I feel like I am getting worse and slow at video games now

First Previous
  • TitanWarlord93 22 Jun 2019 22:54:00 472 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I am only 25 years of age and I love video games so much and I have been gaming for a number of years. I used to complete a lot of games in my time but right now for some reason I couldn't complete video games because I feel they are getting harder for me. It's like I'm getting less interest in gaming the more I play it even though I enjoy playing it.

Confusing right??

I know a lot of friends a similar age to me that has work and life commitments that has able to spare a couple of hours gaming and more on weekends and has been able to complete games and even I am struggling with even the most simplest of things.

I feel like now I am less improving than I used to at my early days of gaming. Right now I am finding online multiplayer games to be more enioyable than single player games and still I am not good at them like I used to.

So out of interest I was wondering if anyone is going through the same phase and maybe give advice on how to deal with it and get the excitement feeling back into gaming. Just wanna know your thoughts.

• Jono62 22 Jun 2019 23:00:42 26,762 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm been through that and now I hardly play any games but that is partly due to me having less time to play. If I do play, I play something I enjoy such as Splatoon MP rather than a single player game.

My advice would be don't get married.

I'm 38
  • Nanocrystal 22 Jun 2019 23:23:05 2,386 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also 38, married, and enjoy games as much as ever. My advice would be don't have kids!
  • challenge_hanukkah 22 Jun 2019 23:25:59 14,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm old and should be dead soon.
  • elstoof 22 Jun 2019 23:30:45 27,034 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just buy the games then leave them in the wrapper while you decide what to play, and watch TV insread
  • DangerousDave_87 22 Jun 2019 23:33:57 6,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Your abilities won't be diminishing all that much. Its also the kids who are between 13 and 30 who live at home with their parents, have no job, consume copious amounts of caffeine and sugar, and have an almost infinite amount of time to dedicate to just a single game. They are plenty, spanning every popular game you can imagine and you will never be able to compete with them.

I still remember a year after Bad Company 2 released the guy at the top of the rankings was averaging 8 hours of play time every day for a solid year.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 23:34:25 22-06-2019
  • Ror 23 Jun 2019 00:07:11 20,322 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm ten years older than you and better at Halo than I've ever been. But then, I'd bloody want to be, given how much I play it.
  • ZuluHero 23 Jun 2019 00:22:29 10,095 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    40 here. I thought that it was me too, then I played RE2:Remake and realised that games had changed, not me.

They became too big, too long and too much like hard work. I just never noticed the gradual shift to nearly every game this gen becoming epic open world adventures, requiring some serious dedication to see them through.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jun 2019 00:30:18 17,132 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't really have the time to commit to a lot of games these days so I'm super selective and tend to play for relaxation rather than challenge.

Easier modes get used a lot more than they used to. And I've got a lot more time for puzzle and adventure games than I did in the past.
  • Dirtbox 23 Jun 2019 02:57:02 92,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I don't remember being 25, so at least I know I was living my best life.
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jun 2019 06:53:51 10,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    34 and I have fallen asleep playing a video game more often than I would like to admit.
  • ZuluHero 23 Jun 2019 07:42:15 10,095 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haha yeah! I've woken at 3 in the morning with my thumb on the thumbstick and my character running against a wall! :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 07:42:30 23-06-2019
  • Deleted user 23 June 2019 07:52:11
    Iím 40 and have always loved car sims. My pace in them has dropped dramatically over the last decade. Retirement age should be 40!
  • Deleted user 23 June 2019 08:03:45
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I'm old and should be dead soon.
    Pretty much this.

Iím shite at games these days, probably due to failing sight, arthritis, a need to pee every 10 minutes, nodding off, and not being able to remember what the point of the game is nor who I am.

Also as Scooby Doo discovered, itís all those pesky kids fault.

Iím busy these days and donít have (or want to have to be honest) the time or lack of anything else. In my life that would allow me to reach the heights (depths) that I once did.

Where once I could play Goldeneye on the top level, now I canít be bothered with Doom 2016 as learning patterns , enemies and tactics is not for me. Plus Iím crap ;)

TLDR donít fret it. Do something else or put the game on easy mode. They are there to enjoy not to turn you into a trembling wreck of nerves (Daley Thompson Decathlon Iím looking at you).
  • THFourteen 23 Jun 2019 08:18:09 54,352 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I still manage to find time for gaming, especially with the Switch or other handheld consoles.

