Fire Emblem: Three Houses Page 23

• Mola_Ram 20 Aug 2019 16:29:54 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get very little pleasure from "breaking" an SRPG. To me, games like FF:T and Disgaea feel like work, and there's something about the FE formula that really spoke to me.

I think limitations are what do it - give me too much freedom and I get overwhelmed and eventually bored. But a set number of possibilities enable me to puzzle it out. The epitome of that approach is something like Into the Breach (though it's not really an RPG in any sense), and it's no surprise that ItB is probably my #1 game of the last year or two.
  • RelaxedMikki 20 Aug 2019 16:35:53 3,118 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ChiefGB

I guess I was doing the "free" side missions because they were there and I enjoyed them. There was no real plan to it. Didn't realise they were over levelling me until it was too late.

Now you say it, it makes sense that you should only really be using the side missions to allow new recruits to catch up levels. I will stick to that approach from now on.
  • Dombat 20 Aug 2019 17:04:23 1,635 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They really should have advertised normal mode as being for people that are playing for the story only and want no challenge. IIRC it was made out that hard mode was really for veterans and I didn't want the game to be intimidatingly difficult.

Instead it turns out that hard is too easy for veterans and normal is too easy for newcomers approaching an average level of gaming competence.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Aug 2019 17:05:28 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I think there are various different turn-based strategy game traditions getting mixed up here.

If you look over the history of the genre, there are basically three broad types of TBS games. First you've got the "hardcore military" ones, which were basically first on the scene. They're mostly on PC - think those old hex-based historical series with manuals the size of a telephone directory, or the slightly more accessible Battle Isle series (excluding Incubation). They give you dozens or even hundreds of units to manage and make you worry about logistics, supply lines and so on.

Then you've got the "puzzle" variant, of which Into the Breach is a recent example, though I'd probably have gone for Advance Wars as the exemplar.

And then you've got the RPG variety - think Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics - which make RPG mechanics a much bigger part of the game and often challenge you to try to "break" them.

FE:3H's problem is that it doesn't really commit properly to any of the above. It doesn't have the scale needed to be a "military" strategy game. It doesn't have the intricate level design and interlocking systems needed to be the "puzzle" kind. And its RPG mechanics are too shallow to sustain it as the "RPG" type. So the combat just ends up a bit character-less and unsatisfying.

Bear in mind, I'm saying this in the context of a game I really liked and gave a 9/10 in the completed games thread after I finished it. But getting it to a 10 would, for me, have required a bit more investment in adding depth and character to the combat, whether by going for larger armies, more intricate level design or more developed RPG mechanics.
  • Dombat 20 Aug 2019 17:07:41 1,635 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As for overlevelling, I think I've done one free side mission on an early chapter. I've generally just stuck to the quest/paralogue missions, picking the battle option mostly once but occasionally twice a month.

Essentially I've not grinded at all and a whole bunch of my house are overpowered.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Aug 2019 17:08:05 7,716 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dombat Hard mode has difficulty spikes!!!

They should have ironed them out a little first.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Aug 2019 17:10:06 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon I know what you are saying, I was just saying that previous games in the series were more of the "puzzle" type. And that's what is really up my alley. I don't actually disagree about the combat in Three Houses (though I still like it).
  • JoelStinty 20 Aug 2019 19:39:21 8,073 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After kind of finding out what happens in the game to some regard (donít know the full details, but enough to get an idea) itís actually quite sinister strolling around the monastery deciding who you are going to save or not.
  • ChiefGB 20 Aug 2019 20:49:58 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki itís cool, Iím not trying to dig anyone out, and understand because the missions are few and far between depending on how you play it. Iíve played a share of them too.
  • jack5255 21 Aug 2019 08:01:52 826 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Itís a shame that thereís only been mention of the full DLC details (as far as iím aware) and that balances and smaller missions arenít being dropped randomly.

Iíve not played my ng+ for a few days mostly due to being busy at working and having early nights but its almost like i know whatís coming now with the battles and what i have to prepare for.

Its still fun as hell when playing after 60 hours, just missing that little bit extra that could really pull me back every night
  • Duffking 21 Aug 2019 11:22:58 16,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The new difficulty is rumoured for shortly after launch so I reckon I'll do a second playthrough when that's available.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Aug 2019 05:10:45 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    The new difficulty is rumoured for shortly after launch so I reckon I'll do a second playthrough when that's available.
    Yes, this is what I will probably do as well. I'm nearing the end of the Blue Lions route (I think), and will hold off NG+ until Lunatic or whatever it is comes out.

I hope it will be something more interesting than just "give enemies more stats". Having extra objectives in battle would be nice, for example, or reducing the availability of Divine Pulses.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Aug 2019 09:14:29 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Taking things slow in NG+ to see as many of the support conversations etc as possible. I'm now at the start of the month that culminates in the Eagle/Lion thingy and have recruited all but one of the possible students from other houses. Just Ferdinand hanging on and being stubborn.
  • Murbs 22 Aug 2019 09:15:54 24,346 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Still fairly early doors for me. Just acquired the sword of the creator.

Still enjoying it immensely - though it surprises me to say I'm likely enjoying time out of battle even more than the battles themselves, which really surprises me. Love building those relationships!
  • Duffking 22 Aug 2019 10:54:52 16,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram according to some data mines enemies inflict a lot more status effects in it and have better gear etc

Bosses also move around the map rather than wait for you to attack

Edited by Duffking at 10:55:15 22-08-2019
  • THFourteen 22 Aug 2019 11:09:46 52,820 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Bosses also move around the map rather than wait for you to attack
    I mean who designed it this way?

