Following Mario Maker 2 - The Eurogamer Levels Page 4

• EvilAspirin 5 Jul 2019 21:14:33 17 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TitanWarlord93 The Assault Course was supposed to be fairly easy, yet it does have a reasonably low clear rate unfortunately. There's a few others I've got that are harder that you might want to try - The EvilAspirin Express (1KC-G70-5YF) is the hardest standard course I have. The Kaizo one (MNS-LP5-4CG) has yet to be cleared but would require a decent number of attempts. Does seem like someone got pretty close to the end though.

---

I will be back to play through some more levels that you've all made soon. Just finishing up a Skytree style level I'm making. Trying to balance the difficulty so you need to have good timing but it's not frustratingly hard and is easy to reset if you screw up. It's quite a balancing act but it seems pretty good so far.
  • Navi 5 Jul 2019 21:32:20 330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Updated the level list.
    Put together a hard level this time

Goomba Patrol - QYL-30V-JHF

A sort of autoscroll/flying level.

Right, to catch up on some of the levels here, starting with @EvilAspirin's harder 2 levels (which I will almost certainly not finish).
  • EvilAspirin 5 Jul 2019 23:27:30 17 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EvilAspirin's Tree of the Sky - L97-60T-SSG

This is a "Skytree" style level. You've got to keep a vine growing up the level while rushing to make sure blocks don't stop its progress. If you mess up fret not as I've put in reset doors and you can just try again! It'll require some precision and good timing, but this is a fairly easy intro to the concept. Do watch for Koopa Troopas as they don't want you climbing and stealing the tree's riches! Should fall in the Normal category.
  • boxoctosis 5 Jul 2019 23:38:08 146 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New themed course from me - Volcano!!!

Inspired by recent tragic events in Italy, around the eruption of Stromboli, I made this course. Mario and co climb a volcano, facing rising lava, fireballs, and erm, lots of other shit.

Actually I really enjoyed making this and switching between the main level and sub level.

BW8-MT7-JYG
  • EvilAspirin 5 Jul 2019 23:43:32 17 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Navi Just played your latest. So nearly one-shot it! Got a little undone on a couple of lives by the first drop as I got pushed into the void by a falling block, but the level was really fun and well designed.

Thanks for playing mine and the comment.
  • Steifybobbins 6 Jul 2019 00:03:53 560 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BCD-P9X-QTF Super Track & Field

NOW IM NOT REMOTELY CREATIVE, but I hope this is at least a little fun trying to set a good completion time. Feedback welcome but be aware I know its basic compared to you lot. Most of your levels are great BTW.
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 00:23:13 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @EvilAspirin - That third ascent... that moving beetle... I have never, ever wanted to wage nuclear war on a single creature in my life but today, you showed me pure undistilled hatred.

Still, first clear so woo!
  • EvilAspirin 6 Jul 2019 00:31:48 17 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Kami Yeah, I put it there just to disrupt the player flow a little - a little change to what you knew. Got me a couple of times in upload when I was clearing from checkpoint. Not sure I wanted nuclear war level frustration, but it seems like it's serving its purpose!
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 00:41:29 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @EvilAspirin - Well, I've stared into the abyss. And the abyss has stared back at me.

Now to dig out my old PlayStation and that old copy of Mortal Kombat Mythologies. I have a truly abysmally evil idea...
  • Wavey 6 Jul 2019 01:15:25 868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some of your levels are so hard! Still getting through them all but good going all!
  • BearFishPie 6 Jul 2019 10:23:57 711 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OX1-82S-FHG

A new spike course, much easier to handle
  • DakeyrasUK 6 Jul 2019 10:31:40 2,924 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fi ally completed my third level - "Power cut Key hunt!?" code: LPM P48 SXG

Would peeps let me know how long it took them to complete it, think I have given too much time and if you die after a checkpoint then time really won't be an issue.

Have spent longer on this one level than any before I think. Mainly because I created a bonus area with rising swamp and then had to have the rest of that second zone designed around that mechanic which wasn't my initial plan.

Hopefully it works well... Enjoy guys and gals!
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 13:07:16 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK - Five minutes, had a few issues with the later poison area. Notes under spoiler tags;

1. Love the concept.
    2. I managed to eventually exploit this without needing a key- the second checkpoint drops you outside and you can, though it is a little tight, run right and onto the switch block. From there, you can jump over and do the last bit of the level.
    3. I also think the chain chomps are a little unnecessary. First - poison water is bad enough without one of those things biting your arse. And secondly... I mean, just seems mean. How long can they hold their breath and what are the vet bills gonna be like? XD
  • Pipedream 6 Jul 2019 13:10:12 479 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    C86-7RW-JJF

QRH-TC2-C8G

Really enjoying making levels but itís friggin hard. I was really hopeful for my 2nd one, but I ran out of ideas.
  • DakeyrasUK 6 Jul 2019 13:56:31 2,924 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kami haha yeah I put it in intentionally ( the no need for the key, the clue is in the name of the level -?)

