Gaming speedruns

• richarddavies 24 Apr 2019 19:20:28 6,814 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone else have any interest in speedruns? I find myself watching them quite often in my free time. The skill of some players is just boggling. Also quite interesting how some games can just get broken in the pursuit of a faster time.

Here's an example, sonic adventure. Literally every level just gets cheesed to fook.

https://www.speedrun.com/sadx/run/yl42x12m

And the world record for Sekiro at the minute is under 25 minutes!

https://www.speedrun.com/sekiro/run/yl48rdrm

I remember as a nipper when I had alot more free time I used to play the resi games daily to the point I was doing some pretty respectable times. Nothing like the wr though.
  • crashVoodoo 25 Apr 2019 01:05:10 6,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    yeah i like them. i especially like vidocs that also explain whats going on in them and why the runs are =good

• Mola_Ram 25 Apr 2019 01:20:37 21,257 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I generally make a point of watching half a dozen or so of them whenever ADGQ comes around.

Some are more enjoyable to watch than others. I respect the glitch runs and the work that goes into them, but watching someone clipping through a wall isn't exactly exciting.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Apr 2019 11:27:07 14,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Proving his username well I see.

Anyway, yeah I quite like watching speedrunnning and definitely partial to GDQ.
  • DaM 25 Apr 2019 11:40:50 17,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:

And the world record for Sekiro at the minute is under 25 minutes!

https://www.speedrun.com/sekiro/run/yl48rdrm

I've spent about 2 hours trying and failing to out of the first area....
  • Rhaegyr 25 Apr 2019 13:17:29 4,817 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite like watching the odd one, particularly the older games I played as a kid that I never got to the end of (Ghouls and Ghosts, Kid Chameleon, Contra 3, Ninja Gaiden on the NES etc).

It's nice to see levels I never got to being made fun of in the space of a few minutes!

Never thought it'd be something I'd enjoy watching. My only gripe is when the players/audience go off on tangents trying to be comedians instead of talking solely about the game. Bit unreasonable I know!
  • Fake_Blood 25 Apr 2019 13:29:04 9,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love glitch runs of the old games, amazing how broken some of them are.
  • richarddavies 25 Apr 2019 13:31:49 6,814 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ghouls and ghosts is a good example of just how skillful some of these players are. Just baffles me how they can complete it so fast. I cant even finish it to begin with, nevermind fast.
  • Alastair 25 Apr 2019 13:42:17 23,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I quite enjoy some of the Monster Hunter World speedruns - folks taking down a monster in a couple of minutes that takes me about half an hour..!
    They always have way better gear than me.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Apr 2019 15:21:28 14,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I quite like watching the odd one, particularly the older games I played as a kid that I never got to the end of (Ghouls and Ghosts, Kid Chameleon, Contra 3, Ninja Gaiden on the NES etc).

It's nice to see levels I never got to being made fun of in the space of a few minutes!

Never thought it'd be something I'd enjoy watching. My only gripe is when the players/audience go off on tangents trying to be comedians instead of talking solely about the game. Bit unreasonable I know!
    I actually like that, sometimes some of these speedrunners are like robots, the personality of a speedrunner can actually improve the run. There's one called HeyZeusHeresToast who speedrun Bloodborne and he's good at the game and entertaining.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.