Anyone generate their own electricity? (Solar panels, wind etc.) Page 3

Next Last
  • fontgeeksogood 30 May 2019 18:11:18 6,992 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think that's more the people who rent their roof out to have the solar panels put on, not if you do them for your own usage and ownership
  • Psiloc 30 May 2019 19:25:23 5,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah if the panels are owned outright then it's not a problem
  • Ryze 11 Jun 2019 22:10:29 3,690 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48530488/the-solar-power-charged-electric-cars-making-money
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 09:51:40 5,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get the feeling that only works on the island because even with barely any charge left in your car you can still reach absolutely anywhere?
  • Ryze 12 Jun 2019 11:36:16 3,690 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You'd need to charge using renewables wherever you park during the day, and have a SYSTEM that watches your usual commute mileage.

If your usual commute is a 10 mile round trip, then your battery should keep 30 miles minimum while your house uses battery power from sunset to bedtime.

If you know that you have a long journey planned - it should be in your calendar ideally, and linked to the app, but a manual override should allow the car to keep 80% battery ready for your trip.

Bear in mind that once you have a few hundred cars doing this - and add supercapacitors to the mix, you can grab power from another idle car in minutes, rather than use the grid over several hours charging at 13A-40A.

I would expect a crowd of dinosaurs to do anything they can to shoot this system down - but you know. Humans.

Edited by Ryze at 11:39:46 12-06-2019
  • DaM 12 Jun 2019 12:29:03 17,384 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I get the feeling that only works on the island because even with barely any charge left in your car you can still reach absolutely anywhere?
    Porto Santo is awesome, I recommend it to anyone. It's got sun, sand, walks, landscapes...like Tenerife, without 1 million lobster-coloured Brits. Probably like package holiday destinations were like before package holidays...

I know for these schemes being tested in the UK you will set a minimum you need, eg if you need 40% for the next day, it won't suck out more than that.
  • Fake_Blood 12 Jun 2019 13:48:23 9,729 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does static electricity count? Because I generate a lot of that.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.