Fire Emblem: Three Houses Page 20

• Dombat 9 Aug 2019 14:49:31 1,617 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    The biggest gripe I have is that sometimes it's difficult to tell how far along mastery wise a character is in their current class. Like on unit deployment if I'm trying to decide who to bring based on who needs more mastery I have to go to the reclass screen to see it.
    That too. It's generally hassle to compare character skills against classes, or to reassign goals while doing this. All that shit could be handled under the same menu sub-section.

Edited by Dombat at 14:50:40 09-08-2019
  • Mola_Ram 9 Aug 2019 19:54:57 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I could get rid of Dimitri somehow. He's kind of pissing me off with his emo shit.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Aug 2019 20:52:34 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok, so I hit the last pre-skip mission and then at the end of it got what looked very much like a huge plot-decision. It is just Black Eagles that get this? Sided with Edelgard in the end, as it's been pretty clear for a while that the Church is pretty dodgy.

Then I had to stop, as my Pro Controller was giving low battery warnings and I hate playing on the little wii-mote-y things.
  • ChiefGB 9 Aug 2019 21:25:18 11,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do we even know if the class mastery perks stay once you move class anyway, otherwise itís all pointless shit as I reclass as soon as mastered as holding them back weakens the boosts they get when they certify to a new one.
    If that all makes sense.
  • Duffking 9 Aug 2019 21:31:41 16,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Ok, so I hit the last pre-skip mission and then at the end of it got what looked very much like a huge plot-decision. It is just Black Eagles that get this? Sided with Edelgard in the end, as it's been pretty clear for a while that the Church is pretty dodgy.

Then I had to stop, as my Pro Controller was giving low battery warnings and I hate playing on the little wii-mote-y things.
    That's just for the BE route. There's a second route which you triggered by talking to her in the last month and having a C support, then choosing that..
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Aug 2019 22:30:04 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Mastery perks are permanent.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Aug 2019 08:24:22 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm (very) slowly solving the "recruited guys are really underlevelled" problem by hiring them as adjutants.

It's still tricky sometimes though. I was doing Marianne's paralogue, recommended level 29 and she was 22. And she started off on the map all by herself, surrounded by enemies. And there was fog (though time reversal makes fog kind of trivial in this game).

Actually, speaking of the divine pulse thing... I do love it but think it should be a lot more limited. Right now I've got 11 charges that replenish every battle, and that's way too much. Maybe (for harder difficulties at least) they could limit the number of charges, or make every "step" you rewind use up a charge. Or have the thing only replenish with a Rest action, or at the end of the month.
  • Dombat 10 Aug 2019 10:20:08 1,617 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I agree they are too generous with the divine pulses. I rarely need to use them on normal though so they might as well be infinite for me, which is a shame.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Aug 2019 10:24:13 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'm (very) slowly solving the "recruited guys are really underlevelled" problem by hiring them as adjutants.

It's still tricky sometimes though. I was doing Marianne's paralogue, recommended level 29 and she was 22. And she started off on the map all by herself, surrounded by enemies. And there was fog (though time reversal makes fog kind of trivial in this game).

Actually, speaking of the divine pulse thing... I do love it but think it should be a lot more limited. Right now I've got 11 charges that replenish every battle, and that's way too much. Maybe (for harder difficulties at least) they could limit the number of charges, or make every "step" you rewind use up a charge. Or have the thing only replenish with a Rest action, or at the end of the month.
    I dunno, the alternative is I restart the entire mission. I much prefer it this way. Itís not like you have to use them, but it means I donít get fucked over by RNG (which has happened a few times) at the end of a mission.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Aug 2019 10:35:02 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like I said, I love them and think that they're a good idea - I just think that they should be a limited resource, at least in Hard mode, rather the current situation where it's basically unlimited. Like, in Echoes you had to find charges for the thing; maybe that could be used here too.

And "just don't use them" doesn't help me, because that's not the way my mind works. If a resource is there, and there's no downside to using it, I will use it. In my case, the limit needs to be applied from the outside.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:13:08 10-08-2019
  • CalamityJames 10 Aug 2019 16:04:43 241 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Planning to order this at the end of the month at the same time as Astral Chain.

I was wondering if the (physical) special edition comes with a code for the expansion pass - can't find any mention of it (i.e. no confirmation either way), so I presume not, right?

Edited by CalamityJames at 16:05:14 10-08-2019
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 10 Aug 2019 16:06:13 3,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CalamityJames wrote:
    Planning to order this at the end of the month at the same time as Astral Chain.

I was wondering if the (physical) special edition comes with a code for the expansion pass - can't find any mention of it (i.e. no confirmation either way), so I presume not, right?
    Nah, that is a separate purchase. The LE may have been worth the extra if it had that in it. First FE LE I have skipped in West.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Aug 2019 16:08:07 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @CalamityJames both FE and astral chain are part of the £84 Nintendo online deal.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Aug 2019 16:24:03 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found an... interesting way of training up weapon levels.

Basically, the two people I wanted as mounted mage units needed level C in lances. Neither of them had held a lance in their entire lives, and neither of them particularly wanted to learn. BUT LEARN THEY MUST. The skill goes up if they attack with a lance, and it doesn't matter if they miss or do no damage. So...

