Following Oculus Quest Owners Club Page 28

• IJ 23 Oct 2020 23:25:18 1,004 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I got the Elite strap today and itís a huge upgrade. I watched a few reviews last night and they were positive but suggested it was only really worth it for serious VR users. But it makes a massive difference to the comfort immediately. Essential purchaser imho.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Oct 2020 21:30:39 4,715 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @IJ I would take a look on the Reddit subreddit, they are breaking at an alarming rate, even when people are being very careful with them. I suspect they're either going to get recalled or a newer model will come out.
  • IJ 24 Oct 2020 23:49:52 1,004 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @IJ I would take a look on the Reddit subreddit, they are breaking at an alarming rate, even when people are being very careful with them. I suspect they're either going to get recalled or a newer model will come out.
    Yeah I had a look a few days ago. Not sure Iím too bothered, if it gets recalled for a better iteration cool, if it breaks that easily Iíve got a years guarantee so theyíll replace it.

My downside to having one now is a bit of hassle to post it back if it breaks but more comfort until it does. My upside is if it doesnít break is a much more comfortable experience.

Edited by IJ at 23:52:46 24-10-2020
  • IJ 24 Oct 2020 23:49:53 1,004 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • IJ 25 Oct 2020 23:52:05 1,004 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Theyíve actually pulled the Elite strap from sale it seems on this issue! I wonder if itís to do with installation. I saw one review where it said it was really hard and they needed to use some force to attach it. I didnít at all, it was easy and required next to no force to replace the strap on mine. Iíve not given it more than a cursory go so maybe itíll crack under use.
  • IJ 25 Oct 2020 23:52:06 1,004 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • INSOMANiAC 26 Oct 2020 12:24:37 4,715 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @IJ It's not installation, the sides are getting cracks with use, and one of the screws in the bit you tighten also keeps coming out. It appears that it is a cheap piece of tat and I'm very glad I cancelled my battery version after they didn't have the stock day one. I would imagine they'll replace any current ones, assuming they recognise the issue and don't do a Nintendo
  • Fake_Blood 26 Oct 2020 13:35:18 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They are also unavailable on the site, they are probably going to do a recall. This and the Facebook account thing has made teh reddit very unhappy.
  • RedPanda87 26 Oct 2020 15:01:33 2,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Suddenly glad I'm still waiting for my Elite Strap order. Hopefully if/when I finally get it it will be a functional one. I would quite like the case that was part of the bundle though. Currently I don't have anywhere very good to keep my Quest 2. I guess I could cancel and order a case separately.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Oct 2020 16:11:28 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thereís also some reports of the zipper of the case coming loose.
  • ChrisOTR 26 Oct 2020 20:20:44 1,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FWIW I bought one of the original (faulty) batch of earbuds for Quest 1 and Oculus were great about it - replacement earbuds and I think 30 quid of free store credit, so I'm sure they'll come good on the elite strap thing.

Edited by ChrisOTR at 20:21:19 26-10-2020
  • INSOMANiAC 26 Oct 2020 23:42:18 4,715 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChrisOTR The earbuds that aren't compatible with their newer hardware, feels like another kick in the teeth to be honest. You'd expect a pair of relatively expensive Oculus headphones to work with their next generation of machine.
  • ChrisOTR 27 Oct 2020 00:06:52 1,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Yeah, you would. I'm not buying a Quest 2 (because Facebook) but I would be annoyed about that if I were.
  • Phattso 28 Oct 2020 06:12:38 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Soooo.... Because I lack self control I bought Alyx in the Easter sale months ago. I thought: ďthis will be the excuse I need to get the Rift CV1 set up again and get back into VR.Ē

Never happened.

A lot of that is the faff and annoyance of setting up the cameras. So Iím thinking Quest 2 could be the better solution. Any of yíall played Alyx through Oculus Link? Any down sides?

Edited by Phattso at 06:12:54 28-10-2020
  • RedPanda87 28 Oct 2020 08:17:55 2,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Soooo.... Because I lack self control I bought Alyx in the Easter sale months ago. I thought: ďthis will be the excuse I need to get the Rift CV1 set up again and get back into VR.Ē

Never happened.

A lot of that is the faff and annoyance of setting up the cameras. So Iím thinking Quest 2 could be the better solution. Any of yíall played Alyx through Oculus Link? Any down sides?
    I'm playing through it currently using Link (the official cable) on a Quest 2 and having no issues at all. I'd add that I haven't tried 'proper' wired PC VR, and also don't always notice minor performance issues in games, so my opinion might not be that useful, but I've got the settings maxed out, it looks great, and I don't feel like there's any latency or tracking issues or anything.

