Days Gone Page 11

• SnackPlissken 5 May 2019 18:24:54 934 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had the turn to easy mode after dying 4ish times on the breaker boss. No skip this section.
  • greenmekon 5 May 2019 22:09:13 511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FussyDuck wrote:
    IronGiant wrote:
    greenmekon wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Also I agree with the comments above regarding RDR2. Sure it's a vastly better technical game with A.I blah blah, but it was boring as fuck. Days Gone is so much more fun.
    I thought I was unusual as I just cannot play it, I find it really boring and regret buying it digital :(
    Physical media FTW! :)
    QFT! I bought RDR2 on launch day for Ä55, thought it was just awful (it's possibly the most boring game I've played in years), got round to selling it at the start of April for Ä50.
    I always go physical media now :)
  • garryo'neill 6 May 2019 22:44:49 13 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Still really loving the game, think Iím about 20 hours in and have just made it to the lost lake - which is frigging beautiful btw. The open world in this game feels really special - not sure what it is but itís just so fun to poke around and get amazing shots using the photo mode. Bend should be really proud of this.

Feel like Iím waiting for the game to start and get boring like the reviews have made out but it really does get better the more time you put into it. Up there (so far) with Horizon and dare I say GOW for me.
  • StaffyDog 8 May 2019 18:31:47 1,565 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm still enjoying it very much, taking my time as only getting 1 or 2 hours a night on this but defeated my 1st horde. I kept lobbing petrol bombs and grenades then running like fuck to my bike positioned in the escape direction 😃
  • StaffyDog 8 May 2019 18:39:58 1,565 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lazy Devs though copy and pasting the survivor guy. Same silly sod every time with same silly hat and same goofy expression. Next time if it's him I'll kill him myself.
  • Derblington 10 May 2019 09:56:00 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished this last night.

The final emotional scene is a bit shit - all the parts where Deacon has to be a leader are poorly done. But the game continues after the credits have rolled. Not only do you get to play in the world and clear out the remaining hordes, there are a few main line story mission scenes that follow. The final scene is actually pretty cool.

I think I have 4 trophies remaining to get the Plat, and all are pretty simple to achieve. I'll dust those off over the weekend, ready for Rage on Tuesday.
  • richardiox 10 May 2019 10:26:25 7,646 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really want to pick this up but waiting for a couple more patches! Told myself last year I'd never buy a game at launch again. Wait 6 months, get a fully patched superior experience for half the price. And yet the more footage I see, the more I want it!

Patch culture is funny. Some titles are massively improved over time in terms of UI, performance, bugs, functioning, controls. Witcher 3 for example. But if you're a big fan of a game, chances are you'll finish it around launch and not really benefit from the fully patched 'goty' versions.
  • Blackmarsh63 10 May 2019 10:31:21 2,337 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @richardiox It's fine now.Still some minor pop-in but I doubt that can be patched out. My favourite game so far this year.
  • richardiox 10 May 2019 10:36:55 7,646 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    @richardiox It's fine now.Still some minor pop-in but I doubt that can be patched out. My favourite game so far this year.
    I know it's probably more than fine now.

Witcher 3 was fine in it's launch month too. But 6 months later it was improved in many areas... framerate drops eliminated, better UI, better controls etc. Days Gone has been so successful I fully expect Bend to be working hard on lots of tweaks and fixes.
  • Derblington 10 May 2019 11:25:58 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldn't expect the same as Witcher, that's kind of unique. This will get, and has had, bug fixes but I wouldn't expect redesigning and tweaks to existing systems.
    What you have now is 99% percent going to be what it is in 6 months, content wise.

New content is coming next month.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 10 May 2019 11:35:11 1,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd agree, but then, since getting it I've not bothered with Sekiro, DMC5, Resident Evil 2 remake...

It's the shinier game, but still.
  • richardiox 10 May 2019 11:37:35 7,646 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I wouldn't expect the same as Witcher, that's kind of unique. This will get, and has had, bug fixes but I wouldn't expect redesigning and tweaks to existing systems.
    What you have now is 99% percent going to be what it is in 6 months, content wise.

New content is coming next month.
    Not so worried about content as sounds like the game is huge. I just keep reading the Resetera thread and despite 7 patches since launch I'm still hearing about corrupted save files, hard crashes, UI issues, 4 minute loading times and big performance drops in the late game even in non taxing scenarios. Even if some of the these can be tweaked or overcome it's going to improve my experience of playing.

Got £40 Argos vouchers in my pocket so may just pick it up at lunch. The setting speaks to me above anything else really. It's this or Spiderman... Or Rage 2 next week... Or Blood and Truth PSVR at the end of the month.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 10 May 2019 11:46:34 1,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bear in mind with Argos you have a 30 day return period, so if this does get reduced in the next month, you can rebuy it and return it there
  • Derblington 10 May 2019 11:49:11 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got one crash. The initial load is long but not 4 minutes. Performance is spotty (Pro). Didn't have save or UI issues, and the other things I did get initially were fixed.