But I do sometimes feel like games I used to enjoy are a chore these days. Playi;g FFXII at the moment, hit a little wall and need grinding but Iím like urgh, what a waste of time.
  • richyroo 23 Jun 2019 09:11:50 559 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just turned 39 here last week. The last couple of years I have wondered when I will finally go ďoff the boilĒ and not be able to compete online anymore.

Truth is that it hasnít happened yet. Iím currently playing Dead or Alive 6 online and kicking arse. I completed Celeste last year and thoroughly enjoyed it considering itís difficulty.

I do get more impatient as I get older though. In my youth I would keep replaying a failed section hundreds of times until I had mastered It. Nowadays i just canít be arsed to dedicate that time required, I would rather move on and play something else.

I donít look forward to the day that my skills start to leave me, but the way Iím playing now I expect this is still some time off (thankfully).

Edited by richyroo at 09:14:31 23-06-2019
  • mothercruncher 23 Jun 2019 09:25:41 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Meh- itís not a career, itís a leisure activity.
  • Tomo 23 Jun 2019 10:36:38 19,180 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    40 here. I thought that it was me too, then I played RE2:Remake and realised that games had changed, not me.

They became too big, too long and too much like hard work. I just never noticed the gradual shift to nearly every game this gen becoming epic open world adventures, requiring some serious dedication to see them through.
    Yep. This is pretty much it for me too. Mainstream ones at least. Think I get even more joy out of indie games nowadays as they have fresh ideas and don't outstay their welcome.

That said, even in the last 6-12 months or so I've found myself wanting to play games but simultaneously getting bored very quickly. I've abandoned quite a few games recently if they don't hook me within 30 mins to an hour. Getting fussy with old age!

Heck, come to think of it, I think this is the first generation of Nintendo games where I've not finished the big Zelda and Mario games, which is a saddening thought.
  • d_h1234 23 Jun 2019 16:53:32 298 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I've abandoned quite a few games recently if they don't hook me within 30 mins to an hour. Getting fussy with old age!
    I'm 39, and I do the same exact thing. Even if it's a heavily discounted game for just a few quid, if it doesn't grab me within the two hour steam refund window I nearly always refund it.

I wasn't sure if I'm just getting tighter with money or pickier with age, but I definitely only give games one chance.

Hell last month's Humble Bundle only cost me half price (they really wanted me back I guess), so for six pounds I got CoD Whichever, and shortly after I played it a bit I felt gutted. The reveal of the final bundle games didn't help matters either.

Edited by d_h1234 at 16:54:53 23-06-2019
  • quadfather 23 Jun 2019 17:12:33 38,419 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait till some really serious shit starts happening and you'll soon appreciate gaming again. Everything will settle into place.
  • TitanWarlord93 23 Jun 2019 18:19:24 472 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Appreciated all the comments although this is leaning more towards on the skill side of things rather than finding the time alone.

You see in the good ol days I used to slay so bad at FPS games like Call Of Duty and Battlefield and also completed single players at regular and sometimes harder difficulties. Now I just seem to fall out of place and that makes me less interested in them.

At the same time I just love gaming because I find it more entertaining than watching TV shows and even films too. It also has so many benefits as long as it is done in moderation.

I suppose I could live with it and well I still enjoy gaming even now and will continue doing so for the forseeable future.
  • OnlyJoeKing 23 Jun 2019 20:10:00 1,227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Git gud, obviously
  • quadfather 23 Jun 2019 21:12:25 38,419 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TitanWarlord93

It's called getting older. You get used to it. Chill.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2019 21:42:22
    I sometimes feel like I'm getting worse, but it seems I don't actually. The problem is rather that it's harder to sustain, as in more exhausting. It seems I can still do it, but what was kind of child's play 20 years ago is really straining today and costing a lot of energy.
  • Ror 23 Jun 2019 21:56:27 20,322 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hence the sit-down weeing.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2019 22:12:04
    Oh come on, it's getting old
  • Ror 23 Jun 2019 22:20:14 20,322 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to offend.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2019 22:23:26
    None taken. Now excuse me while I'm going to the toilet without making a mess
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Jun 2019 22:36:18 12,913 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hate the feeling of my dick hitting the water when I stand to pee, you must be constantly drying your dick (also, why don't they build Dyson Airblade dryers wide enough to dry my dick)
  • Deleted user 23 June 2019 22:38:47
    So what does everyone think about the weather
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.