Rage 2 Page 10

• neems 15 May 2019 18:32:58 4,543 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Phattso

All I can really say is it plays really well, and is deeply silly.

It is the video game equivalent of an 80's Jackie Chan movie. The story isn't great, the acting isn't great, it isn't as funny as it thinks it is - but Jackie vs Benny the Jet, 10 / 10.
  • Phattso 15 May 2019 20:13:47 24,591 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @neems sold! :-D
  • Addy__ 15 May 2019 20:24:56 528 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Best shooter I've played since Doom 2016. Really liking it a LOT!!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 21:27:08 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just did another couple of hours. Just exploration - visiting ?s on the map, a couple of Arks. Quite like it. Haven't even gone to meet the first main plot NPC yet.
  • JamboWayOh 15 May 2019 21:37:06 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what I've played it comes across as a game that respects your time and makes me feel like a badass from the off.
  • neems 15 May 2019 21:42:20 4,543 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would recommend doing the first quest for John Marshall (?) at Gunbarrel.
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2019 21:51:00 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I spent a bit more time earlier with it but itís just not entirely clicking, I still think it can change with some more abilities etc. It doesnít seem all that easy on hard and maybe thatís removing some of the ďfunĒ
  • TPReview 15 May 2019 22:08:30 1,359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just done the first few areas on the map and the mission at gunbarrel and it's not really clicking for me either. On the Xbox One X it really doesn't look great and so many effects and animations look last-gen ( like a blade stuck in someone in an early cut scene with a badly aligned fountain of blood clipping through him).

The shooting is ok but not as satisfying as Doom and the menus and quests and everything all lack that polish that Doom did so well. I think maybe my expectations were just too high after Wolfenstein and Doom, maybe this will grow on me when I unlock more skills.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 15 May 2019 22:49:08 439 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I find the shooting in this to be very satisfying.

Double jumping over a fully armoured enemy, knocking his helmet clean off with one shotgun blast, then finishing him off with a blast to his exposed melon before hitting the ground never gets old.

Only fights I find myself cheesing are the ones against the Authority towers. Finding a wall high enough to shoot over, but somehow high enough to block its barrage against me!

I feel they added the "red ring of death" (you'll know what I mean!) attack as a counter for this kind of technique, but hey, it still gets the job done until I unlock the rocket launcher hehe.
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 23:18:12 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been to the cinema twice this week. Both films had a rage 2 trailer. Who ever made the trailers did an incredible job. I did enjoy the combat but those trailers make it look incredible!!
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 23:19:45 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Best shooter I've played since Doom 2016. Really liking it a LOT!!
    Indeed although it actually made me want to okay doom instead. :). Even though I must have beaten doom three times minimum.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 23:27:35 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    HAH. I'm on the Collector's Edition (digital), so I got the BFG early. Doing one of those optional polygon-triggering mini-bosses early in the game (still not met the first main-plot NPC). Had already fought one and killed it slowly in a fairly nail-biting battle. Decided to try the BFG on the second.

1-shot kill.

That is how a BFG should be.

Big. Fucking. Gun.
  • neems 15 May 2019 23:59:54 4,543 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have unlocked the ejector seat for the Phoenix, but I have not unlocked the hover ability.

This has proven to be a bad choice on my part.
  • Addy__ 16 May 2019 00:17:56 528 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Rocket launcher is pretty cool. As is the ground stomp.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2019 00:29:50 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon thing I find annoying with the bfg is that it always defaults to the next swap weapon. This has caused a few deaths due to breaking my flow and having to faff with the manual switching. Possibly less of an issue on pc with number switching I guess.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2019 12:39:30 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Textures really are pants on the x, no idea how they fair on pc, it needs higher res ones for sure. Surely they could have been better on the enhanced consoles.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 May 2019 12:42:37 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Textures are ok on PC, but no more than that. As per my earlier post, while Prey is not a bad looking game, it isn't even close to being on a par with the likes of Metro Exodus or Far Cry New Dawn.
  • JamboWayOh 16 May 2019 12:45:52 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Textures really are pants on the x, no idea how they fair on pc, it needs higher res ones for sure. Surely they could have been better on the enhanced consoles.
    They are a bit low res, it's an odd one. Still think there should be a 4k 30fps option.
  • Frogofdoom 16 May 2019 13:17:48 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    while Prey is not a bad looking game, it isn't even close to being on a par with the likes of Metro Exodus or Far Cry New Dawn.
    It's so blurry Roguey cant even see he is playing a different game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 May 2019 13:21:47 5,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Frogofdoom Doh, twice this week I've made that mistake. All these games with four letter names confusing my simple little mind.

Just wait until Fuck and Twat come out in 2020.
  • Addy__ 16 May 2019 13:22:33 528 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I hate the travel between locations in this. No idea why but I really dislike the vehicles.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 May 2019 13:29:05 32,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first car you're given for a race may be the worst handling vehicle I've used in a game.

It's as if the concept of a car was entirely alien to the person developing it.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2019 13:54:02 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh Iím coming up to that part, have to say it is quite addictive in its own little way. Just a pleasant distraction for a bit.
    Yeah the handling of that vehicle was a little crap really, managed to win still though, just. If you miss a corner you get wiped the fuck out.

Sound mix is all over the fucking place too, especially in towns. Everything nattering over itself and canít hear the person right in front of you.

Edited by ChiefGB at 15:59:34 16-05-2019
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 16 May 2019 14:40:19 439 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Driving does feel like something to just pad the game out rather than being a necessity. It is also dog turd that the boost doesn't even feel like you're going much faster. They just use the sound and the vehicle drag to give the impression.

I assume if you can upgrade the boost there is a difference in speed?!?!
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2019 15:10:01 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dunno, I am finding the vehicle combat for less engaging than.......dare I say it.....mad max.......

I canít be arsed most of the time when something drives by me to engage (although that may get better with more weapons etc) nothing like the thunderpoon so far though.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2019 17:38:32 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok so Iíve finally had some time to stick into this on a session and itís managed to keep me playing all day so that can only be a good thing. Not going to trouble anyone goty list though I donít think, but itís decent.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 16 May 2019 17:49:36 439 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They really dropped the ball with the story but some of the npc interactions are hilarious and unnerving at the same time.

Anyone else come across Dirk Viscus and Benedict Bumfluff having an argument in Wellspring? lol

Also feels really dirty in the MB studios!!
  • Addy__ 16 May 2019 18:04:03 528 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Dunno, I am finding the vehicle combat for less engaging than.......dare I say it.....mad max.......

I canít be arsed most of the time when something drives by me to engage (although that may get better with more weapons etc) nothing like the thunderpoon so far though.
    Yeah I can honestly say it's my least favourite open world game for traversal. Thankfully the meat and taters shooting is great so it's not a deal breaker.
  • Cadence 16 May 2019 18:05:55 2,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The gunplay is fantastic in this it's just a shame they had to shoehorn it into an open world. It would be a lot better if it was a more linear, consise experience like Doom. In fact if id had made the whole thing that would have been preferable.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2019 18:08:31 10,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But they made all of the first one didnít they........

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.