Outer Wilds Page 2

Next Last
  • Malek86 3 Nov 2019 12:02:46 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a way to end a loop early, but for some reason, it's not available from the start. You have to talk to the explorer on the water planet a couple times, and have him teach you.

Frankly, I thought almost all the puzzles in this game were very well designed. Never hard enough to frustrate me, anyway, and there were always enough hints to understand them on your own. If at some point I felt stuck somewhere, I'd just follow another mystery. Eventually, I'd get my answers to everything. The only exception was the Ash Twin portal, but I read that they patched in a few extra hints later.

Still not sure if my game of the year should be Outer Wilds or Pathologic 2. I guess it will depend on my mood at the time of voting.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:04:26 03-11-2019
  • docrob 3 Nov 2019 18:44:50 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Clearly you're better at this than me, then. For me there was a definite point at which the game stopped being charming and started being annoying.

Case in point (or two): this evening I tried to reach Feldspar's camp on Dark Bramble, but spent so much time trying to pin down his signal that the loop ended just as I reached him. I then decided to find his Giant's Deep camp (which I never went to earlier) and spent a fruitless 10 minutes or so trying to get my ship inside the island. (You can't jetpack over because the gravity is too high). This just isn't fun.
  • Malek86 3 Nov 2019 19:08:28 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I get why it would be frustrating for some. The spaceship can be tricky to pilot. I started enjoying the game once I learned how to pilot well enough, because at that point I wasn't wasting any time on trying to get where I wanted.
  • docrob 1 Dec 2019 18:17:10 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dark Bramble can seriously piss off. I have now found Feldspar and been to the Vessel. Navigating around in here, though, is so painfully slow due to the need to avoid Anglerfish that by the time I get where I need to be, I have hardly any time left, and the trip back is very tedious indeed.

I haven't been to Ash Twin Project yet. Once you've been there, do you have to get the Warp Core, the coordinates from Giant's Deep, AND get to the Vessel all within one loop? I really hope not, because that would be asking me to repeat all my least favourite bits in the same cycle (could only be worsened by including the platforming section in Brittle Hollow). If there is no alternative to doing all three tasks in one loop, I may just watch a video of the ending.

Edited by docrob at 18:17:25 01-12-2019
  • Malek86 1 Dec 2019 18:36:35 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You don't need the coordinates (as long as you got them in a previous run, your HUD will show them again when it's time to punch the code), but you are right on the other two.

I went to the Dark Bramble a couple times as a test run, so to speak, before attempting to take the Warp core there. It helped a lot. Avoiding the anglerfish becomes a lot easier once you understand the correct path and the right method to keep them asleep.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:37:03 01-12-2019
  • docrob 5 Dec 2019 18:53:32 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím delighted to report that I completed the game today, with what I think is the Ďgoodí ending (the entire band playing together).

I thought the final loop was going to be a lot tougher to manage than it was. I only needed two goes at it (had an issue with the puzzle first time and ran out of time - second time round Iíd actually already heard the bang and beat the clock by seconds!)

The end sequence was lovely. Glad I visited all of the band members.

Thinking back on the game, itís not that the puzzles were too tough (though there were some I did seek out some hints for as I was getting frustrated with the game by that stage). What annoyed me was the parts when you were against the clock. It took me ages to reach the High Energy Lab due to the route filling with sand so quickly. I also found Dark Bramble really annoying (though it does get a lot easier once youíve flown through it half a dozen times). I donít mind a puzzle that takes me a while to work out, but when you have to go back to the start of the cycle and repeat all your previous actions, itís like an unskippable cut-scene and it stops being fun.

Overall though, this gets a ĎRecommendedí from me and would have got ĎEssentialí were it not for the aforementioned issues. (Still wouldnít be my GotY though, which is The Return of the Obra Dinn by an absolute mile).

EDIT: one really annoying thing I noticed was that the coordinates popped up on my screen on my first run at the end sequence, but not on the second run. Not sure whether this is because you die Ďproperlyí after you remove the Ash Twin Warp Core? Fortunately I had the correct sequences noted down.

Edited by docrob at 18:56:52 05-12-2019
  • Malek86 5 Dec 2019 19:38:19 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure Obra Dinn was a 2018 game? Unless you are talking about the console versions.

