Mario Maker 2 Page 7

Next Last
  • ukaskew37 21 Feb 2020 08:19:38 218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    My 5 year old and I have nearly finished story mode, which is brilliant. So many clever levels you'd never get in a traditional Mario game. It is making us desperate for 3D World to arrive on the Switch though, a no brainer, surely?

Haven't dived too deep in course world yet, but finding it really frustrating to find good 'traditional' levels as nearly all the charts etc are full of quirky auto-mario levels or music.

Worth noting that it doesn't really work as a co-op game either unlike Mario Bros. Story Mode is strictly one player and even the maker levels that are playable in co-op don't work nearly as well (insta-death when a player falls behind, for example).
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2020 08:26:37 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm enjoying it a lot but getting a little tired of levels that have some kind of extremely hard pixel perfect requirement or a ton of enemies and hazards right at the start. Killing players in the first 2 seconds isn't going to make anyone want to retry your design.
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Feb 2020 08:49:47 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The best advice I can give (from my experience of the first game) is to follow designers of stages you do like as they tend to make more of the same quality. It's the best way to filter through the nonsense from folk who think they're being clever.

It is very easy to think you've created something fair and fluid, only to forget that you've created the level and know it inside out. Others with undoubtedly struggle without your knowledge and wisdom.
  • the_milkybar_kid 21 Feb 2020 10:49:15 8,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Funnily enough we booted this up yesterday too. The community seems to have dried up somewhat. The most popular ones I didnt find particularly inventive or enjoyable.
  • ukaskew37 21 Apr 2020 07:50:13 218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    My son basically exploded with excitement when he saw the update announcement trailer this morning. For me World Builder completely changes the game, he was excited about Koopalings!
  • rice_sandwich 21 Apr 2020 08:06:57 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looks like a fantastic final update.
  • robc84 21 Apr 2020 08:14:11 14,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah my boy is really excited too. The world builder sounds great!
  • the_milkybar_kid 21 Apr 2020 08:17:52 8,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    World builder is a proper game changer. I completely lost motivation to make levels because I get carried away with different ideas that dont translate to a coherent levels. Having them in their own world should help to keep it grounded and themed so theres some good difficulty progression.
  • Navi 21 Apr 2020 09:01:54 347 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Great to hear people are excited about this. Just saw the info myself and yeah, the World builder is the main event. Can't wait to put some worlds together and try out the builds other people come up with.
  • DakeyrasUK 21 Apr 2020 10:01:06 4,267 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm excited but also a little daunted. 40 levels... 8 worlds... sure it doesn't need to be that much but still some planning is needed.

Finally some point to hiding 1 ups and secret exits?
  • Duffking 21 Apr 2020 12:31:28 16,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, you won't need to put all your ideas in one level though. I'm thinking I'll be making shorter courses as a result.
  • EvilAspirin 23 Apr 2020 10:54:10 20 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This update has made me want to make some more levels. I've tasked myself with the rather daunting challenge of 40 new levels, but I've added some stipulations:

Levels must be on average shorter than a minute casually and less than 30 seconds if speedrunning. (My levels were around 2 minutes)

Levels should stick to their World theming, with no locales or enemies that don't belong.

Levels should be a bit harder than Nintendo's standard, but not require any tricks or skills outside of what is usually expected of a player. (No kaizo basically)

One level of each game style should appear in each world, but 3D world should never be the world castle. (Meowser sucks)

So far I'm 2 1/2 levels in and sticking to the rules I set. I'm going to upload them all together to make sure they flow well and so I can kind of forget the first levels I make and see if they still hold up at the end.
  • Dazimus 23 Apr 2020 11:18:58 1,285 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bought this a few days ago and havenít fired it up yet. Iíll have to look through this thread and play some of your levels.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 23 Apr 2020 13:23:38 2,928 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well up for trying your worlds
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.