works out as £50. No tax on digital items either.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 15:08:37 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Also, back in the day I thought nothing of spunking £70 on a meal and a few drinks and a taxi home. £70 for a game doesn't seem so bad when I could be shitting out the remains of said £70 night out whilst only going through the prologue of the game.

    Not at the same time. I don't shit on my carpet.
    Are you Mowgli?
  • monkman76 10 Jun 2021 15:09:14 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can't be, his music is not angry enough.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Jun 2021 15:10:48 40,690 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    richardiox wrote:

    It says so much about consumer culture when you literally write "the idea that price should be determined by a fair means of calculation seems absurd". Crazy that that's the case really when we're talking about mass produced goods. The price should be fair. Surely nobody likes to feel they're having their pants-pulled-down? .

    You could very well argue that "fair" is the price people are willing to pay. And games get considerably cheaper all the time.

    How do you want to even define what a "fair" price is?

    Development time? Number of people involved, as some have suggested? So a more efficient team that is faster deserves less? Does quality factor in, or just effort?

    Net profit? So a team with nicer offices can ask for more?

    There is no such thing as a "fair" price.
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 15:11:16 17,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @spookyxelectric My point wasn't "do albums bear more repetition than games", but how the relative production costs impact on the pricing and the perceived value of each one.
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 15:13:42 17,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Are you Mowgli?
    I like to think I'm a bit classier than him. I shit on a chaise lounge normally.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 15:14:16 8,025 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe the £70 would be more palatable if they stuck a ďlimited editionĒ sticker on it and shipped it with some cheap plastic tat thatíll only see the light of day for a few minutes before being shoved into a knickknack box until the next Marie Kondo event.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.