Next Last
  • Baihu1983 15 May 2020 19:15:36 12,460 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll probably get it but still hoping for an Xbox release
  • Eighthours 28 May 2020 10:07:02 713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I got one of these a week ago. Absolutely loving it so far, despite not owning a gaming PC. Coming from PSVR, the controller tracking and roomscale aspects are game-changing even before you consider how the headset being wireless just makes everything so much more convenient. As well as a lot of great games on the official store, there are so many cool little free games and experiences on Sidequest, too. I'm sorry I didn't buy one of these at the start of lockdown! Just the triumvirate of Superhot, Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are badass as fuck, but I've been having a great time getting back into table tennis with Eleven (it feels SO real), and playing tons of poker in Poker Stars VR.

So yes, it's a triumph so far and has totally rekindled my love for VR. I played on my PSVR a lot in the early days and the likes of Astrobot were god-tier, but in the end the Move tracking and the world wobbles just got to me a bit. The Quest feels like a next gen device compared, even though it isn't as powerful.
  • Fake_Blood 28 May 2020 10:24:33 10,456 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Donít worry, you couldnít get one before, they have been sold out for ages.
  • Eighthours 28 May 2020 11:09:40 713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Fake_Blood They were still sold out - I had to set up a Stockinformer email alert. Ended up having to get a 128GB model as the 64GB ones just kept going immediately before I had a chance to click on the links! Oculus have really missed a trick here, they could have sold so many more units during lockdown. They were totally unprepared, so I hope they get their pipeline up to speed soon.
  • Dr-Strangelove 28 May 2020 12:15:14 2,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anything particular to recommend on Sidequest? I've dabbled a few months ago but not much more beyond that.
  • Fake_Blood 28 May 2020 12:37:05 10,456 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eighthours wrote:
    @Fake_Blood They were still sold out - I had to set up a Stockinformer email alert. Ended up having to get a 128GB model as the 64GB ones just kept going immediately before I had a chance to click on the links! Oculus have really missed a trick here, they could have sold so many more units during lockdown. They were totally unprepared, so I hope they get their pipeline up to speed soon.
    And most people donít even know it exists, they did almost no advertising for it.
  • Eighthours 28 May 2020 17:02:25 713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dr-Strangelove wrote:
    Anything particular to recommend on Sidequest? I've dabbled a few months ago but not much more beyond that.
    A few suggestions:

Lambda1VR is the original Half-Life in VR for free (you need to buy the original game on Steam, though).

Tea For God is a nuts experiment - it's a roguelike that reads your whole playspace (ie. everything up to the Guardian), and turns it into corridors and lifts that are designed in such a way that you carry on walking and turning in real life to make your way through the game without having any locomotion controls on the touch controller. Gameplay-wise it's not amazing and tbh some of the systems are confusing, but as a proof of concept as to how roomscale VR can be made to feel 'infinite' in someone's lounge, it's astounding.

Hands Physics Lab shows off hand tracking.

Pavlov and Hyper Dash are excellent multiplayer FPS games.
  • Baihu1983 30 May 2020 17:05:38 12,460 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone tried Pro Putt?

Any good?
  • Your-Mother 30 May 2020 22:12:31 4,488 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Itís pretty good, though has a really noticeable feel-good auto-aim when youíre vaguely close. It does feel like real putting though, so better than some of the moon physics golf sims.
  • uiruki 26 Jun 2020 18:37:07 5,253 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Phantom Covert Ops (aka the tactical kayak game) came out, and it's fun! Paddling around works nicely and there's something comedic about sniping people from a boat bobbing around.
  • INSOMANiAC 27 Jun 2020 18:00:48 4,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Anyone tried Pro Putt?

