Following PES 2020 Page 20

• robc84 5 Oct 2019 23:10:59 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scored a pretty hilarious goal in my first game cup match.

I had spent the 90 minutes getting battered by West Brom but held on for xtra time. They scored and I thought I was done. Then 117 minutes in their GK threw the ball out and as he was doing it a defender walked across its path. It smashed him in the head. He fell over and I was left with a simple finish. I won on penalties \o/
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Oct 2019 23:26:02 22,834 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    \o/
  • robc84 6 Oct 2019 07:14:57 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was trying to work out if it was stupid or realistic for stuff like that to happen in the game. It certainly seems like something that would happen to spurs at the moment.
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2019 09:24:24 90,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You must have saved that?!
  • robc84 7 Oct 2019 09:33:13 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sadly I did not :(

As expected I'm really struggling on ML top player. Scoring goals is incredibly difficult. Determined to stick with though. Think I just need half a season for the team spirit to increase and I should be off and running.

Those cut scenes though. Just so so bad. I wish they'd spent the time they did doing that doing something useful. Like adding a no regen option or improving the commentary.
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2019 09:43:22 90,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye, or creating a decent offline mode for MyClub.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2019 10:38:30 21,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has any noticed it sometimes gets confused as to who's winning? Like sometimes the team who wins are all consoling each other at the end? My keeper just came up for a corner in the 85th minute there while I was 1 nil up.
  • robc84 7 Oct 2019 12:12:51 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Decks

Not that I've seen. How do you get your keeper to go up? I assume it is when you have your attacking intent set at the highest level (where you press d pad up or down twice to adjust)? I'm guessing if its set to highest your keeper goes up regardless of score. Maybe.
  • Tuffty 7 Oct 2019 23:34:10 4,399 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So what is the point in chipped through shots in this game? Because when I hold L1 and tap triangle, it may as well be a shot on goal, with the ball going 10-20 yards further than I wanted it too. I feel like this game is missing the practice mode from the previous games, because I really struggle with this game on Pro difficulty. I'm getting completely dominated in every ML game, I get fouled for basic contact on another player, passes go wayward, defense stands still half the time. I feel like I need to look this up on Youtube or something, because it doesn't feel right to me at all. I have to be missing something.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2019 05:39:15 90,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've scored a couple of chipped goals but only really dinks over the keeper as they've come out.

Misplaced passes is a problem, even when I'm sure I aimed correctly. Played about with the switching settings to unassisted which helped with defence wandering around aimlessly but is still broken compared to the PS2 games.
  • THFourteen 8 Oct 2019 06:24:22 53,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Tuffty

Are you setting up your team with all average+ arrows before the game? I use the auto-team selector option.

I found this was the biggest cause of sluggish players with misplaced passes for me. Like a 65ovr player was better than a 75ovr player if the arrows were up vs down. Stupid.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2019 06:53:55 90,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's always been the way of PES though.
  • robc84 8 Oct 2019 07:39:04 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep. Itís annoying but I find it not really to be an issue most of the time. You do get games where most your players are on a red arrow though and thatís really annoying.

Maybe iím just used to it after all these years.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 07:45:08 21,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a way to force you to have a good squad rather than just a good starting 11 I guess. That being said I could definitely do with them toning some of the scripting bullshit in ML.

Although now my team is at 97 I'm just steamrolling teams. 10 wins in a row scoring 4 or 5 a game sometimes. Don't really want to turn it up to Superstar as I've never found it fun in the past.
  • Tuffty 8 Oct 2019 08:20:53 4,399 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I definitely check the game plan before a match and take out players that are less than an average arrow. I've played on Pro difficulty in PES 2O16 and 2018 and havent had nearly as much difficulty as I am now, to the point where I feel like there are mechanics in this years game which I'm just missing out on somehow. Either that or player positioning and conditioning is so much more emphasised than ever now. If I want to do a standing tackle by pressing x twice, it may as well be gifting a free kick to the opposition. Refs in this game even give a free kick on the slightest bit of shoulder to shoulder contact. Cant create attacking chances because players misplace passes or a through ball goes much much further than intended, straight at defense.

