Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I couldn't resist looking
  • Rodderz 1 Mar 2021 20:57:14 4,455 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It really does look like 'more Souls', but with a different name. That's not a criticism from me btw, even if some will be disappointed. I'm sure there'll be some interesting new features amongst the familiar ones, like the horseriding and mounted combat.

I think the direction From were taking this game has been previously mentioned by them already anyway, but finally seeing it in the leaked footage just shows they've definitely made headway in making it a reality.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Mar 2021 21:04:53 30,529 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodderz wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It really does look like 'more Souls', but with a different name. That's not a criticism from me btw, even if some will be disappointed. I'm sure there'll be some interesting new features amongst the familiar ones, like the horseriding and mounted combat.

I think the direction From were taking this game has been previously mentioned by them already anyway, but finally seeing it in the leaked footage just shows they've definitely made headway in making it a reality.
    Yeah, looks utterly fine by me.
  • ZuluHero 1 Mar 2021 22:09:39 10,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I peeked as well, looks really good, happy with the souls aesthetic.

I really hope it's not as hard as Sekiro, or at least has an rpg stat system so you can over-level the spikes...

Edited by ZuluHero at 22:11:47 01-03-2021
  • Bichii 1 Mar 2021 22:27:46 4,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only negative from the leaked footage for me is it leans too much on dark souls with the animations and the feel. I would have hoped for more of a departure. Sekiro felt like a from software game but nothing like dark souls at all. It's a totally different beast with a combat system with very little in common with dark souls. Anyway it's day one and almost definitely a 10/10 game.
  • Nanocrystal 1 Mar 2021 22:48:05 2,473 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks great. I'm always down for more Souls. Sekiro did feel different, and I didn't like it! I'm sure it will have plenty of new elements/mechanics to freshen things up.
  • sport 1 Mar 2021 23:49:07 16,927 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can tell it was captured on George's phone.
  • Zerobob 2 Mar 2021 08:39:16 2,962 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It doesn't look like it's for me.

Why is there nothing that can fill that Skyrim-shaped hole in my life?

After the wildly successful Skyrim and The Witcher 3, it's like publishers asked "ahh yes... but do people really like open world fantasy RPGs?"
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Mar 2021 09:20:17 40,623 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Have you tried Dragon‘s Dogma? It seems to be a bit divisive, but those who love it love it properly. I only own it on 3 platforms..,
  • wuntyate 2 Mar 2021 10:20:41 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It really just looks like Dark Souls 4.

Which is fine.
  • Rogueywon 2 Mar 2021 10:22:31 11,963 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The more Souls this is and the less Sekiro the better, as far as I'm concerned. Sekiro has kinda shaken my confidence in From Software, so I'm slightly apprehensive about this.
  • sport 2 Mar 2021 10:38:43 16,927 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I never thought I'd say this, but I actually hope they try something compltely new. Soulsbourne genre was very tweenies - it's time to move on.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Mar 2021 10:39:31 40,623 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I liked Sekiro well enough, it was too difficult for me though, with no way to soften it by grinding. I fear they might be in a spiral where they feel they need to make each game harder than the next. I find Nioh 2 and the Demon's remaster so much more pleasant to play than Sekiro, which I abandoned because it was just too punishing.
  • muddyyfunster 2 Mar 2021 10:58:39 1,131 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mechanically, it looks exactly like more Souls which I suppose is mildly disappointing in that it's unsurprising.

Fundamentally I'm hoping it skews more towards a more traditional medieval European fantasy than Lovecraftian horror. I had thought that might be the point of getting Martin onboard. Westeros/Middle Earth/Tamriel adjacent would be good.

Every soul's game seems to have a mandatory 'oh FFS, this again' section. By which I mean, the really dark jump scare level, everything is poisonous/plague ridden/toxic, things scream at you and it's all an unpleasant anxiety-driven slog (Valley of Defilement, Blight town, Black Gulch being the epitome of this). Don't do that again please.

