Rage 2 Page 8

• Malek86 14 May 2019 19:35:40 8,578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Word around is that the gunplay is good but everything else is average. Sounds a lot like Rage, really.

This might be good in a sale or Game Pass still.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:35:59 14-05-2019
  • Addy__ 14 May 2019 19:43:16 1,092 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I really like it so far. Yes it does nothing new but the gunplay is solid and that's what I wanted. It's good fun.
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2019 19:57:10 14,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    For an enhanced console, the textures are pretty average in places and the image quality is fairly soft thanks to running at 1080 on my 4K tv. Generally it looks fine but Iíd hoped for a few more bells and whistles. No hdr is crap as well as it looks a tad washed out as a result.

No HDR? in this day and age? Booo. why is it only 1080 too? This looked like it would be crying out for that & HDR. Christ, even Doom 2016 had 4k enhancement.
    I think it's hard to get an open world game running at 4k 60fps. Doom 2016 was not open world.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2019 20:44:57 6,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, I've tried it. First thoughts:

- Gunplay is indeed good. Nice to have a Doom-style game where combat is more about movement and aggression than cover.

- Nice to have no silly 2-weapon-limit and a proper health system.

- Graphics are middling. Not bad as such, but it's well behind the current best-in-class games like Metro Exodus and Far Cry New Dawn.

- Performance seems fine. I can do 4k/ultra/60fps on The Beast.

- Voice acting is terrible. Not quite Metro Exodus levels of awful, but still bad.
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2019 20:46:30 14,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do wish this was idtech
  • Mark1412 14 May 2019 21:25:35 1,499 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agree with the general consensus. Guns really good, everything else various degrees of bad. It looks horrible and the writing... worst in class.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 14 May 2019 21:30:27 444 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm having shit loads of fun with this. Spent the last 4 hours driving around looking for upgrades etc. The guns feel great, and even the starting pistol has its uses.

The story is quite throwaway, and I must admit I dont really give a crap what they want me to do. I just jump in the phoenix and head towards the next upgrade opportunity!
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2019 21:42:57 14,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've gotta say the shooting combined with the booming sound effects is next level.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2019 21:45:31 6,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @replicant- I thought you were joking. You weren't. :(
  • Addy__ 14 May 2019 22:01:13 1,092 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Really fucking nailing that shooter itch i had. It's great fun this. Really digging it. I don't tend to pay attention to reviews but admit I expected a bland experience from what some said. They couldn't be more wrong imo. My only criticism early on is the vehicle controls are a bit shit. Like too light.
  • Bichii 14 May 2019 22:11:40 1,855 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished. :). 11 hours doing very little side stuff.

What amazed me is a basically had to complete the game using on a pistol, machine gun you get at the start and shotgun. All the other weapons you have to find and aren't on the campaign trail. WHAT.THE.FUCK!????
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2019 22:19:48 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís why youíve rinsed in 11 hours, Iíve been getting distracted clearing camps of collectibles which is doing a right job on my ocd. Itís good that theyíve got things to get you digging around but I can understand that means some will simply miss out on gameplay elements.

Personally Iím not really engaged with the game in general yet.

Edited by ChiefGB at 22:44:43 14-05-2019
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2019 22:33:08 14,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Finished. :). 11 hours doing very little side stuff.

What amazed me is a basically had to complete the game using on a pistol, machine gun you get at the start and shotgun. All the other weapons you have to find and aren't on the campaign trail. WHAT.THE.FUCK!????
    Tbh that's all on you really if you can't be arsed to go looking around.
  • Derblington 14 May 2019 22:37:11 31,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They scatter them to promote exploring the game world. You chose not to. Itís your fault.
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2019 22:56:32 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thereís absolutely tons of upgrades etc, but I can see how some find the world a bit sparsely populated.
    I find it a bit odd that one of the preorder things is an outfit yet you hardly see your character.....
    The MTís are a bit scandalous itís about £4 for a gun skin, thankfully they all seem a bit shit so far.
    Gunplay seems fine but hopefully things will open up a bit with some more upgrades, The upgrades trees are a bit over designed, you have feltrite which unlocks tiers of perks, which in turn are unlocked by specific boosters or mods depending on if itís abilities or weapons, then you have project points for the faction perks and vehicle parts for the vehicle ones. And then thereís upgrades you can buy from the doc for your core stats? Thereís a metric ton in there to work through.
  • neems 14 May 2019 22:58:26 4,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I reckon I've probably put 5 or 6 hours into this so far, and I haven't even unlocked the offensive abilities. I haven't really accomplished anything other than hooning around the post-apocalypse like a lunatic, tearing shit up and obsessively combing outposts to clear the checklist.

