Following Mario Maker 2 - The Eurogamer Levels Page 5

• Theticket 6 Jul 2019 21:53:53 117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kami Tried it...about twenty times! Got to Bowser with one second on the clock and died. I'll complete it eventually but it's probably a bit beyond my skills in general, though I love the use of the spin to elongate jumps. Very clever.
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 22:05:23 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Theticket - I'm impressed! I'm sure you can find a second from somewhere (spins can also help to cancel/mitigate jump distance as well). You'd get your lovely Mii mug all over that First Clear spot... forever... :p

edit; this is also what happens when you've been playing video games since the age of four (I'm in my forties now... just...). Some of these skills are second nature to me, like working out how to just about delay a fall by a few pixels here and there...

Edited by Kami at 22:08:29 06-07-2019
  • Theticket 6 Jul 2019 22:26:27 117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Done! And I'm no fountain of youth, either. (36)
  • Theticket 6 Jul 2019 22:29:17 117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Navi Played both the Mario Odyssey level and Winter Wondermaze. Both beautiful, though I struggled to complete the former. Keep up the good work!
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 22:31:52 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Theticket - Congratulations! It's so good to see that one fall. I'm especially proud of that stage for some reason. My old friend Leoni was badgering me to make "hot garbage" so... I took it literally and had fun in the process.

Now you're on the info page for that stage forever and ever and ever. \o/

(Edit; I'm amazed, but with some of my smash buddies and my niece getting really into gaming now at eleven, I feel so old...)
  • DakeyrasUK 6 Jul 2019 23:01:49 2,844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kami it's a good stage but after dying as Mario was landing on the pole (after about 10 attempts to get that far) I thought bollocks to that I have done it...
  • Addy__ 6 Jul 2019 23:19:54 913 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    2nd stage done.

Fly you fools!

SJ3-HV8-FNF

I'm definitely happier with this one over my first attempt. Hope you enjoy it.
  • vyseofhr 7 Jul 2019 05:57:43 1,216 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1st stage is a slight remix of a (relatively) popular one I made on the original, just while I get my head around the new layout and tools. Very short and sweet but harder than it looks.

Hop! Hammertime!

Q7W-1V2-PHF
  • Navi 7 Jul 2019 09:19:42 313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Theticket wrote:
    @Navi Played both the Mario Odyssey level and Winter Wondermaze. Both beautiful, though I struggled to complete the former. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Theticket, glad you liked them. I think I over did the Mario Odyssey level, it's supposed to be a more relaxed level but I put so much stuff in it that people are running out of time. Certainly something to learn for next time.
  • Navi 7 Jul 2019 09:21:22 313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Levels updated.
    New one from myself.

Now you're thinking with pipes - V1P-V7V-6PF

Essentially a pipe puzzle/platforming challenge level. Never player Super Mario 3D world so it's fun to play around with it's mechanics. I love the clear pipes.
  • Navi 7 Jul 2019 09:53:13 313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice levels @GrandpaUlrira and @voden.

Love a ghost house level and Moon Jump was fun and different.
  • mikew1985 7 Jul 2019 12:35:03 14,607 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My first course attempt, it's pretty easy and I think there's a few concepts I don't quite get. Would love some of you guys to try it!

B59-HLV-9XF
  • CompetitiveDad 7 Jul 2019 13:01:30 8,155 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked this up yesterday so I've not really had a decent go as of yet, can you follow makers? I've had 10 mins on Addy's first level (which I'm loving)but it shows how limited my platformer skills currently are after years of playing shooters 😀

Looking forward to getting some practice in later on!
  • Addy__ 7 Jul 2019 13:14:56 913 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @CompetitiveDad

I think you can follow makers. Follow me mate. I won't ever be making any soul crushing levels. I've played a lot of the EG content now and love pretty much all of it. Some is too tough for me but the ideas in play are great.

I'm going through the rest of the tutorials now but I've an idea about an auto scroll car level but as always with me, the idea is better than the execution.
  • CompetitiveDad 7 Jul 2019 15:53:24 8,155 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__ have followed you and some others from here mate, well names I recognise anyway. 👍

Anyone have any tips for spotting secrets within the levels other than a different colour pipe? 😂
  • DakeyrasUK 7 Jul 2019 16:36:40 2,844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad out of place coins can be a hint, hidden blocks can be where you want to jump or beneath a ledge you cannot reach or a few spaces above a block you can see.
  • Kami 7 Jul 2019 17:30:47 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK - Yup. Also be aware that on some of the harder levels, some people "cheat" if their skills aren't so good and they'll tuck away a "Dev Exit" somewhere - so I'd say keep an eye on sheer vertical walls near the start of stages, and check 'em for a hidden block.

Not exactly a "secret", and not all of them (I'll 100% never have a dev exit... at least not one that isn't a giant stinkin' troll), but it's surprising how many people whack them in stages thinking we won't notice! :p
  • CompetitiveDad 7 Jul 2019 17:53:48 8,155 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK thanks. Going back on now so I'll keep my eyes peeled!!
  • Addy__ 7 Jul 2019 18:04:58 913 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Kami wrote:
    @DakeyrasUK - Yup. Also be aware that on some of the harder levels, some people "cheat" if their skills aren't so good and they'll tuck away a "Dev Exit" somewhere - so I'd say keep an eye on sheer vertical walls near the start of stages, and check 'em for a hidden block.

