Following PlayStation 5 Page 13

• mothercruncher 14 May 2020 10:21:25 18,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No, but hes right in one way. Developers will continue to ram fireworks into their worlds so that marketing screenshots look great... and that means 30fps still next gen. Find that a bit depressing tbh.
  • Rhaegyr 14 May 2020 10:24:00 5,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah - I remember when they touted the PS3 as a 60fps/1080p machine, nevermind the PS4 or PS5 :|

Edited by Rhaegyr at 10:24:18 14-05-2020
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 May 2020 10:25:15 13,282 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The human eye can't perceive anything above 17.5 fpses anyway.
  • RyanDS 14 May 2020 10:26:07 13,444 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its probably fair to say that the most lauded games this generation are the most inventive ones, rather than the best looking. If you asked the average game poseur to list their top ten games this gen, half of them would look no better than grannys garden.

But...... as someone with the gaming taste of Michael Bay, I want something that will blow my tits off.
    Hmm... there is a place for Uncharted and The Last of Us. But those are more than just pretty, they also have great writing. Graphics elevates a good game, but doesn't compensate for a bad one. (Lets ignore Myst existed...)
  • beastmaster 14 May 2020 10:32:38 21,645 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Didn't DF say we're likely to get a lot more 4K at 60fps this time around? I'm sure if they also use ray tracing then we will most likely get the lovely at 30fps.

I'm sure we're going to get plenty of great games with lush graphics running at 60fps.

But all that aside, I'd love to see an update for Spider-Man. Get it up to 60fps and then use the rest of the power for lush graphics. Or at least have the option to do that or have 30fps with ultra-lush.

Edit: I'm going to add another lush! :-)

Edited by beastmaster at 10:33:21 14-05-2020
  • nickthegun 14 May 2020 11:03:31 83,632 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its probably fair to say that the most lauded games this generation are the most inventive ones, rather than the best looking. If you asked the average game poseur to list their top ten games this gen, half of them would look no better than grannys garden.

But...... as someone with the gaming taste of Michael Bay, I want something that will blow my tits off.
    Hmm... there is a place for Uncharted and The Last of Us. But those are more than just pretty, they also have great writing. Graphics elevates a good game, but doesn't compensate for a bad one. (Lets ignore Myst existed...)
    Yeah, I mean, obviously, one is useless without the other and, for me, it cuts both ways. The games I enjoyed most this gen were largely both (hello GoW4 and H:ZD).
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 11:15:56 26,179 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    The males.
    You're assuming I'm not an emetophiliac, which I find very upsetting in these more enlightened days!
    Ha, did you have to look that up or were you already aware of it?
    You continue to persecute my very real condition, sir. For shame!

I knew it was a thing, but had to look it up to remind myself of the name. My opening gambit was Vomophiliac :D
  • JYM60 14 May 2020 15:20:51 18,553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Colour me not exactly blown away. Was basically pre rendered corridors of a cave? Just me? I guess when I play a game I just walk through a cave, not look at every grain of sand or triangle or whatever.
  • beastmaster 14 May 2020 15:25:14 21,645 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Colour me not exactly blown away. Was basically pre rendered corridors of a cave? Just me? I guess when I play a game I just walk through a cave, not look at every grain of sand or triangle or whatever.
    I don't think so. There's a bit of it where they stopped the game and started moving around the lighting source around in real time.
  • Nexus_6 14 May 2020 15:29:33 5,444 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JYM60 I thought the whole point was it wasn't pre-rendered, rather done in real-time, like when they paused and changed the dynamic lighting sources etc.
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 15:51:05 26,179 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not only that it wasn't pre-rendered, but also that it was the full-fat movie-quality assets rather than faked things with LOD transitions etc. etc.

As mentioned above, it remains to be seen how shippable something with those sorts of assets is - but it's impressive nonetheless. Lighting that "just works" (TM) without needing to be pre-baked will also shorten dev times, and increase the sorts of things they can do with it.

Basically it's Digital Foundry's wet dream.
  • Decks 14 May 2020 15:59:09 27,417 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The bit at the end where it transitioned so seamlessly to the open area was cool.
  • Rum_Monkey 14 May 2020 16:04:59 1,583 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I hope the ps5 can get hair right. People are sporting some proper dodgy wigs in the majority of games.
  • beastmaster 14 May 2020 16:06:53 21,645 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm sure the next Tomb raider game will look absolutely amazing.

