Jony Ive to leave Apple

First Previous
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Jun 2019 16:40:25 21,390 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is a pretty big deal for Apple. Could potentially be even more significant than Jobs’ death. The Apple design aesthetic is all Ive, and as a million other brands can testify, very hard to emulate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48795057
  • richarddavies 28 Jun 2019 16:47:19 8,020 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apple will just do what they've been doing for about the past 5 years. Wait and see what other phone companies come up with first and then introduce it into there phones 2 years later, acting like they invented it.
  • nudistpete 28 Jun 2019 17:05:05 1,257 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    This is a pretty big deal for Apple.
    Is it really? Apple has been stagnant for a decade. The iDevices have only had minor tweaks, the laptops have all looked the same since the Macbook Air, the desktops have been the only "interesting" development, but even they've been iterative rather than revolutionary.

The big "WTF that's cool" moments of the cube and iMac have yet to be bettered, imo.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Jun 2019 17:07:08 21,390 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Stagnant lol. They’re the most valuable brand in the world and the first and only trillion dollar business.
  • up_the_ante 28 Jun 2019 17:20:32 1,457 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well he's left Apple to start his own design company, whose first customer is...Apple
  • elstoof 28 Jun 2019 17:29:37 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Surely he’ll leave them a copy of the Braun catalogue that they can continue to be “inspired” by
  • Dirtbox 28 Jun 2019 18:16:55 91,595 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Stagnant lol. They’re the most valuable brand in the world and the first and only trillion dollar business.
    It's no secret that the reason they reached a trillion is thanks to their removing features and charging customers extra to return them in the form of dongles or wireless headphones.

And a week after their trillion announcement, Microsoft hit a trillion as well, but for much less anti-consumer reasons, and continues to have a lead over apple.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:19:11 28-06-2019
  • mothercruncher 28 Jun 2019 18:25:10 18,378 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    Well he's left Apple to start his own design company, whose first customer is...Apple
    This- he’ll still be designing for them but is now also free to work in other areas. Fucking lol at the usual yawningly predictable anti Apple drivel here.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Jun 2019 18:33:30 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    up_the_ante wrote:
    This- he’ll still be designing for them but is now also free to work in other areas. Fucking lol at the usual yawningly predictable anti Apple drivel here.
    Yep, you’d think people would stop and feel too embarrassed to actually click “post”
  • Deleted user 28 June 2019 18:54:42
    @Armoured_Bear You ever had that epiphany yourself on any occasion?
  • Not-a-reviewer 28 Jun 2019 19:10:24 6,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There’s only so much to design on a rectangular piece of glass.

Apple is also going to be good client and all the designers at Apple have spent years working for him.
  • Not-a-reviewer 28 Jun 2019 19:11:54 6,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    His first, not a good.
  • Fake_Blood 28 Jun 2019 19:27:18 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Ok Jony, this year I want to you to redesign the iphone with, and get this, this will blow your mind, three cameras!"
    "I'm leaving, Tim."
    "But Jon..."
    "I had my doubts about the rose gold watches Tim, and then you went ahead and canceled the apple car I spend so much time on, I just can't do it anymore."
  • JamboWayOh 28 Jun 2019 19:51:53 21,665 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear You ever had that epiphany yourself on any occasion?
    Unfortunately not. Repeatedly.
  • nudistpete 28 Jun 2019 21:22:26 1,257 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And that means they have had great new design in the past decade because..?

My missus is a complete apple freak, but compare the design of those devices (phone, pad & MacBook) she's bought over the past decade and they're pretty samey.

While they may be innovative in the software side, on the hardware side they've lost the ability to be bold and take risks - playing it safe. That's fair enough, but tell 20 something me who lusted over a G4 Cube that is the pinnacle of their bold design, I'd have been depressed.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2019 21:35:11 11,269 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think you understand design or branding. All of your examples became the design standard. I don't like Apple tech principles but their design has been iconic
  • up_the_ante 28 Jun 2019 21:58:14 1,457 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The iPhone 4 is still the best piece of design for any mobile phone IMO. Looked like a piece of art and was the perfect size and weight. Since then they have been rather samey.
  • up_the_ante 28 Jun 2019 21:58:16 1,457 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The iPhone 4 is still the best piece of design for any mobile phone IMO. Looked like a piece of art and was the perfect size and weight. Since then they have been rather samey.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Jun 2019 22:27:33 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just bring back a huge capacity iPod Classic for fucks sake
  • elstoof 28 Jun 2019 22:42:33 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those samey samey safe legacy connectivity options that they refuse to stop supporting like oldUSB, FireWire, MagSafe etc take some fucking risks please Apple
  • theone1 28 Jun 2019 23:33:50 120 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's us told folks, we take him for granted :lol:
  • sport 28 Jun 2019 23:38:50 16,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    Jony Ive is probably the best product designer this country, or maybe even the world, has ever seen.

We take him for granted.
    Let this never be forgotten.

Our Jony, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Jun 2019 23:58:40 21,665 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    OK so on this topic I’d say I’m pretty knowledgeable. I’ve grown up with product design and my brother is a renewed product designer himself.

Design can be easily misunderstood or unappreciated by a lot of people. A simple rectangle product might appear simple to you but the precision of good design requires the very best talent and skill.

Jony Ive is probably the best product designer this country, or maybe even the world, has ever seen.

We take him for granted.

He designed the original iPod. That device alone changed the world. Whoever says Apple copies others is wrong. Apple were the first to design an iPod style device and then full touch screen phone. They were the first to have a slick operating system on touch screen too. Jony Ive designed it all.

He designed all Macs (think back to the revolutionary original iMac), iPads, iPhones, Apple Watch and more. The Watch alone is worn by so many people now. Why? The design.

Design is at the heart of everything. Good design lasts a lifetime.

Let me ask you; could you genuinely use a Walkman or Microsoft Zune still, day to day? No. Would you be comfortable with the original iPod or iPhone? Yes.

The MacBook, iMac, iPad, Watch have all been copied by others but no one, and I mean no one has designed something quite as perfect in build and quality.
    Christ, that's some next level, game changing, dick sucking right there.
  • theone1 29 Jun 2019 00:33:32 120 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He designed the original iPod. That device alone changed the world. Whoever says Apple copies others is wrong. Apple were the first to design an iPod style device

There were MP3 playing boxes before the ipod, they were actually smaller and slicker looking than the original ipod
  • thelzdking 29 Jun 2019 00:44:26 10,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's fair enough to have loyalty to a product you have found to be good-quality, but I'll never understand vociferous fanboyism for a bunch of suits who only want your money.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jun 2019 00:48:34 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    I love how non-designers simply never understand what great design is and how rare it is. It’s like a Picasso or Van Gogh. Fair enough, I don’t appreciate great art or engineering, for example.

It’s not dick sucking, there’s literally no one else as good as him at electronic product design, in the world. So yeah... he’s like the Picasso of the art world. And he’s English.
    No one is perfect.
  • Carlo 29 Jun 2019 00:54:41 21,495 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    erasr wrote:

We take him for granted.

He designed the original iPod. That device alone changed the world. Whoever says Apple copies others is wrong. Apple were the first to design an iPod style device and then full touch screen phone.
    When I first heard how Apple/Ive basically duplicated the style of Braun I was a little skeptical, but I started looking at some of the examples and it was pretty compelling.

I mean, look: https://theuijunkie.com/apple-braun-design/
  • up_the_ante 29 Jun 2019 01:07:11 1,457 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well I for one will miss his lovely voice telling me about chamfered edges and aluminium bodies
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.