Rage 2 Page 12

• Derblington 17 May 2019 09:44:46 31,611 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Rage was linear with open bits connecting the levels. You didn't spend much time in the open world. And those parts were probably the least popular. They absolutely didn't have to make this have a (large) open world.
    Even the "levels" in Rage play in loops or forward and then back. You don't just push forward through each environment.
    The open world is mostly empty and a bit shit though, yeah. I assume this game was the attempt to fix that by doing it properly using a team with experience of it. Avalanche does pretty large but sparse open worlds though, so it obviously hasn't worked that well.

ed: and there's nothing to suggest that team would have nailed the pacing of a linear action title either. It'd have to be id behind the development, which they weren't, so you may as well wish for a more accomplished openworld game instead.

Edited by Derblington at 09:57:48 17-05-2019
  • JamboWayOh 17 May 2019 10:09:15 13,130 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck it, I'm enjoying it for what it is.
  • Technoishmatt 17 May 2019 10:22:06 3,394 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really enjoyed Rage 1 for all its flaws. The shooting... and also the enemy animations were awesome. They had great mobility.

Rage 1 also had a great set of two player co-op missions.

Definitely looking forward to playing Rage 2, and I am also happy it is a shorter affair.
  • ChiefGB 17 May 2019 12:51:58 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, the issue here is the world is a little to stretched out and they havenít done enough to fill the gaps. MM did this better by making the traversal (esp car combat) that much more exciting moment to moment and the handling was great. For example you were always picking up scrap or petrol which was needed all through the game (well scrap was) so it seemed like you were ticking stuff off, even when you werenít. It all just flowed better for me.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 17 May 2019 13:04:19 439 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only way the driving gets Interesting in this game is when you try to navigate some of the "less than vehicle wide" roads going through Sekreto!

Saying that, I unlocked the flying bike last night. Now I can get to most places on the map by simply going in a straight line. I honestly don't think I'll use a car as much unless it's for the convoys!
  • Bichii 17 May 2019 13:22:47 1,691 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For me if this was linear it would have been a 9 easy..the open world bit was so shit I felt like it was a 6 overall.
  • neems 17 May 2019 13:54:24 4,547 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What they should have done was beef up the 'Rush' ability so you could use it for travelling, as it is insanely good.
  • Derblington 17 May 2019 14:00:35 31,611 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And what would it have been if the open world had semi-unique dynamic combat encounters and side missions that led you to secrets and interesting mini-locations with loot and stuff?

It's odd that Avalanche made the game but the criticism is actually the stuff that they bring to the table, rather than the stuff they've learned from a different studio. I'm really interested to play it to do a little gameplay analysis on it.
    Maybe it needed a collab with Gearbox or Bungie to really nail it?
    Avalanche's worlds are never actually that dynamic or interesting, from the games I've played - it's the tool box loop in combination with set locational assets they create that's fun. Max got criticism for bland world events too, it just fit the movie narrative a lot more closely.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 14:20:52 5,825 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Really, all it needed was some compression of the world map. Keep the same points of interest in there, but bring them closer together. Make it a bit quicker to get between them, with going on foot being a viable alternative to driving for some journeys.

That would have fixed the problem.
  • ChiefGB 17 May 2019 17:34:00 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe, but the arks need to be spaced well enough or youíd just blast through it all. I just feel they havenít quite nailed the vehicle/ isolated combat side of it. It doesnít feel right in the vehicles, You see a few cars passing by, but whatís the point chasing them? Theyíll just take you away from your waypoint and for what? Believe it or not but the enemies in max seemed to be a bit more personal, they jeered at you and called you out. It was seamless being fully third person, so you hopped out and got up close and personal with them, gritty, dirty, crunching combat, not perfect, in fact far from it but it fitted.
    Here itís like crysis or something, itís feels like two different systems, because it is, a regression of the previous game with id super soldier stuff bolted on.

