Days Gone Page 12

• Derblington 13 May 2019 20:56:40 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Picked this up today. Anyone who has finished it / in late game got a top 3 "wish I knew that at the start" tips? Eg best upgrades to invest in early etc
    Work down the ranged weapon skills primarily. Get Focus early, and aim for the skills that improve weapon handling and accuracy. Headshot kills give you more XP (75 instead of 50) so you want to take advantage when you can as it'll all add up to get you more skills faster.
    Dip into the other trees if you want but the ranged weaponry will give you the best bang for your buck early. Don't worry about the stuff that improves cocktails at all.

Don't be too afraid of the hordes. You'll need to play smart to stay alive at first but it's worth trying to take out the small hordes (in the starting area - Cascade) as soon as you feel confident. You get a nice sidearm for taking out 4, and then decent guns as you defeat more and more (though I think the best guns come quite late, unfortunately).

Upgrade the bike as you can. Getting a larger fuel tank is really useful but there is plenty of fuel in the world. It's free at your hideout so take advantage of that (there's a pump - ride up next to it to get the circle prompt, and there's a portable bottle next to it). When you're in the field and you run low on gas and the meter goes red, fuel will become visible on the mini-map.

If you're going for the plat, loot human enemies as much as possible as there's a trophy for looting 541 items from them - it only counts if you actually take an item so make sure you're crafting everything you can so that you can replenish ingredients.

Other than that, just play as you like. You'll find the play style you like.

Edited by Derblington at 20:58:31 13-05-2019
  • richardiox 14 May 2019 13:34:22 7,646 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cheers for the tips. Did the first hour or so last night - digging it so far.
  • chrisno21 14 May 2019 13:56:20 2,160 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm enjoying it. I quite like the Ubi formula and this is no different - map full of icons to trundle between, with added fuel requirements.

It definitely has it's hooks in but it's not game of the year.
  • erasr 15 May 2019 09:11:02 302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím loving it still. It also has such a AAA feel to it.

Thereís one thing that really bugs me though and itís a big... why is the guy you save in a car the same guy, who looks exactly the same, every time? The cutscene is really Ďoffí.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 15 May 2019 14:27:17 1,651 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This has kinda become my latest goto game for when I... cba to actually play a game. It's quite therapeutic, I'm finding.

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 14:27:38 15-05-2019
  • Humperfunk 15 May 2019 14:43:34 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I must have stuck a good 25+ hours into it so far and it's easily going to finish in GotY region for me, fucking brilliant game.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 May 2019 14:54:55 24,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is on my buying games for £20 list along with about 4 other releases this year....I can wait.

Glad you boys are having such fun with it.
  • erasr 15 May 2019 15:55:02 302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hereís my theory; if this was an Xbox exclusive it would have been given 9/10.
  • JamboWayOh 15 May 2019 16:03:19 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    Oh dear. Are you 10yrs old?

Edited by JamboWayOh at 16:03:40 15-05-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 May 2019 16:44:32 32,195 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cor, I thought the KONSOLE WARZ and TEH BIAZ were long behind us.

Proper step back in time, that.
  • richardiox 15 May 2019 17:56:51 7,646 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    Fucking lol! Xbox is severely lacking in high scoring exclusives, you're talkies shite man.
  • Derblington 15 May 2019 18:01:40 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There could be some truth to it, purely by relative market comparison. The VG247 review sumarised
    While itís still slightly better than most recent Xbox One exclusives, Days Gone just isnít anywhere near the quality of the majority of PS4 first-party releases.
    It's a 7/10 in a lot of places because they're consciously comparing it to Spider-man and God of War (despite differing genres and gameplay experiences). When they aren't viable recent comparisons for your console exclusives and you're comparing it to Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 (I think these are the most recent action games?) where would it fall?

ed: though 9 might be a bit high.

Edited by Derblington at 18:04:25 15-05-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 May 2019 18:04:26 32,195 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's 7/10 in a lot of places because it's a pretty average game.
  • Your-Mother 15 May 2019 18:10:53 2,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's definitely a weird one. In some areas it's polished and accomplished. In other areas it feels distinctly budget.

But yeah, comparing it to other PS4 exclusives doesn't help. Things like cutscenes fading to black before resuming gameplay, rather than being a seamless transition like almost every other title, or the fact that the final upgrades for the bike means your top speed now outpaces texture streaming. Minor things on their own but overall make it feel much less AAA.

Edited by Your-Mother at 18:11:07 15-05-2019
  • erasr 15 May 2019 21:17:04 302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I stand by my comment. It would have scored higher. Whatís the problem with that opinion?

PS4 is rich with exclusives in this genre/style. Weíve been spoilt by Unchartered, TLOU, Spider-Man and God of War.

