Following PlayStation 5 Page 553

• wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 15:15:03 17,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't grumble if I got a wee action figure now you mention it.
  • spookyxelectric 10 Jun 2021 15:16:00 532 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @spookyxelectric My point wasn't "do albums bear more repetition than games", but how the relative production costs impact on the pricing and the perceived value of each one.

I'm just being a cunt.

£70 is a lot. I bought Ratchet full price. Would rather not do it again.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 15:21:39 7,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyway, I think there’s a point to be made that this wouldn’t just be an arbitrarily chosen price point. There would have been many boring accounting powerpoints presented about this that no back of the napkin “if you sold it for less you’d sell more” can really compare to. Gamers are also a fickle bunch mass susceptible to FOMO and having to have new shinies now. A number of people who went “fuck that, never buying it for that price, let’s boycott and vote with our wallets” on Returnal were then playing it day one.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 15:24:05 7,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I dunno how many of them went through Indian VPNs buying it in rubles off https://gamezcheap.wix.com though.
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2021 15:25:51 99,627 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @Dougs weissbeer normally.

The £8 would be a standard beer like Doombar or Pride from the shitty pub next door to my office in Paddington.

Most pints tend to be over £10 near the office.
    I'd be going slightly further afield!
  • Killerbee 10 Jun 2021 15:28:33 5,178 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @nickthegun

I agree about the erosion in value placed in most media, but by the same token you do still have “event” content that successfully commands a premium price, whether that’s sporting events on pay per view, or concerts or - obviously - movie cinema releases.

COVID has complicated things, of course, but I think we will eventually return to those premium experiences where we pay more for some content.

Sony is obviously banking on its games having that sense of premium value but I think that’s because of their history as a content and hardware company.

Microsoft has had more of a service-focussed outlook for a while now, and that’s accelerated since Office 365 and so on. Hence Gamepass and a focus on lots of broad based content to keep you subscribed.

I think both can work, but I’m also glad that both exist. I hope we continue to have that choice between first class AAA games that retail at full price, and a cheaper, low-risk subscription option.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 15:34:32 17,034 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dougs pub closest to office is one of the cheaper ones in Paddington. Ones in the canal basin tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

Occasionally we walk to Bayswater which is a bit cheaper but normally we cannot be arsed.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 15:39:42 7,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also worth remembering that service driven models only tend to be cheap to early adopters. Like when "cord cutting" was a thing and everyone was so excited to be free from cable/satellite conglomerates charging a small fortune for a big package, only now it's stabilized to the point where it's pretty much the same cost for the same content anyway, and the only legitimate cost savings comes with patience and waiting for something to roll down to a lower tier (which is very comparable to the "wait for rental/sky/BBC movie at Christmas" patience game of yore, just on a much more compressed timeline). Live TV services are pretty much the same price point as cable was, and it's already at a "also pay extra for package X with the stuff you really care about"
  • richyroo 10 Jun 2021 18:29:25 637 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I see the new Battlefield game is now £70 on PS5 and Series X, or £110 for the ultimate edition. More expensive than previous gen and PC versions.

All of you willing to give Sony your £70 for new releases and thus showing other publishers what they can get away with, give yourself a pat on the back. We will forever now be shafted with insane game prices.

Sony and EA can fuck right off. I will buy their games secondhand or not at all.

Countdown started until Ubisoft pulls the same shit......

Edited by richyroo at 18:30:49 10-06-2021
  • Mark1412 10 Jun 2021 18:42:09 2,226 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty easy one though, if it's not worth it, don't buy it. Or as you say, buy second hand. Would I pay £70 for any of the recycled shite EA peddle? God no. Happy to pay it for Returnal though. Forty+ hours of quality entertainment from a great developer.

Edited by Mark1412 at 18:42:39 10-06-2021
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 18:51:02 7,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Time for a sternly written letter to your MPs.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2021 18:51:11 16,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aye. I find it easy enough to ignore their stuff already so at £70 they can kiss my hoop.
  • Decks 10 Jun 2021 19:04:53 30,271 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    I see the new Battlefield game is now £70 on PS5 and Series X, or £110 for the ultimate edition. More expensive than previous gen and PC versions.

All of you willing to give Sony your £70 for new releases and thus showing other publishers what they can get away with, give yourself a pat on the back. We will forever now be shafted with insane game prices.

Sony and EA can fuck right off. I will buy their games secondhand or not at all.

Oh pipe down you tit.
  • Gibroon 10 Jun 2021 19:11:28 2,633 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @richyroo

Some of the ultimate editions of cod and fifa were that much last gen. A friend of mine was telling me all this a couple of years ago as her son needed to have all the add-ons so he could play with his mates etc.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 19:12:20 17,034 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I want everything for free. Waaaah
    Why are new shiny things expensive? Waaah, Waaaah
  • richyroo 10 Jun 2021 19:16:58 637 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    richyroo wrote:

Oh pipe down you tit.
    Nothing to contribute then please shut up
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 19:17:34 17,034 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That’s what Decks said.
  • Decks 10 Jun 2021 19:19:44 30,271 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone who's bought a game in the last 10 years needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Look at what you did.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 19:21:34 7,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    People who have a bigger threshold of personal value than I do are THE DEVIL INCARNATE
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2021 19:21:50 17,034 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, if nobody had bought any games on the PS1-4 the PS5 wouldn’t exist. We should all be ashamed of ourselves for letting that happen.
  • richyroo 10 Jun 2021 19:36:28 637 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh geez, here comes the circle jerk of Eurogamer veterans to piss all over the guy that holds a different opinion.
  • Decks 10 Jun 2021 19:38:24 30,271 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe the price increase is so high in this country as they need to make up the shortfall from people who setup foreign accounts to save a couple of quid. THOSE FUCKING MONSTERS HAVE RUINED IT FOR US ALL.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 19:41:18 7,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "YOU GUYS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR RUINING GAMING, THANKS"
    "no"
    "omg what a circle jerk"
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2021 19:42:08 16,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WHAT ABOUT FREDDOS
  • Decks 10 Jun 2021 19:42:14 30,271 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    Oh geez, here comes the circle jerk of Eurogamer veterans to piss all over the guy that holds a different opinion.
    Nothing to do with a difference of opinion, it's about you being a tit and telling people to pat themselves on the back. Enjoy your moral superiority while your buying all your games from the Indian PSN you idiot.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Jun 2021 19:46:14 24,300 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT FREDDOS
    You know what, I was never a Freddo fan. It's just dairy milk but it's cheapness put me off. Now if it was 70 quid I might give it another look.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2021 19:48:04 16,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was always a Taz man myself. Fat fuck need caramel.
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 19:51:44 17,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    They're not insane prices though. 70 quid is still something I can justify 2 or 3 times a year for anticipated games. A lot of work goes into making a game, I think it's worth it. The rest I get in sales and pay fuck all for.

There's a balance. It's not 70 quid all the time, but if you're someone that buys every new release at launch then yes you'll notice it. Yet I've never been well enough off or motivated enough to buy every new release anyway, which is fine, so I do what I mentioned above. And it's balance.
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2021 19:53:55 99,627 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    +1
  • richyroo 10 Jun 2021 19:54:19 637 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Decks do you always resort to name calling when someone comes along that you disagree with? It’s clear there is no point engaging with you anymore.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.