Be interesting when Sony does do its "E3". I'm a lot more optimistic about Sony having a lot more original IP content than Microsoft. Having said that, I wouldn't object to a Spider-Man 2.
  • JYM60 14 May 2020 16:14:23 18,553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does anyone actually care if it is pre rendered or not? I mean it is just a corridor. Unless it's interactive I'm not really that fussed. The lighting did look very nice though.
  • beastmaster 14 May 2020 16:21:03 21,645 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Does anyone actually care if it is pre rendered or not? I mean it is just a corridor. Unless it's interactive I'm not really that fussed. The lighting did look very nice though.
    Yeah. All those triangles are fully interactive. What else you got? :-)
  • richarddavies 14 May 2020 16:22:16 8,001 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All I want to know if will more games have blimps and how well will they be rendered.
  • Phattso 14 May 2020 17:30:25 26,179 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    You think that the demo is literally just about rendering a corridor? "Hey, everyone, come look at Epic's new corridor tech!"

It's a demo. It's showing massively detailed assets in-game with no LOD. It's showing fully dynamic, global lighting. It's showing particle simulations with physics. That's all game changing. It's a tech demo. It's showing the tech.

To think that it's literally a piece of technology to allow people to make corridors is a phenomenal failure of imagination.
  • Frogofdoom 14 May 2020 17:46:50 17,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also the end of the demo wasnt in the caves which I guess you missed. The games wont be looking like that though but it's an excellent tech demo.
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2020 18:09:43 21,498 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Also the end of the demo wasnt in the caves which I guess you missed. The games wont be looking like that though but it's an excellent tech demo.
    I don't really believe that, once devs get fully experienced I imagine this stuff to be the norm, some of the games released right now have really pushed the abysmal hardware that's in the current consoles.
  • JYM60 14 May 2020 19:55:42 18,553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    The bit where she flew through everything at lightning speed and you couldn't really see any of the triangle detail? Meh. I'm not a graphics whore so it absolutely wasn't aimed at me anyway.
  • sport 14 May 2020 19:58:21 16,455 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I'm sure the next Uncharted game will look absolutely amazing.
    FTFY
  • thenacmacfeegle 15 May 2020 07:51:40 5 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    it looks great, the lighting and the super high polygon count landscapes and statues and such are great. they still retain a sense of videogame feel, which is also very good to me, i'm not looking for photorealism, just super detailed imagination made form~ I don't think this actually shows awfully much about the PS5's ability to stream huge spaces in instants. I mean, I know that flight looked pretty incredible at the end, but when I heard Cerny talking about open worlds being huge and highly detailed, etc, I was expecting something a little more comprehensive than a (conveniently barren) desert.

I'm very interested in what I'm going to think, looking back at this video in 10 years or something. Will it still look hawt? Or will it have aged like Half Life 2, etc... Have graphics started to reach a point where they'll pretty much forever look more or less consistently amazing from now on, or will there still be some capacity for quantum leaps in visuals? Is it gonna plateau out at some point~~
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2020 08:02:14 17,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JamboWayOh games dont look like that on a 2080ti which costs over a grand. They wont be looking like that.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2020 08:13:46
    mothercruncher wrote:
    No, but hes right in one way. Developers will continue to ram fireworks into their worlds so that marketing screenshots look great... and that means 30fps still next gen. Find that a bit depressing tbh.
    Nail on the head.

Also I think 30 would be optimisic
  • JoelStinty 15 May 2020 08:56:47 9,099 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

Be interesting when Sony does do its "E3". I'm a lot more optimistic about Sony having a lot more original IP content than Microsoft. Having said that, I wouldn't object to a Spider-Man 2.
    It will be interesting to see what they do. Horizon 2, and Demon Souls seem to be certs and Spiderman 2 looks like it will come relatively early on as well. Suspect there will be one or two new I.ps though.

Kinda get the impression that Sony want to firmly establish IP with there brand like Nintendo (Hence new intro) and it may seem that the PS5 might be front loaded with those titles.
  • DodgyPast 15 May 2020 13:08:18 9,346 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

Bloodbourne 2 please.

TBH right now I find both MS and Sony compelling, Sony for their exclusives and MS for their PC support.

Makes it much easier for me as I'll buy a PS5 and play MS games on my PC.
  • dominalien 15 May 2020 14:43:13 10,068 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And Wipeout?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.