Following Oculus Quest Owners Club Page 4

• ChrisOTR 22 May 2019 21:55:23 1,660 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Yeah, played through it this morning. I seem to be the exception, I found it pretty average! Not going to be a downer on it though as everyone else seems to love it :) Highlights for me so far have been the robot dance in the intro, Beat Saber, and Tilt Brush.

Still loads of stuff I haven't tried yet though.
  • ChrisOTR 22 May 2019 21:56:50 1,660 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Are we exchanging friend codes, by the way? It would be nice to have some people to play with/against. If you fancy it, DM me.
  • Fake_Blood 22 May 2019 22:04:30 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Showed this to my 68 yo dad, and he liked it. Just put him in the introduction demo, he fired of some rockets, and flew the blimp around for a while. Then he danced with the robot and played the shooting demo. Was great to see it all click. Only complaint was the weight of this thing, it does tend to rest on your cheek bones. Pretty convinced it could be a mainstream success.
    Thinking about getting a chromecast now for streaming to the tv. Streaming to the phone works okayish, it does cut out sometimes, but itís amazing that the 835 processor can do the tracking, run the game and encode a stream at the same time.
  • INSOMANiAC 22 May 2019 22:31:32 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChrisOTR I've not even played most of the stuff I've bought yet, been dicking around in big room and sky box mainly.
  • INSOMANiAC 22 May 2019 22:32:44 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChrisOTR there's a thread for that in this new, virtual reality section! Loads of people have added there names there. Well, it just me so far. But one day!
  • INSOMANiAC 22 May 2019 22:33:27 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Fake_Blood I'm taking it to a friend's tomorrow she's only played gearvr so I'm looking forward to seeing her reaction
  • ChrisOTR 22 May 2019 22:53:53 1,660 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Sent you a friend invite (RedRecidivist)
  • INSOMANiAC 22 May 2019 23:37:51 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChrisOTR it's not going to blow you away in the gameplay stakes but come on. When the ship flies overhead, or when Vader first appears. Those are classic VR moments! In a mobile headset! And what about the detail in the robot fella
  • INSOMANiAC 22 May 2019 23:39:07 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChrisOTR wrote:
    @INSOMANiAC Sent you a friend invite (RedRecidivist)
    I mean, you could have added you name in there so I don't look like the world's loneliest twat, but hey...
  • INSOMANiAC 23 May 2019 00:35:51 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @INSOMANiAC Indeed...Skyrim has been one of my top VR highlights.
    https://youtu.be/rpeoim4EHHo

Skyrim being played on Quest via Riftcat. Good times. Going to give it a go myself tomorrow.
  • MrWonderstuff 23 May 2019 01:48:28 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Cool stuff. Let us know how it goes.
  • INSOMANiAC 23 May 2019 01:52:54 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff Just tried it out and its not nearly as impressive as these videos make it look. They are streaming the pc screen of course, when playing in the Quest the resolution is far lower and theres drops to pixelation quite frequently. Its playable and quite impressive, but as I put on Reddit, its like watching a bad pirate DVD, you could do it if you badly wanted to see the film, but you wouldn't want to watch every film on it. I could see myself using it to play Chronos a few times but they eeed to figure out how to connect it directly to Oculus instead of going through steam, the buttons on the Vive controllers dont match the Quest for a start. It's still in beta of course but I'm not convinced the video is going to get much better.
  • ChrisOTR 23 May 2019 09:20:28 1,660 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It'll be interesting to see if Oculus try to allow tethered PC use one day. Although, no wires is so great that I don't think I'd want to go back.
  • MrWonderstuff 23 May 2019 10:44:13 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'm going to stick with my CV1 until gen 2 or even Index. I think the Quest and S show a progressive move for VR - but not enough for me to jump aboard.
  • Fake_Blood 23 May 2019 14:32:27 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spend some time last night playing the free fishing game called Bait! Itís your typical mobile style game, earn money with fish, get better gear. Just something really dumb yet soothing about sitting near the water watching your float.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2019 16:26:21
    Amazon have dispatched my quest, fuck knows why it took so long. Anyway, I'll probably have to delay the courier until next week now, not sure I'll be around the next few days haha!
  • Deleted user 24 May 2019 09:42:22
    Got my Quest, haven't played it, it's just charging and updating. The packaging is lovely and everything looks and feels slick.... apart from when you put it on your face. It's the most uncomfortable headset by a long way when comparing with the Vive and the PSVR. I would have thought this was a relatively easy thing to crack but I'm not sure how much effort oculus has put into it, and it's so important. The whole headset pushes into your checkbones, is this the case with all oculus headsets? Anyway, perhaps it's something I'll get used to but I find it a bit astonishing, PSVR has been around a long time now and really points the way forward for comfort.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 May 2019 10:56:09 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Got my Quest, haven't played it, it's just charging and updating. The packaging is lovely and everything looks and feels slick.... apart from when you put it on your face. It's the most uncomfortable headset by a long way when comparing with the Vive and the PSVR. I would have thought this was a relatively easy thing to crack but I'm not sure how much effort oculus has put into it, and it's so important. The whole headset pushes into your checkbones, is this the case with all oculus headsets? Anyway, perhaps it's something I'll get used to but I find it a bit astonishing, PSVR has been around a long time now and really points the way forward for comfort.
    You need to have the middle strap tight so the back is pulling and holding up the headset. It doesnt press on your cheeks if you adjust it properly, I was having the same issue, I had it so the back bit waant properly over the back of my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L3qAdCcOw
  • ChrisOTR 24 May 2019 11:27:14 1,660 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've been playing a lot more Beat Saber. I really want to take the time to try all the other stuff, but it's just so moreish!

