Samurai Shodown (2019)

• Rivuzu 27 Jun 2019 10:14:03 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thread, as we didn't have one.

Enjoying the game a lot. Extremely high emphasis on playing a neutral game, with your normal attacks able to take a clean 25% of a life bar on a good read. No true combo system as such, more just normal into special. Much more grounded, in my opinion, than SFV - and frankly more fun to play.

I can splurge about this game for a while if there's interest, but it's pretty great so far.
  • ChiefGB 27 Jun 2019 12:09:26 11,314 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, we have no interest in this 🤣🤣

No seriously, Iíve always appreciated these from afar as I like the weapons slant on a beat em up (see also soul caliber, which I have played a few of). Thing is I just donít have the time, skills or game friends to dedicate to these.
  • Rivuzu 27 Jun 2019 12:19:08 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's a shame :( This is a game that certainly feels like the more time you put into it, the more rewarding your progression is. Which is a dumb thing to say, as all games should be like that, but it's certainly more notable here.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 13:33:57 1,847 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, we're here now!

I'd say if any game was going to appeal to someone who doesn't have the time to go too deep these days, and their reactions are blunted by age - so they must rely more on reading opponents and trying to mess with their heads - this one would be a good shout, no?
  • Rivuzu 27 Jun 2019 16:16:13 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Honestly it's fun to pick up and just swing swords at people, but there is equal parts reading and reacting to this. For example, throws are unbreakable in this game (but do no damage, they allow the thrower to attack the throwee with their weapon) and can only be dodged by moving out of the way or by taking the Dodge action.

If you can dodge it accurately, they're caught in 43 frames of recovery for whiffing a grab. 43 frames. That's enough time to put the kettle on, make a milky brew, have a hobnob, pet the dog, and then settle back down.

Being able to do something like read the throw and react with dodge, into hitting them with your characters one attempt per match super special move to do 70% of their life bar as damage in one go is what Samurai Shodown is all about.
  • Dombat 27 Jun 2019 18:22:22 1,630 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm so tempted to just buy this.
  • Derblington 27 Jun 2019 18:28:04 31,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It does sound cool, precisely because itís very different.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jun 2019 00:24:06 1,847 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am so gloriously bad at these games now. My memory just can't keep up, let alone my hands; I'm checking the bloody command list more than actually playing the game these days.
    I have become that annoying friend who repeatedly asked "what was fireball again?"

I've only fucked around in the shitty tutorial and a bit of the story mode, but it's already feeling like something I could get into.

Maybe some day I'll get just plain bad at it.
  • Zippity-zap 28 Jun 2019 04:26:15 424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *arrogantly turns back to opponent, flicks impossibly blue hair*
  • Rivuzu 28 Jun 2019 12:19:21 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas If it helps, use the notations normally used for anime fighters.

Directions = numpad. So quarter circle forwards becomes 236. Dragonpunch becomes 263. Half circle forwards becomes 41236.

Buttons = A, B, C and D for Light Slash, Medium Slash, Heavy Slash and Kick.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jun 2019 12:50:39 1,847 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have no problems with the moves, as long as I'm in training and such, i.e. as long as I can pause the action and go take a quick look at whatever it is I'm trying to remember. Execution isn't the issue here. As soon as I get into a fight in these games, however, muscle memory kicks in from some other fighting game and anything I've just spent the last hour training myself to remember goes straight out the window...
  • 1Dgaf 10 Jul 2019 22:22:44 5,120 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got this today on PS4. Connect with a guy in Russia and had some decent online games.

I didn't know what I was doing - and it was easy to die - but even so, the slower pace made it feel more forgiving than SFV.

Anyone else playing online on PS4?
  • AboutHalfaStevas 11 Jul 2019 00:28:21 1,847 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I'm still... occasionally trying.
  • bone-on 11 Jul 2019 07:03:57 375 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shodown has always been about hustling backwards and forwards trying to death strike your opponent itís never been a heavy combo zen skills game.

So put bluntly itís great for old farts and has good pick up and play value
  • Rivuzu 11 Jul 2019 07:49:59 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's overtaken Dragonball fighterZ as my main game. Been turning up to a lot of locals recently, getting top 3 finishes.

VSFighting next weekend though, so will see how I dare after that!

The game is great.
  • Zippity-zap 11 Jul 2019 10:04:04 424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is great. I even enjoy watching matches. Itís a tense, high risk/reward fighter.

*coughs blood into hand, runs away from a horde of kimono babes*

Edited by Zippity-zap at 10:04:54 11-07-2019
  • 1Dgaf 12 Jul 2019 17:04:55 5,120 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a tournament with SamSho as one of the games in London on the 27th. I paid £3 so I can play casual matches.

https://smash.gg/tournament/revolver-road-to-celtic-throwdown
  • Rivuzu 12 Jul 2019 17:08:02 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I was chatting to Grim from ELF about this last weekend, I'm gutted I can't make it. Have plans to see Book of Mormon the same day with the missus, ffs. If there's still something going on after I might swing through, poke my nose in.
  • 1Dgaf 15 Jul 2019 21:59:36 5,120 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm really enjoying this. I've decided to accept matches from anyone anywhere, regardless of connection. I tmeans I get a few fights in each night and they haven't been too bad.

I was playing a guy earlier who was smashing me in the first few games, but then I started adapting. He still beat me, but the margins became smaller and smaller.
  • Dombat 15 Jul 2019 23:15:05 1,630 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This has done great for entrants at Evo. Ahead of MK11 and not all that far behind T7 and SFV. Obviously doesn't fully dictate how popular the game will be going forward, especially at a casual level, but it's good to have a bit of variety in the FGC at the moment.
  • Dombat 17 Jul 2019 17:47:41 1,630 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rivuzu was browsing the VS Fighting page on smash.gg earlier out of curiosity, noticed you're seeded 4th for SamSho. Fair play mate! Sitting above Oil King and Chanel, no less. :D

Good luck!
  • 1Dgaf 27 Jul 2019 19:19:07 5,120 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got back from East London Revolution Fighters Celtic Showodnw Road to Terabitha.

Hadn't been to something like that in a few year; people were friendly, so that's good. The organiser said he'd be holding weekly events at the same location, I think.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.