Following PlayStation 5 Page 12

• BigOrkWaaagh 13 May 2020 22:58:35 9,308 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they should get a representative from Sony and one from MS on stage together with numbers written on boards and make them reveal them at the same time. Then we can get this shit moving.
  • Nanocrystal 13 May 2020 23:00:43 2,046 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Phattso wrote:Diminishing returns anyways. Fuck the visuals - give me something new to play.
    This.

I know it was just a visual whizbang demo and saucy as it looked, I did find myself thinking "that's great, but I've played the bum out of Uncharted and Tomb Raider already".

I hope Naughty Dog create new IP this coming gen, far removed from Drake and Co. as possible.
    Yup. It looked pretty but when the character squeezed sideways through that narrow gap I rolled my eyes. Also, that dynamic animation where she put her had on the door frame was already in Uncharted 3. 3!
  • MrAGSystems 13 May 2020 23:16:03 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I think it's why I don't enjoy a lot of big games and seem to have gravitated back to "pure" games (as in, arcade shooters, racing, fighting, puzzle, etc.) instead of "experience" games.

There's a bit of me that is half thinking that this was deliberately designed to evoke pangs of Uncharted.
  • jonathanlealand 13 May 2020 23:17:21 42 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I find it harder and harder to get excited about slightly better graphics these days. Seems the days of mind-blowing generational leaps are well behind us. Although perhaps VR provides that? I’ve not tried it yet.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 May 2020 23:30:38 9,308 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jonathanlealand wrote:
    I find it harder and harder to get excited about slightly better graphics these days. Seems the days of mind-blowing generational leaps are well behind us. Although perhaps VR provides that? I’ve not tried it yet.
    First time I tried VR I was absolutely giddy with excitement and I could not wait to try it again. It did definitely provide that 'leap' for me, although it's been a while since I've been on it.
  • MrAGSystems 13 May 2020 23:35:05 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I really hope PSVR2 is better with glasses as I couldn't wear the headset properly because mine are just too big.
  • up_the_ante 14 May 2020 00:25:51 1,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @jonathanlealand VR is definitely a leap in reality akin to the leap from 2D to 3D for me. From what I remember using VR for the first time I was fully expecting the move your head around and feel like you're in the 3D space sensation, but what I wasn't expecting was the stereo vision, which gives everything depth and a perceived solidness to it. So you get the double whammy of sensations.
  • jonathanlealand 14 May 2020 07:11:52 42 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    @jonathanlealand VR is definitely a leap in reality akin to the leap from 2D to 3D for me. From what I remember using VR for the first time I was fully expecting the move your head around and feel like you're in the 3D space sensation, but what I wasn't expecting was the stereo vision, which gives everything depth and a perceived solidness to it. So you get the double whammy of sensations.
    Yeah I miss that feeling of just being blown away by new tech as opposed to the incremental progress of current generation leaps, VR aside.

Very tempted by VR but I don’t have (or want) a PC so my only current option is PSVR on base PS4... which I read is a bit ropy? Hopefully PS5 has PSVR 2.

Incidentally I already have likes of Tetris effect, Resi 7, Rez and other VR compat games. They’re all brilliant and my mind boggles to think how good they must be in VR.

Edited by jonathanlealand at 07:12:33 14-05-2020
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 May 2020 08:27:08 9,308 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jonathanlealand wrote:
    up_the_ante wrote:
    Yeah I miss that feeling of just being blown away by new tech as opposed to the incremental progress of current generation leaps, VR aside.

Very tempted by VR but I don’t have (or want) a PC so my only current option is PSVR on base PS4... which I read is a bit ropy? Hopefully PS5 has PSVR 2.

Incidentally I already have likes of Tetris effect, Resi 7, Rez and other VR compat games. They’re all brilliant and my mind boggles to think how good they must be in VR.
    I don't think there's that much difference between base and pro VR in all honesty.
  • Theshape80 14 May 2020 08:44:17 284 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @jonathanlealand the first time I played VR , particularly RE7, it was one of the most awe inspiring moments of had in 30 years of gaming.

