Following Animal Crossing: New Horizons

First Previous
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Jun 2019 18:43:16 6,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been waiting many years for this, but a delay into March 2020 isn't going to hurt all that much. Mechanically speaking, it looks like a big step up from the 3DS game (which remains an all-time favourite of mine). Does anybody know if there's a schedule for the Treehouse presentation? I need to know more!

• Deleted user 11 June 2019 18:45:12
    As posted in the E3 thread. I can't wait for this. Twas great to play with the wife and daughter and visit each others towns and trade items etc. Some cool little mini games and the gameplay loop was very addictive. I'd always spurned the series until I tried the 3ds version and got hooked.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Jun 2019 18:46:56 6,299 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was getting nervous in the Direct as it appeared they weren't going to mention it. It looks like crafting is in. Interesting. I don't mind the delay and I'm looking forward to getting more info.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2019 18:49:55
    It's looking good. I remember really enjoying New Leaf so this was always going to be a purchase.
  • SnackPlissken 11 Jun 2019 18:55:47 1,604 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is my most wanted game. Animal Crossing is the most stress free relaxing game Iíve ever played. This should be prescribed on the NHS.
  • SamNunn92 11 Jun 2019 19:17:25 887 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This looks aces. Was hoping for a 2019 release but I can manage until March!
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Jun 2019 19:55:56 6,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So it does look like crafting is the biggest new feature, which could make for a rather nice change of pace. There's a distinct lack of space on the island for shopping (although Timmy seemed to be selling some furniture). I couldn't see a museum, either. Perhaps those elements are all under wraps for now. I hope they're not entirely missing!

I did notice an airplane symbol on the map though.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2019 20:00:01 28,355 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I detest milennials
  • rice_sandwich 11 Jun 2019 20:08:50 6,299 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having northern and southern hemisphere seasons is a nice touch. Nook miles seems like a decent way to get different rewards and give a bit of focus to the gameplay. Crafting is optional but I like the idea of it. Local co-op is good idea too.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Jun 2019 20:11:09 6,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hey, man! Animal Crossing is the closest thing most millennials will ever get to owning a home or having a reasonably paid job.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Jun 2019 20:12:20 6,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I'm getting the feeling Nook Miles are the same thing as those Meow Coupons that cropped up in New Leaf. At first I thought it could have been heading into microtransaction territory, but I think we're ok!
  • rice_sandwich 11 Jun 2019 20:19:18 6,299 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Yeah, that's true. It will probably integrate some Pocket Camp features but I don't think we'll see any micro transactions.

My initial feelings are that it's classic AC with better graphics and a variety of quality of life improvements. I don't want to learn much more as it's always best to go in fresh and discover things on your own.
  • David_Richardson 11 Jun 2019 21:00:43 1,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I detest milennials
    You know the oldest Millennials are nearing 40? Just admit you're getting old and want to pigeonhole and shit on people you feel superior to, man posting on a gaming website forum.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2019 21:13:07
    Aren't we xennials or something as late 30 somethings?

Although being able to buying a house is pure fantasy still
  • Deleted user 11 June 2019 21:22:40
    Just ignore the cunt. He shits up every thread.
  • David_Richardson 11 Jun 2019 21:49:04 1,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    Aren't we xennials or something as late 30 somethings?

Although being able to buying a house is pure fantasy still
    Yeah, apparently we are. I just turned 40 this year, and that particular micro generation can be loosely defined by having had an analogue childhood and a digital adulthood. Not that is really means anything unless you're just looking for shared experience.
  • David_Richardson 11 Jun 2019 21:49:24 1,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I forgot to say, I fucking love Animal Crossing.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 11 Jun 2019 22:00:55 2,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Like I need another mortgage
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jun 2019 09:19:57 6,299 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good news! There's no direct connectivity between AC and pocket camp.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/animal_crossing_new_horizons_wont_have_direct_connectivity_with_the_mobile_entry_pocket_camp
  • nudistpete 13 Jun 2019 09:48:31 1,112 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I want Tom Nook to fly me to a remote island and work me like a slave for bells, and in March it will be REALITY.
  • el_pollo_diablo 13 Jun 2019 10:19:27 3,001 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pretty sure I don't have the time to invest in another AC game nowadays :-(
  • Dombat 13 Jun 2019 10:26:24 1,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't played Animal Crossing since the game on the original DS around 2006. Interested in this though, I often find myself wanting to play a peaceful slow-paced game instead of all the intense games I mostly play. Particularly when sleepy or hungover. :D
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jun 2019 10:28:27 6,299 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @el_pollo_diablo

It's the sort of game that you can play for 10 minutes a day and still make progress.
  • Dombat 13 Jun 2019 11:07:17 1,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's definitely a game to get via eshop isn't it? Switching between game cartridges constantly to play for short bursts between other games would get annoying.

Although there's always the chance it becomes the only Switch game I play...
  • Deleted user 13 June 2019 11:46:48
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @el_pollo_diablo

It's the sort of game that you can play for 10 minutes a day and still make progress.
    Indeed. I've barely any time for new leaf but I can dive on for 10-15 mins and get some mortgage paid off, collect fruit, buy shit, fish or whatever.
  • el_pollo_diablo 13 Jun 2019 13:06:52 3,001 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @el_pollo_diablo

I'm very slow when it comes to weeding.
  • Singularity 13 Jun 2019 14:52:07 3,235 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My body is ready for this. But can't really complain about the delay as it's to avoid inflicting a crunch period on Nintendo's staff.

I have more than 500 hours on the 3DS version, and digital is definitely the way to go for AC.
  • DangerousDave_87 9 Feb 2020 11:16:08 6,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's little more than a vague detail at the moment, but the Nintendo website now lists New Horizons as having in-game purchases. Slightly anxious about that, although it's hardly surprising at this stage.

I'll be OK with that if it's just a way of spitting out those campsite tickets to speed up purchasing items and such. As long as the rest of the game is as perfectly balanced as it's always been. It's something I can simply ignore. However, if they decide to lock particular furniture, items and residents behind a paywall, I might have to throw my Switch at the head of an innocent bystander.

I've been playing Fallout Shelter on Switch a lot recently. It has a similar pacing to Animal Crossing in that you can put in 20 minutes here and there, just to keep on top of things, or participate in a timed event, with everything unfolding in real time. It's that same satisfying pace that keeps you hooked.

It too has in-game purchases, but they're actually managed really well. It's a premium currency thing, but not only does the game refuse to remind you about it's existence, the game actually plays perfectly fine without having to spend a penny. You don't feel like the experience has been ruined somewhat by avoiding these purchases. I really hope this is the path Nintendo chooses, but we all know what they've done with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing on Switch.
  • JoelStinty 9 Feb 2020 12:00:23 8,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

I think all Nintendo games have been rated for In-app purchases. I think it is there way of saying that DLC will be in the game at some point. If you check out the Fire Emblem TH Nintendo page for example they list it as having In game purchases.

It would be the one game that they may try it on, but will have to see. So far they've managed to keep that side of the industry out of their main flagship business.
  • b-rk 9 Feb 2020 12:02:53 1,162 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I hope there will be a special Animal Crossing themed Switch Lite...
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.