I don't think you'll get fixes for the load time or meaningful performance issues. Ultimately I also think that what you'll hear about from a crowd playing will be far worse than the individual experience.

No harm in waiting, as you say, but I think the current experience is perfectly playable if a little rough now and again.

ed: if you want polish and excellence, go Spider-man.

Edited by Derblington at 11:51:41 10-05-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 10 May 2019 11:55:09 1,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've had one occasion where my dude got well confused about a ladder, and maybe three or four times where the pic didn't match the actual weapon pick up (i.e. it was a melee weapon and the pic was an AK or a shotgun).

Performance on base PS4 seems fine to me (caveat: again, no tearing), though I'm probably not that far into it (playtime probably 15 hours, but that's possibly only 5 hours for everyone else - I do tend to fuck about in open world games). There is occasional texture delay, but I've seen far worse.
  • MrWonderstuff 10 May 2019 13:41:05 2,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    I just keep reading the Resetera
    Maybe that's the problem.

Haven't had too many issues with the game to warrant an avoidance. Still enjoying it here.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 13:41:21 10-05-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 10 May 2019 13:52:31 1,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. Stop doing that. It's like someone took all the fuckwits from neogaf and convinced them that they weren't the idiots, it was the website.
    "Herp derp, this game is shit, crashed on me again, drrrrrrp."
    Oh, look, he's had it in standby for literally months. Switching it off and on again fixed it. Well I never.
  • Bichii 10 May 2019 13:53:25 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @richardiox rage2!
  • Derblington 11 May 2019 18:26:12 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Platinum get.
  • erasr 11 May 2019 19:16:23 302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally bought it today. Traded in Sekiro and paid just £22.

So far so good. Very solid gameplay / controls, excellent graphics and sound.

Thereís some weird stuff though:
    -Too much detail on trackpad screens/missions.
    -Canít look behind on the bike?
    -Too many cutscenes breaking up gameplay.

Aside from a few little things this really feels like a mix between TLOU and Red Dead gameplay. How on earth it reviewed so poorly is strange, but a long way to go still I guess.

Edited by erasr at 19:16:36 11-05-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 11 May 2019 20:42:15 1,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Because written reviews are dying and they're desperate for clicks now, basically.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 May 2019 20:58:21 32,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Most of the reviews said it was pretty average. Which is bang on. This is the very definition of "alright".

I'm quite enjoying dipping in and out, but it's massively repetitive and the storytelling is balls.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 May 2019 21:00:16 32,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The frame rate is all over the shop too.
  • Frogofdoom 11 May 2019 21:02:09 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The gunplay looks fucking terrible as well to the point skillup stopped using them and just played the game as a melee tank. He quite liked it though but totally understands why it got panned as well.
  • Derblington 11 May 2019 21:31:44 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I doubt he actually stopped using them because I seriously doubt its possible. You'd be overrun pretty quickly, and the freakers need two hits even with upgraded melee.

The gunplay isn't terrible but the starting weaponry is a bit shit and you need the ranged upgrades and focus to make it work well. Once that's all in place you basically run around popping heads unless you're fighting hordes.

I'd score it a low 8 when all is said and done, but wouldn't argue a 7. The 5 (Gamespot) and 6.5 (IGN) that are getting all the flak are odd.
  • Frogofdoom 11 May 2019 21:33:27 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He actually had footage of him one shotting the humans enemies and charging them down while they shoot him.
  • Derblington 11 May 2019 21:42:43 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the human enemies do go down in one, and after a few health upgrades you can survive camp if you just wanted to charge it. The freakers don't work that way though - the only ones that go down in one hit are newts, and tougher ones will take a serious beating before going down (not to mention the wolves, cougars and bears).

ed: its better to put the upgrades into the ranged weaponry though, as its far more useful throughout.

Edited by Derblington at 21:45:18 11-05-2019
  • erasr 11 May 2019 22:05:47 302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finding the gunplay to be good. Very solid. The quality and bass in sound effects helps.

I imagine itíll get repetitive but Iím a sucker for good open worlds and a heavy weight feeling to gameplay, and this one is beautiful.

Whatís bugging me is the softness and low volume of speech. I canít barely hear them half the time.
  • richardiox 13 May 2019 20:27:20 7,646 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Picked this up today. Anyone who has finished it / in late game got a top 3 "wish I knew that at the start" tips? Eg best upgrades to invest in early etc
  • Your-Mother 13 May 2019 20:56:29 2,681 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Picked this up today. Anyone who has finished it / in late game got a top 3 "wish I knew that at the start" tips? Eg best upgrades to invest in early etc
    Invest in melee and stamina boosts to start with. Youíll spend most of your time in the early game sneaking or running away. Also, whenever you uncover a nest site or a bandit camp, clear it then and there (unless you have zero supplies, in which case, stock up then do it). Clearing nest sites should also be blitzkrieg - find the nests, burn them, run away. You donít need to clear up the aftermath.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.