Fire Emblem: Three Houses Page 22

• Mola_Ram 14 Aug 2019 09:17:54 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    Mages are awesome in this game, especially once you build up Lysethia and Marianne who can both nuke a fucker halfway across the map.
    Yeah, mages are great, but imo there's still way too many of them.

One thing I'm hoping for in DLC is a few new Master classes. The ones they have are fine, but they're pretty limited.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:19:27 14-08-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Aug 2019 09:46:18 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd like more non-mounted master classes. Needing to level up riding or flying for so many of them is a real chore. I'd particularly like a few more "heavy infantry" style options.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Aug 2019 10:03:22 7,716 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I'd like more non-mounted master classes. Needing to level up riding or flying for so many of them is a real chore. I'd particularly like a few more "heavy infantry" style options.
    I dunno, i can kinda understand why they are making more mounted units (you have the option to dismount them as well btw). My highest level units are my two fliers because they just zoom all over the map picking people off whereas the rest of the squad slowly inch forward.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Aug 2019 13:00:03 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Beat the game as Black Eagle and now in NG+ as Golden Deer. Suspect I may have done this in the wrong order, as the Black Eagle route very much feels like the "true end" route.

It's nice being able to boost straight to A-Rank professor right off the bat. Recruited Bernadetta at the end of the first week and fairly confident I'll manage to get all of the recruitable students this time around.
  • jack5255 17 Aug 2019 21:07:28 826 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Beat the game as Black Eagle and now in NG+ as Golden Deer. Suspect I may have done this in the wrong order, as the Black Eagle route very much feels like the "true end" route.

It's nice being able to boost straight to A-Rank professor right off the bat. Recruited Bernadetta at the end of the first week and fairly confident I'll manage to get all of the recruitable students this time around.
    Same route i took for my first game/ng+. Currently chapter 9 with golden deer and the dancer tournament about to start.

The professor boost is really handy though, not to mention the renown progress carrying over.

Lysithea has been a beast in my Golden Deer team too, think she could already pass as either a black knight/mortal savant but not levelled enough. Got hilda on the way to great knight and raphael heading towards war master(?)

Still so much fun though even just with new characters
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Aug 2019 23:31:41 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @jack5255 Hilda's an absolute monster in my NG+. Ironic given that her character-type is "slacker". I'm only in chapter 5, but have her as an armoured knight and she is pretty much invincible.

Recruited a fair few other characters. So much easier in NG+.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Aug 2019 06:41:46 7,716 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @jack5255 Hilda's an absolute monster in my NG+. Ironic given that her character-type is "slacker". I'm only in chapter 5, but have her as an armoured knight and she is pretty much invincible.

Recruited a fair few other characters. So much easier in NG+.
    I have her as my wyvern rider and she just destroys everyone.
  • JoelStinty 18 Aug 2019 08:52:30 8,073 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How critical Is recruiting? I haven't done so yet, as I quite like having my group of students and thats it. I'm on the chapter after you find Flayn and Monica and the game hasn't really encouraged me to do so.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Aug 2019 09:07:26 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JoelStinty You can beat the game without doing any recruiting if you don't want to. However, there are two reasons why you might want to start nabbing students from other houses.

First, it can add a bit more depth and flexibility to your team. While none of the houses are completely unbalanced in terms of their starting lineups and while re-orienting characters away from their initial role is possible, getting an ideal team (which is both balanced and has every character playing to their strengths) will require some mix-and-match between houses.

Second, any students you don't recruit during the game's first year will re-appear as enemies later in the game and you will have to kill them (capture is not an option). This makes the missions in question harder and... well... if you had any attachment at all to these characters, it's going to feel unpleasant.

Note that while the game implies that recruiting characters is based on your stats (when trying to recruit and failing, the game will suggest two stats the character cares about), this is only half of the story. You can also just raise affection levels with characters via more traditional means - gifts, lost items, sharing food, choir practice, taking them along as guest characters on missions. If there's a character you want to nab from another house, then you ideally want to be chasing both the stats and the affection level (and the latter is easier than the former). Because both of these are cumulative, recruiting characters gets more doable the further you get along the calendar.