I keep meaning to go Ark hunting, then get distracted. Had to drag myself away in the end, got work in the morning :(
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2019 23:01:57 14,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The gunplay is definitely more than fine, it's just so meaty and loud. I must say the countless upgrade trees have destroyed my brain. It's still early doors but so far it's definitely scratched that itch for mindless gunplay. Also the shotgun. The bloody shotgun. This is getting me hyped up for Doom Eternal.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2019 23:14:12 6,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JamboWayOh This is feeling like a perfectly good game, but ultimately just a stopgap before Borderlands 3 and Doom Eternal.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 May 2019 23:34:42 32,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Enjoying this so far. Shooting is good fun.

Main gripe is with whichever fucker designed the crates to be *just* the right size to be out of reach of my first melee swing. Every. Single. Time.
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2019 23:49:56 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True
  • neems 15 May 2019 00:05:03 4,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lol spot on. It's easier to shoot them tbh.
  • griff_dai 15 May 2019 07:21:50 706 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know what to class this as....seen someone say a open world bulletstorm?

However it's an amazing game and the FPS mechanics are spot on....highly recommended
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 07:30:39 1,855 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haha yeah the crate melee thing. Haha.

I'd recommend everyone's first job is to go open the ark's. The combat is so much better once you have those abilities.

Edited by Bichii at 07:32:33 15-05-2019
  • Juz 15 May 2019 08:18:59 3,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Another endorsement from me on this. On the X I haven't had any noticeable dips, and the lack of HDR hasn't really impinged on it looking really nice on my LG OLED. It IS slightly soft, but the depth of field effects when shooting can look truly scrumptious.

I have had a couple of audio dropouts where background jabber has disappeared.

Also, I was genuinely impressed when someone kicked a grenade back at me - I know, evidently I'm easily impressed.

Overall negativity on the Internet would've meant missing out on this and Days Gone had I taken any notice of it.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 15 May 2019 08:35:49 444 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm Ark hunting more than anything at the moment.

I also have a headache after properly checking out the upgrade trees. So. Many. Choices. Gnnngghhh!!

The only thing I don't enjoy is when I can't find that 1 supply crate that I've run straight past about 20 times already before finally spotting it!

I find for the lone crate smashing problem, if you stand over it for a split second and then melee, that works more efficiently than melee attacking as you run into it. The melee on the move usually results in the complete miss!

Also really glad that the focus ability helps you spot enemies through walls. I must have spent 30 mins running around an enemy base looking for the last enemy. Turns out he had fallen down a small cliff at the side of the base and was just staring at the wall. I could hear him but the iffy sound wasn't giving me his true location!

For the tiny bugs and nuances though, it's the most fun I've had with a shooter for a long time and was well worth £28.99!
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 09:24:49 1,855 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No one forget my tip on the previous page so you don't break your game like I did.

And yeah it's my fault for not exploring the utterly dull world. I just wanted to enjoy the campaign,which meant I had to do it with the four most basic weapons. I guess that made it harder in a good way though. Some of the bosses with only pistol machine gun and shotgun were tough.
  • JamboWayOh 15 May 2019 09:59:25 14,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii reminds me of the kid at school who had 'completed it mate'.
  • Addy__ 15 May 2019 10:06:35 1,092 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I got stuck last night. First fuel depot outside the bearded blokes base. Destroy 8 tanks. I could only find 6 and I've been in every little building and hit every switch I can see.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.