I appreciate its probably my ML players utter shit and maybe I'm also utter shit, it just feels like you really have to dig deep into the mechanics this year, creative dribbling and what have you, but it's hard to do when PES 'help' section is so fucking bad even after all this time. I should probably bite the bullet and play on regular, see how that goes.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2019 08:31:25 90,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    FWIW, I've found very little difference between Pro and Top Player. Still all quite tight.
  • Tuffty 8 Oct 2019 09:17:45 4,399 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now that is something I needed to hear. Thank you. I'm wondering if sprinting before making shots, through passes is what's causing them to mess up so much, but I kind of have to otherwise the ball gets taken off me. Do you guys use the new dribbling system much, the one where you hold down the right trigger?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 09:26:37 21,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I generally just play a passing game. 1-2's to open up space. I use sprint a lot, don't really use the new dribbling thing, just normal dribbling and change of pace to get passed people.

What team did you start ML with?
  • Tuffty 8 Oct 2019 09:43:41 4,399 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The default shit players you start off with like Rice, Pallister, Arcas etc. Modified the custom league to make my own off the N.Irish Premiership, I have maybe 3-4 teams at 3 and a half star max so I'm not against any major teams. Though it feels like it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 09:49:24 21,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah that's going to be a slog. Passing and shooting will be all over the place until you start getting a better team together. Even with the default Newcastle players it was difficult getting anything to flow at first. Maybe drop it to regular for a season.
  • Tuffty 8 Oct 2019 10:12:05 4,399 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like a good idea. Though I do like the story in my head of Maradona doing such a shit job managing Ballymena Utd because hes massively off his head on coke. Will be curious to see what happens if I do get the sack and potentially and take on the role at whatever club comes next.
  • Joyless_Man 8 Oct 2019 10:26:00 317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's a way to force you to have a good squad rather than just a good starting 11 I guess. That being said I could definitely do with them toning some of the scripting bullshit in ML.

Although now my team is at 97 I'm just steamrolling teams. 10 wins in a row scoring 4 or 5 a game sometimes. Don't really want to turn it up to Superstar as I've never found it fun in the past.
    Ever since the early ps2 games, me and my friends have always had a rule where you have to play ML on 6 star (Superstar I think now), and with the default teams. It teaches you how to play the game.

Sadly you can't do that now as you'll get sacked after one season as your team spirit won't increase much if you don't win games.

I've turned it down to top player and it's a decent level until you get better players and team spirit. I feel like a fraud though.

I played legend difficulty last year a bit which is just a joke. AI defenders basically have infinite stamina and pace even in the 90th minute. It's a bit galling when you sub on fresh legs neymar with 91 pace and phil jones can make up about 20 yards off a through ball with no stamina left.

I hate the way the AI plays in general. Particularly this year where they shield the ball and skirt around your box while your 2 DMF's try to tackle them. If you do win the ball the ref will give a foul. You try and do it and its perfectly fine. The refs seem pretty wank this year.

Generally it's still a fun game to play but it hasn't really evolved in 3 years. I don't think I'll buy it again until they have a major overhaul rather than these patch level tweaks which they charge full price for every 12 months.
  • souvlaki 8 Oct 2019 10:43:41 949 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I generally just play a passing game. 1-2's to open up space. I use sprint a lot, don't really use the new dribbling thing, just normal dribbling and change of pace to get passed people.

Me too, on top player - playing standard teams, no ML.
  • robc84 8 Oct 2019 10:44:50 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm doing top player with default shit players. It's a bit of a slog, but weirdly enjoyable :)

Arcas, Castledine and Giorza are always awesome though. I've added in a few decent free transfers and hopefully I can add a few more in the January window and come strong in the second half of the season.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2019 13:19:28 90,576 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I now feel a fraud for not using the default players.
  • robc84 8 Oct 2019 13:23:37 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As well you should dougs.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 13:30:24 21,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What ratings are they on average? 60's, 70's?
  • robc84 8 Oct 2019 13:43:57 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mostly in mid to high 60s. A few in the 70s and a few in low 60s. Possibly a couple in the high 50s but you can offload the lowest rated ones and bring in a few free transfers in the 70s.
  • robc84 8 Oct 2019 13:46:12 13,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I bought in Kvist (DM), M.Connolly (CB), Rodwell (CM) and Mceachran (CM) on free and promoted a couple of youth players who were upgrades on what I had.
  • monkman76 9 Oct 2019 08:28:28 15,117 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is already on sale on PSN - £32. That seems very soon after release!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.