Mario Maker 2 Page 5

  • yegon 1 Jul 2019 09:04:37 6,502 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK

    Regarding power ups depending on condition, does this answer your question? I donít make levels but happened to see this after reading your post.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c7leww/tip_for_new_makers_if_you_drag_a_mushroom_onto/
  • Navi 1 Jul 2019 09:15:22 347 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    @DakeyrasUK

    Regarding power ups depending on condition, does this answer your question? I donít make levels but happened to see this after reading your post.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c7leww/tip_for_new_makers_if_you_drag_a_mushroom_onto/
    Excellent, thanks yegon. I'll have to start using that for future levels.
  • DakeyrasUK 1 Jul 2019 10:58:01 4,267 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @yegon brilliant! Thanks for that!
  • atothewest 1 Jul 2019 10:59:59 1,098 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving this, but I guess I'll have to live in the hope that Nintendo will eventually allow us to build worlds rather than just courses for a lot longer still. Putting coins and 1-up mushrooms in your levels feels kinda futile when they're just one-offs :-( . I know they can still end up in "worlds", but it would be really nice to be able to design a bunch of related levels and group them together.

    Anyway, did my first level last night - which I think is a bit of a bastard :-(

    Super Mario Boy
    CVH-75N-QVF
  • DakeyrasUK 1 Jul 2019 11:06:24 4,267 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @atothewest yeah, it would be great to even be able to download levels and make them into worlds.

    Putting coins and 1 ups isnt futile though. If people play your level on endless mode they can get extra lives (max 3 per level) to help get through more levels.

    You can also exclude checkpoints and use them and coins as a clear condition.

    Also as Duffking says, use coins to nudge players in the correct direction, show them jump arcs etc.
  • atothewest 1 Jul 2019 11:09:08 1,098 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    @atothewest yeah, it would be great to even be able to download levels and make them into worlds.

    Putting coins and 1 ups isnt futile though. If people play your level on endless mode they can get extra lives (max 3 per level) to help get through more levels.

    You can also exclude checkpoints and use them and coins as a clear condition.

    Also as Duffking says, use coins to nudge players in the correct direction, show them jump arcs etc.
    Yes good point about the signposting!

    And yeah, I appreciate the endless mode thing - and does MM2 still have the thing where you can play a "world" made of a random mix of 7-8 user levels? I put a 1-up mushroom at the beginning of mine for that, to try to stop people hating me too much :)
  • DakeyrasUK 1 Jul 2019 14:31:39 4,267 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @atothewest Your level is evil!

    I gave it a good 40 or 50 goes. I managed to get about 70% through it 3 times. The bit with sliding down a wall and jumping for the ledge behind you, but it took too many goes to get back there to try out other ways of making the jump.

    Really like the way you can sprint at top speed through it though, pushing the buttons for just long enough and not too short a time!
  • DakeyrasUK 1 Jul 2019 20:08:24 4,267 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have started on my third level. Expect to be confused and lost!

    At least that is my hope... I wish you could have more than 4 in zone teleports/doors or that warp pipes didn't have to go to another map.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Jul 2019 08:22:40 8,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been chipping away at my first level the last few days, just about really to trial run it. The checkpoint flag though... I've got one in the second part of the level, you cross it but when you die, you end up back at the start. Any idea why? Or do they just not work during the trial run?

    Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 08:29:58 02-07-2019
  • robc84 2 Jul 2019 08:28:06 14,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not a particularly creative person, so all I've made is a few basic levels for my boy. I'm gradually starting to branch out a bit though and add in some different elements.

    I've been making him one each night after he goes to bed so he can get up and play it in the morning. He makes me one when he gets home from school for me to play when I get home, but it's usually just hundreds of enemies and stars falling everywhere. He's happy though so I guess that's the main thing :)
  • atothewest 2 Jul 2019 08:39:17 1,098 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Been chipping away at my first level the last few days, just about really to trial run it. The checkpoint flag though... I've got one in the second part of the level, you cross it but when you die, you end up back at the start. Any idea why? Or do they just not work during the trial run?
    Yeah during the trial run you have to beat it from the start (with no checkpoint) and then also from each checkpoint.
  • Thebigwahoonie 2 Jul 2019 08:43:29 265 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not had a huge amount of time to play yet, story mode is a bit slow getting from level to level for me, kids are loving the koopa car levels though and I've made a couple of simple ones for them to get to grips with.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Jul 2019 08:56:12 8,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @atothewest ah ok, cheers mate.
  • neems 2 Jul 2019 13:25:54 4,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So what don't you get access to if you don't have Nintendo Online?
  • Duffking 2 Jul 2019 14:16:40 16,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    All online functionality. No sharing or downloading levels, or online MP.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2019 14:24:52 82,264 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I always like to think I had a creative side but the only levels I've done are the kind of chore I would hate playing in a boxed release.