Also... I've seen some confusion on this elsewhere. Each house has two characters who aren't recruitable - the leader and their closest companion. So for Black Dragons, thats's Edelgard and Hubert, for Blue Lions it's Dmitri and Dedue and for Golden Deer it's Claude and Hilda. You can't give them gifts/lost items or have them as guests for missions. You can eat or do choir practice with them, but it's a waste of an activity slot.
  • ghearoid 18 Aug 2019 09:21:41 3,230 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You can recruit Hilda though. She'll join you on missions and accepts gifts etc. She was awesome in my play through, I made her my wyvern rider and she slayed. "Hilda! Hilda!"

Edited by ghearoid at 09:22:14 18-08-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Aug 2019 09:31:57 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    You can recruit Hilda though. She'll join you on missions and accepts gifts etc. She was awesome in my play through, I made her my wyvern rider and she slayed. "Hilda! Hilda!"
    Ah, just checked and it seems the non-recruitable characters vary per route. Hilda is recruitable as Blue Lions, but not as Black Eagle.

Edit: Also, apparently if you play as a female protagonist, Sylvain is pretty much a "free" recruitment. That would explain why I could nab him so early in my first playthrough (but not my NG+, as I've gone for the male protagonist this time).

Edit2: Looks like Hubert and Dedue are always non-recruitable, though. Also, nobody really seems to confidently understand teacher recruitment yet. It's unclear whether it's affection-based (they have no stat checks) or just pre-determined depending on route.

Edited by Rogueywon at 09:37:28 18-08-2019
  • Mola_Ram 18 Aug 2019 09:37:24 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah Sylvain is a horndog.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Aug 2019 09:38:20 7,716 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Rogueywon I have Hilda in my blue lions play through, I had thought she was in recruitable but I 100% have her.

ahh just read your most recent post.

I have recruited hannaman and the Man Utd in both playthroughs. I thought it was based on your result in the battle of the lion

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 09:41:40 18-08-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Aug 2019 09:39:56 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Yeah, see above. She goes recruitable after Chapter 3 in Blue Lions and Chapter 12 in Black Eagles but ONLY if you side with the Church against Edelgard. She is unrecruitable in the "main" Black Eagles route.
  • JoelStinty 18 Aug 2019 10:28:02 8,073 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @JoelStinty You can beat the game without doing any recruiting if you don't want to. However, there are two reasons why you might want to start nabbing students from other houses.

First, it can add a bit more depth and flexibility to your team. While none of the houses are completely unbalanced in terms of their starting lineups and while re-orienting characters away from their initial role is possible, getting an ideal team (which is both balanced and has every character playing to their strengths) will require some mix-and-match between houses.

Second, any students you don't recruit during the game's first year will re-appear as enemies later in the game and you will have to kill them (capture is not an option). This makes the missions in question harder and... well... if you had any attachment at all to these characters, it's going to feel unpleasant.

Note that while the game implies that recruiting characters is based on your stats (when trying to recruit and failing, the game will suggest two stats the character cares about), this is only half of the story. You can also just raise affection levels with characters via more traditional means - gifts, lost items, sharing food, choir practice, taking them along as guest characters on missions. If there's a character you want to nab from another house, then you ideally want to be chasing both the stats and the affection level (and the latter is easier than the former). Because both of these are cumulative, recruiting characters gets more doable the further you get along the calendar.

Also... I've seen some confusion on this elsewhere. Each house has two characters who aren't recruitable - the leader and their closest companion. So for Black Dragons, thats's Edelgard and Hubert, for Blue Lions it's Dmitri and Dedue and for Golden Deer it's Claude and Hilda. You can't give them gifts/lost items or have them as guests for missions. You can eat or do choir practice with them, but it's a waste of an activity slot.
    Thanks for that, there are a few characters that I have looked at to balanced my team out a little bit, and for affection reasons too. I will probably try and recruit a few people at least.
  • Dombat 18 Aug 2019 10:59:37 1,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can tell in game which characters you can't recruit as you can't give them gifts or lost items (as said above) and they aren't listed in the support menu.
  • jack5255 18 Aug 2019 11:37:07 826 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon haha just bumped her up to fortress knight with a silver axe+, itís like trolling
  • Garfy 18 Aug 2019 13:46:00 1,384 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Step 1: Send Edelgard forward
    Step 2: Win

I like to give all my characters a go at killin tho

Go on Bernadetta, get blooded!!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Aug 2019 14:06:23 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Garfy Except Edelgard gets torn to pieces by casters.