I know I keep mentioning max (which clearly I still have a hard on for) but itís strange to see them take much of what worked (itís still really far from perfect) and go backwards with it, this is not balanced well at all between the two systems and so the open world stuff sticks out all the more
  • neems 17 May 2019 18:48:38 4,547 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oddly enough, in Mad Max you could drive in first person but that doesn't seem to be an option here.
  • Addy__ 17 May 2019 18:51:52 677 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Yeah I do hate the driving on this. I noticed so far I've only got 1 fast travel location. Please tell me I can unlock more?
  • JamboWayOh 17 May 2019 18:52:57 13,130 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah you can, it's based on the hub locations you visit.
  • neems 17 May 2019 18:55:16 4,547 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For what it's worth, if you don't intend to do any vehicular combat then I would recommend using the Rolla, as it is a lot nippier than the Phoenix.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 18:55:26 5,825 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't mind the driving so much - the handling feels ok to me (possibly because I'm on kb+mouse?). But I don't like the vehicular combat. The vehicle weapons feel simultaneously too easy to aim and too weedy.
  • Addy__ 17 May 2019 18:57:36 677 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    neems wrote:
    For what it's worth, if you don't intend to do any vehicular combat then I would recommend using the Rolla, as it is a lot nippier than the Phoenix.
    Yeah I'm using that more. I guess I haven't unlocked more fast travel as I've been mooching around clearing the map of arks and enemy camps.
  • ChiefGB 17 May 2019 19:01:20 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My arks seem to have dried right up, Iíve done all the first round of faction missions still have 4 weapons and 3 abilities to unlock.
    Ok, so Iíve just got the firestorm revolver, things are about to get even more fun!!!

Edited by ChiefGB at 19:05:54 17-05-2019

Edited by ChiefGB at 19:15:23 17-05-2019
  • JamboWayOh 17 May 2019 19:12:35 13,130 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    My arks seem to have dried right up, Iíve done all the first round of faction missions still have 4 weapons and 3 abilities to unlock.
    You've paid for Ark location maps from certain vendors right?
  • ChiefGB 17 May 2019 19:15:43 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes but they are no more.
  • neems 17 May 2019 19:49:18 4,547 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You know how to search for them? Use focus and look at the horizon (there seems to be a maximum range).
  • ChiefGB 17 May 2019 20:28:44 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did hear something about following trails from the sky but it doesnít appear to be obvious to spot. I shall study the horizon a little closer. Thereís still two ďareasĒ Iíve not really explored. Im guessing they are where the dlcs will magically make things appear in or maybe the final mission or so.
  • neems 17 May 2019 22:27:01 4,547 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They look like the Rainbow Bridge from Thor, like a pillar in the sky.

I now have all the weapons and abilities, still working on upgrades though.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 18 May 2019 10:25:56 439 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As I mentioned earlier, if you can't be arsed driving, the gyrocopter is a godsend. Fly in a straight line up/down any vertical surface. Just basically cuts out a lot of the tedium if your not in the mood.

Fast travel is unlocked between the 4 main towns and the MB stadium.

Also worth upgrading kvasir's offerings from his projects as you can unlock an ark/supply crate tracker that makes hunting down that seemingly non existant final crate a lot easier!

Edited by Yorkshire_Bourne at 10:26:28 18-05-2019
  • Addy__ 18 May 2019 10:36:47 677 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Yorkshire_Bourne

Not seen the gyrocopter yet. I've gone from loving the game to moving on from it last night and started Doom again instead. It's a bad habit of mine.
  • Bichii 18 May 2019 12:24:05 1,691 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    @Yorkshire_Bourne

Not seen the gyrocopter yet. I've gone from loving the game to moving on from it last night and started Doom again instead. It's a bad habit of mine.
    Haha I get you. That's exactly what I nearly did. I'm so so so so excited for doom eternal. That and cyberpunk >>>>> everything else.
  • splosh 18 May 2019 17:37:20 296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wasnít there supposed to be some Danny Dyer mode with this? Any of you chaps or chapette experienced it?
  • Phattso 18 May 2019 17:39:19 24,663 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For those that bought on PC via CDKeys or somewhere, what's the Bethesda thing like? Is it as shite as uPlay was back in the day? Is it a pain in the backside? Should I just wait for a Steam sale? :)
  • neems 18 May 2019 19:29:57 4,547 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Phattso

It's just a thing. Barebones, redeem your key, it asks you where to install it, hey presto.

Make sure you can get into it first though.
  • Phattso 18 May 2019 19:33:17 24,663 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @neems coolio, cheers.
  • Addy__ 18 May 2019 20:02:59 677 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Aye it's fine. I use an app called playnite which basically scans all your games from all clients and puts them all together in its own program. Works really well.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.