Animal Crossing: New Horizons Page 2

• el_pollo_diablo 9 Feb 2020 13:54:49 3,001 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not sure about the crafting in this. Crafting in games is boring as fuck.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2020 10:42:54 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It hopefully shouldn't be a million miles away from the core of Animal Crossing gameplay, if they've done it right. It has always been busy work and chores to work toward getting the pretty stuff you actually want. For me it really depends how quickly things progress. If I play a lot during that first week, I better have at least a nice little log cabin by the end of it.
  • zamboni 16 Feb 2020 17:20:29 67 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    this is going to be the first preorder i have done in ages.
    i've been playing new leaf from the start all weekend.
  • rice_sandwich 16 Feb 2020 18:22:55 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just got my digital pre-order for £36.85 from Shopto. Only just over a month until launch day!
  • zamboni 16 Feb 2020 21:24:06 67 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    cracking price
  • Flying_Pig 17 Feb 2020 19:53:27 16,551 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm on the fence with this. I played AC on the DS and enjoyed it for a bit but then it got dull and repetitive. I just don't remember there being that much to do...

I'm happy with relaxed gameplay and simple quests etc (I loved Stardew Valley for example), but I'm unsure whether this'll be enough to keep me going past the first week...
  • DownwardSpiral 17 Feb 2020 19:59:20 594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Flying_Pig

I didn't particularly like the DS version either but the 3ds version was like crack for me. Hoping the switch version is like the latter.

Disappointed to hear only one island per switch though :(
  • rice_sandwich 17 Feb 2020 20:26:30 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Flying_Pig

It is much better if you play with another person. It's a slow game that takes its time and really benefits from being played a few minutes every day.
  • Flying_Pig 17 Feb 2020 21:08:42 16,551 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, see I really get to play (almost) daily in 2 x 30 minute sessions on my daily commute. If it suits shorter sessions more, then it might not be for me...

And it's not like I don't have plenty more on the Switch to be getting along with!
  • DangerousDave_87 17 Feb 2020 21:35:04 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The rice_sandwich is right! Having somebody to play with really does help. It's nice just sharing your town progress, things you've unlocked and items you've got for sale in your shops. It really adds to the experience.
  • rice_sandwich 18 Feb 2020 08:05:48 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes. Animal Crossing is quite a social game and some of its enjoyment comes from the meta narrative that emerges from players and the way that the town grows and the ways in which you choose to create and customise.

If you play it in a mechanistic, task focused way then I can see how it can quickly become boring. I like to see it as something that lives alongside my daily life, and as time passes, things also change within its own world.

It's probably my favourite game of all time considering the fun times and good memories I've had. There are few games that have any great meaning to me but Animal Crossing is one that I find important and meaningful.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Feb 2020 08:07:57 23,489 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That persistent element is one reason why I prefer AC to something like Stardew Valley. Which is still a great game, but it feels more like a management sim than a slow life sim.
  • monkman76 18 Feb 2020 08:35:27 16,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have no experience of it but a real curiosity - it doesnít look or sound like the kind of thing any adult would want to play, so it must have something about it thatís not apparent from the outside I guess.
  • b-rk 18 Feb 2020 09:12:08 1,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What? Anyway, I'm buying a Switch Lite just for this but really want a Animal Crossing themed one.

Reminder: DO NOT LET GREMMI INTO YOUR TOWN, HE WILL FUCK YOUR TREES UP COMPLETELY
  • DangerousDave_87 18 Feb 2020 12:17:27 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    So we'd all be in each other's worlds?
    You have your own town to look after, but you can visit the towns of your friends and family. You often get special visitors who visit town once a week to trade rare items or hold competitions/activities, so there are incentives to visiting others.
  • rice_sandwich 18 Feb 2020 12:36:10 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's odd that we don't know very much about new features. I imagine a bunch of things have been improved and expanded. I suppose an AC Direct will come within the next couple of weeks. I might not bother watching it so that I can go in totally fresh
  • chrisno21 19 Feb 2020 08:06:38 2,286 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That AC direct is on tomorrow (20th).
  • rice_sandwich 19 Feb 2020 08:15:47 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice. 25 minute live stream. Will watch.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Feb 2020 08:47:52 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm tempted to not watch it. I like the idea of going in blind and not having any more spoilers, but at the same time I'm not in work tomorrow and could watch it...
  • rice_sandwich 19 Feb 2020 08:54:36 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Don't watch it and don't talk about it. Unplug from the internet for the next month to avoid any risk of spoilers!
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2020 09:00:54 23,489 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'm going to be getting this no matter what, so I don't really need info about features to be more hyped.
  • rice_sandwich 19 Feb 2020 09:05:15 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's the biggest and most important game release of the 21st century so it'll be worth not spoiling.
  • ghearoid 19 Feb 2020 09:58:41 3,521 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've already preloaded so it's not like I need any persuading now. Then again, I don't want to unplug myself from the internet for the next month. It's bad enough avoiding spoilers for Rupaul's Drag Race each week.
  • rice_sandwich 19 Feb 2020 10:10:50 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ghearoid

I suggest you adopt the hovel style abode for the next month, based upon the Tom Nook starter home.
  • zamboni 19 Feb 2020 20:43:43 67 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i've just purchased a download code from shopto for £36.85
  • Steifybobbins 19 Feb 2020 23:12:04 643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @thingy My Daughter once visited Thingy (often spotted in the splatoon thread) she nicked a bunch of his flowers and fruit. He thought it was me as she was on my 3ds. To the other points, animal crossing can feel like there's not much to do, like you've seen it all in 10 minutes but it's actually almost endless. As the poster above said it's not mechanical it's a place to tinker with and escape to that is alive and evolving. My best memory was sharing my town with said Daughter and we would send eachother mail for next time we powered on. I sadly dont live with her anymore and I was able to mail her a letter in the game before I gifted her my old 3ds because she told me she missed animal crossing. That's magic and all those letters live on.
  • Thingy 20 Feb 2020 00:08:29 7,716 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Steifybobbins Alright mate, Staying out of this thread and away from all Animal Crossing related content until after the game is out. Really looking forward to this one. There's been about 3 years since I last opened it up on 3DS. I'm definitely ready to start afresh.
  • Steifybobbins 20 Feb 2020 06:26:23 643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Thingy yes I'm good, I hope you are too. I've not read too much either, really looking forward to having an AC game on the go again that I can uncover as I go along. Fingers crossed any changes dont take away from the fundamental experience. You still playing splatoon? I should get back on that too.
  • rice_sandwich 20 Feb 2020 07:03:26 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm slightly concerned about the crafting element. If done well it could be a good way to make specific items rather than waiting until they show up in the store. In general I want lots of new furniture, more fish and bugs, better item place ment and storage and more secret stuff that has to be worked out by the player (flower breeding). I'll skip today's direct and wait until release day.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.