Jony Ive to leave Apple Page 3

  • DrStrangelove 30 Jun 2019 00:45:16 15,330 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    Apple are often overlooked as massive practitioners of inbuilt obsolescence.
    Are they? I think that's one of the most prominent practices they're known for.
  • Deleted user 30 June 2019 01:03:09
    Oh, good.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Jun 2019 02:39:16 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In before dirtbox makes a fanboy cunt of himself .
    Shit...
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jun 2019 10:25:20 21,665 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    In before dirtbox makes a fanboy cunt of himself .
    Shit...
    IRONY
    R
    O
    N
    Y
  • magicpanda 30 Jun 2019 11:51:13 15,082 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
  • RyanDS 30 Jun 2019 12:28:20 13,483 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apple for me provide genuine generational leaps, then everyone else improves on them and apple sit on it then while everyone else surpasses them.

    You cant deny the ipad/ipod/iphone were game changers. The problem is, especially with phones the iphone is just so far behind android in every respect now it is ridiculous.

    I ho through phases of loving apple and then getting so frustrated at how they jump 2 years above the competition, then just sit there for the next few years and ignore the way others improve upon their stuff.
  • Nazo 30 Jun 2019 16:41:10 1,518 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    The problem is, especially with phones the iphone is just so far behind android in every respect now it is ridiculous.
    Iím curious what you mean by this? The days of iOS being way better than Android are clearly long gone but I donít think itís particularly fallen that far behind either.
  • mothercruncher 30 Jun 2019 17:58:06 18,378 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    The problem is, especially with phones the iphone is just so far behind android in every respect now it is ridiculous.
    Iím curious what you mean by this? The days of iOS being way better than Android are clearly long gone but I donít think itís particularly fallen that far behind either.
    And theyíre still way better for security too.
  • chopsen 30 Jun 2019 22:57:29 21,350 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    This is fun to read: someone tried to invent an MP3 player, music DRM and a digital distribution system in 1979:

    http://www.kanekramer.com/downloads/IXI-Report.pdf
    I'd read somewhere else they'd got a patent in 1982, which I thought was amazing, but I didn't realise they'd come up with the concept as long ago as 1979. I just feel sorry for them not being able to afford the renewal fees when the patent expired however many years later. IXI are the worlds richest company in some parallel universe.
    It was ahead of it's time, but that was the problem. Decent data storage size was impossible, there was no data compression algorithm, and the amount of infrastructure needed to get it going in the absence of the internet and ubiquitous computers meant it was never to be.

    Obviously this doesn't take anything away from Ive, who's achievements are undeniable. Amazingly prescient though.
  • minky-kong 1 Jul 2019 10:13:25 14,650 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/next-iphone-to-feature-shatterproof-glass-decent-battery-and-haha-of-course-it-wont-20190701187049
  • nudistpete 1 Jul 2019 10:34:43 1,257 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    my Macbook Pro was a revelation too only because of that touchpad and its implementation. It was just worlds apart.
    Apple macbook touchpads are the work of Satan, IMO. It's like the design team all sat in a room and decided that they way touchpads work everywhere else (light tap = click, tap in the bottom right = right-click) is perfectly fine and they wanted to completely go against that just to piss everyone off.
  • nickthegun 1 Jul 2019 10:45:58 83,748 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The glass trackpad was another quiet 'apple don't innovate anymore' revolution. They wanted to mirror the user experience across their whole product range and were so successful, most manufacturers ended up copying the design, lock stock.

    I have an HP elite book 360 and a MacBook Pro for work and while the trackpads look the same, the MacBook is infinitely superior and they cost more or less the same price.

    Edited by nickthegun at 10:46:29 01-07-2019
  • elstoof 1 Jul 2019 11:16:42 26,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Why would you need a right click in the bottom corner when macOS doesnít traditionally utilise right clicks, you can set a ďsecondary clickĒ anyway by switching it on in system preferences. Same as you can tap to click on the trackpad, along with a load of other gestures which you can opt in and out of

