Outer Wilds

First Previous
  • DjFlex52 5 Jun 2019 20:11:51 318 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is anyone playing this game? It seems Xbox games get no love. EG has reviewed it but none of the other prominent sites have. Now if this was on Steam, PS4 or Switch...

There are just 3 Xbox review/ratings of it on Metacritic and it was released 6 days ago.
  • mikew1985 5 Jun 2019 20:23:23 14,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was in the process of creating the thread yesterday. I'm deepish in now, I'd say loop 20 + anyway.

It's got it's hooks in me, they've built a compelling world and the systems interwork in an impressive way. Game pass is amazing.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Jun 2019 20:41:21 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried it and it's just not my thing. I'm not great with directionless games but I can see how it's a brilliant game for those that like to potter about exploring.
  • ChiefGB 5 Jun 2019 20:54:01 11,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah itís not connected with me, kept getting sucked into these vortexes and ending up lost in space after a few times I just thought fuck this.
  • atothewest 5 Jun 2019 20:54:46 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm on about loop 8 or 9 I think and honestly feel like it's one of my favourite games in years, maybe ever. It's so mysterious and imaginative and I don't want it to end.
  • Destria 5 Jun 2019 21:03:44 2,872 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Been keeping an eye on this game since playing the alpha a few years ago (ahem). Blasted through it this weekend... absolutely fantastic.

Love how the "progression" (for want of a better word) is purely about you knowing things. It's entirely possible to start a new game and blast straight to the finish if you know where to go.

Also, the translated writings that you find around the place are surprisingly well written, and feel pretty natural.

Edited by Destria at 21:04:00 05-06-2019
  • Baihu1983 5 Jun 2019 21:10:38 11,862 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah looks fun and stupid how it's getting little to no media attention
  • mikew1985 5 Jun 2019 21:18:29 14,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Yeah itís not connected with me, kept getting sucked into these vortexes and ending up lost in space after a few times I just thought fuck this.
    From brittle hollow, there's a little space station right there with some interesting bits to help unlose yourself.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jun 2019 08:48:26 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I managed to launch and enter one of the worlds and met another traveller, but felt frustrated by the controls (I'm a bit too ham fisted for delicate movements) and it wasn't clear what I was supposed to be doing. I'll probably give it another try at some stage as I sometimes don't click with games on a first try.
  • paulboy81 6 Jun 2019 17:23:53 307 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The music in this is phenomenal.

I have no idea what I'm doing yet really, but the soundtrack is reason enough to play it.
  • RedPanda87 7 Jun 2019 09:13:16 1,983 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm enjoying it a lot. It's prob my second favourite game of the year so far (following Hypnospace Outlaw).

It is also a real pain at times though. I can see why it isn't grabbing some people. Almost every planet has some sort of mechanic that has the potential to be very annoying. But they're also really interesting mechanics.

The main menu music is the best thing about it though. I could listen to that all day.
  • neilka 15 Jul 2019 17:37:41 22,946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only 11 posts on this?! It's incredible. If you have an ounce of curiosity left within your withered husk then please play it.
  • Malek86 15 Jul 2019 17:59:27 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Already on it. Judging from my ship log, I think I've made a lot of progress. Maybe even managed to find out what I'm supposed to do to finish the game. Still a few unanswered questions though. Well, I'm back to visiting Ash Twin now.

The only annoying mechanic is that, to solve a few of the puzzles, you must wait until some time passes. For example, I noticed that the only way to visit the Quantum Tower in Brittle Hollow is to wait until it collapses and enters the black hole, and then entering from space. Unfortunately, it took almost a full cycle before the tower collapsed. That was a lot of waiting.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:02:12 15-07-2019
  • monkehhh 15 Jul 2019 18:32:05 5,200 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This game is ace and everyone should play it. It's like lots of things and also pretty damn unique. Play it!
  • Malek86 17 Jul 2019 06:57:18 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OK, I need a hint. I wanted to finish without a guide, but I'm stuck and don't really now what to do next, so after several loops with no progress done, it's getting a bit frustrating.

I still don't understand how to reach the core of Ash Twin. I've found pretty much everything else. My ship log seems essentially complete, from the Eye coordinates to the Quantum Moon encounter to the advanced warp core location, but this most important bit still eludes me.

It doesn't seem like I can get through the ore shield, so maybe I should warp there? I know there are six warp receivers with only five towers - this could be important, but I'm not sure.
    It seems there are no more places to explore (aside from Hollow's Lantern, but I'm not sure I can even go there?).

Edited by Malek86 at 07:02:15 17-07-2019
  • neilka 17 Jul 2019 07:02:11 22,946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Count the towers again!
  • Malek86 17 Jul 2019 07:03:59 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @neilka yeah, I know there's an extra tower, but the last one has a broken ceiling and doesn't seem to go anywhere... unless... oh, wait. OK, maybe I got it. That's the first thing I'm trying once I'm back from work.
  • StixxUK 17 Jul 2019 07:05:05 8,256 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Annoying that this is on the Xbox game pass but not the PC one... When does the epic store timed exclusive end?
  • Malek86 17 Jul 2019 14:30:34 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, so the trick to get into Ash Twin was... strange. I still don't understand why exactly that worked.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about that warp core. From what I've noticed, I guess the sun is actually exploding because of the Interloper plunging into it, so remving the core would spell my inevitable end. Better not touch anything until I'm ready for the last trip to Dark Bramble (I swear, if those fish wake up, without any backup memory I'll be so screwed).

Edited by Malek86 at 14:31:59 17-07-2019
  • docrob 19 Jul 2019 17:22:59 1,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have gone back to this today now that I have finished The Council.

