Following Days Gone Page 15

• ChiefGB 6 Aug 2019 10:06:51 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing that does grind me about it is the regular 15gb patches. Isnít it a bit excessive to be this big each and every month usually. Even though itís not online and can be played whilst dl itís a bit annoying as you kind of want to play the latest version and if you have limited time to get in or a dl cap I can imagine it frustrating some.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Aug 2019 10:12:48 15,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    One thing that does grind me about it is the regular 15gb patches. Isnít it a bit excessive to be this big each and every month usually. Even though itís not online and can be played whilst dl itís a bit annoying as you kind of want to play the latest version and if you have limited time to get in or a dl cap I can imagine it frustrating some.
    I've barely played it tbf, but wtf is it with these huge patches? Is it the way the game is made or is it 15bg of changes? It beggars belief at times and screams that this game needed waaaaay more time in development.
  • HarryPalmer 6 Aug 2019 10:41:48 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't know what these patches are doing. One thing I thought they would be able to improve was the initial load times, but nope.

2+ min load time to get to the start menu, then another 2+ minute load to get into the game? AWESOME!

I do actually want to complete the game, it has a lot going for it and it's fun, but it is comically unpolished at times.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Aug 2019 10:51:46 25,136 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy__
    Good lad ;)
  • JamboWayOh 6 Aug 2019 11:00:29 15,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @HarryPalmer

Yeah, I agree. I even had a wtf moment where I loaded into a mission and followed a NPC talking while we walked to our bikes that were directly in front of us, the game then cut to a cutscene where we got on our bikes for all of 3 seconds then cut to black while it loaded for about 30 secs.
  • ChiefGB 6 Aug 2019 11:43:48 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the load times are not ok, and I can only assume itís the way itís been coded as for patch length. Then again it doesnít take long to install them whereas destiny is usually the opposite, smallish patch that takes an age to install.

In short, ive no fucking idea 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • HarryPalmer 7 Aug 2019 09:31:46 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @HarryPalmer

Yeah, I agree. I even had a wtf moment where I loaded into a mission and followed a NPC talking while we walked to our bikes that were directly in front of us, the game then cut to a cut-scene where we got on our bikes for all of 3 seconds then cut to black while it loaded for about 30 secs.
    I think I had this mission last night! Although the game does this a lot, this was an extreme example:

-Go to mission marker, watch long-ass, boring cut-scene
    -slooowly walk to bikes (which have teleported) and listen to more boring dialogue
    -5 second long cut-scene showing nothing except us getting on bikes
    -loading screen
    -ride off from exact same spot - not even down the road, exactly the same spot
    -another boring-ass conversation all the way to the nav-point
    -walk slowly around the mission area talking about nothing
    -Repeat ad-nauseam until we're finally back where we started

This felt like it took over 30 minutes, and really all we did was talk, no combat or exploration.

This was followed by one of the garbage stealth missions that are normally easy and over quickly, but this one was so finicky that I kept getting discovered whereupon I had to repeat the whole section from the start, which includes hiding in a bush listening to more reallly long-winded, poorly written exposition for over 2 minutes, then having to slowly follow the NPCs as they spout more nonsense, all the while trying to avoid being spotted. NOT FUN.

I turned it off at this point. I can forgive glitchyness, poor writing, terrible voice-acting, samey missions, but this shit is just a waste of time.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:32:54 07-08-2019
  • Bichii 7 Aug 2019 13:14:27 2,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haha I'm still on the fence on this. Played it for maybe three hours last night and it balances between lots of fun and utter snooze. Think I'd enjoy it way way more if it wasn't open world and was a more focused linear experience. It doesn't hold up as open world. R* have ruined it for everyone except cd red.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Aug 2019 13:18:11 25,136 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @HarryPalmer
    Shame you are not enjoying, but sometimes a game is just not for you/everyone no matter what other people say about how good it is.

I'm unsure how far in I am. Certainly done a few missions and just unlocked the "brothers in arm" trophy.

Spending my time doing jobs for different camps and then destroying nests etc.

One thing I am finding is almost each time I ride to a question mark on the map the person/people I'm there to save have already been killed!
  • ChiefGB 7 Aug 2019 13:35:43 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I donít play this as an open world game, itís more like a action adventure game in a big play space.
  • HarryPalmer 7 Aug 2019 13:38:31 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was enjoying it, but I think the niggles just added up to breaking point last night! I will give it another chance. I for sure don't play it as an open world game, only done 1 or 2 side quests.
  • mothercruncher 7 Aug 2019 14:41:07 16,775 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It has all the ingredients but somehow manages to add up to less than the sum of its parts.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Aug 2019 14:55:54 32,494 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My favourite mission started with the standard boring long cutscene / conversation + slow walk to bike. I then had to ride said bike across most of the map for what felt like an eternity, only to arrive and have a conversation that literally went:

"How are you getting on?"

