I feel like I am getting worse and slow at video games now Page 3

Next Last
  • RawShark 10 Apr 2021 10:40:31 1,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember the exact moment when I realised Iíd never play like I had before. I was 21, god dammit. I picked up a second hand copy of Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution having gotten to the finals of the VF2 UK championships when I was about 15. After a day or so getting back up to speed with the new mechanics something dawned on me - I had a dissertation to write. I could either spend hours on kumite mode getting gud again or I could study - I didnít have time for both.

I did the sensible thing and got my first. Never had the time to properly devote to games - especially fighting games - since. Anything that required more than button mashing was basically out of the question.

Although I did get addicted to a Final Fantasy game when living with a girlfriend for the first time. She took exception to me wanting to spend 8 hours+ on it a day. What a bitch.
  • bone-on 10 Apr 2021 11:01:25 735 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RawShark

Nothing like the pain of work and relationships to get in the way of gaming.

Not helped by most modern games being lengthy which doesn't help with the few hrs a night or week you get to play.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Apr 2021 11:08:21 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm absolutely slower and crappier...if that is even possible, why this very thread took me two days to access ;)

Back to being slow and worse, this is why I swear like a docker when playing Gears. I'm really too shite to play it...but what can you do.
  • RawShark 10 Apr 2021 11:14:30 1,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @bone-on yeah. I canít really be dealing with steep learning curves either. I think I tried sitting down with Persona 3 one time and as soon as Fusion came up I turned it off. Too much to pick up and not enough time.
  • Trafford 10 Apr 2021 11:29:03 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I doubt that I was ever any good, well at the reflex based button combo type games. But I still love them. Thank god for difficulty levels.
    I've had an enthusiasm for videogames for over 40 years, I'm 49 next month.
    Obviously I've had a few years off with this and that . My current situation means I've plenty of time to kick back work on that backlog but I only play for 2 or 3 hours a day.

Really happy that my two lads(19&17) who have matured into gamers with taste and Souls games veterans.
    I remember the eldest watching me beat Four Kings one afternoon, after that he was quietly hooked and showing me how it's done ☺️
    Both have got steady girlfriends as well.
    Very different than me!
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Apr 2021 11:32:56 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Trafford

49 next month...youth of today ;)
    1972 was a BOSS year to be born. Oh Yeah!
  • Trafford 10 Apr 2021 11:34:01 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Oh Yeah!
  • gammonbanter 10 Apr 2021 17:01:36 2,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Devolver Digital games get way more of a look in these days due to pick and play appeal! My heart sink when I see a game is open world or has a skill tree system.
  • djronz. 10 Apr 2021 17:42:44 490 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Devolver Digital games get way more of a look in these days due to pick and play appeal! My heart sink when I see a game is open world or has a skill tree system.
    Yep, those two things are instant turn offs for me, just can not be arsed with exploring (getting lost in) an open world game or messing around with menus and "crafting". I just want to press start and play, luckily VR games seem to lend them selves more to this style if game and also I've gone back and done a lot of retro gaming.
  • b-rk 10 Apr 2021 17:59:23 1,688 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm 45 (almost 46) and my reactions are still pretty sharp tbh, but I have high blood pressure and have to avoid certain types of games otherwise my heart feels like it's about to explode.

Gone are the days of beating people blindfolded at SF II.

/local arcade hero
  • Globalmeltdown 10 Apr 2021 18:23:47 1,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím 48 and Iím just the same as Iíve always been, racing games like Forza or wipeout Iím still quite competitive but games like Gears of war online or other online shooters Iím crap.
  • robthehermit 10 Apr 2021 19:11:35 8,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've never been great at games. Enthusiastic is probably the nicest thing you could say about my skills.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Apr 2021 21:18:44 10,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This has been my worst year so far... to the point that I havenít finished a single game this year.

So I decided I would focus on ff14 and see if it can git gud at the MMO before endwalkers release
  • Technoishmatt 10 Apr 2021 21:31:47 5,140 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I must say that for single player / campaign games, I also play at lower difficulty nowadays, due to lack of time. I think games are a bit more about a power fantasy now, want to feel more like an effortless hero. Real life is hard enough now as it is :)
  • quadfather 10 Apr 2021 21:45:23 38,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Trafford

49 next month...youth of today ;)
    1972 was a BOSS year to be born. Oh Yeah!
    Finally! Something I can relate to :)
  • JoeBlade 10 Apr 2021 22:23:20 6,036 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What is this, a wrinkly fans convention?
  • Dougs 10 Apr 2021 23:06:34 99,081 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    I've never been great at games. Enthusiastic is probably the nicest thing you could say about my skills.
    Yes, that sounds familiar
  • sirtacos 11 Apr 2021 03:08:40 8,279 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It could be any number of things. You don't have to force yourself to enjoy games again. You can step away for a while.