This could easily be my game of the year, but it just so happens that Pathologic 2 also came out this year and overall I feel that it edges it out, if just barely.
  • docrob 5 Dec 2019 23:24:07 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Obra Dinn was a 2018 game? Unless you are talking about the console versions.

This could easily be my game of the year, but it just so happens that Pathologic 2 also came out this year and overall I feel that it edges it out, if just barely.
    Damn, you may be right. I thought it was early 2019, but that may just be because I bought it this year.
  • Bichii 10 Jan 2020 18:21:23 2,222 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh well this is rather special isn't it! Spent a good few hours on it today and I didn't want to put it down.
  • HairyArse 10 Jan 2020 18:34:04 1,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have you got an Xbox again?
  • Bichii 10 Jan 2020 18:48:56 2,222 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's on PS4 now. Think it came out the end of October but I've been playing through a few other games first.
  • HairyArse 10 Jan 2020 19:02:22 1,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aaaah. I thought youíd come back over to the dark side.

Iíve played 3/4 hours of this and still havenít encountered whatever it is that makes everyone say itís so amazing. So far itís just clumsy controls and difficult-to-navigate environments but I will persevere and see if I can see the magic.
  • schoozzzmmii 10 Jan 2020 19:30:02 66 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @HairyArse That's where I'm at. Going to plough through for a bit at least.
  • Bichii 10 Jan 2020 19:54:12 2,222 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Straight away the first place I landed I found certain thing that linked to something else that links to etc. Maybe I got lucky and from the off I had something to go for.
  • ChiefGB 11 Jan 2020 11:34:49 11,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I didnít really click with this either, kept falling into a black hole at a particular point as the controls were too clumsy. It was nice but couldnít be arsed and just didnít see where all those ďgotyĒ opinions were coming from. Being gamepass as well I just moved on to the next thing.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Jan 2020 12:07:53 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I can see why others loved it but it just wasnt for me.
  • docrob 11 Jan 2020 16:59:54 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Itís quirky and not for everyone, I think. It suits those of an inquisitive nature who like to poke about in places and find things out. The controls are a bit fiddly, but you get used to them. Thereís only a few annoying bits that need precise control.
  • Bichii 12 Jan 2020 07:19:13 2,222 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got in about 2230 last night so I thought I'd just do two runs before bed. So 40 odd minutes. Turned it off at 01:30!! Always one more discovery that links to something I'd found earlier. So so good. :).
  • pacrifice 12 Jan 2020 08:32:32 5,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mod please correct thread title to 'The Outer Worlds'.
  • Munster 12 Jan 2020 08:39:34 72 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:
    Mod please correct thread title to 'The Outer Worlds'.
    Except it's not that game......
  • neilka 12 Jan 2020 15:05:46 22,946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mods please correct user pacrifice's username to "EnormousDolt"
  • pacrifice 12 Jan 2020 15:09:00 5,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whoops. Didn't think this was a game. Thought it was meant to be for Outer Worlds.
  • docrob 12 Jan 2020 18:01:58 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:
    Whoops. Didn't think this was a game. Thought it was meant to be for Outer Worlds.
    EG made it their game of the year :D
  • pacrifice 12 Jan 2020 19:31:33 5,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, well, it's important to somebody then.
  • MadCaddy13 14 Jan 2020 07:58:02 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím enjoying the game but I feel Iím not doing much other than collecting ship logs. Iím not collecting anything. Am I doing it wrong? Have a massive branch of info in my ship (been on it for about 8-10 hours) but no Ďitemsí

Edited by MadCaddy13 at 07:58:24 14-01-2020
  • Gl3n Moderator 14 Jan 2020 08:07:38 6,704 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Iím enjoying the game but I feel Iím not doing much other than collecting ship logs. Iím not collecting anything. Am I doing it wrong? Have a massive branch of info in my ship (been on it for about 8-10 hours) but no Ďitemsí
    Collecting ship logs is kind of the game, its your memory between loops. Using the logs, you can figure out the various mysteries and inform your next steps. I'm close to the end and items haven't really been a factor.
  • MadCaddy13 14 Jan 2020 08:26:56 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok cheers, still have 1 or 2 planets to visit too I think so Iíll take my time. Canít help but want to rush though what with the time loop n all!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.