Admittedly, I'm a massive coward, but I don't play Souls games to be scared. I did complete Bloodbourne but it was never a world I enjoyed spending time in. A bit brighter and more colourful would be nice. World 1 from Demons remake showed how good this could be.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 10:59:37 02-03-2021
  • Rhaegyr 2 Mar 2021 10:59:48 5,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A bit disappointing they're going back to the Souls template from the looks of it.

As much as I love Souls and Bloodborne I'm one of the few who feel Sekiro is the best thing FROM have done, certainly from a gameplay perspective.
  • Bichii 2 Mar 2021 11:34:40 4,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    As much as I love Souls and Bloodborne I'm one of the few who feel Sekiro is the best thing FROM have done, certainly from a gameplay perspective.
    That is because you are a man of exquisite taste.
    No idea how anyone can argue dark souls has better combat/gameplay. Of course one could argue their opinion that dark souls is a better game. I imagine though the dark souls combat is probably easier to implement over a new open world experience. Especially as it is billed as Rpg heavy and so there is a much higher degree of customisation that affects the combat. Sekiro was so fine tuned it may have not worked as well in an open highly customisable RPG.
  • Rogueywon 2 Mar 2021 11:35:49 11,963 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I liked Sekiro well enough, it was too difficult for me though, with no way to soften it by grinding. I fear they might be in a spiral where they feel they need to make each game harder than the next. I find Nioh 2 and the Demon's remaster so much more pleasant to play than Sekiro, which I abandoned because it was just too punishing.
    The difficulty spiral is a real concern with this genre. If you compare Sekiro, Nioh 2 or even The Surge 2 to Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls to some extent) they are much, much harder. I worry also about the spiral that seems to push the genre towards faster-paced but less "weighty" combat.
  • ZuluHero 2 Mar 2021 12:19:27 10,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TBH Sekiro wasn't helped by all the human sized enemies you face. Combat in these games rely on being able to read the tells for attacks so you can react, the souls games often have you facing off against large enemies with more obvious slower tells, the faster paced combat and less obvious tells made Sekiro a lot harder. Like you say, compounded with no way around it by grinding or over-levelling to offset your lack of skill and twitch reactions.

That said, with Sekiro being their most latest release, my confidence is also shaken, and it has made me more nervous about this. The souls games are hard, but you can work around any spikes you encounter. As long as they build in systems to make it more accessible then i'll be happy.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Mar 2021 12:22:09 40,623 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bichii wrote:

No idea how anyone can argue dark souls has better combat/gameplay.
    I do find the combat in Sekiro a bit - gimmicky? Relying almost entirely on perfect timing. If that's not your thing, you're out of luck. Dark Souls obviously allows for a much more varied approach how you want to play it. Then there's the RPG aspect of Dark Souls which counts as "gameplay" in my book.

Now I do get if people prefer Sekiro, it certainly has an elegance and coherence that's admirable, but I find the Souls games and Nioh just... a ton more fun.

I also found what I call the "bullshit level" in Sekiro too high. Sections that are plain unfair or just there to annoy you. All the games in this genre suffer from it to a certain degree, but Sekiro just went over the top.
  • Rhaegyr 2 Mar 2021 12:30:11 5,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    TBH Sekiro wasn't helped by all the human sized enemies you face. Combat in these games rely on being able to read the tells for attacks so you can react, the souls games often have you facing off against large enemies with more obvious slower tells, the faster paced combat and less obvious tells made Sekiro a lot harder. Like you say, compounded with no way around it by grinding or over-levelling to offset your lack of skill and twitch reactions.

That said, with Sekiro being their most latest release, my confidence is also shaken, and it has made me more nervous about this. The souls games are hard, but you can work around any spikes you encounter. As long as they build in systems to make it more accessible then i'll be happy.
    I thought this issue was mitigated pretty well by the red symbols that show up just before 'unblockable' moves hit; everything else could either be blocked or parried in the normal way. Definitely took a little longer to learn the tells though.
  • Rhaegyr 2 Mar 2021 12:32:52 5,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

I do find the combat in Sekiro a bit - gimmicky? Relying almost entirely on perfect timing. If that's not your thing, you're out of luck. Dark Souls obviously allows for a much more varied approach how you want to play it. Then there's the RPG aspect of Dark Souls which counts as "gameplay" in my book.