Any good?
    I have played it and find it to be much better than Cloudlands 2, not that many courses though but what is there is good and it has decent controls.
  • ChrisOTR 27 Jun 2020 18:03:46 1,634 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @uiruki Nice! How are the visuals? I'm mostly using my Quest for Link at the moment.
  • uiruki 27 Jun 2020 20:31:51 5,253 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ChrisOTR Well, it looks a *lot* better on the PC but you can still see what's going on. Aside from some longish initial loading it's smooth enough so far though.
  • ChrisOTR 27 Jun 2020 21:49:17 1,634 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Cool! Sounds like a fairly reasonable compromise. I wonder if it's crossbuy, I'll check later.
  • uiruki 27 Jun 2020 21:52:17 5,253 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It absolutely is, and it's the first game I've tried where it does cross saves so it downloads the latest when you swap too. Doesn't work great through Revive so I had to plug my Quest in with Link to get it to sync properly - obviously not an issue you'll run into.
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jul 2020 07:46:35 4,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @uiruki lets be honest, it looks like an xbox 360 game on the quest. Makes me fearful of just how dodgy Walking Dead will look
  • uiruki 4 Jul 2020 10:19:01 5,253 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Xbox 360 is probably a little generous, but at least you can see what's happening.

I would have thought with Walking Dead that they would have taken a different approach and made a slightly different game that's lesser in scope, like that the Sairento devs did. Isn't it open world?
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jul 2020 22:45:30 4,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @uiruki open worldish, it has quite large open areas that you load into by getting on a boat, I would think they will keep it the same but it might load when you go into a house or something as well. We shall see
  • cjb_bjc 7 Jul 2020 23:38:44 2,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are these available anywhere on line at the moment? Trying to get one as a gift. Obviously the tracking is to notch, but how do the graphics compare to the psvr\rift?
  • uiruki 7 Jul 2020 23:47:17 5,253 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    In terms of stock, you're best off relying on one of those stock checker websites as they've been short of stock since launch.

The graphics are definitely a good bit worse than PSVR or a PC but for simpler games they're more than adequate and the complete wirelessness of it is a major, major advantage.
  • ChrisOTR 8 Jul 2020 09:55:38 1,634 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've now set myself up for wired USB3 Oculus Link (with the official cable) and Virtual Desktop wireless...

Having used both a fair bit - the quality hit of Virtual Desktop is tangible but tolerable. I use both, depending on my mood.

I played the whole of Alyx with Virtual Desktop, so it's 100% playable - but the difference in image quality is definitely noticeable.
  • frightlever 8 Jul 2020 13:35:31 1,492 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ChrisOTR wrote:
    I've now set myself up for wired USB3 Oculus Link (with the official cable) and Virtual Desktop wireless...

Having used both a fair bit - the quality hit of Virtual Desktop is tangible but tolerable. I use both, depending on my mood.

I played the whole of Alyx with Virtual Desktop, so it's 100% playable - but the difference in image quality is definitely noticeable.
    I've used a USB 3 lead and was pleasantly surprised, but mostly interested about the Virtual Desktop option for the freedom to move around.

Is the latency/lag okay? I get there might be a drop in quality but that really doesn't bother me. I'd be more worried about how "smooth" the experience was, rather than perfect fidelity.
  • ChrisOTR 9 Jul 2020 20:57:12 1,634 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @frightlever It's good and tolerable (at least for my setup, I'm sure it varies depending on your exact router etc.), but it is perceptible. 100% worth paying for it and giving it a go though.
  • INSOMANiAC 14 Jul 2020 17:15:44 4,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing quite a bit of The Room VR and the graphics and atmosphere they have created are fantastic, it has a very eerie feel to it and manages to not be as dull as these kind of games generally are to me.
  • ChrisOTR 14 Jul 2020 23:35:53 1,634 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Yeah I finished it in a couple of nights and had a great time with it.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Jul 2020 12:09:14 4,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone played 'Lies beneath'? The art style and atmosphere are fantastic, it has jump scares though which are not my cup of tea at all, I'm going plow on though because it such a good looking game. Reminds of what some would consider the glory years of polygonal graphics where people had to get creative with their styles to work around the limitations, I'd go so far as to call it one of the best looking games on the Quest
  • HoriZon 23 Jul 2020 08:03:06 14,274 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Got the link up and running and been playing Lone Echo what a game itís bloody brill got it set to max, though had some stuttering issues with resolution set to 2.0 knocking that down to 1.5 makes it go away still looks lush.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.