As I've gotten older, I've drifted away from heavily skill-based games, epic RPGs and open world 'tick-every-box-on-the-map' questathons. I simply don't have the time or willpower - bailing water off the perpetually sinking ship that is adult life has a way of sapping those from you.

I still play the likes of The Witcher, Red Dead 2, etc., and enjoy them tremendously when I can get into them, but now it takes me literally years to finish them.

I increasingly gravitate towards more leisurely games and shorter sessions. Multiplayer games that are easier to just pick up and play, like Superhot, Tekken, or Chivalry Medieval Warfare/Mordhau. Short indie titles like The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante, FTL, Outer Wilds... Grand strategy and sim / sandbox games: CK3, Kerbal Space Program...

Your tastes and preferences evolve, and as your life changes so will your relationship to videogames. Fortunately there's such an incredible abundance of good content out there, across such a wide spectrum of genres, that there will always be something to draw you back in and rekindle the magic.
  • Psiloc 11 Apr 2021 13:03:22 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Iím still in my 30s and not ashamed to admit playing on ďstory modeĒ some of the time these days
    Yep, that's me most of the time. Normally start off on whatever the default is, but feel no shame in turning it down.

I used to play stuff like Quake on nightmare mode FFS!
    That's me. I don't think I'm getting worse due to age, yet, but I'm definitely less inclined to spend the time to get good at something. If I allow myself to get stuck experience tells me that game is getting abandoned. That shit goes on easy mode these days. The shame I used to feel has completely and utterly disappeared
  • Psiloc 11 Apr 2021 13:05:27 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Iím still in my 30s
    By the way, just say "I'm 39".
  • MrWonderstuff 11 Apr 2021 14:27:38 3,573 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 nah 1969 was - landing on the moon FTW ;-). I can't be arsed with online competitive stuff anymore - much prefer my sedate RPGs and anything single player which doesn't go around punching you in the head repeatadly until you 'get gut' and 'learn the patterns'.
  • Globalmeltdown 11 Apr 2021 15:00:49 1,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1972 by far the greatest year the world has ever seen, the first scientific calculator the HP-35 was introduced at just £395 😊
  • Gregolution 11 Apr 2021 15:21:11 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm a spritely 45 and already gravitating towards turn based games
  • THFourteen 11 Apr 2021 16:55:33 54,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I go through phases of bouncing off every game I play until something randomly clicks and then I play it religiously for hours and hours. Most recently played about 80 hours of destiny 2 in 2 months and before that Football Manager 2021.

Just having the same with outriders and to some extent monster Hunter rise is growing on me too.

But I seem to be more tending towards games thesedays that donít necessarily have a good story, which is not what I used to play when I was younger. Stuff I can jump into and play a bit mindlessly seems to be the key.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 May 2021 08:10:07 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So I have just sacked off two games on the final Boss fights. Namely Destroy all humans and Far Cry3 classic.

DAH, has a 3 stage Boss fight, I can get to the last part but died on two Occasions, just could not be bothered or lack the skill to try another time.

FC3, I cleared upon original release on 360, but several years later/older I can't beat it. Tried about 5 times and again just can't be bothered or lack the skill.

Any game I play now, seems to need a Story mode for me to get to the credits!
  • Trafford 2 May 2021 08:24:47 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some of the bosses in Sekiro took me a week to beat. Christ knows how many times I failed at them.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 May 2021 08:41:16 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Trafford
    At least you beat them mate, my issue is I just can't be bothered anymore. This is totally "alien" to me as one thing I always did was get to end credits, even if I hated the game (I'm looking at you, Shellshock Nam 2)

Even up until last year I simply HAD to get to end credits, haven't really cared about Cheveo's/Trophies that much for several years (I do still like to pop them though) but "beating" the game, had to be done. Now, I lack the skill* many times and on other times I do not have the patience.

*I have never been a skilful player, but even with that I would say I am getting worse.
  • KD 2 May 2021 22:07:33 3,369 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of the main reason I mostly play a game on pc is the ability to break a game with a trainer when you just can't be bothered anymore with the campaign, also by passes mtx bullshit with some game like shadow of war.

Death Stranding may be next to be broken, I just can't be fucked to go on after a break but do want to see the story play out.
  • Gibroon 2 May 2021 22:16:43 2,549 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Returnal is really making me think my reflexes aren't up to the task anymore. I'm fairly persistent with constant fails having enjoyed dark souls and Hades etc but really struggling with this first boss.

I should leave it a day or two for my subconscious to compute the bullet hell.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.