Jony Ive to leave Apple Page 7

• AcidSnake 3 Jul 2019 09:12:09 8,390 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If you fit the definition of a 'brand' and are worth a trillion, how is that arguable?
    I think the arguable part is like contrasting EA to CD Projekt or something.

EA is definitely worth more but CD Projekt as a brand has more value...
    Don't know if that makes sense?

Edited by AcidSnake at 11:49:47 03-07-2019
  • nudistpete 3 Jul 2019 09:14:24 1,257 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Because the suggestion was that as a business they are “stagnant” which is fucking laughable.
    No-one ever claimed that, they (or rather I) claimed their designs are stagnant.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 09:15:13 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    Except they're not a trillion dollar company, currently they're a 932.78 billion dollar company.
    That has nothing to do with the post you said was complete bollocks. Again, the only error was in not realising Amazon had also realised a trillion valuation. Apart from that everything I said was 100% true.
    The only part of your post that was "100% true" was that they were first.

Most valuable brand in the world is arguable and will always be a matter of opinion and can therefore never be 100% true.

"The worlds first and only trillion dollar company."

First to break one trillion yes, I'll give you that, but currently the only trillion dollar company is Microsoft.

Fuck me it's like arguing with a brick.
    I’m a professional brand strategist, head of strategy at one of the biggest brand agencies in the world. Raising and measuring brand value is literally what I do for a living. I’m well aware of the complications involved in measuring a brand and yes, the methods are somewhat of a inexact science. Nevertheless the metrics involved are well established at this point and generally Interbrand have the most established and utilised index. They have Apple at number 1 in terms of brand valuation, as for Forbes who have their own methodology. BrandZ do currently have Amazon top this month but they’re hunting for hits.

Anyone in the industry knows and will comfortably state that Apple is the most valuable brand in the world and has been for years. You get the odd dip every now and then, but it doesn’t make that not true. OK, if you want to be super pedantic then it’s not 100% true (that for once was ironically actual hyperbole and therefore not intended to be taken literally, but anyway...) but you’re the one that came steaming in here saying I’m talking “compete shit”. So sorry to be like a brick wall but perhaps don’t do that if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
  • nudistpete 3 Jul 2019 09:17:09 1,257 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I’m a professional brand strategist, head of strategy at one of the biggest brand agencies in the world.
    Since 2016 the public are fed up of "experts", didn't you get the memo?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 09:17:10 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Because the suggestion was that as a business they are “stagnant” which is fucking laughable.
    No-one ever claimed that, they (or rather I) claimed their designs are stagnant.
    That wasn’t made explicitly clear in your post but fair enough. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Youthist 3 Jul 2019 09:18:05 14,415 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sounds like we have another director in our midst PES
  • nudistpete 3 Jul 2019 09:20:26 1,257 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That wasn’t made explicitly clear in your post but fair enough. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    And I apologise for not being clear. I have a lot of respect for Apple as a business - after all they sell commodity hardware at a stupidly high markup other businesses can only dream of. But I do really believe they're lazy and playing it far too safe when it comes to product design in $currentyear.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 09:28:53 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think generally the business hasn’t prioritised product design because again, they’re pivoting to service. Ive has been more focussed on things like the Apple Store redesign which they brought back in house (incidentally that was what I was referring to as industry defining ‘retail’ earlier in this thread) and presumably whatever other secret things they’ve got in store.
  • Syrette 3 Jul 2019 09:30:42 50,935 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I’m a professional brand strategist, head of strategy at one of the biggest brand agencies in the world.
    Miaow!

;)
  • ozthegweat 3 Jul 2019 09:45:01 2,708 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is devastating to see that the people in this thread are so shocked and dismayed about Jony leaving that they start pointless arguments and invent random facts to prove their point.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 10:05:03 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Miaow!

;)
    I realise slapping your cock down on the table is a bit gauche, but creds felt appropriate here. But yeah, soz.
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Jul 2019 10:05:51 11,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kal, your personal brand is now worth over a trillion dollars
  • Deleted user 3 July 2019 10:07:14
    I imagine this is what a good dust up on MarketingWeek forum must look like.
  • sport 3 Jul 2019 10:15:21 16,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kal, the "mad man".
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 10:26:53 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hah, Don Draper also went from copywriter into strategy and thus for about a year I completely modelled myself on him, wearing grey suits and skinny ties and drinking Old Fashioneds and being generally awesome. Heady days.
  • nudistpete 3 Jul 2019 10:50:23 1,257 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ive has been more focussed on things like the Apple Store redesign
    What they need there is a maitre d'/armed guard to intimidate the chavs who flock to the Apple store to play game demos while supping on their Costa's.
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2019 10:56:35 83,748 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They are their core demo. They need to convince everyone their phones are worth it, which is why they are like a youth club. My daughter is 11 and already if you haven't got an iPhone, youre the punk missing out on 90% of group chats.

Also... the apple store thing is so influential. They really were ahead of the curve in using retail space as just a live product catalogue.

Where I work, we have in our head office the 'future branch', which is the prototype retail space that they tweak before rolling out across the country. They have now wholeheartedly embraced the apple store ethos of a neutral, beige space with people wandering about, telling people about products and whatnot.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 11:03:58 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Their approach to retail has completely redefined that sector and beyond. Hotels, car showrooms, banks etc. And amazingly despite the original
    Apple Store being over 20 years old, it’s still the industry benchmark.

Without getting too boring, it’s also changed the whole conversation around metrics. Retailers used to be all about conversion but Apple have completely changed that, and that impact is industry wise now.

Again, this was the earlier point I was making about how deep Apple’s impact is, in many ways that most people wouldn’t be aware of.
  • sport 3 Jul 2019 11:09:01 16,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nick and Kal on their way to the next iPhone launch.
  • Dougs 3 Jul 2019 11:22:22 96,721 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hah, Don Draper also went from copywriter into strategy and thus for about a year I completely modelled myself on him, wearing grey suits and skinny ties and drinking Old Fashioneds and being generally awesome. Heady days.
    It's the hat that set Don apart. Always the hat.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2019 11:24:52
    Is this a joke or have you had too many Old Fashioned's?
  • Tonka 3 Jul 2019 11:43:19 31,378 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fun take on it all

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/7/2/20679258/apple-future-services-iphone-experience-design-ceo-tim-cook

I'd say yes (for the annoying iCloud popups alone)
  • Syrette 3 Jul 2019 12:19:04 50,935 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Miaow!

;)
    I realise slapping your cock down on the table is a bit gauche, but creds felt appropriate here. But yeah, soz.
    I've got no problem with it, quite the opposite - reminded me of that seminal EG moment when Otto said he was part of a team that wrote some EU laws or something.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jul 2019 12:19:43 21,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:
    Is this a joke or have you had too many Old Fashioned's?
    Bit of both.
  • elstoof 3 Jul 2019 12:22:39 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They are their core demo. They need to convince everyone their phones are worth it, which is why they are like a youth club. My daughter is 11 and already if you haven't got an iPhone, youre the punk missing out on 90% of group chats.
    A friend in New York Met a girl one night and got her number, sent her a text and she replied that she couldn’t date a guy with green texts
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2019 12:35:28 83,748 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The struggle is real
  • elstoof 3 Jul 2019 12:50:13 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Android phones are worse than living in New Jersey
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.