Now I do get if people prefer Sekiro, it certainly has an elegance and coherence that's admirable, but I find the Souls games and Nioh just... a ton more fun.

I also found what I call the "bullshit level" in Sekiro too high. Sections that are plain unfair or just there to annoy you. All the games in this genre suffer from it to a certain degree, but Sekiro just went over the top.
    Surprised when reading the bolded part - if anything I think Sekiro is the first FROM game to not have one of these areas that annoys the fuck out of you. There's no equivalent I recall that sits alongside Lost Izalith, Farron Keep, Black Gulch, Catacombs of Carthus etc.
  • nickthegun 2 Mar 2021 12:33:20 86,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

I do find the combat in Sekiro a bit - gimmicky? Relying almost entirely on perfect timing.
    Its one of the reasons I completed bloodborne with a big sword, rather than using the parry and riposte system every seemingly lost their minds over. I dont think I actually parried more than half a dozen times in that game, I just dont enjoy it as a mechanic.

Same with Code: Vein, another soulslike. The combat was largely built around a parry mechanic that just didnt work and a backstab mechanic that seemed to rely entirely on RNG to determine if you got the animation.
  • Rogueywon 2 Mar 2021 12:43:35 11,963 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @nickthegun I've just finished a co-op replay of Code Vein. The parry is indeed wildly inconsistent but... you don't actually really need to use it. I found the backstab much more reliable (indeed, overpowered).

You can make some entertainingly broken builds in Code Vein, particularly if you unlock the Codes from the DLC. I had a caster spec based on the Code you get from the end boss in the ice-themed DLC that was capable of demolishing some bosses with a handful of spells.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Mar 2021 12:45:39 40,623 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Rhaegyr Maybe it just seemed to me that way more than in other games becasue I just wasn't good at the game, but I remember getting contantly stabbed in the back, shot from afar, and falling off roofs.
  • nickthegun 2 Mar 2021 12:47:22 86,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I couldnt get backstab to trigger consistently throughout the entire game. I tried approaching at different angles, different distances all kinds of stuff. It needed an indicator like Nioh.

And, yeah, you dont need to use the parry. Indeed its often detrimental, but a massive part of the game is based around it and they put a lot of effort into it. Gear, stats and animations. But they implemented the actual operation in such a fuckheadedly terrible way it was pretty much guaranteed to kill you if you tried to use it in a fight.
  • Tuffty 2 Mar 2021 13:34:21 4,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My enjoyment of the combat was hampered by the fact that prosthetic tools were limited by a single resource and not only that, the skills you learned were also using the same resource. Just felt like a needless limit on what you could do to vary up the combat, which was only one moveset the entire game. That and the fact you had to go into menus to switch between which skills you wanted and the terrible upgrade path for prosthetic tools and the terrible camera.

Still, it was one of my favourite games that year.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:37:08 02-03-2021
  • OllyJ 2 Mar 2021 13:58:39 4,866 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    The difficulty spiral is a real concern with this genre. If you compare Sekiro, Nioh 2 or even The Surge 2 to Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls to some extent) they are much, much harder. I worry also about the spiral that seems to push the genre towards faster-paced but less "weighty" combat.
    Sekiro on the first playthrough had ridiculous difficulty, but I ended up finishing it 4 times and by the end it was quite a trivial but fun challenge.

Nioh 2, I didn't find too bad, because Co-op is very generous, and you really can quite quickly build a powerhouse in almost any flavour. Think the Nioh games are now pretty much my favourite.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Mar 2021 14:08:23 30,529 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to start Sekiro on PS5 soon and I'm shitting it now, I've completed all the Souls games + Bloodborne but always used magic as well as Melee as I'm a bit shit :(
  • Gibroon 2 Mar 2021 14:11:30 2,633 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If you are not good at parrying /timing you will hate sekiro.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.