Oculus Quest Owners Club Page 24

• Deleted user 24 January 2020 23:46:08
    Played a bit of the new walking dead game. Very brutal and quite creepy, looks great.

However, it really shows up the limitation of the link, compression is very visible due to all the smoke and mist in the game, I suspect Half Life will be very similar.
  • INSOMANiAC 28 Jan 2020 16:25:44 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @AaronTurner Dont know what settings you have (Do you know you can change them in the Oculus PC app) but it looked fine to me, it looks a bit washed out which seems to be a running theme which I'm sure they'll update, and had a bit of screen door, but I wouldn't say it looks bad or that you could see the compression
  • uiruki 29 Jan 2020 09:28:43 5,252 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Audica's on the Quest store now - if you bought it on the Rift store then it's cross buy and your scores at least are cross save. Campaign progress isn't but that's not that much of a pain because it's like the Pistol Whip situation for me: compared to Link it's better in every way, even if the graphics care technically worse.

edit: Also on Link compression, if you have a Turing GPU (RTX series, GTX 16 series but not the 1650 as that still has the old NVENC block) then that's the current highest quality you can get. If you're still on a 10 series then that might help. It still does look appreciably compressed on my 2080 though.

Edited by uiruki at 09:31:08 29-01-2020
  • INSOMANiAC 30 Jan 2020 13:27:01 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @uiruki played and its ok, I imagine its a lot more satisfying on the highest difficulty. Played Pistol Whip as well and I love that, very fast paced though. Gives you quite the workout
  • INSOMANiAC 30 Jan 2020 13:27:24 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 30 January 2020 15:14:49
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @AaronTurner Dont know what settings you have (Do you know you can change them in the Oculus PC app) but it looked fine to me, it looks a bit washed out which seems to be a running theme which I'm sure they'll update, and had a bit of screen door, but I wouldn't say it looks bad or that you could see the compression
    I think the compression is extremely apparent but I assume some people notice it more than others. I know you can change the values in the diagnostics software but it doesn't make a big difference to the transparency artifacts to me.
  • uiruki 30 Jan 2020 16:45:05 5,252 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think itís just the nature of picture compression. They said they were looking at higher bitrates once things shook down a bit but itís still going to be necessarily limited by it just being video.
  • INSOMANiAC 14 Mar 2020 11:06:41 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just bit the bullet and bought Half Life Alyx for use with Link. I was kidding myself that I'd not buy it, then I'd end up buying it on launch day for 10% more.

Also Eleven: Table tennis is now out on Quest, one of the main reason I bought it in the first place. It's still a little bit rough but it remains personally my favourite VR TT game
  • JoelStinty 14 Mar 2020 11:15:14 8,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My quest arrives today \o/

One thing I hadnít considered is my dog thinking itís play time standing around in the living room.

What is casting like? Does it effect performance? Donít have a chrome cast yet but would be cool to Show of what Iím doing to family members. Though probably be through iOS for the moment.

Edited by JoelStinty at 11:15:38 14-03-2020
  • INSOMANiAC 14 Mar 2020 13:05:56 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:

One thing I hadnít considered is my dog thinking itís play time standing around in the living room.

What is casting like? Does it effect performance? Donít have a chrome cast yet but would be cool to Show of what Iím doing to family members. Though probably be through iOS for the moment.
    Good times are ahead, the casting very often switches between completely and utterly shit to just a bit shit. It doesn't affect perfomrance at all as it's baked into the system. I havent used a Chromecast but have had great trouble casting to an s10 plus with it constantly dropping connection, then it'll suddenly work fine for a while. Seems slightly better onto the iPad but again, you'll get pixellation, dropped frames and lag on whatever you're watching it on. the casting is really the only thing I find to be shite about it. Streaming to Facebook generally seems to be a bit better I find.

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 13:06:55 14-03-2020
  • Fake_Blood 14 Mar 2020 19:01:27 10,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's amazing that it does casting at all tbh, considering that it's not the best chip currently available and all the other stuff it's doing at the same time.
  • JoelStinty 14 Mar 2020 21:01:18 8,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:

Good times are ahead, the casting very often switches between completely and utterly shit to just a bit shit. It doesn't affect perfomrance at all as it's baked into the system. I havent used a Chromecast but have had great trouble casting to an s10 plus with it constantly dropping connection, then it'll suddenly work fine for a while. Seems slightly better onto the iPad but again, you'll get pixellation, dropped frames and lag on whatever you're watching it on. the casting is really the only thing I find to be shite about it. Streaming to Facebook generally seems to be a bit better I find.
    Cool will check that out and see how the quality is.