I love the vibe of the game and I am happy pottering about, but the slightly imprecise controls and the different world mechanics are quite frustrating. I often feel as if I have found places largely by accident.

Having some locations only available at certain times is a bit annoying too. What is really irritating me right now is the map telling me Ďthereís more to explore hereí and I have no way of telling whether itís because I missed something, or because the explorable bit isnít available until some other condition has been fulfilled. Thereís at least one but so far that I donít think Iíd ever have figured out without Google.

Will carry on with it for the moment anyway.
  • Malek86 19 Jul 2019 17:37:35 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suggest not following the ship log at first. Explore, and see all that you can find. I only started using the ship log after I'd run out of places that I could find on my own.

It's also better because, if you learn how the various world mechanics work first-hand, you'll be able to make the connections on your own and won't even need the ship log that much.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:37:49 19-07-2019
  • docrob 28 Jul 2019 18:10:59 1,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OMG. Iím currently trying to reach the Southern Observatory, and I am THIS close to quitting the game entirely.

First I thought I had found the route there, but it turned out I hadnít - I had just found a grav lift leading nowhere. Had to consult a guide to figure out what I was doing wrong, and it turned out the route there is in a completely different place (despite the route I was on having an actual signpost to the Observatory).

So, on the right track. Now itís just a matter of negotiating a tricky platform section. With frustratingly imprecise controls. And a gravity trick that switches off when you jump. And, oh yes, if you miss a single jump then you fall into the Black Hole and have to start again. (Start again as in restart the game, relaunch the ship, fly back to Brittle Hollow and find the right spot to land, all before you can actually attempt the plat forming section).

Itís like an unskippable cut-scene and it is driving me MENTAL. Iíve now had four unsuccessful attempts and Iím about to start my fifth. There is a lot that I love about this game, but this is just bad design.

Edited by docrob at 18:12:03 28-07-2019
  • Malek86 28 Jul 2019 18:14:21 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember that place... in the end I parked the ship very close, and jumped all the way up. It might help if you don't follow the route precisely as intended - I did some "creative" jumping by using rocks and other stuff.
  • docrob 28 Jul 2019 21:28:03 1,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OMFG. I have just realised that you donít actually have to nail the jump over the ghost matter with the gravity shift that I keep screwing up. I actually watched a YouTube video showing someone doing precisely that. However, after running across a reference to it somewhere else, Iíve just watched another video that shows you can make a much easier jump onto a side platform and then jump back to the gravity gems on the far side.

Admittedly I havenít actually tried to DO this yet, but Christ it looks a damn sight easier than the other way.
  • DakeyrasUK 29 Jul 2019 00:13:37 3,491 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not played this in a while now, last thing I remember doing was exploring brittle hollow but not really getting anywhere there... Found lots of column things for the various projection places on the surface and how warp to and from the space station. But underground I just got lost and found the signposts not very useful. Then I had to start again...

Still will be on this again as soon as thronebreaker is finished as I did enjoy the exploration and rocketeering about. But do agree with the frustration of starting again, could do with a quick save feature so if you waste a fair bit of time you don't run out of time just as you make some progress.
  • docrob 29 Jul 2019 08:45:19 1,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I made it to the Observatory, thanks to video #2!

Now I am trying to reach the Ocean Depths in Giantís Deep and it is almost as much of a pain in the arse.

I can make it below the surface, but I canít make it past the electricity. I believe I am meant to use the jellyfish, but I get electrocuted every time I go near one, no matter how I approach it.
  • triarii 29 Jul 2019 09:10:47 400 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @docrob
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but you swim up the arse of a jellyfish. Not in the space ship.
  • Some_Goats 29 Jul 2019 12:19:08 139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hugely frustrating game. For people like me who get infrequent, short gaming sessions, anyway.

With stuff like this, I just read through what happens on a website. You could say that ruins the gameplay but there really is not much of that anyway.
  • Malek86 9 Aug 2019 11:26:08 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The new patch is out, it makes some changes all around, including some extra hints on how to get tothe Ash Twin Project, and 4K resolution on X1X.

But some people are saying that the framerate is worse in 4K.
  • docrob 3 Nov 2019 11:33:06 1,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So... Iím close to the end now. Iím very much in two minds about this game though. Itís such a great idea, and I love the mystery of it and how you have to piece things together. Itís incredibly frustrating at times though - some of the puzzles require quite precise platforming, and the controls arenít quite responsive enough for it. Add in the time constraint for reaching certain areas and itís a recipe for controller-throwing, given 1. That you have to go back to the start of it goes wrong, and 2. That itís irritatingly hard to do so - I found myself frequently having to make my fuel run out and deplete my oxygen supply, just so that I could die and try again,

Also, some of the puzzle design is overly cryptic. I probably got about 75% of the way through before I got frustrated and consulted a guide, but the whole issue of quantum objects would have been enough to make me give up entirely. The idea that obstacles appear and disappear when you look away, whilst youíre trying to navigate through a maze of tunnels filling up with sand? Not fun, even if you have alluded to the idea in the messages. The idea that you have to use the drone camera to Ďfixí things in place could have been very clever, but the idea was described in such vague terms that I donít think Iíd have ever guessed that was what you had to do. As for needing to Ďfixí the quantum moon so that you can land on it...

One thing that would have been really helpful is that when you are far enough into the story to realise about the repeating time loop, if you could have been given an in-game timer so you knew how far into the loop you were. EDIT: and for the love of all thatís holy, please give us a way of marking locations.

Overall I think the game is a solid 8/10, but could have been a 10 with some tweaks. Fix the platforming, and make the path to puzzle solutions a bit less obtuse (some of the Nomai messages explain how to solve puzzles without giving away too much, but others donít).

Edited by docrob at 11:38:18 03-11-2019
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.