PlayStation 5 Page 91

• Britesparc 14 Sep 2020 14:24:38 2,125 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My prediction is $499 for the disc, $399 for the digital, but don't know how they'll convert that into pounds or euros.

I think it'll release in the US before the Xbox but in Europe after the Xbox, confusing everybody again.
  • nickthegun 14 Sep 2020 14:26:04 82,982 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Im fairly sure sony can get the cost of a blu ray drive down below 250
  • Derblington 14 Sep 2020 14:27:34 33,905 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It'll launch after and the digital won't be £250.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 14:31:17 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whichever one releases first wins it all IMO. Even it's just by a few hours.
  • KD 14 Sep 2020 14:31:22 2,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd love to know what the plan was when this story appeared everywhere, no doubt plans have changed.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-14-playstation-ceo-says-its-emphasising-value-as-opposed-to-price-when-it-comes-to-pricing-the-ps5
  • bladdard 14 Sep 2020 14:34:10 1,387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    My prediction is $499 for the disc, $399 for the digital, but don't know how they'll convert that into pounds or euros.

I think it'll release in the US before the Xbox but in Europe after the Xbox, confusing everybody again.
    I think this is spot on. £450 + £350 would be my guess at U.K. prices. Neither cheap enough on price to compete with the Xbox series S.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 14:38:29 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still can't see that many people actually wanting the series S.
  • Derblington 14 Sep 2020 14:38:32 33,905 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, but they don't need to. That whole "value" thing is the key to it - at £350 they'd have the cheapest full fat 4K/SSD option, which makes it the best value proposition. No need to upgrade, no need to add more storage.

Add on the 1st party library, PSNow for subs, VR for experiences and they have their marketing push.
  • Malek86 14 Sep 2020 14:39:59 10,521 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Would be interesting if they can price the digital version $100 below the disc one. They would definitely need to take a bigger hit on it. But I guess they could count on digital games and subscriptions to make up for the rest?
  • KD 14 Sep 2020 14:40:33 2,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does this...

Outside of the COVID restrictions making this a unique challenge for PlayStation, this is also the first hardware launch under the new company structure. In the past, PlayStation launches happened in individual territories, with different country teams creating and running their own ads and slogans. Beginning with the Spider-Man launch on PS4 in 2018, Sony now creates global campaigns that get localised for individual markets. This means the ad we're seeing here will be replicated around the globe, and the tagline "Play Has No Limits" will be the brand line everywhere.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-08-20-playstation-launching-a-console-during-a-pandemic-is-a-massive-challenge-on-every-front

End up being like this...

Edited by KD at 14:40:49 14-09-2020
  • Britesparc 14 Sep 2020 14:42:19 2,125 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @bladdard I have a feeling they're either gonna be buggers and go for £429 for the disc-based console to undercut Series X by a smidge, or if they're confident as you say that their "budget" console is sufficiently attractive, save some money by making the disc-based version slightly more expensive, eg £475.
  • KD 14 Sep 2020 14:46:09 2,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I can see the S outselling the X, not for anyone who comes to sites like this but just parents xmas shopping or randoms who may get bought into the hype for a Red Dead/GTA, or joining friends on random game but havent had a console in years.

Nobody got a crystal ball ofc but I'd bet on them selling quite a few compared to the X. If prices stay the same etc.
  • Malek86 14 Sep 2020 14:48:20 10,521 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's not launch console material - people who are willing to buy at launch want the best. Remember when the 360 launched, everyone bought the Pro, nobody wanted the Core.

But a few years after launch, when everyone who really wanted the console bought it already, only the mainstream market remains, and at that point, price does become important. After 2009, the 360 Arcade with its paltry 3GB was handily outselling the Elite models (thanks to its low $199 price point, but also Kinect bundles).

The question is whether MS can get the price of the S down to $199, and how long it will take. Prices in general have been fairly high this gen. The PS4 never officially went below $299. Even the Xbox One was at least $249 for the discless model, if you exclude the fact that sales happened all the time.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:50:50 14-09-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 14:48:50 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't see many people wanting the series X either to be fair ha.
  • Derblington 14 Sep 2020 14:52:15 33,905 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    It's not launch console material - people who are willing to buy at launch want the best. Remember when the 360 launched, everyone bought the Pro, nobody wanted the Core.
    Series S isn't aimed at these people. They're trying to get the rest of the market to be interested in purchasing on launch day.
  • SolidSCB 14 Sep 2020 14:53:36 13,139 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had absolutely no interest in a next gen Xbox until they announced the price for the S. If I wasn't getting the boy one for Christmas I'd 100% have picked one up anyway to accompany the PS5.
  • Britesparc 14 Sep 2020 14:56:23 2,125 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Microsoft's press video that leaked over the weekend also said (paraphrasing) that they don't expect costs of components to come down significantly over the life of this generation, and therefore there's less scope for a slimmed-down Series X down the road (or, presumably, a mid-gen refresh), so they wanted their budget option front-and-centre. So yeah, I think their strategy is for nerds like us to rush and buy the Series X at launch, and then the bulk of the sales will be the Series S for the norms. Especially if they can drop the price further by Christmas '21, or if they're ever able to soup up the machine at all down the road.
  • Pierre2k 14 Sep 2020 14:58:40 1,249 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Buying them for a second time, yes.
    Iíll mention again the examples of still having Half Life 2 available after nearly 20 years on the same Steam account despite countless hardware revisions in that time, and 10-15 year old Xbox 360 games still on my account to play on the next gen Xbox, which will no doubt take me well into 20+ years of consistent digital ownership. And it looks like Sony are now doing exactly the same thing.