    I did one level that was, basically, two minutes of inching along, avoiding hundreds of podoboos before I realised that literally no one would enjoy playing it.
  • Duffking 2 Jul 2019 14:52:38 16,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you're interested in learning how to make quality levels it might be worth just remaking levels you've liked from older Mario games or something to begin with. I expect you'll pick up a sense for what makes 'em fun and well paced and varied and then you can start putting your own spin on things.
  • Derblington 2 Jul 2019 15:15:35 33,409 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    All online functionality. No sharing or downloading levels, or online MP.
    Is this true? Up until now all I've seen are people saying that you can play other people's levels without it.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2019 15:27:28
    nickthegun wrote:
    I always like to think I had a creative side but the only levels I've done are the kind of chore I would hate playing in a boxed release.

    I did one level that was, basically, two minutes of inching along, avoiding hundreds of podoboos before I realised that literally no one would enjoy playing it.
    Yeah I was finding that last night. I spent around 2 hours on a 3D world level and I like a small part of it. Most of it I hate so am tempted to scrap it.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2019 15:28:47
    Following on from my previous post. Can you bulk cut/copy/paste assets/sections etc?

    The beginning part of my level feels like it should be a bit further in. Can I shunt it over?
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2019 15:37:12 82,264 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, trigger buttons to move between bulk select and copy functions

    Edited by nickthegun at 15:37:31 02-07-2019
  • neems 2 Jul 2019 15:43:45 4,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Duffking wrote:
    All online functionality. No sharing or downloading levels, or online MP.
    Is this true? Up until now all I've seen are people saying that you can play other people's levels without it.
    Fuck it, I'll buy the game and find out for myself. I can always buy a one month pass if need be.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2019 15:49:45
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, trigger buttons to move between bulk select and copy functions
    Cheers. Maybe I should just go through some more tutorials. I just grabbed the switch and a stylus and started messing last night. I do like the overall tool though. It's quite intuitive.
  • neems 2 Jul 2019 16:25:52 4,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I can confirm there is no online functionality whatsoever without Nintendo Online.
  • KRadiation 2 Jul 2019 19:06:20 1,524 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SNES mario levels NEED to end with the black circle. It's horrible not hearing that classic weeerr-aa- weerrrr
  • Theticket 2 Jul 2019 19:09:16 129 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anyone tell me how to use the P switch? I have tried searching online but can't find anything. I'm okay using the on/off switch, but can't figure out the P one.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2019 19:18:58
    Theticket wrote:
    Can anyone tell me how to use the P switch? I have tried searching online but can't find anything. I'm okay using the on/off switch, but can't figure out the P one.
    Don't they turn brick blocks into coins and vice versa?
  • DakeyrasUK 2 Jul 2019 20:54:39 4,267 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep there's also a door that will appear when a p switch is pressed.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Jul 2019 21:13:17 8,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I can't finish the level I'm trying to upload.
  • DakeyrasUK 2 Jul 2019 21:28:01 4,267 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol, too hard per chance?

    I'm confused, are player not liking levels any more? My second level had 7 likes from the first 14 players and I thought sweet it's a popular one. It has had only 2 likes from the next 40 players approx 20 of which played it enough to complete it.

    I know the first section is a little gimmicky, but I thought I catered for the more rusty/new player well by making it reasonably easy to have a second go at the big jump in that section.

    Oh well, am off to Geneva tomorrow taking pupils to see CERN so will get a lot of them to play my levels and see how well they do. Will also complete my ghost house level. It is quite large and am unsure as how long the time needs to be to provide a rush to the player without being stupidly harsh...
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.