Animal Crossing: New Horizons Page 27

• KRadiation 25 Mar 2020 20:35:30 1,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    aww the watering can doesn't extinguish camp fires :/
  • the_milkybar_kid 25 Mar 2020 20:46:24 8,254 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers Jono / Derbs. Going to open invite for the first time.
  • Jono62 25 Mar 2020 20:55:23 25,056 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 Yeah, next time. Think I had 5 in which is the max I believe. I'll open up again tomorrow.
  • papalazar0u 25 Mar 2020 21:19:37 164 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Jono62 it was really busy!
  • Derblington 25 Mar 2020 22:15:54 33,148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve got all the fish leaving in March now. Iíve got a few rare ones too, which I didnít realize.

Ed: I lie. I donít have the string fish. Back to the cliffs I go....

Edited by Derblington at 22:28:09 25-03-2020
  • voden 25 Mar 2020 22:49:38 781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just spent a couple of hours trying to get the stringfish and sturgeon. Didn't get either, they both seem quite rare. Either that or I've got no luck.
  • nudistpete 25 Mar 2020 22:51:50 1,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has anyone been to a Nook ticket Island that doesn't have their native fruit? I'm beginning to think the tales of these magic Islands full of different fruit and tarantulas is a load of bollocks.
  • askew 25 Mar 2020 22:52:38 21,429 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I thought those emperor butterflies were worth a good amount. Seem to be quite common on my island in the evening.
  • ghearoid 25 Mar 2020 23:13:06 3,573 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @nudistpete

I've been to islands with oranges so it does happen. Just oranges for me so far though (native fruit is cherry)

I did once turn up in a fantastic island which had nothing but hybrid flowers. Ooh, I stuffed my pockets with those!
  • Derblington 25 Mar 2020 23:50:01 33,148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    voden wrote:
    I just spent a couple of hours trying to get the stringfish and sturgeon. Didn't get either, they both seem quite rare. Either that or I've got no luck.
    I caught 2 sturgeons tonight. 3 oarfish, 7 football fish, 2 cherry salmon, a tuna, a blue marlin, a char and a golden trout.
    And 3 tarantulas.
    Lots went to to the museum and the rest are all getting sold tomorrow.
  • voden 26 Mar 2020 00:09:43 781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cought my first tarantula tonight, after getting murdered by them every night since release. Still no sturgeon or stringfish though. Have went through lots of bait as well.
  • Mark1412 26 Mar 2020 00:30:28 1,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Has anyone been to a Nook ticket Island that doesn't have their native fruit? I'm beginning to think the tales of these magic Islands full of different fruit and tarantulas is a load of bollocks.
    You can nudge the game towards spawning lots of tarantulas if you completely mine an island, including getting rid of all the flowers, rocks and tree stumps. A little cheese, and it's not as good as the tarantula island which I found once and didn't know enough to really take advantage of.

I cannot find an island with oranges on and almost every one I do arrive at seems to have cherries, which is my native fruit.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Mar 2020 01:14:18 23,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of the nice things about having a down-under island is that a lot of the metagame (see: "omg create an island of tarantulas and sell them for millions and fully upgrade your house within a week") is completely irrelevant to me. Though I suppose someone will probably do something similar with scorpions or something.

Technically I could just ignore it. But in New Leaf it was a bit deflating when you made an early visit to the town of someone who's been gaming it through time travel or whatever, and you saw most of the game's surprises laid out bare for you. And you couldn't even trade anything because they already had everything, you offered up some rare mineral and they were like "oh, sure, just add it to the pile over there".

Hopefully by the time I get to tarantulas, all the speed runners will have quit and I can play exclusively with the chill crowd.

Anyway, I hope there are some things that you won't be able to find on the deserted isles. In particular, all the talk of hybrid flowers is worrying me a bit. One of my proudest NL achievements was making a garden of blue roses (it was really fucking hard and time consuming), and it would have felt like less of an achievement if I could have just found them on an island somewhere.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Mar 2020 01:24:49 23,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just spent half an hour looking for a nice snow-themed pathing design for my town, only to find that I can't create paths yet. :(

Oh well, a few more sign designs probably won't go astray. I've already got a couple up near the entrance.
  • rice_sandwich 26 Mar 2020 07:27:38 6,436 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

@Mola_Ram
    You can always not bother with all of that that. I'm playing the old-fashioned way, 20-30 minutes a day, no visits to other players for the first few weeks due to town spoilers and not picking up hybrid flowers (not that I've seen any), time travelling, doing money glitches etc.