I also had great difficulty getting rid of that cheese after the second checkpoint. Problem is you can wall jump off the on/off to the wall and then onto the ledge above. But if I made those blue blocks a wall you could easily reach that top area by jumping from on top of the on/off switch and doing a single wall jump.

I figured giving a cheese option better than making the secret section too easy to reach.

I get what you are saying about the chain chomps, poor blighters. I just felt the first section was really quite devoid of threat, just confusion. They also bark so the player should be wary of approaching them too quickly.

None the less really appreciate the feedback!

Forgot to add that although you don't need a key it is a tradeoff as that in between zone can be pretty deadly.

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 14:20:31 06-07-2019
  • GrandpaUlrira 6 Jul 2019 14:07:17 3,824 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I nice gentle course with floaty physics: Moon Jump SSW-T43-65G.

I'll give a few of the ones in this thread a try now!
  • GrandpaUlrira 6 Jul 2019 14:21:10 3,824 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Pipedream

Hey, I liked the first one, Pesky Ice, but it's a little mean not to give at least another mushroom after the first checkpoint. Quite a lot of instadeath with added slippy ice!
  • Theticket 6 Jul 2019 14:37:55 118 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At long (long, long) last, I've finished my new course, which tries to be something close to a classic Mario Ghost House. Some feedback would be amazing. Now I can get back to playing all the new levels from you guys.

Spooktacular Ghost House
    XLP-6H7-L0G
  • voden 6 Jul 2019 14:38:13 743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I made another level if anyone fancies a run through.

B95-LHK-QQF

Edited by voden at 14:42:41 06-07-2019
  • Navi 6 Jul 2019 15:15:09 330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Level list updated.

Thanks @EvilAspirin, really enjoyed your train level. Love the design of your kazio level too, just need to learn how to nail the spin jump section.

And @BearFishPie, same goes for your Veni Vidi Vici level, great fun, just need to nail the last section.

Both great fun to keep trying.
  • Duffking 6 Jul 2019 17:57:40 16,262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New one from me:

The Temple of Shroom
    BCV-DRW-69G

I wanted to have some fun with auto scrolling and create a sort of indiana jones style level - safe-ish on the way in, but then you collect an item and all hell breaks loose on the way out! Took quite a lot of planning but I think it came together quite nicely!

Vid clip
  • EvilAspirin 6 Jul 2019 20:28:39 17 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Duffking It really has. I suggest that everyone gives this level a go. Great level design.
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 20:32:32 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @EvilAspirin - Agreed, that's a really great stage @Duffking. Genuinely enjoyed that despite my occasional clumsy slip!
  • Theticket 6 Jul 2019 21:04:46 118 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kami Tried your Trollin' in the night garden. Good god.
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 21:14:21 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Theticket - I'm sorry... it's all in good fun though. And I'm quite pleased how all the background effects lined up, helped get my eye in for the "oh! Fireballs." level.

Details are important.

That said, I hid plenty of good mushrooms about the place.
  • Theticket 6 Jul 2019 21:24:12 118 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll try your oh fireballs next. Currently trying to somehow complete the EvilAspirin's Assault course level. It's brutal but clever enough to make me persevere...for now. Have a shot at my ghost house level I posted above at some point - and be brutally honest, please. I'm pleased with it but I imagine compared to the sort of thing Duffking is producing it is shit.
  • Kami 6 Jul 2019 21:27:44 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Theticket - Will boot it up in a moment.

oh! Fireballs - the timer is VERY tight, but it is doable (I had 5 seconds left on the clock). Remember that spinning in the air can delay your fall - necessary for one of the larger jumps, you'll need to spin twice to get the distance you need.

edit; One shot your stage. Really nice stage, can't really fault it as it's a really nice ghost house rush. Not sure if the laughs at the end were necessary, kinda ruined the mood a tiny bit (could have had some of the scary effects there just to get people twitchy) but that's a pretty small detail.

Edited by Kami at 21:32:31 06-07-2019
  • Theticket 6 Jul 2019 21:33:50 118 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @EvilAspirin
    Just tried you Assault Course level. Well done - some brilliant ideas and, even though I found it tough, it was novel enough to keep me pushing on to completion. I still reckon you should have a checkpoint after that horrible POW block bit with the giant goomba at the start!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.