Next Last
  • StixxUK 9 Oct 2019 08:29:56 8,213 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Stadia all the way, who's with me?!
  • SolidSCB 9 Oct 2019 09:05:01 11,576 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to love Xbox during the 360 era, but it now reminds me a lot of Simon Pegg's character in that shitty World's End film. Still driving the same car, wearing the same clothes, same crap one-liners, same mannerisms. Literally stuck perpetually in one singular moment in time when everything was great, completely unable to move on while the rest of the world drastically changes around him.

It's just Halo, Gears, Forza, Halo, Gears, Forza, Halo, Gears Forza and has been for the better part of 15 fucking years.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2019 10:04:30 14,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They have just bought a load of studios to try and change that though.
  • X201 9 Oct 2019 10:14:52 19,415 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Halo, Gears, Forza, Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears Forza

A massive change ;)
  • SolidSCB 9 Oct 2019 10:27:22 11,576 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gears is the one that got me. I bought another Xbox One recently and got Gears 5 on gamepass (which is cool as fuck, so props to them for that).

I kept reading things like "GEARS IS BACK!", "This is the change the series needed!", "New lease of life".

It is almost the exact same thing I remember playing in like 2006, albeit with a bit of a 5-years-too-late open world section a little bit into it and the ability to tell your robot to pick ammo up for you. It makes me think, what are people seeing that I'm not? Or have they just been so starved of new ideas for so long that these little tweaks are seen as groundbreaking? I haven't had an Xbox since Halo 5 and on the face of it I don't feel like I've missed out on a single meaningful thing.
  • AaronTurner 9 Oct 2019 11:01:57 11,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gears 5 was exactly the same as the rest, but was really enjoyable aside from that shitty boss in the 2nd act.
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2019 11:08:11 31,987 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    I may not be recalling teh studios correctly but I don't feel like what they've got are the big hitters they need to do that. They'll certainly provide a better spread of titles over time - action adventure, rpg, etc - but they seem like 2nd tier studios (for lack of a more fair term - I do like the output of Ninja Theory and Obsidian, as examples).

ed: maybe it doesn't really matter in the long run, maybe the bit of variety is all that's required. It certainly won't hurt.

Edited by Derblington at 11:09:22 09-10-2019
  • Psiloc 9 Oct 2019 11:11:48 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have all three. My X1 is a glorified UHDBR player. Sorry, but based on the complete and unmitigated misfire the Xbox was this gen, I literally can't get my head around anybody betting on them again at this early stage.

I mean of course, they could be the come back kid and do another lean console like the 360 while Sony do another bloated PS3 or whatever and we all flock back to MS en masse. But to say at this point that you're 100% behind the Xbox based on the legacy of the X1? That's just a bit fucking weird IMO.
  • Malek86 9 Oct 2019 11:16:21 8,926 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't care all that much about either legacy or exclusives, so I'll go for whichever console gives me the cheapest games.

So far, that's looking like the Xbox, but to be honest I'm still not sure I want to drop 150 euro for 3 years of Game Pass until I know for sure what I'm getting into. I have a feeling that both Scarlet and PS5 are going to be crazy expensive boxes. There were stories about MS offering a cheaper, less powerful option, but I won't believe it until some proper announcement.
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2019 11:19:52 31,987 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cheap games would be nice but I have a bad habit of not investing in something I've not paid for. GamePass is great value but I find that I pick up and drop games as easily because there are so many. When I buy something I tend to want to justify the purchase by actually playing the damn things.

I love the idea of subs to game services but I'm not sure it'll be a good addition to my hobby.
  • Malek86 9 Oct 2019 11:27:12 8,926 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I see that as a negative myself. There have been games I've forced myself to play just because I had paid for them. At the end of the day, I would look back and think "did I have fun? Was it a good use of my time? No, it was not".

With subscription services, I can generally avoid that problem. If there's a game I'm not liking, I'll just drop it and get onto better stuff. And I can still buy the games I really liked, if I think that I could want to play them again in the future.

Mind, this is only true for discounted prices. I still wouldn't want to pay 15 euro for each month of Game Pass, that's too much imho. That's why I would only consider it if the Gold conversion deal is still valid.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:28:25 09-10-2019
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2019 11:45:10 31,987 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm happy to drop something I don't like but at least I'll give it some time to see. With GP I just play stuff for 30-60 mins > next thing.
  • SolidSCB 9 Oct 2019 11:55:37 11,576 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm very much like that with PS+ titles. There's definitely a bit of sunk cost fallacy to it.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2019 11:59:24 15,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why can't we all like what we like guys. C'mon guys stop the hate and the violence.
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2019 12:25:33 31,987 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I'm very much like that with PS+ titles. There's definitely a bit of sunk cost fallacy to it.
    Yeah, I do it here too. Very few Plus titles I'll actually play all the way to the end.
  • pacrifice 9 Oct 2019 19:11:08 4,873 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just want some quiet fans.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 19:22:25 7,026 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    /whispering voice

Wooo, I like user pacrifice, his eye for a bargain and disregard for his diabetes are just two reasons
  • pacrifice 9 Oct 2019 19:28:25 4,873 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like you too, whatever the weather.
  • Carlo 9 Oct 2019 20:00:36 20,609 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I have all three. My X1 is a glorified UHDBR player. Sorry, but based on the complete and unmitigated misfire the Xbox was this gen, I literally can't get my head around anybody betting on them again at this early stage.
    Well, I've bought the Ultimate XBox pass, but not for the xbox. I'll be using this for the PC games I get with it.

Hopefully Flight Simulator will be on this pass.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2019 20:02:40 15,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    Well, I've bought the Ultimate XBox pass, but not for the xbox. I'll be using this for the PC games I get with it.

Hopefully Flight Simulator will be on this pass.
    I'm pretty sure they confirmed it was.
  • monkman76 9 Oct 2019 20:08:00 15,118 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    /whispering voice

Wooo, I like user pacrifice, his eye for a bargain and disregard for his diabetes are just two reasons
    :D
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.