Work-related problem. Advice welcome.

First Previous
  • Rodimus-Prime 12 May 2019 10:24:15 313 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hello.

First some background:

While i am a qualified private investigator (and doing better out of it than i thought i would when i took the home learning course) to make ends meet i work in an office environment 35 hours a week dealing with insurance claims.

This is shift work. Ten hour shifts, on a 'two on, two off' basis. There are eight of us who do this job, and each person has one colleague who they are teamed with and always work with.

Due to somebody leaving, the management are looking at moving the pairings, and there is a strong possibility that i will end up paired with a woman who i dislike. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to best go about avoiding this.

This particular woman fancies me. I'm not being big-headed, but she does. My colleagues who i actually like tell me about comments she makes about me when i'm not in the office, and on the occasion that i am working with her, i catch her gazing at me. Longingly.

It's also worth noting that at the Christmas party, the office manager warned her about sexual harassment when she tried to remove my jacket.

Complicating matters more, is the fact that the change to the shift pairings needs to be made imminently, but after today i am off for two weeks so won't be around to have my say. I've not already made the manager aware of how awkward this is for me because it's a weird situation, and the second time it has happened in this office, and i don't want it to seem like i'm full of myself.

My only real recourse seems to be to send an email. Or does anyone else have any ideas.

Edited by Rodimus-Prime at 10:25:04 12-05-2019
  • Frogofdoom 12 May 2019 10:33:01 13,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Burn the place down and spend the rest of your life as Rodimus PI. Sailing the world on your sex barge solving the craziest of crimes whilst writing ice cream related fiction based on your capers.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 May 2019 10:34:34 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    This definitely sounds like good material for your ice cream comic, I say let it play out
  • Addy__ 12 May 2019 10:35:10 677 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Is she fit or a munter?
  • Rodimus-Prime 12 May 2019 10:52:37 313 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    This definitely sounds like good material for your ice cream comic, I say let it play out
    Not an option. As i say, she isn't the first coworker to fall for me. The first one suffered from bipolar and went mental when she found out i had a girlfriend. I can't go through that again at work.

Frogofdoom wrote:
    Burn the place down and spend the rest of your life as Rodimus PI. Sailing the world on your sex barge solving the craziest of crimes whilst writing ice cream related fiction based on your capers.
    If i didn't need the money i would just quit and do that. Moonracer would have to be rebuilt, and i'd only really be able to sail around the local area as most of my PI work is currently related to catching benefit cheats.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to easily get another office job, but i'm actually respected by the main bosses here and as a result have influence well above my station... just not in HR matters unfortunately.

Addy__ wrote:
    Is she fit or a munter?
    I'm not attracted to her at all, but this is mostly because of her personality.

The only positive thing about her really is that she seems to have decent taste in men, but she's awful at the job, frequently takes personal calls and interjects in private conversations other staff are having even when she knows nothing about the subject matter.

No one likes her, and i know that others have already raised their concerns about having to partner with her. The difference is those people were explicitly asked... whereas i think i am seen as more passive and easygoing.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 May 2019 10:57:22 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    As i say, she isn't the first coworker to fall for me.

The only positive thing about her really is that she seems to have decent taste in men
    Just quoting so people know, Rod is a fucking stud.

Did you ever get a blimp Rod
  • fontgeeksogood 12 May 2019 10:58:33 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If you think about it, a blimp is pretty much the best PI vehicle
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 10:59:40 19,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    God I've missed you.
  • Rodimus-Prime 12 May 2019 11:08:48 313 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Those are just facts. Actual things that literally happened. I'm not trying to present myself as the Fonze or anything.

Just to relate things to gaming a bit, i think the first one took a shine to me because i was tasked with training her and she noticed i had an N7 keyring. She mentioned she was currently playing Dragon Age II, which is one of my all-time favourite games.

So i think between that, and the fact that i'm genuinely a pleasant, engaging and fun person to be around, and have amassed so much power and influence in the office, things just happened.
  • Nazo 12 May 2019 11:08:48 977 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As a PI can’t you dig up some dirt on her and get her arrested? Everyone’s guilty of something.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 11:10:32 19,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had to get rid of my Mass Effect keyring as woman kept knocking on my door and asking me to fuck them.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 May 2019 11:16:42 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Decks wrote:
    I had to get rid of my Mass Effect keyring as woman kept knocking on my door and asking me to fuck them.
    This alone surely doesn't work. You also need to be powerful at work
  • Rodimus-Prime 12 May 2019 11:17:38 313 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Decks, you wouldn't joke about that if you saw the key to my flat.