    Edited by elstoof at 11:18:50 01-07-2019
  • Bambot 1 Jul 2019 11:20:06 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    my Macbook Pro was a revelation too only because of that touchpad and its implementation. It was just worlds apart.
    Apple macbook touchpads are the work of Satan, IMO. It's like the design team all sat in a room and decided that they way touchpads work everywhere else (light tap = click, tap in the bottom right = right-click) is perfectly fine and they wanted to completely go against that just to piss everyone off.
    I have a 2017 Macbook and have no idea what you're complaining about. My trackpad equates a light tap to a click, and while I have two-fingered taps as right click, it is a simple Preference setting to make it a bottom-right click.
  • Bambot 1 Jul 2019 11:22:03 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Why would you need a right click in the bottom corner when macOS doesnít traditionally utilise right clicks, you can set a ďsecondary clickĒ anyway by switching it on in system preferences. Same as you can tap to click on the trackpad, along with a load of other gestures which you can opt in and out of
    I right click on my Macs all the time for contextual actions. Right enough I don't know how it's used differently on PCs.
  • elstoof 1 Jul 2019 11:24:15 26,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Two fingered click on the trackpad is easier than moving your finger to the bottom right, or hold control and click normally

    Edited by elstoof at 11:24:50 01-07-2019
  • nudistpete 1 Jul 2019 12:08:41 1,257 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    I have a 2017 Macbook and have no idea what you're complaining about. My trackpad equates a light tap to a click,
    Really? On both macbooks I've used you have to physically push in the trackpad to have a "click" recognised, it's infuriating.

    Edited by nudistpete at 12:08:47 01-07-2019
  • mothercruncher 1 Jul 2019 12:11:58 18,378 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thatís a setting in the... settings I think.
  • nudistpete 1 Jul 2019 12:18:58 1,257 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Thatís a setting in the... settings I think.
    So it is, called "Tap to click".
  • Fake_Blood 1 Jul 2019 12:27:13 10,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is indeed a setting, and on the new macbooks you have three levels of pressure so you can make the click very light if you insist on still using the click.
  • Bambot 1 Jul 2019 14:35:38 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Bambot wrote:
    I have a 2017 Macbook and have no idea what you're complaining about. My trackpad equates a light tap to a click,
    Really? On both macbooks I've used you have to physically push in the trackpad to have a "click" recognised, it's infuriating.
    My last Macbook before that was from 2007 and the trackpad on that worked exactly the same way. I've literally never had a Macbook that didn't register a tap on the pad as a click. You just go in the settings, on the latest OS the setting is called 'Tap to click'

    EDIT: ah you've found it, good stuff :)

    Edited by Bambot at 14:37:27 01-07-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Jul 2019 15:03:11 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    my Macbook Pro was a revelation too only because of that touchpad and its implementation. It was just worlds apart.
    Apple macbook touchpads are the work of Satan, IMO. It's like the design team all sat in a room and decided that they way touchpads work everywhere else (light tap = click, tap in the bottom right = right-click) is perfectly fine and they wanted to completely go against that just to piss everyone off.
    They were the first to produce trackpads that weren't shit and have been miles better than anyone else for a good 10 years, what you are describing is inferior touchpads from years after Apple.
    With apple you right click with one finger and right click with a light two finger tap, it works perfectly and there's a shitload of gestures which work brilliantly.
    Of all the things you could slag them off for, their touchpads should be about the last one.
  • Your-Mother 1 Jul 2019 15:29:10 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought two finger tap for right click was the standard anyway. Itís been like that on every Windows laptop Iíve used for the past ten years, at least that I can remember.
  • sport 1 Jul 2019 15:32:52 16,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    I thought two finger tap for right click was the standard anyway. Itís been like that on every Windows laptop Iíve used for the past ten years, at least that I can remember.
    You sure you weren't using a Mac and didn't realize it?
  • elstoof 1 Jul 2019 16:16:34 26,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Donít be silly, youíd know if you were using a Mac. Itís like putting the good olive oil in your salad dressing
  • up_the_ante 1 Jul 2019 16:22:28 1,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago


    Jony Ive peak design
  • mrpon 1 Jul 2019 16:28:43 36,579 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shame about the antenna!
  • Tonka 1 Jul 2019 16:34:38 31,378 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This WSJ article had done good gossip
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/jony-ive-is-departing-apple-but-he-started-leaving-years-ago-11561943376
  • Fake_Blood 1 Jul 2019 16:36:50 10,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka has a wsj subscription you guys.
  • Tonka 1 Jul 2019 16:47:32 31,378 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Weirdest thing.

    I clicked the link in this tweet and the article opened in full. If I try it again it doesn't work

    https://twitter.com/backlon/status/1145557971201478657

    Edited by Tonka at 16:48:45 01-07-2019
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.