I will admit going all digital with Nintendo is probably more risky in terms of future platform compatibility.
    This hits on my main issue with, and ultimate acceptance of, digital purchases. Generally, I've always preferred physical media. Not for trade-in value as such, but because I'm a natural hoarder, and I love to collect games. You bought the physical item and it was yours to keep.

On PC I had no choice but to go digital, but it didn't bother me as many games were sold so cheap. Also, I knew that it didn't matter if I changed PC. 20 years later, I can still access my old games.

In the current generation of consoles though, my attitude changed and I now gravitate towards digital. A few reasons for this:
    - improved backwards compatibility/promises that your collection goes with you
    - the fact that all games have to be installed anyway (i.e. no benefit of being able to immediately play off disc instead of a lengthy download. Both take a long time).
    - discs are useless now anyway seeing as most games have huge day-one patches or are massively online dependant. For example, early in the gen, still wanting discs, I bought Destiny on PS4. In future, given its all online, what possible value does that disc have? It's not like with my Saturn collection where I can play Saturn Bomberman in a complete state anytime).

All that said, I'd need to keep at least one disc based console under my TV as I use them for Blu-ray's, including the handful of UHD discs I currently play via my XB1X.

For games, I'll now somewhat reluctantly stick with digital.
  • spookyxelectric 14 Sep 2020 15:54:49 149 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pierre2k wrote:

- the fact that all games have to be installed anyway (i.e. no benefit of being able to immediately play off disc instead of a lengthy download. Both take a long time).
    This is such a big factor for me. I recall when the Switch came out, people were going on about going all-digital on it because it's a portable. For me, it made more sense to go all digital on the bigger consoles because games don't just read off the disc like they did in previous years. Either way, I'm waiting 45 minutes for it to install (this past gen), and either way they're going to use around 60-100GB on the drive. At least on Switch, you just pop the card in and go.

But yeah, like you, I need a disc drive for movies.

Edited by spookyxelectric at 16:15:52 14-09-2020
  • Nazo 14 Sep 2020 16:09:42 1,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Switch is the worst one for swapping for me. Every time I want to have a Ring Fit session I'll put the Switch in the dock, get it all set up then find I've got the wrong chuffing cartridge in.
  • Kay 14 Sep 2020 16:51:45 20,734 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Nazo sounds like a very convenient excuse to avoid exercising tbh
  • mothercruncher 14 Sep 2020 17:53:46 18,032 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have you got a nice fit ring though Nazo?
  • Nazo 14 Sep 2020 18:03:21 1,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sadly since lockdown my ringís not fit for much at all.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Sep 2020 18:11:42 20,750 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like a challenge to me...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Sep 2020 18:14:54 20,709 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aside from anything else, I just donít see the point of data being on physical media when it could be on a hard drive, or better, in a cloud.

I love stuff as much as anyone and have shelves and shelves of vinyl. But thatís actually analogue. Itís supposed to be physical. DVDs and CDs and the like just seem like the biggest waste of shelf space.
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Sep 2020 18:25:30 6,461 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As much as I love the idea of being able to play my games 20+ years after they came out, I canít remember the last time I actually did.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Sep 2020 18:38:12 20,750 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    As much as I love the idea of being able to play my games 20+ years after they came out, I canít remember the last time I actually did.
    You mean you haven't had a hankering to play Blinx or Grabbed by the Ghoulies?
  • spookyxelectric 14 Sep 2020 18:44:42 149 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I played OutRun 2 last night.
  • spookyxelectric 14 Sep 2020 18:44:43 149 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Your-Mother 14 Sep 2020 19:06:56 4,743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Yeah, this. Digital preservation is obviously a necessary thing, but thatís for enthusiasts, experts and people in that field. If it randomly transpires that I canít replay Assassins Creed 2 in 2025 Iím not sure Iíll give a flying fuck.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.