Itís not a console war, I donít give a sh*t about that, but I know the Xbox lacks exclusives of Sonyís quality.

Thereís a dearth of them and if this had come along, it would have gone down very well.

Edited by erasr at 21:17:23 15-05-2019
  • JamboWayOh 15 May 2019 21:24:57 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You're saying reviewers would have scored it higher due to desperation of a lack of exclusives? Riiiight....
  • richardiox 15 May 2019 21:47:51 7,646 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    I stand by my comment. It would have scored higher. Whatís the problem with that opinion?

PS4 is rich with exclusives in this genre/style. Weíve been spoilt by Unchartered, TLOU, Spider-Man and God of War.

Itís not a console war, I donít give a sh*t about that, but I know the Xbox lacks exclusives of Sonyís quality.

Thereís a dearth of them and if this had come along, it would have gone down very well.
    I get the point you're making but I don't think review scores are given relative to a particular platform. Days Gone on Xbox would be the exact same experience, with the same flaws that would bring it's review score down.
    Would a multi platform FPS game get a higher score on Switch (than other systems) due to the dearth of games in that genre?
  • Your-Mother 15 May 2019 21:56:36 2,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Itís a completely moot point anyway, it was developed by a first party studio with a ridiculous amount of history with Sony and PlayStation*. If this were made for Xbox it would have been a completely different game.

* To the extent that Days Gone is actually set in the Syphon Filter universe
  • IronGiant 16 May 2019 12:51:38 5,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Famitsu reviewers scored this 9/9/7/10

Its selling well over in Japan too.
  • MrWonderstuff 17 May 2019 13:53:14 2,926 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Had a great bit of emergent gameplay last night. Perched atop a cliff overlooking a horde I started using attracting devices and various weapons to thin them out. A puma runs up behind me, knocks me over the edge and itself overshoots ending up in the middle of the seething massases below, it runs and they give chase. I end up partway down the cliff and decide this is a good position as any to continue my attack. Closer now, the freakers realise where I am and proceed to run to the top of the cliff and eventually over the top to the fall below. Those which haven't fallen are quickly dispatched by my machine gun as they shamble to the edge. Must have been 100 or so. This is what I love about open worlds.
  • Humperfunk 17 May 2019 21:19:02 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think I'm nearing the end of the story, just done the mission where you destroy a horde with the napalm bottles, oof. What a game!

Got Monday off so hoping I can polish it off entirely by then. Not sure if I'll go for the platinum as got a ludicrous backlog as must have put in 50 hours already but has been an absolutely marvellous experience.
  • SnackPlissken 18 May 2019 17:46:18 934 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I donít like having 3 camps, and getting missions off of all 3 of them. If it was going alone, to then lost lake and doing missions to flesh out the word a bit, and having the other two as rival camps battling for resource. Itís just a little generic popping up different missions for all 3 all the time. And I think the actual main story is pretty strong for it to have more concentration.
    Maybe itís just one of the usual criticisms of open world games. Always have to have multiple people to get missions off...
  • Humperfunk 18 May 2019 19:33:32 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pro tip for the endgame, don't use any of your attractors or the bomb versions throughout the game because literally can't find any car alarms to craft new ones. On my second enforced horde and they're taking two hours at a time because you can't get close enough without being seen, and can't distract them without attractors.

Would probably be done now otherwise!
  • Derblington 18 May 2019 22:09:34 31,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didnít use that stuff for the hordes. The locations you fight at during the story all have traps and explosives littered around the environments anyway.
  • Humperfunk 19 May 2019 14:13:15 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I didnít use that stuff for the hordes. The locations you fight at during the story all have traps and explosives littered around the environments anyway.
    True, as I noticed later on, bah!

Credits are rolling right now, that was absolutely incredible. Couldn't disagree more with the "professional" reviews and couldn't agree more with the majority of player feedback and sales figures. Could pick most of the reviews apart piece by piece and wonder if they actually played the whole game.
  • splosh 19 May 2019 16:18:47 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Humperfunk Make sure to play the epilogue missions after the credits.
  • Humperfunk 19 May 2019 16:24:33 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @splosh just finished them all mate now, fantastic.
  • splosh 19 May 2019 16:26:37 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Humperfunk What did you think of the whole NERO/O'Brien thing. Could be interesting for DLC or a sequel further down the line, though Kouri going to Vegas would be good too.
  • Humperfunk 19 May 2019 22:08:38 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @splosh yeah I suspect setting up for a sequel. It's a weird one because as much as I enjoyed it, similar to games like The Last of Us I don't think it needs a sequel...and yet I will be there day one should they release one!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.