Step 1: give both units a rusty lance
    Step 2: clear battlefield of all enemies except for one mage
    Step 3: get all other units out of range, and watch as the mage bounces his limited spell charges off their resistance
    Step 4: CORNER HIM, equip rusty lances
    Step 5: proceed to spend the next 90 turns torturing the poor guy by either missing him, or stabbing him for no damage with rusty lances

Watch those skill points go up!

It's a bit wrong. Particularly considering one of the torturers was Mercedes, who is by far the nicest person on the team. But she needed to be blooded.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Aug 2019 19:01:17 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Basically, the two people I wanted as mounted mage units needed level C in lances. Neither of them had held a lance in their entire lives, and neither of them particularly wanted to learn. BUT LEARN THEY MUST. The skill goes up if they attack with a lance, and it doesn't matter if they miss or do no damage. So...

Step 3: get all other units out of range, and watch as the mage bounces his limited spell charges off their resistance
    Step 5: proceed to spend the next 90 turns torturing the poor guy by either missing him, or stabbing him for no damage with rusty lances

It's a bit wrong. Particularly considering one of the torturers was Mercedes, who is by far the nicest person on the team. But she needed to be blooded.
    Would be safer with an archer right?
  • Mola_Ram 10 Aug 2019 20:01:15 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah you could do it with an archer too, but it doesn't make much difference. Once a mage is out of spells, there's nothing they can do. They don't even move.

Potential problem with an archer is that you have to box them in, and that's not always possible. Though they do potentially last a bit longer as a training dummy.
  • Ror 10 Aug 2019 22:08:19 18,702 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally made a start on this today, enjoying it so far. But why does Dedue look like a Jojo character?
  • Duffking 10 Aug 2019 23:48:40 16,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

This is actually pretty classic FE grinding strats. Another one is to remove everyone's weapons and have them attack unarmed to boost up class mastery, or grind healer levels.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Aug 2019 23:59:18 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Finally made a start on this today, enjoying it so far. But why does Dedue look like a Jojo character?
    Just wait til you meet Raphael
  • Mola_Ram 11 Aug 2019 03:31:42 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Duffking yeah I've used it before in earlier games, but earlier games didn't have broken or rusted weapons. That makes it a lot easier/more cruel.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Aug 2019 07:24:14 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyway, Felix update...

His spell list sucks. He gets a total of two Black Magic spells (the Dark ones don't appear to carry over from Dark Mage, which basically means that I wasted the Dark Seal on him). Funnily enough he's actually a decent healer, even though his white magic doesn't get the critical buffs that his black magic does. Overall, though, he's not much of a mage.

BUT

Mortal Savant is a great class. It probably makes him the most versatile unit I have, because he can kill *anything*, and also heal. So despite the amount of work involved, I think the "teach the swordsman magic" experiment worked out pretty well!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:24:58 11-08-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Aug 2019 07:30:57 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mortal savant have great avoid stats too.
  • Dombat 11 Aug 2019 10:03:22 1,617 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone tried Byleth as a Mortal Savant? The master class options are lacking for sword users.

Edited by Dombat at 10:03:50 11-08-2019
  • Mola_Ram 11 Aug 2019 11:20:56 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Has anyone tried Byleth as a Mortal Savant? The master class options are lacking for sword users.
    I haven't, but I'm currently raising his black magic stats, so we'll see.

I'd imagine that Byleth would be fine in any class. Generally the avatar characters are strong pretty much everywhere.
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Aug 2019 11:39:00 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    I did, but by then it was too late for her to really use dark magic. She has another more viable option though.

Have you lot worked out how to use the dancer class. It took me ages to find the reclass menu in the roster.
  • JoelStinty 11 Aug 2019 11:45:42 7,999 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Miles behind some of you guys. Only about to go towards the eastern church. 13 hours or so in. Really enjoying it. Moved everyone on to beginner seals with a couple on intermediate. I think I got people genuinely planned on classes but Iím pretty forgetful, but think game does a decent job of pointing you in a direction.

Havenít recruited anyone yet or even really looked into it, not sure what advantages there are too it other than bolstering up a way of playing or helping you out on a map with certain enemy types.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2019 11:47:05 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Yeah, I figured out Dancer pretty much right away. Very useful class indeed. I put Dorothea as my Dancer and generally have her follow Edelgard around the battlefield. My Edelgard is well armoured and hits like a truck, but isn't exactly awash with movement speed, so that extra move/action is very handy indeed.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Aug 2019 12:52:35 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah Dancer is consistently one of the more useful classes in these games. I usually give Boots (or whatever the +movement item is) to the Dancer, so they can zip around more easily.

I chose Fleyn as mine, though I wish I'd chosen Dorothea. Her sword abilities would come in handy for it.
  • GloatingSwine 11 Aug 2019 15:17:35 3,822 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3 Yeah, I figured out Dancer pretty much right away. Very useful class indeed. I put Dorothea as my Dancer and generally have her follow Edelgard around the battlefield. My Edelgard is well armoured and hits like a truck, but isn't exactly awash with movement speed, so that extra move/action is very handy indeed.
    Secretly, Edelgard is the best Dancer. She has the highest Charm growth and cap of any student, so Sword Dance on her would be apocalyptic.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Aug 2019 18:51:50 20,831 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I think I'm at the part where I'm going to have to start killing the students I wasn't able to recruit before. I think I'll get the professor to do the deed as much as possible, it's only fair.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.