Chicks. Go. Wild.

Who am i kidding, i am the Fonze.
  • Addy__ 12 May 2019 11:18:58 677 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    Those are just facts. Actual things that literally happened. I'm not trying to present myself as the Fonze or anything.

Just to relate things to gaming a bit, i think the first one took a shine to me because i was tasked with training her and she noticed i had an N7 keyring. She mentioned she was currently playing Dragon Age II, which is one of my all-time favourite games.

So i think between that, and the fact that i'm genuinely a pleasant, engaging and fun person to be around, and have amassed so much power and influence in the office, things just happened.
    I'm guessing you have a massive cock as well?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 May 2019 11:26:15 8,667 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FHUTA obviously
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 May 2019 11:32:41 32,224 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's rare to see a thread fully deliver with just it's first post.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 May 2019 11:37:04 7,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    I'm not trying to present myself as the Fonze or anything.
    Magnum then? Not the ice cream, obvs.
  • Dirt3 12 May 2019 11:44:13 431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How does a home learning PI course actually work ?

Do they get you to hide behind the sofa or beat up a cushion or something ?

Edit : lesson 6. Creep round the garden at night dressed up in some black stuff. Lose 4 points if one of your neighbours calls the police.

Edited by Dirt3 at 11:47:48 12-05-2019
  • Baihu1983 12 May 2019 11:49:22 11,345 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What channel is this on?
  • fontgeeksogood 12 May 2019 11:53:34 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You could say all the ladies
    /revs engine
    Want Rod to investigate their privates
  • wobbly_Bob 12 May 2019 11:54:46 5,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just tell her something happened to your last partner you worked with then look into distance. It might be a good time to have a single tear streak down one cheek. Later reveal that she died. In a fire. In very mysterious circumstances... Tell her the police totally exonerated you. Well, lack of evidence to bring a case but that's the same right? Tell her you are so into her then mention you smell burning. Ask if she smells burning. At this point maybe laugh a bit and make sure it has a crazy edge to it. Every time you see her either hum "Fire starter" by the Prodigy or "Baby light my Fire" by the Doors.

She'll request a new partner. Case Solved!
  • retro74 12 May 2019 11:55:25 2,850 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smells of bullshit so much it’s probably all true

If she’s already been warned about sexually harassing you then no employer is going to partner you up with her
  • Rodimus-Prime 12 May 2019 12:02:38 313 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was led to believe that the warning was delivered in a sort of jokey way, while still being quite firm. We were all pretty wasted, and the woman who delivered the warning was filmed 'slut dropping' on the dance floor.

I'd like to believe that you're right Retro74. It is a compelling reason, but as i say, other people have been very vocal about not wanting to work with her. I'm worried that because it happened so long ago, and i've not made a big deal of how uncomfortable i am working with her, they'll just assume it's fine and put us together.

I'm working on my email at the moment. Will probably ask for advice before clicking send. Especially as i am told the last email i sent about my work-concerns made me seem like a snob.
  • Load_2.0 12 May 2019 12:07:00 29,322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

It's also worth noting that at the Christmas party, the office manager warned her about sexual harassment when she tried to remove my jacket.
    Fucking whore.
  • thelzdking 12 May 2019 12:20:41 9,353 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mustard on her anus?
  • Frogofdoom 12 May 2019 12:22:58 13,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Go full fight club, isolate yourself in a room with her. Then proceed to beat the shit out of yourself and get her sacked.
  • ZuluHero 12 May 2019 12:41:47 7,396 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I imagine Rodimus' life like a detective noir story...

'Light beams cut through the blinds into the smokey office, catching dust motes in the air. As I focus on them, marveling at them dancing in the light, I catch her looking at me. Our eyes lock for a moment, before she looks away, blushing.

"Is that a Mass Effect keyring?" she asks, her words are like silk, like the red, low cut dress that hugs her straining busom... '

Edited by ZuluHero at 12:44:07 12-05-2019
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 12:44:24 32,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd just make it clear to management. It's awkward, but still a lot less awkward than if you end up paired up with her every single working day. Put it in writing if need be, making it clear that whilst you currently aren't comfortable with the situation as is, the fact you're not actively working with her makes it manageable.

This is just me though, I have no idea how you or the management there would react so if that's not viable I'm all out of ideas.
  • Frogofdoom 12 May 2019 12:46:47 13,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bless you Fawkes, it's not real.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 May 2019 13:06:58 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You'd think a PI would be better at this
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.