Why wont you endorse the epic store?

First Previous
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 10:01:57 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    Not endorsing the Epic store but the current sale has some pretty huge discounts. Picked up Hades for £5.49 which i believe may be a pricing error.
    seriously what is everyone's problem with steam having competition?
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 May 2019 10:07:01 11,147 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a functionality and security issue for me.

I don't give a shit if games are on Steam or not.

Edit: Having said that I did use it for Metro Exodus.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 10:34:35 17-05-2019
  • dominalien 17 May 2019 10:08:00 9,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steam already has competition and Epic are just being dicks.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 10:11:23 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Steam already has competition and Epic are just being dicks.
    But how??

I can understand peoples annoyance at xbox and ps4 getting 3rd party exclusives because unless you own both consoles, you miss out. But you can have steam and epic on your computer at the same time.

The security issue i completely understand though, if that is a problem then it needs sorting ASAP.
  • dominalien 17 May 2019 10:17:39 9,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Being able to install whatever has nothing to do with Epic being dicks.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 10:19:22 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dominalien what has Epic done that makes then dicks

Ok... fornite crunch and stealing dances are both valid examples.
  • Fake_Blood 17 May 2019 10:21:23 9,682 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Because most of us already have steam origin and uplay installed and itís getting silly.
  • drhickman1983 17 May 2019 10:28:56 6,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And let's not forget battlenet and the GoG launcher :p

Security issues are a small concern, but I'd have no issues using it beyond that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 16:52:21 6,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Competition is good. I'm all for Steam having competition.

Problem is, Epic have based their approach to the market on producers, not consumers. They're offering developers and publishers a larger slice of the pie and buying exclusivity deals with golden handcuffs. But their consumer offer is pretty poor. There are security concerns and a lot of features we've taken for granted on Steam are simply missing. Plus their regional pricing disparities are awful.

This isn't feeling like real competition. It's feeling more like somebody trying to compete with the supermarkets by buying up the entire supply of bread and milk, but then making customers go to a dingy, piss-stinking rat-infested basement to buy it.
  • DangerousDave_87 17 May 2019 17:31:12 6,326 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Then don't keep your PC in a piss-stinking, rat-infested basement.
  • DrStrangelove 17 May 2019 18:20:08 14,498 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The case against Steam:

It is good if there's stronger competition for Steam because too long Valve rested on their laurels and kept a near-monopoly because its users want to use only Steam and hate installing anything else. There could be 20 other stores, they could sell the same games for 10-20% less all the time and the vast majority would still buy on Steam. Most PC game developers (especially small ones) have to sell on Steam because they're fucked if they don't. That's not fair competition.

This allowed Valve to keep up their 30% revenue share for so long. A frequent argument is that Sony and MS take similar shares too for XBox/PS games, but that's really a different thing. They sell their hardware at a loss and spend a fuckton of money on advertisement to enlarge the user base, which helps the developers. How many gaming PCs have Valve sold at a loss? How many TV/internet ads for gaming PCs have you seen that Valve paid for? They provide good servers and some decent software features but that's it.

For too long they could just grab a ton of money without spending nearly as much as some others. That's why the boss of Valve is much richer than the boss of Sony or EA or whatever. If another store threatens Steam's dominance, that may finally make them reconsider their revenue share policy, and they're already beginning to do so by lowering the share for multi-million titles.

As for security breaches, EGS has had them, but others have too, including Origin and Steam.

The case against Epic:

Of course it's great for developers/publishers if they get much more of their revenue. It's not so great for players who pay the same price for games yet get only less from the platform. EGS doesn't have forums, doesn't have cloud saves, doesn't have Steam's unfailing download speeds, doesn't even have achievements. No big picture mode, no Dualshock 4 support, I could go on but you get the idea. It's as bare bones as it gets, and it's difficult to justify asking for the same price if you provide less in almost every regard.

Then there's the exclusive thing. It's one thing if they strike an exclusivity deal for Borderlands 3, it's another thing if they suddenly grab an exclusive which was already available for pre-order on Steam. Or when a kickstarted game becomes an EGS exclusive without the backers having any say on that. That's pretty shabby.

So while I totally don't buy the Steam fanboy shite, I also see little reason to "endorse" EGS.
  • chopsen 17 May 2019 23:56:50 20,534 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    "Then there's the exclusive thing. It's one thing if they strike an exclusivity deal for Borderlands 3, it's another thing if they suddenly grab an exclusive which was already available for pre-order on Steam. Or when a kickstarted game becomes an EGS exclusive without the backers having any say on that. That's pretty shabby."