Edited by Theshape80 at 08:44:55 14-05-2020
  • ozthegweat 14 May 2020 08:53:05 2,437 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully the PS5 comes with all the VR stuff built right in, so you can plug in the headset with one cable directly into the console and that's it (or even better go wireless). After moving, the main reason I haven't hooked up my PSVR yet is the sheer chaos of cables it creates. Right now it's tidy and nice.
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 09:11:01 25,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    There's a bit of me that is half thinking that this was deliberately designed to evoke pangs of Uncharted.
    Wot? There’s a woman. With a ponytail. And a shit posh British accent. In an underground temple. Moving ancient machinery around...

...and your first thought is “Uncharted!”???

I know they’re largely indistinguishable nowadays, but come on! :-D
  • Dougs 14 May 2020 09:16:53 93,552 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    :D
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2020 09:17:31 24,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moaning about the gameplay in a graphics tech engine demo is some peak level fuzzyducking
  • nickthegun 14 May 2020 09:29:04 81,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    People say 'its not all about the gwaffix!' but I started playing Just Cause 4 on the PC recently and all the character models look like they escaped from a house fire in GTA: San Andreas. It genuinely tears you away from what little immersion you have with the game every time one of the cunts starts speaking or one of the spacky NPCs stumbles by.
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 09:34:45 25,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hey, I'm not saying I don't want things to look the mutts nutts - but in the present generation there have been plenty of jaw dropping visuals paraded out before us. Feels like, for the right team with the right budget, that's in the bag. Something genuinely new though? Not so much.

That said, of course, I'll lap it all up regardless because I'm too far gone at this point. But the fact that Hollow Knight, a £12 game made by half a dozen people, is one of my games of the generation - and even that wasn't the most original offering - might suggest that I, and by extension THE WHOLE WORLD, might just be tiring of the fizz-bang. :)

But no. There are always the young ones coming through, mouths agape, to feed the machine. Fucking males 18-35. Make me sick.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2020 09:37:40 24,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stop doing it then?
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 09:38:40 25,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stop doing what then?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2020 09:40:15 24,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The males.
  • Frogofdoom 14 May 2020 09:40:57 16,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would much rather their first aim was 60 fps and work out the resolution and everything else from there. AC odyssey was stunning at times and I would rather the new ac looked like that with a rock solid 60 than a shinier game at 30.
  • nickthegun 14 May 2020 09:41:50 81,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its probably fair to say that the most lauded games this generation are the most inventive ones, rather than the best looking. If you asked the average game poseur to list their top ten games this gen, half of them would look no better than grannys garden.

But...... as someone with the gaming taste of Michael Bay, I want something that will blow my tits off.
  • mrpon 14 May 2020 09:42:21 36,117 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Stop doing it then?
    :D
  • nickthegun 14 May 2020 09:42:50 81,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    I would much rather their first aim was 60 fps and work out the resolution and everything else from there. AC odyssey was stunning at times and I would rather the new ac looked like that with a rock solid 60 than a shinier game at 30.
    Bloodborne at an actual 60fps.
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 09:47:32 25,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The males.
    You're assuming I'm not an emetophiliac, which I find very upsetting in these more enlightened days!
  • monkman76 14 May 2020 09:50:06 16,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is that someone who really likes the Lego Movie?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2020 10:00:20 24,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    The males.
    You're assuming I'm not an emetophiliac, which I find very upsetting in these more enlightened days!
    Ha, did you have to look that up or were you already aware of it?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2020 10:01:17 28,692 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As much as I love new and shiny, this gen still can blow me away visually; RE2, Bloodborne, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Yakuza 0 etc.
    My favourite game this gen is BOTW but despite being on the Switch, looks utterly beautiful.I'm currently playing Persona 5 Royal, which is basically an upscaled PS3 game and it looks fantastic.

Like some others, I'd rather the extra powah was used more intelligently, e.g. if Bloodborne 2 comes out, I'd rather it was a solid 60fps with teh shiny died down.
  • dominalien 14 May 2020 10:02:06 9,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    You can’t see 60 fps in screenshots, so that won’t happen. Luckily, not everything has to look like a soap opera so 30 fps is much preferred.
  • mothercruncher 14 May 2020 10:17:32 17,608 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    I really hope PSVR2 is better with glasses as I couldn't wear the headset properly because mine are just too big.
  • Rhaegyr 14 May 2020 10:18:28 5,038 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What?

Can't think of a single advantage of 30FPS over 60FPS for games.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.