Following PlayStation 5 Page 323

• Flying_Pig 21 Nov 2020 17:06:32 16,788 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished Astronomy earlier (including the T-Rex boss) so I'll get properly stuck into Spiderman man tonight :)
  • darrenb 21 Nov 2020 17:09:45 1,091 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Loved every second of astro playroom, so many great little touches.

Can not get on with Demon souls no matter how hard I'm trying, I can't handle not having attack mapped to face buttons. I continually use all my items when I stop telling myself yo use the shoulder buttons.

I may carry on and buy another dual shock in advance for when I throw it at the wall
  • Dombat 21 Nov 2020 17:13:38 1,868 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I like WRC9 more than Dirt Rally 2.0. There, I said it. The DualSenseís haptics, triggers and sound are really pushing the gameís immersion though.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Nov 2020 17:15:52 9,927 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darrenb wrote:
    Loved every second of astro playroom, so many great little touches.

Can not get on with Demon souls no matter how hard I'm trying, I can't handle not having attack mapped to face buttons. I continually use all my items when I stop telling myself yo use the shoulder buttons.

I may carry on and buy another dual shock in advance for when I throw it at the wall
    I felt the same when I first started it. I was really mad at it and almost didn't carry on because dammit I wanted the attacks on the face buttons! Then I realised it was I who was wrong.
  • Abarth_71 21 Nov 2020 17:17:40 19 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Abarth_71 wrote:
    @Dombat I went for the SteelSeries Arctis 7P. They're great & very comfortable. If you have an xbox as well the 7X version works on both consoles.
    Hey chap! Any movement on your ps5 order yet?
    No mate, I've DM'd all day and raised a ticket. Still no tracking number.
  • darrenb 21 Nov 2020 17:20:41 1,091 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh it's frustrating enough with select and back being the wrong way around for my Nintendo engrained brain when in any options screens 🤣🤣

I will struggle on.. maybe I'll need to chop my right thumb off..
  • Gregolution 21 Nov 2020 17:27:19 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richardiox wrote:

Can't wait for the family to get to bed. Had some terrible timing, 2 year old going through teething the same weeks I get a Series X and PS5... every half hour he's up screaming....whyyyyyyy meeeeee
    God I'm glad my kids are older now. Thanks for cheering me up while they've been doing my head in today
  • paulboy81 21 Nov 2020 17:34:29 385 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll sound like an old fart here, but whilst me and my boy thoroughly enjoyed ripping through Astro's Playroom, by the end of it I'd totally tuned out of the DualSense shenanigans, just feels like another pad again. Don't get me wrong, the haptics and triggers are definitely cool and I'd totally have them over not having them given the choice, but they're a long way off revolutionising my gaming world. The control pad itself, the premium feel and general ergonomics are what I really like about the controller.

Other quick thoughts:

- The console really looks like a dog's dinner on it's side, I'd put it vertical but don't really have the room.

- My PS5 is about One X levels of quiet I'd say, maybe a smidge louder when the fans really start working. That is of course about 20x quieter than both of my previous PS4 models, so still a huge win I'd say.

- I still have coil whine. It's especially obvious when you're diving in and out of pause menus and inventories in games, mainly because in those instances the game is obviously becoming quiet and the whine changes general frequency and level as the on-screen action is changing. It's not bad enough to consider a replacement, not yet anyway.

- The UI is very sparkly looking and nice and crisp in 4K, makes me wish Xbox would pull their finger out on this front. That said no folder function is a bit of pisser for an OCD sorter like myself, and some of the more general changes have definitely led to more button presses to achieve your goal over the PS4.
  • Pierre2k 21 Nov 2020 18:03:00 1,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my PS5 delivered yesterday, but only setup today. Some early impressions:
    - looks absolutely hideous as expected, but fits into my cabinet surprisingly well (on its side)
    - maybe I've just got lucky, but so far it really is whisper quiet (only played Astro so far though, which may not push it so hard).
    - put in the Blade Runner UHD Blu-ray to test the drive. Works a treat and no issues with drive noise or image quality.
    - Subscribed to PS+ again for the first time in a few years. Nice to see the old games are still there, and the PS+ collection is great value. Never played God of War 2018 or Days Gone for example.
    - Setup remote play to the PS4 in another room. Surprisingly decent.
    - No audio issues with the PS5 going through my LG C6 OLED and using ARC to push audio to my Soundbar and Sub.

Going against the grain on a few points though:
    - Massively underwhelmed by the DualSense playing Astro. Don't get me wrong, it's decent, and I actually found the adaptive triggers better than the haptics, but overall, not a revelation from basic rumble IMO. Definitely not a game changer.
    - A lot has been made about the UI in some reviews. All new, 4K, HDR, "feels next gen" etc. Not feeling that. Nothing wrong with the UI at all, but it's just a fairly boring, bog standard UI. Nothing exciting about it.
    - Looking at the online store trying to decide whether to get Demon's Souls or Spiderman. I knew it going in, but those £70 game prices still blow my mind.