Edited by RedPanda87 at 08:19:37 28-10-2020
  • Phattso 28 Oct 2020 08:21:28 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fantastic - thanks for that!

My (limited) understanding is that Oculus Link basically just makes the Quest appears as a Rift to the system - so the only difference in experience should be down to the video encoding and any visual artefacts or latency introduced there. Sounds like that's minimal or non existent. Aces!

I know that technically the tracking will fall down in scenarios where the cameras literally can't see the controllers, but I think I'm OK with that. Even my old Vive lost tracking with certain contortions I managed to get myself into. :)
  • cov 28 Oct 2020 08:24:07 2,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Word of caution I am in a quest with a pc link (tho not official cable) and stuttering was so bad it was unplayable - however I haven't done a full diagnostic to figure out where the bottleneck is yet.
  • Phattso 28 Oct 2020 08:30:55 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ah, interesting. I'd have to have an unofficial cable also, as there're no USB-C ports on my mobo. :-/
  • INSOMANiAC 28 Oct 2020 09:32:51 4,715 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso Alyx worked very well for me using Link and an Anker USBC cable. I've played quite a few games using it and never had a problem. It still needs updating to allow 90hz but that patch should be coming soon.
  • RedPanda87 28 Oct 2020 10:09:55 2,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm using a USB-C adapter with the official cable, from very limited research it seemed like the only difference that should make (vs the official cable direct into a USB-C port) is that the Quest can't charge while playing (but the battery drain is tiny, because it's still drawing some power), and yeah, all fine here. I haven't noticed any stuttering at all.
  • ChrisOTR 28 Oct 2020 19:01:07 1,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Phattso I played through the whole of Alyx with Virtual Desktop + wireless tethering, loved it. No issues, a tiny bit of jitter but nothing to worry about (I'm sure Link would be just as good).

Edited by ChrisOTR at 19:02:42 28-10-2020
  • Phattso 28 Oct 2020 19:03:36 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thanks all, appreciate the info. I think what I'll do is wait for them to release the 90hz and full res Link patch and then dive in. With a bit of luck there'll be a Black Friday deal around the time the patch drops. :)
  • Fake_Blood 28 Oct 2020 21:13:25 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know itís a good deal for a fairly high res headset, but Iím a firm believer of voting with your money. And even though Iíve kickstarted Oculus, I canít give Facebook any money.
  • Phattso 28 Oct 2020 21:15:50 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, Iím just not all that engaged with that sorta stuff - saps too much energy. My Series X preorder is with Amazon, ffs. :)
  • INSOMANiAC 28 Oct 2020 23:07:16 4,715 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Thanks all, appreciate the info. I think what I'll do is wait for them to release the 90hz and full res Link patch and then dive in. With a bit of luck there'll be a Black Friday deal around the time the patch drops. :)
    I would say the chances of a price drop on the Quest 2 during black friday are approximately zero.
  • PatrickEwing 29 Oct 2020 10:22:49 2,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bugger I've wavered my fuck facebook motto and ordered one, my boys love watching youtube videoes of VR and got to admit some stuff looks a lot of fun.

I've ordered 64gb and gather it's plenty for the majority of games but thinking about the long run and bigger games should I have gone for 256gb. I've read something like Medal of Honour still requires a PC link, is that a common theme?
  • Phattso 29 Oct 2020 10:32:27 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    I would say the chances of a price drop on the Quest 2 during black friday are approximately zero.
    Maybe so - I'm not relying on it per se - but Oculus did make noises about getting the 90Hz/Full Res Link update ready in that sort of timeframe so it might all align nicely. We shall see. :)
  • HoriZon 29 Oct 2020 12:31:52 14,305 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Want to play a load of PC games but Waiting for the 90 Hz patch to come out, hope itís soon!!!!
  • RedPanda87 29 Oct 2020 12:43:11 2,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PatrickEwing wrote:
    Bugger I've wavered my fuck facebook motto and ordered one, my boys love watching youtube videoes of VR and got to admit some stuff looks a lot of fun.

I've ordered 64gb and gather it's plenty for the majority of games but thinking about the long run and bigger games should I have gone for 256gb. I've read something like Medal of Honour still requires a PC link, is that a common theme?
    Most of the higher end stuff requires a PC. The upside of that is the stuff with bigger file sizes will mostly be on your PC I guess, so you'll probably be okay with 64GB as long as you don't need billions of games installed at once. But hard to say really.
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Oct 2020 13:33:43 4,715 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Want to play a load of PC games but Waiting for the 90 Hz patch to come out, hope itís soon!!!!
    You can already enable 90hz by using sidequest, you can render a higher resolution as well. Not sure if the 90hz carries over to link though, but it works with Virtual Desktop
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.