Edited by ChrisOTR at 11:27:49 24-05-2019
  • INSOMANiAC 24 May 2019 11:30:26 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChrisOTR I was the same the first two days with Bigscreen, I played a bit of drop dead but that was it. Finally got around to playing Beat Saber last night, enjoyed it but a lot of the songs dont appeal to me. The sooner they figure out the custom songs the better (you can go to moonlight.xyz on the browser and play a clone with all the custome songs but theres no haptic feedback so it doesnt feel as good, but still for free its pretty amazing)
  • THFourteen 24 May 2019 11:41:46 53,839 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC

Loving beat saber personally, but then i like electronic music so its right up my street.

Only played it for an hour yesterday, really wanted to play more but had to take my headset off and wind down for 30mins before bed lol
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 24 May 2019 11:43:32 2,992 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    my oculus username is crispyxuk, wouldn't mind giving Bigscreen a whirl
  • INSOMANiAC 24 May 2019 12:04:46 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen Just had another go, I dont fully understand why it took the vr world by storm, but then I cant yet play on expert which is where I suppose where you really get a sense of satisfaction, playing on the lower levels is like easy on guitar hero. Limited fun. Need to practice.
  • Frogofdoom 24 May 2019 12:33:14 17,099 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen you can download unlimited custom songs for free on PC too th.
  • grey_matters 24 May 2019 13:06:06 5,364 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @INSOMANiAC

Loving beat saber personally, but then i like electronic music so its right up my street.

Only played it for an hour yesterday, really wanted to play more but had to take my headset off and wind down for 30mins before bed lol
    I'm not a big fan of electronic music but I think it's the best game I've played for years. I find myself absent-mindedly mumble-humming songs on the cycle in to work if I've played the night before.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2019 13:07:15
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @THFourteen Just had another go, I dont fully understand why it took the vr world by storm, but then I cant yet play on expert which is where I suppose where you really get a sense of satisfaction, playing on the lower levels is like easy on guitar hero. Limited fun. Need to practice.
    I'm not a fan either.

The guardian is waaaaaayyyyy too sensitive on this machine. It's just constantly triggering even when I'm in the middle of my play space.
  • grey_matters 24 May 2019 13:07:40 5,364 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Hard is enough for a bit of enjoyment I reckon.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 May 2019 14:09:49 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff So, I've totally changed my mind about Streaming PC games since using ALVR instead of Rifcat (And ALVR is free)

The controllers arent currently mapped properly so I played two game using the joypad, max settings. Thuper looked and sounded great, no hiccups at all and the button presses showed no kind of lag, very impressed. Play Chronos, and again, loked pretty great (Resolution was lower but you can increase that) there was occasional judder on the screen but it played perfectly and looked great. It's currently in alpha so assuming that judder gets sorted its definitely a great way to play PC VR on the Quest. Could be a game changer. Chronos even had the omni directional sound

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 14:21:24 24-05-2019
  • INSOMANiAC 24 May 2019 14:18:54 4,715 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    I'm not a fan either.

The guardian is waaaaaayyyyy too sensitive on this machine. It's just constantly triggering even when I'm in the middle of my play space.
    Theyre changing it so you can increase it using the analogue sticks, it seems to be their number one complaint so expect it fixed soon. You can turn the guardian off using dev mode, but everytime you switch apps or take the headset off you have to turn it off again currently

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 14:20:00 24-05-2019
  • ChrisOTR 24 May 2019 15:19:40 1,660 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC I really enjoy the stock music. I wouldn't listen to much of it normally, but for Beat Saber I find the upbeat/power chorus stuff fits really well.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.