Many new players will probably drop the game in a few weeks as they will smash the content and majority of easy to get unlocks really quickly, only to discover that they don't like the core gameplay loop of pottering around, messing with furniture and chatting to villagers.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Mar 2020 07:30:48 23,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah... people are welcome to visit my town (probably opening again tonight), but if I visit others I'm not going to spend too much time fishing or whatever.

Though EG people have been fine with this kind of thing. :)
  • Derblington 26 Mar 2020 07:48:02 33,148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Better to enjoy what you like and then drop it when you donít if thatís what youíre going to do anyway. Dragging that out isnít going to result in more playtime overall. Different strokes.
  • PrivateFloyd 26 Mar 2020 07:57:12 5,315 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Question.

How do I access the elevated sections of my island?
  • rice_sandwich 26 Mar 2020 08:04:06 6,436 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's true to a certain extent. In past games various unlocks have depended on elapsed time as well as in game player actions. There are some events and unlocks that likely won't appear until a couple of months (or several) have passed, regardless of player actions.

I get the feeling that some core gameplay elements / past characters / easter eggs are still being developed and will be added as updates. I fully expect additional paid for dlc to be released given that the game sales have been super high.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Mar 2020 08:05:01 23,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Question.

Eventually Nook gives you a recipe for a ladder.
  • monkman76 26 Mar 2020 08:05:16 16,094 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Question.

- Craft parachute
    - Fly to another island
    - Bail from plane as you fly overhead

The above may not be true
  • askew 26 Mar 2020 08:07:06 21,429 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Question.

You will be able to craft a ladder. I did think you could fix them in place, but you just carry it in your pockets.
  • Derblington 26 Mar 2020 08:09:39 33,148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    That's true to a certain extent. In past games various unlocks have depended on elapsed time as well as in game player actions. There are some events and unlocks that likely won't appear until a couple of months (or several) have passed, regardless of player actions.

I get the feeling that some core gameplay elements / past characters / easter eggs are still being developed and will be added as updates. I fully expect additional paid for dlc to be released given that the game sales have been super high.
    Sure, but if you discover that you donít care for the sedate nature and core loop, none of that is going to change your mind. Itís just more stuff that you wonít care about.
  • rice_sandwich 26 Mar 2020 08:18:17 6,436 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Derblington

Yeah, I don't disagree with you. The game is what you make it. Of course the way that I play it is obviously the best way 😁
  • PrivateFloyd 26 Mar 2020 08:41:49 5,315 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Question.

- Craft parachute
    - Fly to another island
    - Bail from plane as you fly overhead

The above may not be true
    Actually got excited for a moment then.
  • monkman76 26 Mar 2020 08:47:23 16,094 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry :D
  • DakeyrasUK 26 Mar 2020 10:05:00 4,174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am definitely diving in strong into this game to upgrade my house quick as I can. That said I'm not cheating by taking advantage of the duplicate item bug or changing up the days.

I did engineer myself a tarantula island. Though that is nowhere near the same as landing on tarantula island as you have to spend nigh on 2 hrs to get 30 tarantulas. So it is just a different way to spend some time getting funds to pay off Tom Crook.

I now have 3 extra rooms to my house and not enough furniture to have it as I would like (my bedroom/bathroom is immense and I'm very happy with it) but my kitchen is lacking side counters for things to go on and my new room is untamed as of yet.

The town service place is closed today until tomorrow so today will be a fishing day to find what I need before the March not April spawn opportunity is gone.

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 10:05:45 26-03-2020
  • DangerousDave_87 26 Mar 2020 10:12:16 6,811 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    You can always not bother with all of that that. I'm playing the old-fashioned way, 20-30 minutes a day, no visits to other players for the first few weeks due to town spoilers and not picking up hybrid flowers (not that I've seen any), time travelling, doing money glitches etc.
    This is how I'm playing it, too. Going for the long game as I know I'll still be here in a year's time! I am quite curious to see other folks islands, though. Even though I've nothing to offer but oranges. I've only just got the materials for my shop last night.
  • askew 26 Mar 2020 10:15:17 21,429 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My coconuts have fruited! I'm enjoying tending to my virtual garden and building my orchard thanks to your islands.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Mar 2020 10:15:35 23,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing I'd like is for crating materials to be accessible straight from storage. It's really annoying to transfer everything you need into your pockets before you craft, but as far as I can tell that's exactly what you have to do.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.