Haven't had much time to have a proper go on it, but it felt pretty comfortable for at least a small play session., Did have red rings round my face after I finished! Tried the beat sabre demo which was silky smooth, and Journey of the gods was pretty neat. Enjoyed operating the cross bow thing. Immersive mode do make my stomach and legs wobble a bit.

I had a couple of issues with charging, but I think I have solved it, does need a proper push into place to get it to charge. Worried for a moment I had a dodgy unit for a few moments.

Brought Beat Sabre, Vader and National Geographic. Going to have to clear a bit of space for the latter as it needs a 2x2 space, but should be able to do that. Looking forward to the latter and then letting my old man have an explore with it.,

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:02:48 14-03-2020
  • Fake_Blood 14 Mar 2020 21:08:47 10,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It also doesn't charge before it's cooled down a bit.
  • cov 14 Mar 2020 21:27:26 2,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Paging innuendo bot
  • cov 14 Mar 2020 21:28:43 2,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Was aimed at letting the old man explore line but actually possibly the last one too at a push

Edited by cov at 21:28:56 14-03-2020
  • JoelStinty 17 Mar 2020 12:30:37 8,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been really impressed with what I have experienced so far. Played through Vader (Eps1) which was really cool and exemplifies what makes VR really compelling. I could easily spend a game in the cockpit of a ship and just twiddling knobs (paging inneduo bot). Climbing was pretty neat.

Also played through the Antartica portion of the National geographic App. Kayaking was nice and relaxing. Climbing was so-so, kind of works, but its a bit fiddly, but overall I thought it was pretty cool. It really reminded me of Firewatch, which would be an incredible game to play this way.

As for the machine itself, its easy to set up and get around. The tech demo first steps is great, and I love the controllers. They're really comfortable and intuitive. The dance robot blew my mind to honest, when you take its hand you do feel a connection or a presence there.

The most promising thing is that the quest is only at the beginning, there is so much to build on for its future from computing power through to clarity, and hand movement recognition, but it offers so much at the same time.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Mar 2020 14:28:27 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JoelStinty It is without doubt the future of VR, I've not showed it to a single person who hasnt been impressed by it. Just beed to make sure the qality games keep coming, now all the ports have been and gone it's time to see what Oculus and other Devs will make. You really need to be getting Sidequest as well. A hell of a lot of quality games are being rejected by Oculus for the store and they're being mostly put on Sidequest for free, stuff like Crisis VRgrade are pretty good.
  • uiruki 19 Mar 2020 14:32:44 5,252 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Room (the puzzle game, not the favourite customer simulator) is our next week isnít it? Not the best timing for a VR game but Iím looking forward to it anyway.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Mar 2020 16:05:20 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @uiruki Id argue that despite the small release of Half Life, any time in the next few months is a fantastic time to be releasing VR games, but yes, they could have probably picked a better week.
  • ChrisOTR 20 Mar 2020 10:33:09 1,634 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @uiruki Yeah I'll probably pick up The Room. I was always impressed with the quality of their work on mobile and how they tried to buck the F2P trend, so I think they deserve the business.

The game looks pretty cool too and a great fit for VR!

Also, I think they're based in Guildford? Support local businesses etc!
  • ChrisOTR 20 Mar 2020 10:33:36 1,634 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    In other news, has anyone else received the "Scoreboards" app that they started rolling out over a month ago? I still haven't got it!
  • ChrisOTR 30 Mar 2020 23:36:04 1,634 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The Room VR plays really well to the strengths of VR. I was just on it for a full battery charge and only stopped due to needing to charge my Quest.

If you like puzzle games, I recommend it!
  • INSOMANiAC 31 Mar 2020 19:03:21 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ChrisOTR Ive got it, have you done the software update check, also, I might be wrong but I think you have to sign your soul over to Facebook before you're allowed to use it, by linking your accounts
  • ChrisOTR 31 Mar 2020 21:58:26 1,634 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Thanks - yeah, I'm on V15 and have signed a pact with Facebook. Weird! How long ago did you get it?
  • Baihu1983 14 May 2020 19:11:49 12,460 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tetris effect out now
  • INSOMANiAC 14 May 2020 21:52:00 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Tetris effect out now
    Excellent game, I actually prefer to play it non VR now though on PC, once youve been through the main campaign a couple of times theres not really much point but it's certainly a VR experience like no other the first few times.
  • TheSaint 14 May 2020 23:24:48 19,702 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hard to imagine playing it with the quest controllers rather than a pad. How does it work?
  • uiruki 14 May 2020 23:26:57 5,252 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hopefully it supports Bluetooth controllers - the Quest lets you sync them up under Experiments in the settings menu.
  • INSOMANiAC 15 May 2020 00:25:56 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TheSaint You can use an Xbox/Bluetooth pad
  • INSOMANiAC 15 May 2020 00:26:08 4,681 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @uiruki It does

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.