"I'm ok"

MISSION COMPLETE

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 14:56:06 07-08-2019
  • JamboWayOh 7 Aug 2019 15:02:12 15,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It definitely feels like it has the right ingredients but it's hampered by a behind the times mission structure and a world that while quite beautiful it just feels like window dressing as a place for you to find more supplies. For a first party Sony game it's missing that special sauce.
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2019 15:12:44 32,172 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    ... a world that while quite beautiful it just feels like window dressing as a place for you to find more supplies.
    I know what you mean here but I don't really see it as a negative. Mafia 2 was the same, and Breath of the Wild (going fully open world versus the older hub-world design).
    I see it as a system to allow freedom in gameplay structure without intentional gamification by mini-game style missions/events. It fleshes out the world via player choice of interaction instead of just dev-led artistic design, and systems like the hordes simply wouldn't work in a more linear experience.
    I also grew to really like upgrading and using the bike, and the map is a big component in making that work.

I like open-worlders in general, but I think I'm becoming more in favour of spaces that are just interactive backgrounds rather than excuses to fill that space with filler stuff.

Edited by Derblington at 15:13:49 07-08-2019
  • JamboWayOh 7 Aug 2019 15:19:24 15,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's fine but what's the point of a world that isn't really that interactive with its systems unlike BoTW where I just drive from one location to the next never feeling the need to explore because there's nothing really of value in the world apart from resources.
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2019 15:29:29 32,172 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, the survival/crafting resources are the reason. There's never a reason to just set out on a jaunt across the map to find a new location unless you want to, and if you're finding the collectibles then those locations/nests will eventually appear as icons, but that's dependent on the playstyle you prefer.

Mainly, for me, it makes the location believable and absorbing. I liked navigating it because the mechanics to do so are well done (obviously anyone that dislikes the bike won't agree), and I liked the design and narrative of the hordes.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Aug 2019 15:36:13 15,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah but other than resources then what's the point, the best open world game have better interlocking systems, storytelling through the world etc. An example of another open word with no value apart from resources is Rage 2. Days Gone is competently made don't get me wrong but like Mothercruncher says the sum of all its parts don't really add up. And for the love of God those insta fail stealth missions were ripped straight from Assassin's Creed and eventually they wised up to how bad they were as a mission type.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:36:37 07-08-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Aug 2019 15:49:06 32,494 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think that's a general issue with modern day / near future set open world games, compared to straight up fantasy or sci-fi. Morrowind and Skyrim etc work as open worlds because discovering caves with kickass flaming swords or sweet new armour makes exploration feel like an adventure worth undertaking.

A cave or hut hiding a box of nails or standard 9mm handgun just isn't the same and seems a bit pointless.
  • HarryPalmer 7 Aug 2019 15:51:02 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the 'look' of the world, but yes - there is nothing much out there. The collectibles dont really mean anything to me, not helped by the fact that when you find one you have to dig through several menus to find out what it actually is.

I fast-travel everywhere I can because I know there wont be anything interesting on the way - that's pretty damning (started doing this after about 10 hours in the world).

The hordes are brilliant and they are underused IMO. The world feels superficially like a zombie wasteland. I enjoy the combat, but honestly the sheer insanity of how the main character talks and behaves is what draws me back.
  • Bichii 7 Aug 2019 17:08:00 2,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why do I always shout at the radio man? He can't hear me.. so much of the in game dialogue is delivered wrong.
  • Bichii 7 Aug 2019 22:06:45 2,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't believe how many bugs I'm coming across considering how many patches there have been!
  • HarryPalmer 7 Aug 2019 22:13:45 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think itís actually got worse.
  • HarryPalmer 7 Aug 2019 22:16:17 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One of the updates enabled zombies to climb through windows. How is that an improvement?
  • ChiefGB 7 Aug 2019 23:40:32 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did think framerate seemed to have dropped a bit a few patches ago. Maybe I unlocked an engine upgrade at around the same time. Played a bit earlier and still really enjoyed my time in the story again for an hour or so.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Aug 2019 23:49:23 25,136 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Since Monday if I get trapped in a Bear-trap i now die. This is due to the qte not registering that I am tapping away like a loon.
  • Bichii 8 Aug 2019 18:20:03 2,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've embraced it. Loving it now. Although since the patch I can't use distraction rocks?????
  • Deleted user 8 August 2019 19:02:19
    Hoping to start this tomorrow once PS4 arrives......if it arrives.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Aug 2019 23:26:07 6,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve definitely embraced it. By far the weirdest, buggiest game Iíve ever played, or at least stuck with. Just tonight Iíve had simultaneous conversations with the same character - 1 in person 1 on the phone, main npc complaining about being hurt every 5 seconds, missions involving nothing except saying hello and goodbye, and entire buildings disappearing when I exit them. Truly astonishing.
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Aug 2019 09:39:41 25,136 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Having a little break from campaign to try some of the challenges, which are indeed a challenge at least for my meagre skills. I did just manage Bronze in the "crazy taxi" style Golf Buggy one though ;)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.