Bernadetta, however, is clearly Best Girl.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Aug 2019 14:12:24 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to trying out some of the other classmates that I murdered in this playthrough.
  • Murbs 18 Aug 2019 21:42:28 24,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Man, Dorothea just ripped Ferdinand a new one. It was glorious!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Aug 2019 21:44:00 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Murbs Hah, those two have some fun scenes. I quite like Ferdinand, though. He seems like an arsehole at first, but once you get to his later support conversations, he really isn't.

He ended up married to Bernadetta in the epilogue to my Black Eagles playthrough, which is kinda foreshadowed by his final support conversation with her.
  • THFourteen 20 Aug 2019 13:49:49 52,820 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not sure i'm digging this very much. And interestingly, its not the bits that you might think...

I am enjoying the storyline, and having tea parties, and recruiting characters, and the dialogue and interaction, none of that is actually feeling like a chore to me!

But the missions, urgh, every time i have to do a mission it just seems like a pointless slog with no brainpower required. Its just like how can i get the nearest baddy to attack me, or tbh i am so overpowerd i can just charge straight towards them with Dedue and take a few hits. Most of the time they miss anyway.

Wish i had played on hard now. CBA to replay the last 20 hours, am about chapter 8 now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Aug 2019 14:10:26 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @THFourteen I doubt it's the difficulty that's the problem for you. The game's issue is that the combat just feels like it's missing an extra layer or two of systems to keep things interesting. As Strategy RPGs go, it's a fairly thin set of mechanics. Disgaea has its combo systems and deeply nested mechanics. Super Robot Wars has its morale and support mechanics. Fire Emblem... doesn't have much really.

Playing on hard probably wouldn't make it any more fun - it'd just increase the frustration. It's still just about luring the enemy into attacking you one at a time or in small groups.

I really enjoyed the game, but the combat was the weakest thing about it.
  • RelaxedMikki 20 Aug 2019 15:50:24 3,118 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a similar issue. Enjoying the story, presentation, gameplay etc. All in all a very pleasant way to unwind.

But I am playing on Normal and my team is severely over-levelled. I have a bunch of characters at level 30+ whilst missions are around level 25. Which means we can safely take on any number of enemies and just instakill-counter-attack them as they keep missing us...
  • Mola_Ram 20 Aug 2019 15:57:41 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fire Emblem had plenty of depth, but it was more focused on positioning than having the right combination of skills equipped or whatever.

And I think things like removing the weapon triangle, making permadeath optional and increasing grinding opportunities have removed that uniqueness to an extent. It's become closer to things like FF Tactics or Disgaea, but without the systems to enable it to really be able to compete with them on the same playing field.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Aug 2019 16:16:01 7,716 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I miss the pairing from the last two.

It made the positioning alot more important as opposed to, oh i will pair you two so i can get the skit. I appreciate there is meant to be bonuses based on positioning but it isnt super visible and now that you making your move locks it into place you dont get to see what the benefits will be until the move is made.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Aug 2019 16:16:06 6,369 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The other thing I miss in Fire Emblem compared to other SRPGs is the opportunity to completely break the systems. Disgaea takes this to ludicrous extremes and the whole meta-game is basically an exercise in learning how to exploit the game mechanics. You can set things up so you're gaining hundreds or even thousands of levels from a single kill. Even in more mainstream SRPGs, there are usually some neat tricks to find - in NG+ in Super Robot Wars V, I managed to beat the final phase of the last mission in a single turn moving just two units (Yamato and Villkiss) by exploiting a few upgrades and buffs, alongside the Extra Action command and their AoE attacks.

In Fire Emblem, it's not that difficult to get over-levelled, but it's mostly just down to grinding rather than finding ways to out-smart the systems.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Aug 2019 16:17:42 7,716 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    . You can set things up so you're gaining hundreds or even thousands of levels from a single kill .
    I could never get this to work :(
  • ChiefGB 20 Aug 2019 16:24:54 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are those that are overlevelled, doing too many free missions etc?. Arenít these only really there to grind or catch up levels with recruits? it certainly seems they arenít necessary.
    I mean, if so, I understand that it takes a while to get out on the field and you are all entitled to make the most out of your purchase but maybe itís not helping yourselves?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.