Animal Crossing: New Horizons Page 4

• Steifybobbins 20 Feb 2020 22:07:32 643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Thingy next time I see you on I'll pop in for a round or two!
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2020 22:11:29 28,696 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Playing Link's Awakening tonight and it struck me again just how poor the AC visuals are in comparison. AC looks completely flat, they've basically up-rezzed the old games and added no modern touches. Such a shame, the Switch hardware could produce a gorgeous game with all the cuteness.
  • Jono62 20 Feb 2020 22:18:59 24,799 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Why is Shopto so cheap? Are those UK codes? Are they safe to purchase from?
    It's come up ready to play so I think it's ok.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2020 06:08:51 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Really? I think it looks absolutely beautiful. I don't think a shiny, light sourced AC would look good. I guess it's one of those 'Well, that's just your opinion, man' things.
  • ukaskew37 21 Feb 2020 08:14:53 188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Why is Shopto so cheap? Are those UK codes? Are they safe to purchase from?
    I ordered AC and Luigi's Mansion 3 from them last week, code arrived immediately and both popped up on my home screen with no issues. Nearly halfway through LM3 with my son so can confirm they are working just fine!

I honestly don't get how they or CD Keys do it, but they work.
  • zamboni 21 Feb 2020 08:23:51 67 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i got my ac code straight away and preloaded ready to go.
    i bought a years sub for psnow code from them it worked fine.
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Feb 2020 08:53:13 6,811 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers for the feedback. Always wonder if there's any repercussions from this kind of thing, but tempted to get my digital copy at that price anyway.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2020 09:38:42 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shopto is a reputable, well established retailer. I imagine they bulk bought codes and are choosing to discount them to get profit via high sales volumes. It's not the same as dodgy reseller sites that might use stolen or illegally generated keys.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 21 Feb 2020 09:58:23 32,417 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Really? I think it looks absolutely beautiful. I don't think a shiny, light sourced AC would look good. I guess it's one of those 'Well, that's just your opinion, man' things.
    I'm with you, I really love the art style. The core style hasn't changed, sure, but I love that it's all so crisp and clean now, really making that existing art style pop. All the little tweaks to the lighting and animations all really work for me.
  • ChiefGB 21 Feb 2020 10:03:42 12,402 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is another one of those games that doesnít connect with me all that much. After buying Pokemon and bouncing off, I think Iíll be steering clear of this, but fomo innit.
  • ChiefGB 21 Feb 2020 10:05:07 12,402 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is another one of those games that doesnít connect with me all that much. After buying Pokemon and bouncing off, I think Iíll be steering clear of this, but fomo innit.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2020 10:10:03 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If the Direct didn't excite you then it's safe to say it's not for you. For me, there is no other possible game announcement that could top New Horizons.

BOTW 2 coming tomorrow, you say? Zzzzzzz....
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Feb 2020 10:15:44 28,696 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

I'm with you, I really love the art style. The core style hasn't changed, sure, but I love that it's all so crisp and clean now, really making that existing art style pop. All the little tweaks to the lighting and animations all really work for me.
    Each to their own etc.
    Maybe I'm being unfair but I don't see much difference in stuff like lightning.

Anyway, my other half isn't a gamer at all but she did like AC on the DS or 3ds, can't remember so I'm tempted to get this for her.
  • Murbs 21 Feb 2020 12:40:50 24,746 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm still undecided. Mainly due to the worry of my daughters doing all the fun stuff and leaving nothing for me.
  • ukaskew37 21 Feb 2020 13:52:40 188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Murbs wrote:
    I'm still undecided. Mainly due to the worry of my daughters doing all the fun stuff and leaving nothing for me.
    This does bother me too. I get them wanting it to be a social thing but at least give us the option of multiple islands on a single Switch! I can't think of anything worse than somebody (even somebody close to me) messing around with "my" town.

I'd buy another copy just so my wife and/or son could play it too but that doesn't seem to be an option either.
  • Dazimus 21 Feb 2020 13:55:45 1,244 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I saw something saying tools could be locked to stop other people destroying your town.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2020 14:08:26 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's one island per Switch so you'll have to agree where to place certain buildings and perhaps divide up terraforming rights by agreement etc.

Apart from that, if the previous entries are anything to go by, each player has their own journey throughout the game. I like playing on the same island/town as another player as it's much more fun and social. I have no idea why they went for one island per console, apart from that it might help to sell more hardware.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2020 14:19:49 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The amount of space has been fine in previous games in relation to the amount of buildings /features etc. Wherever you need to go is never more than a few seconds walk or run away.

I guess the main point about AC is that it has a lot of cool and fun stuff going on, charming characters and a very fun social experience.

It's all about the metagame and using your imagination and creativity. It's fun to create designs and share all the stuff you've found with other players. It's a playground for light hearted, cosy fun.
  • Jono62 21 Feb 2020 17:23:31 24,799 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watching the direct reminded me of Lost.
  • Mark1412 21 Feb 2020 17:48:46 1,689 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Watching the direct reminded me of Lost.
    Definitely lost my interest at the end.

only because it was the FAQ though.
  • ukaskew37 21 Feb 2020 21:56:42 188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    The whole cloud save thing genuinely stopped me ordering one of the cheap Lite's this evening. I'm travelling a lot over the summer and there is no way I'm going to be allowed to remove the Switch out of the house for weeks at a time.

A cheap Lite seemed like the logical answer, but history suggests AC is going to be my gaming life from April onwards and not being able to play that is an absolute deal breaker.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Feb 2020 22:38:12 28,696 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ukaskew37 wrote:
    The whole cloud save thing genuinely stopped me ordering one of the cheap Lite's this evening. I'm travelling a lot over the summer and there is no way I'm going to be allowed to remove the Switch out of the house for weeks at a time.

A cheap Lite seemed like the logical answer, but history suggests AC is going to be my gaming life from April onwards and not being able to play that is an absolute deal breaker.
    I love Nintendo, they're fcking amazing at what they do but they just can't help being arseholes and randomly doing ridiculous shit like this.
    My Switch got pinched last year in an airport, I hadn't they started online so all saves gone.
    Now people even with online are fcked if that happens after 100s of hours of Animal Crossing....
  • Dazimus 22 Feb 2020 07:43:13 1,244 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Iím sure I read that Nintendo can recover saves for lost/stolen or damaged consoles. Might just be a single restore but the option is there.

Edited by Dazimus at 08:04:29 22-02-2020
  • b-rk 22 Feb 2020 08:03:29 1,215 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ukaskew37 wrote:

Cheap Lite's? Tell me of these cheap Lite's. Also, why is the game still a month away from release. HOW IS THIS FAIR.
  • DangerousDave_87 25 Feb 2020 21:29:37 6,811 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ukaskew37 Having re-read your post, could you not transfer the save from your old Switch to the Lite and then back again after travelling? Not to excuse the mess that is cloud saving on Switch.
  • binky Moderator 26 Feb 2020 10:44:14 11,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thanks for posting the Shopto link! Just saved £15 as I was going to get this digitally for the family. Nice!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.