Not exactly a "secret", and not all of them (I'll 100% never have a dev exit... at least not one that isn't a giant stinkin' troll), but it's surprising how many people whack them in stages thinking we won't notice! :p
    Ha never thought of that to be honest. No way I'll ever do that. Hence why my levels will never be super painful as I wouldn't be able to finish them myself. I'm firmly in the fair and slightly challenging category.

I've whipped together a 3rd level based on the koopa car. Just need to trial run it and add some bits and bats and that's ready to go.
  • Kami 7 Jul 2019 18:28:38 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Addy__ - It was I hear quite common in MM1. Some people just wanted to watch the world burn under the banner of "impossible" levels, the kind of stuff that has a 00.00% clear rate, but of course you can't upload any stage you can't beat so they had to find a workaround and the 'Dev Exit' was it.

As numerous streamers got involved and grew to massive audiences, it went less from "impossible" to "trolly as all hell"; but again, people couldn't clear their own levels honestly so the 'Dev Exit' came into play once again.

I think it's reasonably fair to be able to honestly clear your own stage if you expect others to. Everyone has a different skill level, it's true, but Dev Exits really scream Lazy Design to me. My oh! Fireballs. stage I went over every jump, every block, every inch to make sure that whilst tough as nails - I wanted it to be tough - that it was doable, in both big and small Mario variants.

But not all stage creators are honest. And so Dev Exits exist.

Which is why I put a fake one in my "Trollin' In The Night Garden" stage... because people expect troll levels to have a dev exit, they don't expect an honest clear! XD

Edited by Kami at 18:30:01 07-07-2019
  • CompetitiveDad 7 Jul 2019 19:10:44 8,155 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You guys are making some really cunning levels, I'm really enjoying a dark souls vibe with the 'X' scattered around the screen upon death and the little notes left by players, obviously I'm dying just as much as well but this is brilliant stuff.

Cleared a level by Addy, Mike1985 and DakeyrasDAMuSeeSawUK so far, attempted a the last upload by Duffking which was too hard for me at the min, I'll go back to those when I improve.
  • Kami 7 Jul 2019 22:39:00 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad - Fun detail; the creator of a course gets an additional icon in the Information page, it's a circled red X. And when I select it, it brings up a view-only version of my stage with all the death locations on it.

I think it's to help creators make things better but since we can't just upload revisions, all it does for me is make me quietly cackle malevolently at where people are screwing up...
  • Addy__ 7 Jul 2019 23:24:36 913 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    3rd stage done.

Cruisin for a Bruisin

6RY-0XN-6XG
  • DakeyrasUK 7 Jul 2019 23:50:04 2,844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bet there are some chumps with dev exits that haven't thought about how we can see how long it took the uploader to complete the level and have impossibly fast course completions as a sign.
  • TitanWarlord93 7 Jul 2019 23:56:45 375 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Second level finished and uploaded.

Through The Forest We Go

B5Y-TBG-K0H
  • Navi 8 Jul 2019 10:27:20 313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    @CompetitiveDad - Fun detail; the creator of a course gets an additional icon in the Information page, it's a circled red X. And when I select it, it brings up a view-only version of my stage with all the death locations on it.

I think it's to help creators make things better but since we can't just upload revisions, all it does for me is make me quietly cackle malevolently at where people are screwing up...
    It's a great view. Does make me really long for a revision mode though, as I always find at least one mistake or unexpected hassle in a level after I upload. I get why you can't, but uploading a whole new v2 level feels unsatisfying.
  • BearFishPie 8 Jul 2019 12:47:44 688 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Kami I really enjoyed Big Bully! As you say, itís not exactly tricky but does still require some skill to wrangle those charging nobbers without losing some climbing progress
  • Kami 8 Jul 2019 13:41:02 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Navi - indeed, I get why... but I wish I could just tweak a stage a little. Especially to fix things like softlocks.

That being said, I just finished and uploaded my MK Mythologies "tribute" stage. I regret everything forever it took me almost an hour to clear it myself for upload what am I unleashing on the world?!

If anyone wants to suffer like G did... it's called M.M. Mythologies: Zero Chill and the code is S2V-LJS-1LG

I don't think this should be on the list but if you want to see just how evil this game can be... I am a terrible person and again, there's no dev exit so anyone looking for one can forget it.

I now need to go do something good to avoid being completely twisted to evil. I may also need to burn some of these old terrible games. You realise I still own an actual disc copy of Ride to Hell: Retribution?

Edited by Kami at 13:43:16 08-07-2019
  • Kami 8 Jul 2019 13:51:48 2,700 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @BearFishPie - Thanks. As I said earlier, that one I made for my niece (when she's not grounded for punching another girl, I didn't know that!) so I didn't want it to be insultingly easy - she's 11, and the days of Uncle Kami doing all the tricky parts for her are over. I thought she'd appreciate a little cat-swiping... little did I know...

Glad people are enjoying it though, balances out my latest demonic monstrosity... XD

edit: @EvilAsprin - you, sir, I doff my cap to. 22 attempts as well... *applause sound effect*

Edited by Kami at 19:01:52 08-07-2019
  • Poorandugly 8 Jul 2019 16:57:26 602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My effort, classic winter level Mario: GC1-ST2-8GF

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.