Imma boss I too fat and lazy to move, you come to me.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Aug 2019 11:49:19 7,716 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @THFourteen ITs made that way so the big fat boss who can one shot weaker units doesn't just charge across the map and wipe out your archer/caster/healer. It also gives you time to grind out kills before you end the mission.
  • Lukree 23 Aug 2019 22:37:53 497 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Holy shit - I already knew this in advance, but this game doesnít let me play the game. Endless dialog, too big boobs and monastery adventures prevents me from seeing the actual game hidden here somewhere. Hopefully there IS a game somewhere!
  • Duffking 23 Aug 2019 23:05:15 16,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    did you like not research the game at all before buying it or something
  • Lukree 24 Aug 2019 22:37:38 497 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The battle view is SUPER messy. Itís impossible to figure oit who is next to who. Or to see the life bar. Grid doesnít help at all. Grrrr! Old grumpy man should go back to Advance Wars.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Aug 2019 22:40:37 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zoom out, and shift the camera so it's overhead. That solved most of the problems for me (though it's annoying to have to do it at the start of every battle).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Aug 2019 23:04:21 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Almost up to the timeskip in NG+ now. Have obtained all recruitable characters. Golden Deer route does feel a bit limp after Black Eagle.

Suspect I won't be doing an NG++ as Blue Lion right away. I'll wait for all of the DLC to hit, then come back to it.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:04:52 24-08-2019
  • Mola_Ram 31 Aug 2019 08:17:53 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And... done. The Blue Lions route. I'll probably wait until the difficulty update before doing NG+, because Hard just wasn't that hard overall. I still had a great time though!

Random thoughts:

I still think they're way too generous with Divine Pulses. I'll try to self-limit using them the next time around, but I'd prefer if the game did that instead.

UI is a mess. I know that there's a lot of systems to juggle now, but surely there must be a more logical way to organise it.

I want more maps, with different enemy types and maybe more objectives on them. Those auxiliary battles are dull, dull, dull. Hopefully DLC will sort it.

Battalions are a cool idea, but they're too powerful in your hands, and just bloody annoying in the enemy's hands. They discourage you from making defensive formations with your units, and I don't like that at all.

I like the weapon durability system. But it almost never seems worth using the combat arts, unless they give you an anti-something modifier on the attack. On fast units, more often they do less damage than normal attacks, and that shouldn't be the case.

And I think overall, I don't particularly like the Monastery. I don't hate it either, but it gets pretty dull wandering around the same place after several months.

I know most of that sounds pretty negative, but I do genuinely think it's the best Fire Emblem we've had in a while. I was tempted to say "better than Awakening", but I do still miss the weapon triangle.
  • ChiefGB 31 Aug 2019 08:30:36 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surely if you feel thereís too many divine pulses, then that means you are using them often. I can only assume this means the game is outthinking you or hitting like a truck, doesnít this imply hard is going itís job?. If so the difficulty must come down to the pulses, how would have felt about the difficulty if you had none?
    Maybe this is what they should have done with hard mode.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Aug 2019 08:42:02 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The difficulty problem is partly a result of those, partly map design, partly the ease of grinding (even on Hard), and partly because of overpowered abilities and battalions. Hopefully the update will do something interesting with those things.

But my main issue with Divine Pulses is that having so many of them every single battle changes the psychology of how I play. It makes me far less cautious, because I know that if I fuck up I can just rewind basically as many times as I want. Drastically reducing them to a handful would bring back some of that tension.

I do think they're a great idea overall. Just that they should be more limited somehow.
  • Dombat 31 Aug 2019 08:43:04 1,635 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I agree with all the negatives you highlight. I did really enjoy the Monastery stuff to begin with but it becomes a bit tedious later on.

Would like to wrap up my first playthrough soon so I can move onto something else for a while before I get bored. (I don't normally bother with NG+ in games and while I'm motivated still with this game I don't want to get sick of it.)
  • ChiefGB 31 Aug 2019 09:14:03 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually found the pulses confusing to use at times, this probably comes from the overlay they use which makes it harder to see whatís going in iirc Iíve not played it for a week or so.
    Really enjoying it but Iím at that point that if I donít go back soon game will end up dropped, just Iíve been too busy at work and too tired outside it to concentrate on this.

Edited by ChiefGB at 09:15:43 31-08-2019
  • Mola_Ram 31 Aug 2019 09:23:22 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And the other thing about Divine Pulses, is that they kind of make Classic Mode pointless. You used to spend an hour on a battle, only to make a mistake and lose someone, and then have a tough decision about whether to restart or soldier on without the character. But now there's no decision at all - you just use the developer-approved save-scum.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Aug 2019 09:26:10 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mola_Ram To be honest, that's one particular decision I'm happy to see the back of.

Nearly finished NG+ now (Golden Deer route). Have got almost everybody into a top-tier class - one thing I'd really, really like to see via DLC would be some more top-end class options. Having to make sure you are taking riding or flying skill on so many of your characters is annoying.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Aug 2019 09:31:23 21,246 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As far as I can tell, the only real benefit to infantry over rider classes is that you can use gauntlets. And that's great, but really not enough, given how flexible riders are with better movement, attack + move, and the ability to dismount if they get in trouble.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.