Overall, neat machine that I'll undoubtedly have many great gaming hours with, but nothing has absolutely blown me away. I reiterate though that, in fairness, I've not played one of the showcase titles yet. Just got it downloading loads of PS+ collection titles at the moment.
  • joeymoto108 21 Nov 2020 18:06:05 741 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím having the copy disc issue... after putting my ps5 into rest mode both Sack Boy and Demons Souls have decided that they need copying from disc again. How do I resolve this? Just re-copy them?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Nov 2020 18:10:47 9,927 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @joeymoto108 Specifically don't copy them. Just put the disc in and leave it to start copying by itself.
  • StaffyDog 21 Nov 2020 18:24:04 1,666 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't wait to get some black side covers.
  • Switch-v85 21 Nov 2020 18:26:45 4,219 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some of you are hard to please, the DualSense is magnificent. I just hope developers make some effort with it as itís not used to any great effect in Miles Morales or Demonís.
  • SnackPlissken 21 Nov 2020 18:39:18 2,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    I think I like WRC9 more than Dirt Rally 2.0. There, I said it. The DualSenseís haptics, triggers and sound are really pushing the gameís immersion though.
    Agreed WRC9 is incredible with the haptics.
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 18:41:13 37,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blimey. I've just gone back to astrobot to show a mate and this time I didn't have the headphones on. The surround sound is really bloody good through an AV receiver. Really impressive
  • SolidSCB 21 Nov 2020 18:41:38 13,968 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What strikes me about WRC9 most is that it feels like it's only just scratching the surface of what's possible. I get the feeling Gran Turismo is going to be very special indeed with this pad.
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 18:45:01 220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Agreed about WRC9. Plus itís hardcore isnít it, really tough in places and requires total concentration. I love it.

Haptics growing on me, just donít think they are revolutionary though. The sounds out of the controller are a bit naff / tinny on WRC, although accurate in terms of what they are trying to be.

The feeling of speed on 60fps though, ooooh god.
  • SnackPlissken 21 Nov 2020 18:46:55 2,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WRC9 reminds me of Colin McRae. Doesnít feel overly difficult and just fun flinging the car about. I like Dirt but itís just proper brutal on a pad.
  • X201 21 Nov 2020 18:47:44 21,012 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    @joeymoto108 Specifically don't copy them. Just put the disc in and leave it to start copying by itself.
    This, I had to delete Dirt and reinstall it
  • Decks 21 Nov 2020 18:49:41 27,689 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Blimey. I've just gone back to astrobot to show a mate and this time I didn't have the headphones on. The surround sound is really bloody good through an AV receiver. Really impressive
    Yeah. Although the 3D sound is great, the surround sound and general sound quality through the speakers is so good I prefer it through the sound system over headphones at the minute.
  • Theshape80 21 Nov 2020 19:32:26 392 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have played around 14 hours worth of the PS5 now since Thursday. Only now do I need to recharge the controller. Thatís Pretty good.
  • TheyreAllDeadDave 21 Nov 2020 19:33:31 79 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Worlds wrote:
    WRC9 is giving me huge enjoyment and fun.

Anyone else with an LG OLED feel that some areas are a little dark? Or the whites are bright and darks... dark.

It looks bloody gorgeous but some tracks have the above effect.
    From my research for the C9 black levels you need low on the TV and limited on the ps5. You can try high on TV and full on ps5 but shouldn't use auto in the ps5 ever.

Edited by TheyreAllDeadDave at 19:34:24 21-11-2020
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 19:36:31 37,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Yeah. Although the 3D sound is great, the surround sound and general sound quality through the speakers is so good I prefer it through the sound system over headphones at the minute.
    Yeah, I like demon's with the headphones but am definitely going to try both headphones and normal speakers for stuff to check them both out. Really stood out on astrobot via the speakers
  • Stan546 21 Nov 2020 19:45:39 1,265 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pierre2k I've been playing God of War, and it looks absolutely fantastic. Might not be a true next gen game, but I've been amazed by it.

Would recommend if you're holding off the PS5 prices.

Also, PS Credit is cheap on shop to at the moment, reduces the £50 MM cost slightly.
  • Dombat 21 Nov 2020 19:52:01 1,868 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing Ratchet and Clank at the moment off the PS Plus Collection. Itís still a very pretty game, especially on the world with the large city.
  • Psiloc 21 Nov 2020 19:54:09 5,839 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheyreAllDeadDave wrote:
    Worlds wrote:
    WRC9 is giving me huge enjoyment and fun.

Anyone else with an LG OLED feel that some areas are a little dark? Or the whites are bright and darks... dark.

It looks bloody gorgeous but some tracks have the above effect.
    From my research for the C9 black levels you need low on the TV and limited on the ps5. You can try high on TV and full on ps5 but shouldn't use auto in the ps5 ever.
    EDIT: What I said here was wrong. Dave is right, it's easier to set the PS4 to RGB limited, your TVs black level to low (or whatever setting matches RGB limited), and then calibrate the brightness setting to that baseline.

Edited by Psiloc at 10:17:52 03-12-2020
  • monkman76 21 Nov 2020 19:57:23 17,299 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Decks Get WRC9 and tell me if I need to get it.
  • SolidSCB 21 Nov 2020 20:04:39 13,968 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would be a terrible shame if you missed the sale for it. A terrible shame indeed.....
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 20:23:08 220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah thatís true about full RGB and I also use PC mode on the TV, as recommended. Although canít see difference between that and Console.

Thereís no HDR setting in WRC9, is there? Canít find anything. Donít want to change PS5 settings as itís perfect on everything else.
  • Decks 21 Nov 2020 20:37:12 27,689 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only thing that's stopping me is that I'd still want to use the wheel. I've been very close to getting it though. I take it it's 60fps?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.