Why does any of that matter tho?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 18 May 2019 09:45:30 3,566 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So far I only have Epic freebies and my Phoenix Point backer code on the store (plus Unreal-ed which I have barely looked at as I am lazy). Metro is by far the most tempting, especially as I have an RTX too and haven't used the functionality except in 3DMark. I am tempted by a few of the super sale titles too although one I had my eye on got removed (Oxygen one by Klei).
  • DrStrangelove 18 May 2019 09:45:44 14,498 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @chopsen

People are free to dislike EGS (again, it's not a good platform) and boycott it if they want. Making a game an EGS exclusive after people paid for it is a dick move by the developers, and it's a dick move by Epic to encourage them to do so by throwing a lot of money at them. Such aggressive behaviour is part of why people dislike EGS, and at least on this I'm with them.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 09:48:08 18-05-2019
  • AaronTurner 18 May 2019 10:24:19 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The only positive thing is it looks like it may have spurred Valve into making games again.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 18 May 2019 10:38:02 3,566 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @chopsen

People are free to dislike EGS (again, it's not a good platform) and boycott it if they want. Making a game an EGS exclusive after people paid for it is a dick move by the developers, and it's a dick move by Epic to encourage them to do so by throwing a lot of money at them. Such aggressive behaviour is part of why people dislike EGS, and at least on this I'm with them.
    At least, after the backlash the backers of Phoenix Point will be getting their promised GOG (my choice) or Steam keys too.
  • AaronTurner 18 May 2019 13:22:22 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This sale they're doing sounds like an absolute cluster fuck. Have they just stuck everyone's game on sale without confirming it beforehand? Sounds like because epic are taking the hit on the price they expected everyone to simply be fine with a lowered price tag.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2019 13:31:02 6,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AaronTurner They are picking up the 10% discount cost themselves.

However, you are right that they didn't confirm beforehand. Even if Epic are picking up the price difference themselves, some developers or publishers may not want the 10% discount because of the messages it sends about sales volumes and the limitations it might impose on future discounts as part of a "long tail" strategy.

Epic done fucked this one up. Given their whole proposition is "fuck the consumer, we're the producer's friend", this is not a good look for them.

Edit: Oh fuck, I bought the top-end BL3 pre-order yesterday due to the £10 discount (yes, I am a hypocrite). The EG front-page story indicates there is currently no idea whether my pre-order will be honoured.

Edited by Rogueywon at 13:33:54 18-05-2019
  • DrStrangelove 18 May 2019 13:42:18 14,498 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I don't really know what happened there but it is really weird that devs who didn't want to partake apparently had to pull their games from the store for the duration of the sale because Epic promises $10 off on every game $15 and up.

Sounds like they're actually paying that all themselves, in this case it would be another example of unfair competition to more serious platforms like GOG by throwing Fortnite money at everyone.

Just checked, searching for "Borderlands" still yields no results. That seems really amateurish, like they have no fucking idea what they're doing.
  • Gruff 18 May 2019 13:48:19 3,465 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had multiple alerts of people trying to get into my day 1 account, hardly any such instances on Steam.

Good luck cyberperps, it's only got all the free games on it :)
  • docrob 19 May 2019 23:09:08 1,211 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @chopsen

At least, after the backlash the backers of Phoenix Point will be getting their promised GOG (amy choice) or Steam keys too.
    Iím glad to hear this.

EDIT: I forgot - when I went to register on the EGS to download the latest backer build, I discovered an account with my email existed already in Thailand. I have recovered it, but seriously, who allows you to register for an account without requiring you to confirm you control the address?

Edited by docrob at 23:15:53 19-05-2019
  • Cappy 19 May 2019 23:59:40 14,109 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why is buying exclusivity suddenly such a big deal now? PS3 owners took a much worse shafting and it was seen as okay.
  • THFourteen 20 May 2019 06:27:18 52,833 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Why is buying exclusivity suddenly such a big deal now? PS3 owners took a much worse shafting and it was seen as okay.
    This sort of thing was always seen as the realm of the console peasant and now itís seeped into the pc master race we are butthurt
  • waggy79 20 May 2019 08:11:45 2,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Try asking the PS3 owners if it was okay.

Edited by waggy79 at 08:13:02 20-05-2019
  • Thiery_Salem 21 May 2019 19:21:42 31 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Competition and exclusives is not a huge issue for me. The Store that doesn't work properly, with major security issues is!
  • JamboWayOh 21 May 2019 20:01:37 14,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I honestly didn't think there was a massive problem with Epic bringing in some competition but then I read this and I'm flabbergasted at how amateur hour the Epic and the Epic Store is.

https://kotaku.com/epic-games-store-will-block-your-account-if-you-buy-too-1834905266

They don't even have a fucking checkout basket on their store, what the everloving fuck?!

Edited by JamboWayOh at 20:02:31 21-05-2019
  • Khanivor 21 May 2019 20:14:06 44,105 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This brings back warm memories of how graciously and enthusiastically the internet welcome the Steam store into their lives.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2019 20:15:46 6,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    This brings back warm memories of how graciously and enthusiastically the internet welcome the Steam store into their lives.
    On one level, true. Steam had a lot of faults and problems in the early days. But Steam went first. They were making the mistakes that others could later learn from (and that they learned from themselves). It's almost 16 years now since Steam launched, so I think we have a right to expect new entrants to be a bit more polished.
  • Khanivor 21 May 2019 20:31:46 44,105 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh, for sure. But the format that the pudding and whining tends to take is the same infantile, entitled embarrassments from all those years ago.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.